Oh, well, I guess this is just going to be one of those lifetimes.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: greens, greens

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greensMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greensJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greensDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greensErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greensDan Blum
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: greens, greensMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens

<FNqdnWQQWcii_2P9nZ2dnUU7-W3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3162&group=rec.games.trivia#3162

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:20:31 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:20 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my recent companion posting on
"Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Environmentalists
and Conservationists

1. Jack McGinnis passed away in January of """this year""".
The Toronto resident is credited with the design and pilot
projects for a simple device that has become an international
icon of environmental consciousness. What was McGinnis's
innovation?

2. This Montreal-born environmental activist is credited with
founding that city's curbside recycling program. In Edmonton,
he once locked himself in a safe in Ralph Klein's office to
protest the province's stand on the Kyoto Accord. In 2000
he ran a distant but creditable second to Mel Lastman in the
Toronto mayoralty race. Name him.

3. In 1971, the Vancouver-based environmental group "Don't Make a
Wave" chartered a fishing boat called the Phyllis Cormack for a
seaborne protest. They rechristened the boat, and its new name
was later also adopted as the name of the group. What was the
boat's -- and the group's -- new name?

Please answer #3 before decoding the rot13 for the next two questions.

4. Ba gung vavgvny iblntr va 1971, gur "Terracrnpr" frg bhg sbe
Nzpuvgxn, Nynfxn. Vg jnf ghearq onpx ol gur HF Anil ybat
orsber ernpuvat vgf qrfgvangvba, ohg gur cebgrfg iblntr qerj
vagreangvbany nggragvba gb vgf pnhfr. Gur iblntr jnf cebgrfgvat
ntnvafg *jung* unccravat va Nynfxn?

5. Guvf pb-sbhaqre bs Terracrnpr yrq gurve svefg nagv-junyvat
pnzcnvtaf naq jnf anzrq ol "Gvzr" nf bar bs gur "rpb-urebrf"
bs gur 20gu praghel. Ur yngre jbexrq nf n pbzzragngbe sbe gur
"Inapbhire Fha", PVGL-GI, naq "Rlr" jrrxyl, naq ena va 2001
sbe gur Bagnevb Yvoreny Cnegl va Ornpurf -- Rnfg Lbex. Ur qvrq
va 2006. Anzr uvz.

6. This well-known Canadian activist """has""" her finger in just
about everything, including our drinking water. She """is"""
a co-founder of the "Blue Planet" right-to-water project, chair
of the Washington-based "Food and Water Watch", and has served
as senior advisor on water to the United Nations. Name her.

7. Born 1865, died 1944, this ornithologist and public lecturer
turned his property in Essex County into a bird sanctuary and
began banding birds to record their migratory habits from 1909.
Canada's wildlife week is celebrated each year in the week of
his birthday, April 10. Name him.

8. Born Archibald Belaney in England in 1888, he created a false
identity for himself as a pure-blood Ojibway. His hoax
fooled the world, and for decades he toured and lectured on
the importance of conservation. Consequently, by what name
is Belaney better known?

9. Alberta drywaller Wiebo Ludwig """is""" probably Canada's most
famous eco-terrorist. He was convicted in 2001 of bombings
and other acts of sabotage. Against what?

10. The first person to hold this Canadian political post, from
1983 to 1984, was Dr. Trevor Hancock. Others since have included
Kathryn Cholette, Joan Russow and, from 2003 to 2006, Jim Harris.
Which political office? Be fully specific.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Salad Greens

Nobody serves just iceberg lettuce any more. It's about time you
showed off your knowledge of that "Mesclun mix" on your plate next
to your burger.

We give you the name of the salad green, including alternate names.
You give its letter on the 2-page handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r8/greens.pdf

1. Frisée, also known as curly endive, chicory endive, or curly
chicory.

2. Dandelion leaf.

3. Radicchio ["ra-dick-ee-yo"], also known as chioggia, red chicory,
red leaf chicory, or red Italian chicory.

4. Mizuna, also known as Japanese greens, spider mustard, kyona,
potherb mustard, California peppergrass, or xue cai
["shway-tsigh"].

5. Escarole, also known as broad-leaved endive, scarole, or
Batavian endive.

6. Red oakleaf lettuce.

7. Baby beet leaf.

8. Red mustard leaf.

9. Arugula, also known as rocket, Mediterranean rocket, roquette,
Italian cress, rugola, rugula, or rucola.

10. Baby spinach.

After you have finished with these, decode the rot13 if you want to
see what the others are, and give the letters if you like for fun,
but for no points.

