"We will bury you." -- Nikita Kruschev

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: not Bond, challenge round

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge roundMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge roundJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge roundErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge roundDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge roundPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: not Bond, challenge roundMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round

<xpqdnX_m3KFCs5_8nZ2dnUU7-NnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3170&group=rec.games.trivia#3170

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 23:30:23 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 04:30 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Bond, Not Bond

Sean Connery's best-known role is as the suave fellow on Her
Majesty's Secret Service. But he did make a few other films as
well, and those are the ones we'll be asking about. In each case,
name the movie.

1. Who better to play a Berber chieftain than a very white actor
from Edinburgh? This 1975 Connery adventure concerns Theodore
Roosevelt's attempts to rescue an American woman and her children
kidnapped by Connery's El Raisuli. Candice Bergen is the damsel;
Brian Keith plays Roosevelt.

2. About as far out, man, as science-fiction films get, this 1974
disaster features a savage, far-future Connery dealing with
the fey immortals who run the Earth. As a bonus, Sean plays
most of the film in leather pants or jockstrap.

3. Back when he was just a pretty face, Sean starred as the "himbo"
opposite Lana Turner in this 1958 romance. She was an American
journalist; he, her BBC boy-toy.

4. In one of his most critically lauded roles, Connery stars as
an inmate in a North African military prison during World War II.
This 1965 film also features Michael Redgrave and Harry Andrews.

5. Name the 1970 film in which Connery is the leader of a secret
society of immigrant coal miners in 1870s Pennsylvania.
Richard Harris plays the undercover detective sent to infiltrate
the group.

6. Right up there with <answer 2> in the Connery weird file is
this 1959 fantasy-romance in which Sean has to deal with the
king of the leprechauns. Your bonus here is Connery warbling
"A Pretty Irish Girl". Thankfully, that was the end of his
singing career.

7. In this 1999 caper, Catherine Zeta-Jones plays an undercover
insurance investigator who joins art thief Sean's attempt
to steal a priceless object in order to foil it. Or is that
what's happening? Anyway, an age-inappropriate romance blooms.

8. Written and directed by Michael Crichton, name this 1979 Connery
caper about a famous 19th-century heist. Co-starring Donald
Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down.

9. Name the 1995 romantic adventure starring Connery as King Arthur,
Richard Gere as Lancelot, and Julia Ormond as Guinevere.

10. In this 1981 sci-fi adventure described as "'High Noon' in
space", Connery is a marshall on a mining colony on Jupiter's
moon Io, who uncovers a drug-smuggling operation. He is aided
by a doctor played by Frances Sternhagen, and opposed by mining
boss Peter Boyle.

* Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

A. Honorary Canadians

"""Only 5 foreigners have""" received honorary Canadian citizenship --
bestowed by the G-G and approved by Parliament in recognition of
humanitarian deeds.

A1. He received Canadian citizenship in 2001, despite the
fact that Alliance MP Rob Anders called him a former
Communist and terrorist. Who?

A2. This billionaire descendant of the Prophet Mohammed was
the latest to be honored, in May 2010. Harper praised his
pluralistic view of the world during their meeting at the
foundation ceremony of his new museum. Who?

B. Canadian Supermarkets

In each case, name the parent chain.

B1. Who """owns""" Foodland, IGA, and Price Chopper?
B2. Who """owns""" Food Basics and Marché Richelieu?

C. Eurovision Song Contest

This song contest has been a TV sensation in Europe since 1956.
Like most TV contest spectacles, very few careers are ever made --
but here are a couple of exceptions.

C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
singing for Switzerland?

C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
composition, which later went on to top international charts.
Name the band.

D. Authors Dissing Authors

D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?

"I read him for the first time in the early forties,
something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
Later I read... the wonderful fish story."

Please answer question D1 before decoding the rot13.

D2. Jub jnf Rearfg Urzvatjnl gnyxvat nobhg va guvf yrggre gb
Furejbbq Naqrefba va 1921?

"[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

E. Biomimicry

E1. Named after the animal it mimics, a glueless adhesive
material is being developed. It's covered with nanoscopic
hairs, exerting van der Waals forces that provide the
adhesive effect. This design mimics the hairs on the feet
of what wall-walking animal?

