From: bks...@panix.com (Bradley K. Sherman)
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Subject: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Date: 21 Sep 2023 15:03:42 -0000
 by: Bradley K. Sherman - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:03 UTC

| Milley had chosen a severely wounded Army captain, Luis
| Avila, to sing "God Bless America." Avila, who had
| completed five combat tours, had lost a leg in an IED
| attack in Afghanistan, and had suffered two heart attacks,
| two strokes, and brain damage as a result of his injuries.
| To Milley, and to four-star generals across the Army, Avila
| and his wife, Claudia, represented the heroism, sacrifice,
| and dignity of wounded soldiers.
|
| It had rained that day, and the ground was soft; at one
| point Avila's wheelchair threatened to topple over.
| Milley's wife, Holly­anne, ran to help Avila, as did Vice
| President Mike Pence. After Avila's performance, Trump
| walked over to congratulate him, but then said to Milley,
| within earshot of several witnesses, "Why do you bring
| people like that here? No one wants to see that, the
| wounded." Never let Avila appear in public again, Trump
| told Milley. (Recently, Milley invited Avila to sing at his
| retirement ceremony.)
<https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2023/11/general-mark-milley-trump-coup/675375/>

--bks

Re: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

<X7_OM.104463$GHI6.68328@fx17.iad>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=31550&group=alt.politics#31550

From: lb...@cap.con (Lou Bricano)
Subject: Re: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2023 09:25:26 -0700
 by: Lou Bricano - Thu, 21 Sep 2023 16:25 UTC

On 9/21/2023 8:03 AM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
> | Milley had chosen a severely wounded Army captain, Luis
> | Avila, to sing "God Bless America." Avila, who had
> | completed five combat tours, had lost a leg in an IED
> | attack in Afghanistan, and had suffered two heart attacks,
> | two strokes, and brain damage as a result of his injuries.
> | To Milley, and to four-star generals across the Army, Avila
> | and his wife, Claudia, represented the heroism, sacrifice,
> | and dignity of wounded soldiers.
> |
> | It had rained that day, and the ground was soft; at one
> | point Avila's wheelchair threatened to topple over.
> | Milley's wife, Holly­anne, ran to help Avila, as did Vice
> | President Mike Pence. After Avila's performance, Trump
> | walked over to congratulate him, but then said to Milley,
> | within earshot of several witnesses, "Why do you bring
> | people like that here? No one wants to see that, the
> | wounded." Never let Avila appear in public again, Trump
> | told Milley. (Recently, Milley invited Avila to sing at his
> | retirement ceremony.)

We know that happened. That's just who and what Trump is: a vile, filthy piece
of garbage.

These sorts of moments, which would grow in intensity and velocity, were
disturbing to Milley. As a veteran of multiple combat tours in Iraq and
Afghanistan, he had buried 242 soldiers who’d served under his command.
Milley’s family venerated the military, and Trump’s attitude toward the
uniformed services seemed superficial, callous, and, at the deepest human
level, repugnant.

Everything about Trump is repugnant to everyone with even a shred of decency.

The title of that Atlantic article is superb:

"The Patriot: How General Mark Milley protected the Constitution from Donald Trump"

Spot-on correct.

Re: Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind

<G0WdnVTd9o0K-5D4nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=31563&group=alt.politics#31563

Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 05:04:07 -0500
Newsgroups: talk.politics.misc,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics
From: jun...@nogood.com (David Hartung)
 by: David Hartung - Fri, 22 Sep 2023 10:04 UTC

On 9/21/23 11:25, Lou Bricano wrote:
> On 9/21/2023 8:03 AM, Bradley K. Sherman wrote:
>>   | ...
>>   | Milley had chosen a severely wounded Army captain, Luis
>>   | Avila, to sing "God Bless America." Avila, who had
>>   | completed five combat tours, had lost a leg in an IED
>>   | attack in Afghanistan, and had suffered two heart attacks,
>>   | two strokes, and brain damage as a result of his injuries.
>>   | To Milley, and to four-star generals across the Army, Avila
>>   | and his wife, Claudia, represented the heroism, sacrifice,
>>   | and dignity of wounded soldiers.
>>   | It had rained that day, and the ground was soft; at one
>>   | point Avila's wheelchair threatened to topple over.
>>   | Milley's wife, Holly­anne, ran to help Avila, as did Vice
>>   | President Mike Pence. After Avila's performance, Trump
>>   | walked over to congratulate him, but then said to Milley,
>>   | within earshot of several witnesses, "Why do you bring
>>   | people like that here? No one wants to see that, the
>>   | wounded." Never let Avila appear in public again, Trump
>>   | told Milley. (Recently, Milley invited Avila to sing at his
>>   | retirement ceremony.)
>
> We know that happened.  That's just who and what Trump is:  a vile,
> filthy piece of garbage.
>
>    These sorts of moments, which would grow in intensity and velocity,
> were
>    disturbing to Milley. As a veteran of multiple combat tours in Iraq and
>    Afghanistan, he had buried 242 soldiers who’d served under his command.
>    Milley’s family venerated the military, and Trump’s attitude toward the
>    uniformed services seemed superficial, callous, and, at the deepest
> human
>    level, repugnant.
>
> Everything about Trump is repugnant to everyone with even a shred of
> decency.

Like you, no one has ever accused Trump of having class.

interests / alt.politics / Out Of Sight, Out Of Mind