"Engineering without management is art." -- Jeff Johnson

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: Gold Gloves, parody artMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody artMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<AcednZimJ-mU7Gv9nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3147&group=rec.games.trivia#3147

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 01:45:29 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 06:45 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
Name that town.

2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

* Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers

The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been presented since 1957 to the
players deemed to be the best at baseball's 9 fielding positions --
that is to say, the best defensive players. In its initial year,
only one award was made for each position for all of Major League
baseball. Since 1958, there """have been""" separate awards for
each position for the American and National Leagues. This round
asks about some celebrated Gold Glovers.

1. """No one has won""" more Gold Gloves than this pitcher, with
18 to his name. He """has""" the second-most wins of any pitcher
in modern (post-1920) baseball history, """is""" a 4-time Cy
Young award winner, and """wears""" a 1995 World Series ring.
Name him.

2. """Still active""", this catcher """leads all""" at his position
with 13 career Gold Gloves. He """has""" caught more games
than any catcher in history and was a member of the 2003 World
Series champions.

3. Talk about a brother act. All three of these brothers """are"""
catchers, and two """have""" won Gold Gloves. Two have also
played for the Blue Jays. Give the family name.

4. """Two fathers and sons have won""" Gold Gloves. Coincidentally,
all four of these individuals share the initials B.B.
Give either *surname*.

5. Two players """lead""" in career outfield Gold Gloves with a
dozen apiece. One of them became, in 1971, the first recipient
of an annual trophy for sportsmanship and humanitarianism that is
named after the other. Name either of these outfielding greats.

6. This third baseman played his entire career, 1955 to 1977, for
the same team, winning 16 consecutive Gold Gloves along the way.
They called him "the Human Vacuum Cleaner". What """is"""
his real name?

7. This first baseman reeled off 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards
for two teams. He won World Series rings with both teams, the
first in 1982, the second in 1986. A hard partier, he became
something of a celebrity, including some memorable appearances on
"Seinfeld".

8. This second baseman started his career in 1988 with the San
Diego Padres before moving on to better things. """Still"""
the all-time leader at his position with 10 Gold Gloves, he was
also a clutch hitter, with 4 Silver Slugger awards to his credit.

9. Aside from Roberto Alomar, """7 other players have won Gold
Gloves as Blue Jays""". The first two, in 1986, were a shortstop
and a right fielder. Name *either one*.

10. The """most recent""" Blue Jay infielder to win the award was a
second baseman who picked it up in 2005. Never a favorite of
Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, he was shipped off in
2006 and has gone on to snatch """three""" more Gold Gloves
with other teams.

* Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies

Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg

For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
parodied. You give the letter of the picture.

1. Eugène Delacroix.
2. Henri Rousseau.
3. Jan van Eyck.
4. Raphael.

After finishing with #1-4, please decode the rot13 to see the
remaining questions #5-10, where we give a letter and you name
the artist parodied. And then if you like, for fun, but for no
points, go on to #11-14 (also in rot13), which were the decoys
on the original handout.

Abgr gung fbzr vzntrf hfr punenpgref perngrq ol Zngg Tebravat,
Wrna qr Oehaubss, Hqremb, naq Wvz Urafba -- bhgfgnaqvat negvfgf
va gurve bja evtug. Ohg nf abar bs gur sbhe perngrq nal bs gur
*cnvagvatf* orvat fcbbsrq, gurve anzrf jvyy abg svther nf nafjref.

5. R.
6. Z.
7. X.
8. Y.
9. U.

10. Zber bs n znfuhc guna n cnebql, Q qenjf ba gur jbex bs gjb
negvfgf. Bar vf <nafjre 5>; cyrnfr anzr gur bgure. (Vs lbh
qvqa'g trg #5, V'yy npprcg rvgure anzr urer.)

11. S (sebz urer ba ner qrpblf).
12. T.
13. W.
14. A.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just to be clear, pythons
msb@vex.net do not have feet." --Tony Cooper

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<XnsAD6DE954F7F9Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3148&group=rec.games.trivia#3148

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2021 22:56:14 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 20 Jul 2021 20:56 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad
> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg
>
> For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
> parodied. You give the letter of the picture.
>
> 1. Eugène Delacroix.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Jan van Eyck.

> 4. Raphael.

> 5. R.

Renoir

> 6. Z.
> 7. X.
> 8. Y.
> 9. U.