E2. Blades of a turbine have been designed with bumps along the
leading edge, called "tubercles". The result is less drag
and greater efficiency for wind turbines, hydroelectric
turbines and ventilation fans. What animal's flippers
inspired these tubercles? Be sufficiently specific.

F. The Galapagos

F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
European naturalist. Who?

F2. Red-footed, blue-footed, and Nazca are just three varieties
of the seabird of the genus Sula. What naughty name are
they known by?

--
Mark Brader | "Perl is a minimalist language at heart.
Toronto | It's just minimalistic about weird things

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round

<XnsAD763C0D8D97gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3171&group=rec.games.trivia#3171

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 05:22:07 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 05:22 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:xpqdnX_m3KFCs5_8nZ2dnUU7-
NnNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Bond, Not Bond
>
> Sean Connery's best-known role is as the suave fellow on Her
> Majesty's Secret Service. But he did make a few other films as
> well, and those are the ones we'll be asking about. In each case,
> name the movie.
>
> 1. Who better to play a Berber chieftain than a very white actor
> from Edinburgh? This 1975 Connery adventure concerns Theodore
> Roosevelt's attempts to rescue an American woman and her children
> kidnapped by Connery's El Raisuli. Candice Bergen is the damsel;
> Brian Keith plays Roosevelt.

"The Wind and the Lion"

> 2. About as far out, man, as science-fiction films get, this 1974
> disaster features a savage, far-future Connery dealing with
> the fey immortals who run the Earth. As a bonus, Sean plays
> most of the film in leather pants or jockstrap.

"Zardoz"
> 5. Name the 1970 film in which Connery is the leader of a secret
> society of immigrant coal miners in 1870s Pennsylvania.
> Richard Harris plays the undercover detective sent to infiltrate
> the group.

"The Molly Maguires"
> 6. Right up there with <answer 2> in the Connery weird file is
> this 1959 fantasy-romance in which Sean has to deal with the
> king of the leprechauns. Your bonus here is Connery warbling
> "A Pretty Irish Girl". Thankfully, that was the end of his
> singing career.

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People"

> 7. In this 1999 caper, Catherine Zeta-Jones plays an undercover
> insurance investigator who joins art thief Sean's attempt
> to steal a priceless object in order to foil it. Or is that
> what's happening? Anyway, an age-inappropriate romance blooms.

"Entrapment"
> 8. Written and directed by Michael Crichton, name this 1979 Connery
> caper about a famous 19th-century heist. Co-starring Donald
> Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down.

"The Great Train Robbery" (?)

> 9. Name the 1995 romantic adventure starring Connery as King Arthur,
> Richard Gere as Lancelot, and Julia Ormond as Guinevere.

"First Knight"
> 10. In this 1981 sci-fi adventure described as "'High Noon' in
> space", Connery is a marshall on a mining colony on Jupiter's
> moon Io, who uncovers a drug-smuggling operation. He is aided
> by a doctor played by Frances Sternhagen, and opposed by mining
> boss Peter Boyle.

"Outland"
> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Honorary Canadians
>
> """Only 5 foreigners have""" received honorary Canadian citizenship --
> bestowed by the G-G and approved by Parliament in recognition of
> humanitarian deeds.
>
> A1. He received Canadian citizenship in 2001, despite the
> fact that Alliance MP Rob Anders called him a former
> Communist and terrorist. Who?

Nelson Mandela
> A2. This billionaire descendant of the Prophet Mohammed was
> the latest to be honored, in May 2010. Harper praised his
> pluralistic view of the world during their meeting at the
> foundation ceremony of his new museum. Who?

Aga Khan

> C. Eurovision Song Contest
>
> This song contest has been a TV sensation in Europe since 1956.
> Like most TV contest spectacles, very few careers are ever made --
> but here are a couple of exceptions.
>
> C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
> songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
> Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
> singing for Switzerland?

Celine Dion
> C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
> 1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
> composition, which later went on to top international charts.
> Name the band.

ABBA

> D. Authors Dissing Authors
>
> D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?
>
> "I read him for the first time in the early forties,
> something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
> Later I read... the wonderful fish story."

Hemingway

> Please answer question D1 before decoding the rot13.
>
> D2. Jub jnf Rearfg Urzvatjnl gnyxvat nobhg va guvf yrggre gb
> Furejbbq Naqrefba va 1921?
>
> "[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
> that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
> whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
> Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
> The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

Joyce

> E. Biomimicry
>
> E1. Named after the animal it mimics, a glueless adhesive
> material is being developed. It's covered with nanoscopic
> hairs, exerting van der Waals forces that provide the
> adhesive effect. This design mimics the hairs on the feet
> of what wall-walking animal?

spiders
> F. The Galapagos
>
> F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
> Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
> A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
> America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
> from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
> European naturalist. Who?