11. Na npghny bnx yrns.
12. Vproret yrgghpr.
13. Fjvff puneq.
14. Ybyyb ebffn.
15. Gngfbv.
16. Jngreperff.
17. Pbyyneq terraf.
18. Onfvy.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Dr. Slipher, I have found your Planet X."
msb@vex.net -- Clyde Tombaugh (1906-97), 1930-02-18

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens

<XnsAD7319836A3F1gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3165&group=rec.games.trivia#3165

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:30:29 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 07:30 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:FNqdnWQQWcii_2P9nZ2dnUU7-
W3NnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Environmentalists
> and Conservationists
>
> 3. In 1971, the Vancouver-based environmental group "Don't Make a
> Wave" chartered a fishing boat called the Phyllis Cormack for a
> seaborne protest. They rechristened the boat, and its new name
> was later also adopted as the name of the group. What was the
> boat's -- and the group's -- new name?

Greenpeace

> Please answer #3 before decoding the rot13 for the next two questions.
>
> 4. Ba gung vavgvny iblntr va 1971, gur "Terracrnpr" frg bhg sbe
> Nzpuvgxn, Nynfxn. Vg jnf ghearq onpx ol gur HF Anil ybat
> orsber ernpuvat vgf qrfgvangvba, ohg gur cebgrfg iblntr qerj
> vagreangvbany nggragvba gb vgf pnhfr. Gur iblntr jnf cebgrfgvat
> ntnvafg *jung* unccravat va Nynfxn?

whaling

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Salad Greens
>
> We give you the name of the salad green, including alternate names.
> You give its letter on the 2-page handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r8/greens.pdf

I think I did badly on this round 10 years ago, and I'm probably going
to do badly again.
> 1. Fris�e, also known as curly endive, chicory endive, or curly
> chicory.

D; O

> 2. Dandelion leaf.

E; G
> 3. Radicchio ["ra-dick-ee-yo"], also known as chioggia, red chicory,
> red leaf chicory, or red Italian chicory.

B; N

> 4. Mizuna, also known as Japanese greens, spider mustard, kyona,
> potherb mustard, California peppergrass, or xue cai
> ["shway-tsigh"].

P; J
> 5. Escarole, also known as broad-leaved endive, scarole, or
> Batavian endive.

K; A

> 6. Red oakleaf lettuce.

R; N
> 7. Baby beet leaf.

N; R

> 8. Red mustard leaf.

R; N
> 9. Arugula, also known as rocket, Mediterranean rocket, roquette,
> Italian cress, rugola, rugula, or rucola.

M; A

> 10. Baby spinach.

I; G
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens

<sdlttb$isk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3166&group=rec.games.trivia#3166

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 02:05:45 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 09:05 UTC

On 7/26/21 12:20 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Environmentalists
> and Conservationists
>
> 1. Jack McGinnis passed away in January of """this year""".
> The Toronto resident is credited with the design and pilot
> projects for a simple device that has become an international
> icon of environmental consciousness. What was McGinnis's
> innovation?

recycling bin

> 2. This Montreal-born environmental activist is credited with
> founding that city's curbside recycling program. In Edmonton,
> he once locked himself in a safe in Ralph Klein's office to
> protest the province's stand on the Kyoto Accord. In 2000
> he ran a distant but creditable second to Mel Lastman in the
> Toronto mayoralty race. Name him.
>
> 3. In 1971, the Vancouver-based environmental group "Don't Make a
> Wave" chartered a fishing boat called the Phyllis Cormack for a
> seaborne protest. They rechristened the boat, and its new name
> was later also adopted as the name of the group. What was the
> boat's -- and the group's -- new name?

Greenpeace

> Please answer #3 before decoding the rot13 for the next two questions.
>
> 4. Ba gung vavgvny iblntr va 1971, gur "Terracrnpr" frg bhg sbe
> Nzpuvgxn, Nynfxn. Vg jnf ghearq onpx ol gur HF Anil ybat
> orsber ernpuvat vgf qrfgvangvba, ohg gur cebgrfg iblntr qerj
> vagreangvbany nggragvba gb vgf pnhfr. Gur iblntr jnf cebgrfgvat
> ntnvafg *jung* unccravat va Nynfxn?

underground nuclear test

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens

<XnsAD73F37A190A3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3167&group=rec.games.trivia#3167

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2021 23:56:05 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 26 Jul 2021 21:56 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Salad Greens
> 1. Frisée, also known as curly endive, chicory endive, or curly
> chicory.