Edvard Munch

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<XnsAD6DEF35D7553gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3149&group=rec.games.trivia#3149

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 04:30:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 04:30 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AcednZimJ-mU7Gv9nZ2dnUU7-
KXNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad
> 2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
> formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
> government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

Geronimo
> * Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers
>
> The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been presented since 1957 to the
> players deemed to be the best at baseball's 9 fielding positions --
> that is to say, the best defensive players. In its initial year,
> only one award was made for each position for all of Major League
> baseball. Since 1958, there """have been""" separate awards for
> each position for the American and National Leagues. This round
> asks about some celebrated Gold Glovers.
>
> 4. """Two fathers and sons have won""" Gold Gloves. Coincidentally,
> all four of these individuals share the initials B.B.
> Give either *surname*.

Bonds
> 5. Two players """lead""" in career outfield Gold Gloves with a
> dozen apiece. One of them became, in 1971, the first recipient
> of an annual trophy for sportsmanship and humanitarianism that is
> named after the other. Name either of these outfielding greats.

Clemente

> 6. This third baseman played his entire career, 1955 to 1977, for
> the same team, winning 16 consecutive Gold Gloves along the way.
> They called him "the Human Vacuum Cleaner". What """is"""
> his real name?

Brooks Robinson
> 7. This first baseman reeled off 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards
> for two teams. He won World Series rings with both teams, the
> first in 1982, the second in 1986. A hard partier, he became
> something of a celebrity, including some memorable appearances on
> "Seinfeld".

Hernandez

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg
>
> For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
> parodied. You give the letter of the picture.
>
> 1. Eug�ne Delacroix.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Jan van Eyck.

> 4. Raphael.

> After finishing with #1-4, please decode the rot13 to see the
> remaining questions #5-10, where we give a letter and you name
> the artist parodied. And then if you like, for fun, but for no
> points, go on to #11-14 (also in rot13), which were the decoys
> on the original handout.
>
> Abgr gung fbzr vzntrf hfr punenpgref perngrq ol Zngg Tebravat,
> Wrna qr Oehaubss, Hqremb, naq Wvz Urafba -- bhgfgnaqvat negvfgf
> va gurve bja evtug. Ohg nf abar bs gur sbhe perngrq nal bs gur
> *cnvagvatf* orvat fcbbsrq, gurve anzrf jvyy abg svther nf nafjref.
>
> 5. R.

Manet

> 6. Z.

Gainsborough

> 7. X.

Wood

> 8. Y.

Rembrandt

> 9. U.

Munch
> 10. Zber bs n znfuhc guna n cnebql, Q qenjf ba gur jbex bs gjb
> negvfgf. Bar vf <nafjre 5>; cyrnfr anzr gur bgure. (Vs lbh
> qvqa'g trg #5, V'yy npprcg rvgure anzr urer.)

Picasso
> 11. S (sebz urer ba ner qrpblf).

Seurat

> 13. W.

Leonardo da Vinci

> 14. A.

Hopper
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<sd8ouk$1a4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3150&group=rec.games.trivia#3150

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 02:21:22 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 09:21 UTC

On 7/19/21 11:45 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad

> 2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
> formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
> government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

Geronimo

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers
>
> The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been presented since 1957 to the
> players deemed to be the best at baseball's 9 fielding positions --
> that is to say, the best defensive players. In its initial year,
> only one award was made for each position for all of Major League
> baseball. Since 1958, there """have been""" separate awards for
> each position for the American and National Leagues. This round
> asks about some celebrated Gold Glovers.
>
> 1. """No one has won""" more Gold Gloves than this pitcher, with
> 18 to his name. He """has""" the second-most wins of any pitcher
> in modern (post-1920) baseball history, """is""" a 4-time Cy
> Young award winner, and """wears""" a 1995 World Series ring.
> Name him.
>
> 2. """Still active""", this catcher """leads all""" at his position
> with 13 career Gold Gloves. He """has""" caught more games
> than any catcher in history and was a member of the 2003 World
> Series champions.
>
> 3. Talk about a brother act. All three of these brothers """are"""
> catchers, and two """have""" won Gold Gloves. Two have also
> played for the Blue Jays. Give the family name.
>
> 4. """Two fathers and sons have won""" Gold Gloves. Coincidentally,
> all four of these individuals share the initials B.B.
> Give either *surname*.

Bonds

> 5. Two players """lead""" in career outfield Gold Gloves with a
> dozen apiece. One of them became, in 1971, the first recipient
> of an annual trophy for sportsmanship and humanitarianism that is
> named after the other. Name either of these outfielding greats.