Darwin
> F2. Red-footed, blue-footed, and Nazca are just three varieties
> of the seabird of the genus Sula. What naughty name are
> they known by?

boobies

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round

<XnsAD766859165F8Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3172&group=rec.games.trivia#3172

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 10:15:28 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 08:15 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> C. Eurovision Song Contest
>
> This song contest has been a TV sensation in Europe since 1956.
> Like most TV contest spectacles, very few careers are ever made --
> but here are a couple of exceptions.
>
> C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
> songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
> Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
> singing for Switzerland?

Céline Dion
> C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
> 1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
> composition, which later went on to top international charts.
> Name the band.

ABBA
> D. Authors Dissing Authors
>
> D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?
>
> "I read him for the first time in the early forties,
> something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
> Later I read... the wonderful fish story."
>
> Please answer question D1 before decoding the rot13.

Hemingway
> D2. Jub jnf Rearfg Urzvatjnl gnyxvat nobhg va guvf yrggre gb
> Furejbbq Naqrefba va 1921?
>
> "[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
> that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
> whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
> Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
> The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

Joyce

> F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
> Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
> A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
> America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
> from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
> European naturalist. Who?

Humbolt

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round

<sdvccq$3vo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3173&group=rec.games.trivia#3173

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:08:10 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 29 Jul 2021 23:08 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Bond, Not Bond

> 2. About as far out, man, as science-fiction films get, this 1974
> disaster features a savage, far-future Connery dealing with
> the fey immortals who run the Earth. As a bonus, Sean plays
> most of the film in leather pants or jockstrap.

Zardoz

> 5. Name the 1970 film in which Connery is the leader of a secret
> society of immigrant coal miners in 1870s Pennsylvania.
> Richard Harris plays the undercover detective sent to infiltrate
> the group.

The Molly Maguires

> 8. Written and directed by Michael Crichton, name this 1979 Connery
> caper about a famous 19th-century heist. Co-starring Donald
> Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down.

The Great Train Robbery

> 9. Name the 1995 romantic adventure starring Connery as King Arthur,
> Richard Gere as Lancelot, and Julia Ormond as Guinevere.

First Knight

> 10. In this 1981 sci-fi adventure described as "'High Noon' in
> space", Connery is a marshall on a mining colony on Jupiter's
> moon Io, who uncovers a drug-smuggling operation. He is aided
> by a doctor played by Frances Sternhagen, and opposed by mining
> boss Peter Boyle.

Outland

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> B. Canadian Supermarkets

> In each case, name the parent chain.

> B1. Who """owns""" Foodland, IGA, and Price Chopper?

Aldi

> C. Eurovision Song Contest

> C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
> songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
> Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
> singing for Switzerland?

Celine Dion

> C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
> 1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
> composition, which later went on to top international charts.
> Name the band.

ABBA

> D. Authors Dissing Authors

> D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?

> "I read him for the first time in the early forties,
> something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
> Later I read... the wonderful fish story."

Ernest Hemingway

> D2. Jub jnf Rearfg Urzvatjnl gnyxvat nobhg va guvf yrggre gb
> Furejbbq Naqrefba va 1921?

> "[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
> that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
> whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
> Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
> The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

James Joyce; John O'Hara

> E. Biomimicry

> E1. Named after the animal it mimics, a glueless adhesive
> material is being developed. It's covered with nanoscopic
> hairs, exerting van der Waals forces that provide the
> adhesive effect. This design mimics the hairs on the feet
> of what wall-walking animal?

spider; gecko

> E2. Blades of a turbine have been designed with bumps along the
> leading edge, called "tubercles". The result is less drag
> and greater efficiency for wind turbines, hydroelectric
> turbines and ventilation fans. What animal's flippers
> inspired these tubercles? Be sufficiently specific.

bottlenose dolphin; orca

> F. The Galapagos

> F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
> Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
> A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
> America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
> from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
> European naturalist. Who?