> 2. Dandelion leaf.

> 3. Radicchio ["ra-dick-ee-yo"], also known as chioggia, red chicory,
> red leaf chicory, or red Italian chicory.

> 4. Mizuna, also known as Japanese greens, spider mustard, kyona,
> potherb mustard, California peppergrass, or xue cai
> ["shway-tsigh"].

> 5. Escarole, also known as broad-leaved endive, scarole, or
> Batavian endive.
>
> 6. Red oakleaf lettuce.

> 7. Baby beet leaf.

> 8. Red mustard leaf.

> 9. Arugula, also known as rocket, Mediterranean rocket, roquette,
> Italian cress, rugola, rugula, or rucola.

> 10. Baby spinach.

> After you have finished with these, decode the rot13 if you want to
> see what the others are, and give the letters if you like for fun,
> but for no points.
>
> 11. Na npghny bnx yrns.

> 12. Vproret yrgghpr.

> 18. Onfvy.

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8: greens, greens

<sdnrsk$eva$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3168&group=rec.games.trivia#3168

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2021 02:43:32 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 27 Jul 2021 02:43 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Environmentalists
> and Conservationists

> 3. In 1971, the Vancouver-based environmental group "Don't Make a
> Wave" chartered a fishing boat called the Phyllis Cormack for a
> seaborne protest. They rechristened the boat, and its new name
> was later also adopted as the name of the group. What was the
> boat's -- and the group's -- new name?

Greenpeace

> Please answer #3 before decoding the rot13 for the next two questions.

> 4. Ba gung vavgvny iblntr va 1971, gur "Terracrnpr" frg bhg sbe
> Nzpuvgxn, Nynfxn. Vg jnf ghearq onpx ol gur HF Anil ybat
> orsber ernpuvat vgf qrfgvangvba, ohg gur cebgrfg iblntr qerj
> vagreangvbany nggragvba gb vgf pnhfr. Gur iblntr jnf cebgrfgvat
> ntnvafg *jung* unccravat va Nynfxn?

whale hunting; seal hunting

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Salad Greens

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r8/greens.pdf

> 1. Fris?e, also known as curly endive, chicory endive, or curly
> chicory.

D; H

> 2. Dandelion leaf.

> 3. Radicchio ["ra-dick-ee-yo"], also known as chioggia, red chicory,
> red leaf chicory, or red Italian chicory.

H; B

> 4. Mizuna, also known as Japanese greens, spider mustard, kyona,
> potherb mustard, California peppergrass, or xue cai
> ["shway-tsigh"].

F; I

> 5. Escarole, also known as broad-leaved endive, scarole, or
> Batavian endive.

> 6. Red oakleaf lettuce.

> 7. Baby beet leaf.

O; G

> 8. Red mustard leaf.

Q; N

> 9. Arugula, also known as rocket, Mediterranean rocket, roquette,
> Italian cress, rugola, rugula, or rucola.

> 10. Baby spinach.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: greens, greens

<6fSdnflejOhTsJ_8nZ2dnUU7-WXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3169&group=rec.games.trivia#3169

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 7-8 answers: greens, greens
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:25:50 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 04:25 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my recent companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Canadiana Science - Canadian Environmentalists
> and Conservationists

> 1. Jack McGinnis passed away in January of """this year""".
> The Toronto resident is credited with the design and pilot
> projects for a simple device that has become an international
> icon of environmental consciousness. What was McGinnis's
> innovation?

The blue box. I scored "recycling bin" as almost correct. (I reckon
the color isn't important but the style is.) 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 2. This Montreal-born environmental activist is credited with
> founding that city's curbside recycling program. In Edmonton,
> he once locked himself in a safe in Ralph Klein's office to
> protest the province's stand on the Kyoto Accord. In 2000
> he ran a distant but creditable second to Mel Lastman in the
> Toronto mayoralty race. Name him.

Tooker Gomberg. (He died in 2004.)