Mays

> 6. This third baseman played his entire career, 1955 to 1977, for
> the same team, winning 16 consecutive Gold Gloves along the way.
> They called him "the Human Vacuum Cleaner". What """is"""
> his real name?
>
> 7. This first baseman reeled off 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards
> for two teams. He won World Series rings with both teams, the
> first in 1982, the second in 1986. A hard partier, he became
> something of a celebrity, including some memorable appearances on
> "Seinfeld".
>
> 8. This second baseman started his career in 1988 with the San
> Diego Padres before moving on to better things. """Still"""
> the all-time leader at his position with 10 Gold Gloves, he was
> also a clutch hitter, with 4 Silver Slugger awards to his credit.
>
> 9. Aside from Roberto Alomar, """7 other players have won Gold
> Gloves as Blue Jays""". The first two, in 1986, were a shortstop
> and a right fielder. Name *either one*.
>
> 10. The """most recent""" Blue Jay infielder to win the award was a
> second baseman who picked it up in 2005. Never a favorite of
> Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, he was shipped off in
> 2006 and has gone on to snatch """three""" more Gold Gloves
> with other teams.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg
>
> For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
> parodied. You give the letter of the picture.
>
> 1. Eugène Delacroix.
> 2. Henri Rousseau.
> 3. Jan van Eyck.
> 4. Raphael.

> After finishing with #1-4, please decode the rot13 to see the
> remaining questions #5-10, where we give a letter and you name
> the artist parodied. And then if you like, for fun, but for no
> points, go on to #11-14 (also in rot13), which were the decoys
> on the original handout.
>
> Abgr gung fbzr vzntrf hfr punenpgref perngrq ol Zngg Tebravat,
> Wrna qr Oehaubss, Hqremb, naq Wvz Urafba -- bhgfgnaqvat negvfgf
> va gurve bja evtug. Ohg nf abar bs gur sbhe perngrq nal bs gur
> *cnvagvatf* orvat fcbbsrq, gurve anzrf jvyy abg svther nf nafjref.
>
> 5. R.
> 6. Z.
> 7. X.

Grant Woods

> 8. Y.
> 9. U.

Edvard Munch

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<sdaaau$cat$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3151&group=rec.games.trivia#3151

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:24:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 21 Jul 2021 23:24 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad

> 2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
> formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
> government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

Geronimo

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers

> 3. Talk about a brother act. All three of these brothers """are"""
> catchers, and two """have""" won Gold Gloves. Two have also
> played for the Blue Jays. Give the family name.

Alou

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies

> 1. Eug?ne Delacroix.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

> 3. Jan van Eyck.

> 4. Raphael.

> 5. R.

Manet; Degas

> 6. Z.

Gainsborough

> 7. X.

Grant Wood

> 8. Y.

Vermeer

> 9. U.

Munch

> 10. Zber bs n znfuhc guna n cnebql, Q qenjf ba gur jbex bs gjb
> negvfgf. Bar vf <nafjre 5>; cyrnfr anzr gur bgure. (Vs lbh
> qvqa'g trg #5, V'yy npprcg rvgure anzr urer.)

Picasso

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: Gold Gloves, parody art

<HZidnU1829Pw0mf9nZ2dnUU7-V_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3152&group=rec.games.trivia#3152

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3 answers: Gold Gloves, parody art
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2021 00:11:09 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 23 Jul 2021 05:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad. Everyone -- Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum --
got this.

Major James Abbott even wrote a poem about how wonderful the place
was; "The Guardian" newspaper considered it one of the worst poems
ever written.

> 2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
> formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
> government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

Geronimo. Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum got this.

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers

> The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been presented since 1957 to the
> players deemed to be the best at baseball's 9 fielding positions --
> that is to say, the best defensive players. In its initial year,
> only one award was made for each position for all of Major League
> baseball. Since 1958, there """have been""" separate awards for
> each position for the American and National Leagues. This round
> asks about some celebrated Gold Glovers.

Still true.

> 1. """No one has won""" more Gold Gloves than this pitcher, with
> 18 to his name. He """has""" the second-most wins of any pitcher
> in modern (post-1920) baseball history, """is""" a 4-time Cy
> Young award winner, and """wears""" a 1995 World Series ring.
> Name him.

Greg Maddux. (Still alive and all still true.)

> 2. """Still active""", this catcher """leads all""" at his position
> with 13 career Gold Gloves. He """has""" caught more games
> than any catcher in history and was a member of the 2003 World
> Series champions.

Iván "Pudge" Rodríguez. (He retired in 2011, but is still alive
and the rest is still true.)

> 3. Talk about a brother act. All three of these brothers """are"""
> catchers, and two """have""" won Gold Gloves. Two have also
> played for the Blue Jays. Give the family name.

Molina. (All still alive. Bengie played with the Jays in 2006 and
retired in 2010; José, the one who didn't win the award, played with
the Jays in 2010-11 and retired in 2014; Yadier is still active,
now in his 18th year with St. Louis.)