Cuvier; Linnaeus

> F2. Red-footed, blue-footed, and Nazca are just three varieties
> of the seabird of the genus Sula. What naughty name are
> they known by?

booby

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not Bond, challenge round

<se1trh$10i9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3174&group=rec.games.trivia#3174

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2021 17:18:25 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 30 Jul 2021 22:18 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Bond, Not Bond
>
> Sean Connery's best-known role is as the suave fellow on Her
> Majesty's Secret Service. But he did make a few other films as
> well, and those are the ones we'll be asking about. In each case,
> name the movie.
>
> 1. Who better to play a Berber chieftain than a very white actor
> from Edinburgh? This 1975 Connery adventure concerns Theodore
> Roosevelt's attempts to rescue an American woman and her children
> kidnapped by Connery's El Raisuli. Candice Bergen is the damsel;
> Brian Keith plays Roosevelt.
>
> 2. About as far out, man, as science-fiction films get, this 1974
> disaster features a savage, far-future Connery dealing with
> the fey immortals who run the Earth. As a bonus, Sean plays
> most of the film in leather pants or jockstrap.
>
> 3. Back when he was just a pretty face, Sean starred as the "himbo"
> opposite Lana Turner in this 1958 romance. She was an American
> journalist; he, her BBC boy-toy.
>
> 4. In one of his most critically lauded roles, Connery stars as
> an inmate in a North African military prison during World War II.
> This 1965 film also features Michael Redgrave and Harry Andrews.
>
> 5. Name the 1970 film in which Connery is the leader of a secret
> society of immigrant coal miners in 1870s Pennsylvania.
> Richard Harris plays the undercover detective sent to infiltrate
> the group.
>
> 6. Right up there with <answer 2> in the Connery weird file is
> this 1959 fantasy-romance in which Sean has to deal with the
> king of the leprechauns. Your bonus here is Connery warbling
> "A Pretty Irish Girl". Thankfully, that was the end of his
> singing career.
>
> 7. In this 1999 caper, Catherine Zeta-Jones plays an undercover
> insurance investigator who joins art thief Sean's attempt
> to steal a priceless object in order to foil it. Or is that
> what's happening? Anyway, an age-inappropriate romance blooms.
>
> 8. Written and directed by Michael Crichton, name this 1979 Connery
> caper about a famous 19th-century heist. Co-starring Donald
> Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down.
>
> 9. Name the 1995 romantic adventure starring Connery as King Arthur,
> Richard Gere as Lancelot, and Julia Ormond as Guinevere.

Robin and Marian

> 10. In this 1981 sci-fi adventure described as "'High Noon' in
> space", Connery is a marshall on a mining colony on Jupiter's
> moon Io, who uncovers a drug-smuggling operation. He is aided
> by a doctor played by Frances Sternhagen, and opposed by mining
> boss Peter Boyle.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> A. Honorary Canadians
>
> """Only 5 foreigners have""" received honorary Canadian citizenship --
> bestowed by the G-G and approved by Parliament in recognition of
> humanitarian deeds.
>
> A1. He received Canadian citizenship in 2001, despite the
> fact that Alliance MP Rob Anders called him a former
> Communist and terrorist. Who?
>
> A2. This billionaire descendant of the Prophet Mohammed was
> the latest to be honored, in May 2010. Harper praised his
> pluralistic view of the world during their meeting at the
> foundation ceremony of his new museum. Who?
>
> B. Canadian Supermarkets
>
> In each case, name the parent chain.
>
> B1. Who """owns""" Foodland, IGA, and Price Chopper?
> B2. Who """owns""" Food Basics and Marché Richelieu?
>
> C. Eurovision Song Contest
>
> This song contest has been a TV sensation in Europe since 1956.
> Like most TV contest spectacles, very few careers are ever made --
> but here are a couple of exceptions.
>
> C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
> songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
> Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
> singing for Switzerland?
>
> C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
> 1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
> composition, which later went on to top international charts.
> Name the band.

ABBA

> D. Authors Dissing Authors
>
> D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?
>
> "I read him for the first time in the early forties,
> something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
> Later I read... the wonderful fish story."