> 3. In 1971, the Vancouver-based environmental group "Don't Make a
> Wave" chartered a fishing boat called the Phyllis Cormack for a
> seaborne protest. They rechristened the boat, and its new name
> was later also adopted as the name of the group. What was the
> boat's -- and the group's -- new name?

Greenpeace. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> Please answer #3 before decoding the rot13 for the next two questions.

> 4. On that initial voyage in 1971, the Greenpeace set out for
> Amchitka, Alaska. It was turned back by the US Navy long
> before reaching its destination, but the protest voyage drew
> international attention to its cause. The voyage was protesting
> against *what* happening in Alaska?

Nuclear testing. (It was alleged that a tsunami could occur, hence
"Don't make a wave.") 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. This co-founder of Greenpeace led their first anti-whaling
> campaigns and was named by "Time" as one of the "eco-heroes"
> of the 20th century. He later worked as a commentator for the
> "Vancouver Sun", CITY-TV, and "Eye" weekly, and ran in 2001
> for the Ontario Liberal Party in Beaches -- East York. He died
> in 2006. Name him.

Bob Hunter.

> 6. This well-known Canadian activist """has""" her finger in just
> about everything, including our drinking water. She """is"""
> a co-founder of the "Blue Planet" right-to-water project, chair
> of the Washington-based "Food and Water Watch", and has served
> as senior advisor on water to the United Nations. Name her.

Maude Barlow. (Still alive.)

> 7. Born 1865, died 1944, this ornithologist and public lecturer
> turned his property in Essex County into a bird sanctuary and
> began banding birds to record their migratory habits from 1909.
> Canada's wildlife week is celebrated each year in the week of
> his birthday, April 10. Name him.

Jack Miner.

> 8. Born Archibald Belaney in England in 1888, he created a false
> identity for himself as a pure-blood Ojibway. His hoax
> fooled the world, and for decades he toured and lectured on
> the importance of conservation. Consequently, by what name
> is Belaney better known?

Grey Owl.

> 9. Alberta drywaller Wiebo Ludwig """is""" probably Canada's most
> famous eco-terrorist. He was convicted in 2001 of bombings
> and other acts of sabotage. Against what?

Oil and gas (wells and installations). (He died in 2012.)

> 10. The first person to hold this Canadian political post, from
> 1983 to 1984, was Dr. Trevor Hancock. Others since have included
> Kathryn Cholette, Joan Russow and, from 2003 to 2006, Jim Harris.
> Which political office? Be fully specific.

Leader of the federal Green Party.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Salad Greens

> Nobody serves just iceberg lettuce any more. It's about time you
> showed off your knowledge of that "Mesclun mix" on your plate next
> to your burger.

> We give you the name of the salad green, including alternate names.
> You give its letter on the 2-page handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g1r8/greens.pdf

> 1. Frisée, also known as curly endive, chicory endive, or curly
> chicory.

D. 3 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. Dandelion leaf.

L. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 3. Radicchio ["ra-dick-ee-yo"], also known as chioggia, red chicory,
> red leaf chicory, or red Italian chicory.

B. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Mizuna, also known as Japanese greens, spider mustard, kyona,
> potherb mustard, California peppergrass, or xue cai
> ["shway-tsigh"].

J. 2 for Joshua.

> 5. Escarole, also known as broad-leaved endive, scarole, or
> Batavian endive.

A. 2 for Joshua.

> 6. Red oakleaf lettuce.

N. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua.

> 7. Baby beet leaf.

Q. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 8. Red mustard leaf.

M.

> 9. Arugula, also known as rocket, Mediterranean rocket, roquette,
> Italian cress, rugola, rugula, or rucola.

E. 4 for Erland.

> 10. Baby spinach.

P. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> After you have finished with these, decode the rot13 if you want to
> see what the others are, and give the letters if you like for fun,
> but for no points.

> 11. An actual oak leaf.

R. Erland got this.

> 12. Iceberg lettuce.

C. Erland got this.

> 13. Swiss chard.

I.

> 14. Lollo rossa.

H.

> 15. Tatsoi.

G.

> 16. Watercress.

O.

> 17. Collard greens.

K.

> 18. Basil.

F.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Art His Can Mis THREE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 36 16 4 12 68
Dan Blum 0 35 4 4 20 59
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 11 8 31
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 12 0 8 20
Pete Gayde -- -- 8 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "It never occurred to me that a living person could be
Toronto | used as a blowtorch, but we admit human beings are a