> 4. """Two fathers and sons have won""" Gold Gloves. Coincidentally,
> all four of these individuals share the initials B.B.
> Give either *surname*.

(Bobby and Barry) Bonds, (Bob and Brett) Boone. (Still true.)
4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Two players """lead""" in career outfield Gold Gloves with a
> dozen apiece. One of them became, in 1971, the first recipient
> of an annual trophy for sportsmanship and humanitarianism that is
> named after the other. Name either of these outfielding greats.

Roberto Clemente (died 1972), Willie Mays (still alive; won the
inaugural Roberto Clemente Award). (Still true.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. This third baseman played his entire career, 1955 to 1977, for
> the same team, winning 16 consecutive Gold Gloves along the way.
> They called him "the Human Vacuum Cleaner". What """is"""
> his real name?

Brooks Robinson. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua.

> 7. This first baseman reeled off 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards
> for two teams. He won World Series rings with both teams, the
> first in 1982, the second in 1986. A hard partier, he became
> something of a celebrity, including some memorable appearances on
> "Seinfeld".

Keith Hernandez. (St. Louis, New York Mets. He retired in 1990
and is still alive.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. This second baseman started his career in 1988 with the San
> Diego Padres before moving on to better things. """Still"""
> the all-time leader at his position with 10 Gold Gloves, he was
> also a clutch hitter, with 4 Silver Slugger awards to his credit.

Roberto Alomar. (Still true. He retired in 2004 and is still alive.)

> 9. Aside from Roberto Alomar, """7 other players have won Gold
> Gloves as Blue Jays""". The first two, in 1986, were a shortstop
> and a right fielder. Name *either one*.

Tony Fernandez, Jesse Barfield. (There have since been two more.)

What, nobody noticed that I didn't substitute <answer 8> in the question
and go back and fill in that one?

The original version of this question indicated that shortstop
Alfredo Griffin was the first to win the award as a Jay, in 1985,
but I find that he was still with Oakland that year, so I've revised it.)

> 10. The """most recent""" Blue Jay infielder to win the award was a
> second baseman who picked it up in 2005. Never a favorite of
> Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, he was shipped off in
> 2006 and has gone on to snatch """three""" more Gold Gloves
> with other teams.

2011 answer: Orlando Hudson. (Still true.) 2021 answer: It
depends on whether pitchers are considered infielders; sources
differ on that. If not, Hudson is still correct. If they are,
the most recent is Marcus Stroman (he has only won the award once),
and I'm accepting him.

Hudson got off on the wrong foot with Ricciardi by telling the
Toronto Sun that his new boss was "a smooth-looking cat. He looks
like he was a pimp back in his day."

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 4th-easiest
in the entire season.

> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg

> For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
> parodied. You give the letter of the picture.

> 1. Eugène Delacroix.

B. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 2. Henri Rousseau.

A. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 3. Jan van Eyck.

I. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Raphael.

C. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> After finishing with #1-4, please decode the rot13 to see the
> remaining questions #5-10, where we give a letter and you name
> the artist parodied. And then if you like, for fun, but for no
> points, go on to #11-14 (also in rot13), which were the decoys
> on the original handout.

> Note that some images use characters created by Matt Groening,
> Jean de Brunhoff, Uderzo, and Jim Henson -- outstanding artists
> in their own right. But as none of the four created any of the
> *paintings* being spoofed, their names will not figure as answers.

> 5. E.

Édouard Manet. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. M.

Thomas Gainsborough. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. K.

Grant Wood. (I generously accepted "Woods".) 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 8. L.

Jan Vermeer. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 9. H.

Edvard Munch. 4 for everyone.

> 10. More of a mashup than a parody, D draws on the work of two
> artists. One is <answer 5>; please name the other. (If you
> didn't get #5, I'll accept either name here.)

Pablo Picasso. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 11. F (from here on are decoys).

Georges Seurat. Joshua got this.

> 12. G.

Rembrandt van Rijn.

> 13. J.

Leonardo da Vinci. Joshua got this.

> 14. A.

Edward Hopper. Joshua got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Art
Joshua Kreitzer 16 36 52
Dan Blum 0 35 35
Dan Tilque 8 12 20
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are informed many things,
msb@vex.net | some of them correct." --Greg Goss

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<sdhoto$ust$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3158&group=rec.games.trivia#3158

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 14:16:09 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 19:16 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion posting on
> "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.
>
> 2. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the US president for a
> formal apology last week for the code name chosen by the
> government to refer to Osama Bin Laden. What code name?