Hemingway

> Please answer question D1 before decoding the rot13.
>
> D2. Jub jnf Rearfg Urzvatjnl gnyxvat nobhg va guvf yrggre gb
> Furejbbq Naqrefba va 1921?
>
> "[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
> that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
> whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
> Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
> The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

Dylan Thomas; James Joyce

> E. Biomimicry
>
> E1. Named after the animal it mimics, a glueless adhesive
> material is being developed. It's covered with nanoscopic
> hairs, exerting van der Waals forces that provide the
> adhesive effect. This design mimics the hairs on the feet
> of what wall-walking animal?
>
> E2. Blades of a turbine have been designed with bumps along the
> leading edge, called "tubercles". The result is less drag
> and greater efficiency for wind turbines, hydroelectric
> turbines and ventilation fans. What animal's flippers
> inspired these tubercles? Be sufficiently specific.
>
> F. The Galapagos
>
> F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
> Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
> A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
> America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
> from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
> European naturalist. Who?
>
> F2. Red-footed, blue-footed, and Nazca are just three varieties
> of the seabird of the genus Sula. What naughty name are
> they known by?

Booby

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: not Bond, challenge round

<xbadnVFZP878oJv8nZ2dnUU7-THNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3175&group=rec.games.trivia#3175

Path: i2pn2.org!i2pn.org!weretis.net!feeder8.news.weretis.net!feeder1.feed.usenet.farm!feed.usenet.farm!newsfeed.xs4all.nl!newsfeed7.news.xs4all.nl!news-out.netnews.com!news.alt.net!fdc2.netnews.com!peer02.ams1!peer.ams1.xlned.com!news.xlned.com!peer01.iad!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!border1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!buffer1.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!buffer2.nntp.dca1.giganews.com!news.giganews.com.POSTED!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: not Bond, challenge round
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2021 01:21:21 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 06:21 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-09,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER wins! Hearty congratulations!

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Bond, Not Bond

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> Sean Connery's best-known role is as the suave fellow on Her
> Majesty's Secret Service. But he did make a few other films as
> well, and those are the ones we'll be asking about. In each case,
> name the movie.

> 1. Who better to play a Berber chieftain than a very white actor
> from Edinburgh? This 1975 Connery adventure concerns Theodore
> Roosevelt's attempts to rescue an American woman and her children
> kidnapped by Connery's El Raisuli. Candice Bergen is the damsel;
> Brian Keith plays Roosevelt.

"The Wind and the Lion". 4 for Joshua.

> 2. About as far out, man, as science-fiction films get, this 1974
> disaster features a savage, far-future Connery dealing with
> the fey immortals who run the Earth. As a bonus, Sean plays
> most of the film in leather pants or jockstrap.

"Zardoz". 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 3. Back when he was just a pretty face, Sean starred as the "himbo"
> opposite Lana Turner in this 1958 romance. She was an American
> journalist; he, her BBC boy-toy.

"Another Time, Another Place".

> 4. In one of his most critically lauded roles, Connery stars as
> an inmate in a North African military prison during World War II.
> This 1965 film also features Michael Redgrave and Harry Andrews.

"The Hill".

> 5. Name the 1970 film in which Connery is the leader of a secret
> society of immigrant coal miners in 1870s Pennsylvania.
> Richard Harris plays the undercover detective sent to infiltrate
> the group.

"The Molly Maguires". 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 6. Right up there with <answer 2> in the Connery weird file is
> this 1959 fantasy-romance in which Sean has to deal with the
> king of the leprechauns. Your bonus here is Connery warbling
> "A Pretty Irish Girl". Thankfully, that was the end of his
> singing career.

"Darby O'Gill and the Little People". 4 for Joshua.

> 7. In this 1999 caper, Catherine Zeta-Jones plays an undercover
> insurance investigator who joins art thief Sean's attempt
> to steal a priceless object in order to foil it. Or is that
> what's happening? Anyway, an age-inappropriate romance blooms.

"Entrapment". 4 for Joshua.

Then again, maybe it wasn't so age-inappropriate. In real life
Catherine Zeta-Jones has been married since 2000 to Michael
Douglas, who is 25 years older than her and was only 14 years
younger than Connery.

> 8. Written and directed by Michael Crichton, name this 1979 Connery
> caper about a famous 19th-century heist. Co-starring Donald
> Sutherland and Lesley-Anne Down.

"The Great Train Robbery" (or "The First Great Train Robbery").
4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 9. Name the 1995 romantic adventure starring Connery as King Arthur,
> Richard Gere as Lancelot, and Julia Ormond as Guinevere.

"First Knight". 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 10. In this 1981 sci-fi adventure described as "'High Noon' in
> space", Connery is a marshall on a mining colony on Jupiter's
> moon Io, who uncovers a drug-smuggling operation. He is aided
> by a doctor played by Frances Sternhagen, and opposed by mining
> boss Peter Boyle.

"Outland". 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> A. Honorary Canadians

> """Only 5 foreigners have""" received honorary Canadian citizenship --
> bestowed by the G-G and approved by Parliament in recognition of
> humanitarian deeds.

> A1. He received Canadian citizenship in 2001, despite the
> fact that Alliance MP Rob Anders called him a former
> Communist and terrorist. Who?

Nelson Mandela. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. This billionaire descendant of the Prophet Mohammed was
> the latest to be honored, in May 2010. Harper praised his
> pluralistic view of the world during their meeting at the
> foundation ceremony of his new museum. Who?

The Aga Khan (IV, His Royal Highness Shah Karim al-Hussayni).
4 for Joshua.

There have now been 6, but one of the original 5 had it taken away.
The others are Raoul Wallenberg (1985), Dalai Lama Tenzin Gyatso
(2006), Aung San Suu Kyi (2009, canceled 2018), and Malala Yousafzai
(2014, though the actual award was delayed until 2017).

> B. Canadian Supermarkets

> In each case, name the parent chain.

> B1. Who """owns""" Foodland, IGA, and Price Chopper?

Sobeys. (Still true, but Price Chopper is now called FreshCo.)

> B2. Who """owns""" Food Basics and Marché Richelieu?

Metro. (Still true.)

> C. Eurovision Song Contest

> This song contest has been a TV sensation in Europe since 1956.
> Like most TV contest spectacles, very few careers are ever made --
> but here are a couple of exceptions.

> C1. Member countries are permitted to choose performers or
> songwriters from other countries, even from outside of
> Europe. Which Canadian singer won the competition in 1985,
> singing for Switzerland?

Céline Dion. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan.

> C2. Still going strong """today""" after their break-up in
> 1982, this group won the song contest in 1974 with their own
> composition, which later went on to top international charts.
> Name the band.

ABBA. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan, and Pete.

> D. Authors Dissing Authors

> D1. Who was Vladimir Nabokov talking when he said this?

> "I read him for the first time in the early forties,
> something about bells, balls, and bulls, and loathed it.
> Later I read... the wonderful fish story."

Ernest Hemingway. 4 for everyone.

> Please answer question D1 before decoding the rot13.

> D2. Who was Ernest Hemingway talking about in this letter to
> Sherwood Anderson in 1921?

> "[He] has a most goddamn wonderful book. ...the report is
> that he and all his family are starving but you can find the
> whole celtic crew of them every night in Michaud's where
> Binney and I can only afford to go about once a week...
> The damned Irish, they have to moan about something or other"

James Joyce. 4 for Joshua and Erland. 3 for Dan. 2 for Pete.

> E. Biomimicry

> E1. Named after the animal it mimics, a glueless adhesive
> material is being developed. It's covered with nanoscopic
> hairs, exerting van der Waals forces that provide the
> adhesive effect. This design mimics the hairs on the feet
> of what wall-walking animal?

Gecko. 2 for Dan.

> E2. Blades of a turbine have been designed with bumps along the
> leading edge, called "tubercles". The result is less drag
> and greater efficiency for wind turbines, hydroelectric
> turbines and ventilation fans. What animal's flippers
> inspired these tubercles? Be sufficiently specific.

Humpback whale.

> F. The Galapagos

> F1. Although the Galapagos Islands are located around the
> Equator, seals and penguins are commonly found there.
> A cold current that sweeps up the west coast of South
> America provides a corridor of cold water as passageway
> from Antarctic waters. This current is named after a
> European naturalist. Who?

Alexander von Humboldt. 4 for Erland.

> F2. Red-footed, blue-footed, and Nazca are just three varieties
> of the seabird of the genus Sula. What naughty name are
> they known by?

Boobies. 4 for Joshua, Dan, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Art His Can Mis Ent Cha FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 16 36 16 4 12 32 28 128
Dan Blum 0 35 4 4 20 20 21 100
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 11 8 -- -- 47
Erland Sommarskog 0 0 12 0 8 0 20 40
Pete Gayde -- -- 8 -- -- 0 14 22

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Why, I make more money than Calvin Coolidge,
msb@vex.net | put together!" -- SINGIN' IN THE RAIN