Geronimo

> * Game 1, Round 2 - Sports - Gold-Glovers
>
> The Rawlings Gold Glove Award has been presented since 1957 to the
> players deemed to be the best at baseball's 9 fielding positions --
> that is to say, the best defensive players. In its initial year,
> only one award was made for each position for all of Major League
> baseball. Since 1958, there """have been""" separate awards for
> each position for the American and National Leagues. This round
> asks about some celebrated Gold Glovers.
>
> 1. """No one has won""" more Gold Gloves than this pitcher, with
> 18 to his name. He """has""" the second-most wins of any pitcher
> in modern (post-1920) baseball history, """is""" a 4-time Cy
> Young award winner, and """wears""" a 1995 World Series ring.
> Name him.

Clemens

> 2. """Still active""", this catcher """leads all""" at his position
> with 13 career Gold Gloves. He """has""" caught more games
> than any catcher in history and was a member of the 2003 World
> Series champions.

Rodriguez

> 3. Talk about a brother act. All three of these brothers """are"""
> catchers, and two """have""" won Gold Gloves. Two have also
> played for the Blue Jays. Give the family name.
>
> 4. """Two fathers and sons have won""" Gold Gloves. Coincidentally,
> all four of these individuals share the initials B.B.
> Give either *surname*.

Bonds

> 5. Two players """lead""" in career outfield Gold Gloves with a
> dozen apiece. One of them became, in 1971, the first recipient
> of an annual trophy for sportsmanship and humanitarianism that is
> named after the other. Name either of these outfielding greats.

Clemente

> 6. This third baseman played his entire career, 1955 to 1977, for
> the same team, winning 16 consecutive Gold Gloves along the way.
> They called him "the Human Vacuum Cleaner". What """is"""
> his real name?

Brooks Robinson

> 7. This first baseman reeled off 11 consecutive Gold Glove awards
> for two teams. He won World Series rings with both teams, the
> first in 1982, the second in 1986. A hard partier, he became
> something of a celebrity, including some memorable appearances on
> "Seinfeld".
>
> 8. This second baseman started his career in 1988 with the San
> Diego Padres before moving on to better things. """Still"""
> the all-time leader at his position with 10 Gold Gloves, he was
> also a clutch hitter, with 4 Silver Slugger awards to his credit.
>
> 9. Aside from Roberto Alomar, """7 other players have won Gold
> Gloves as Blue Jays""". The first two, in 1986, were a shortstop
> and a right fielder. Name *either one*.
>
> 10. The """most recent""" Blue Jay infielder to win the award was a
> second baseman who picked it up in 2005. Never a favorite of
> Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi, he was shipped off in
> 2006 and has gone on to snatch """three""" more Gold Gloves
> with other teams.
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Art - Painting Parodies
>
> Please see: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r3/parodies.jpg
>
> For the first 4 questions, we name the artist whose work is being
> parodied. You give the letter of the picture.
>
> 1. Eugène Delacroix.
> 2. Henri Rousseau.
> 3. Jan van Eyck.
> 4. Raphael.
>
> After finishing with #1-4, please decode the rot13 to see the
> remaining questions #5-10, where we give a letter and you name
> the artist parodied. And then if you like, for fun, but for no
> points, go on to #11-14 (also in rot13), which were the decoys
> on the original handout.
>
> Abgr gung fbzr vzntrf hfr punenpgref perngrq ol Zngg Tebravat,
> Wrna qr Oehaubss, Hqremb, naq Wvz Urafba -- bhgfgnaqvat negvfgf
> va gurve bja evtug. Ohg nf abar bs gur sbhe perngrq nal bs gur
> *cnvagvatf* orvat fcbbsrq, gurve anzrf jvyy abg svther nf nafjref.
>
> 5. R.
> 6. Z.
> 7. X.
> 8. Y.
> 9. U.
>
> 10. Zber bs n znfuhc guna n cnebql, Q qenjf ba gur jbex bs gjb
> negvfgf. Bar vf <nafjre 5>; cyrnfr anzr gur bgure. (Vs lbh
> qvqa'g trg #5, V'yy npprcg rvgure anzr urer.)
>
> 11. S (sebz urer ba ner qrpblf).
> 12. T.
> 13. W.
> 14. A.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 2-3: Gold Gloves, parody art

<B6idnSTRv-jV5GH9nZ2dnUU7-cPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3160&group=rec.games.trivia#3160

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:34:16 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 24 Jul 2021 20:34 UTC

If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have
received one "Pete got this" on Round 1, and scored 16 points
on Round 2 and 0 on Round 3.
--
Mark Brader | "One of the lessons of history is that nothing
Toronto | is often a good thing to do and always a clever