Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 20:08:04 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: 新加坡 (SINGAPORE)
From: dosaipr...@gmail.com (dosai prata)
 by: dosai prata - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 03:08 UTC

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 7:39:35 AM UTC, gera...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
>
> Singapore is a nation in South-east Asia with a population of mostly Asians. But it has been much influenced by Western cultures. Chewing of bubble may be disallowed but handshakes, hugs, embraces and kisses are getting more common as ways of greeting people. Perhaps its time to return to the Asian ways of no-physical-contact greetings like a nod of the head, a slight bow of the body, clasping two hands together or placing the hand to the heart..
>
> This takes me to PM Lee’s call to develop Singapore’s own version of Chinese culture. What comes straight to mind is: Why only Chinese culture? What about Indian, Malay and Western cultures?
>
> Indian Singaporeans celebrate Ponga which is a harvesting festival in India. There’s no harvesting season in Singapore. Why should the Indians in Singapore celebrate a harvesting festival in India? Shouldn’t Singapore develop its own local version of Indian culture?
>
> What about Singapore’s own version of Western culture? Blind imitation of Western culture makes the nation look silly. Take Christmas for example. This island is in the tropic. It is hot and humid all year round. Yet Singaporeans stupidly imitate the West in celebrating Christmas. Winter snow. Coniferous Christmas tree. Even red-nosed reindeer.
> How about Singapore’s own version of Christmas? A tropical Christmas of sunshine instead of snow, coconut or banana palm instead of coniferous tree, mouse deer instead of reindeer?
>
> What about Singapore’s own version of Malay culture? This is dominated by Islamic culture. Can Singapore develop its own version of Malay culture without antagonising the Islamic world?
>
> Why should Singapore develop its own version of its racial cultures? Just to be different from those of the ancestral homeland of its different races? That would be wrong. The COVID-19 pandemic has given us the answer. A culture should be changed for the sake of public health. As mentioned in the beginning, culture defines behaviors which can have tremendous impact on public health throughout the world. Regardless of race, language or religion, aspects of cultures that endanger public health should be discontinued. If eating of wild lives can cause viral infection, then it should be banned.
>

> For Singapore, the first one that comes to mind is the Malay culture of using hand instead of toilet paper. This poses an obvious danger to public health. It should be discontinued. This serves not only the Malays but all Singaporeans better than promoting the sales and consumption of halal food.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sporean-33-who-allegedly-hurled-racist-remarks-attacked-undergraduate-at-east-coast-park

What have our Ministers and President got to say about this?
This is blatant racist attack on a member of the Chinese majority by a member of the racial minority.
ST reported it without giving away the racial identity of the racist. If a Chinese were to be the culprit of a racist attack, verbally or physically, his/her racial identity would be identified straight away.
If you check the records of police or the court, you will find a strange statistics in Chinese majority SG - the Chinese are often the victims of violent racial crimes like beatings, murders and rapes committed by members of the racial minorities.
This is in stark contrast to Malaysia. Over there, no Indians would dare molest or rape Malay girls.

Re: 新加坡 (SINGAPORE)

<145e735f-106a-4ff9-aa5d-f11644b34833n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3147&group=soc.culture.china#3147

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2021 20:16:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: dosaipr...@gmail.com (dosai prata)
 by: dosai prata - Mon, 5 Jul 2021 03:16 UTC

On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 3:08:06 AM UTC, dosai prata wrote:
> [...]
>
> https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sporean-33-who-allegedly-hurled-racist-remarks-attacked-undergraduate-at-east-coast-park
> What have our Ministers and President got to say about this?
> This is blatant racist attack on a member of the Chinese majority by a member of the racial minority.
>
> ST reported it without giving away the racial identity of the racist. If a Chinese were to be the culprit of a racist attack, verbally or physically, his/her racial identity would be identified straight away.
>
> If you check the records of police or the court, you will find a strange statistics in Chinese majority SG - the Chinese are often the victims of violent racial crimes like beatings, murders and rapes committed by members of the racial minorities.
>
> This is in stark contrast to Malaysia. Over there, no Indians would dare molest or rape Malay girls.

Is this the right time to relax the fight against COVID-19? There is a new, more infectious and virulent variant of virus from India. It's spreading among the community. Learn below about the danger posed by this Indian virus, according to a Taiwanese program.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTEiPcoV1ec

There are doubts about the currently available vaccines in combating against this virus.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/27/will-vaccines-protect-us-against-the-delta-variant

The deadliness of this virus may have been under-reported by India.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/india-has-undercounted-covid-19-deaths-by-hundreds-of-thousands-families-and-experts-say-11624795202

With such a virus within our midst, we should be tightening, rather than relaxing, the defensive measures against the pandemic.

Reporting of the virus in ST is very sympathetic to India. It's now only reported as the Delta variant, no indication whatsoever that this variant originates from India. It was not the case for China. Long after WHO issued advice against naming the virus after a country, ST continued to refer to the China or the Wuhan virus.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: 新加坡 (SINGAPORE)

<949f24d4-5308-457d-b041-e09265d82fa9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3178&group=soc.culture.china#3178

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2021 01:45:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: gerard...@gmail.com (gerard jud)
 by: gerard jud - Tue, 6 Jul 2021 08:45 UTC

On Monday, July 5, 2021 at 3:16:01 AM UTC, dosai prata wrote:
> [...]
>

> There are doubts about the currently available vaccines in combating against this virus.
>
> https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jun/27/will-vaccines-protect-us-against-the-delta-variant
>

> The deadliness of this virus may have been under-reported by India.
>
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/india-has-undercounted-covid-19-deaths-by-hundreds-of-thousands-families-and-experts-say-11624795202
>

> With such a virus within our midst, we should be tightening, rather than relaxing, the defensive measures against the pandemic.
>

> Reporting of the virus in ST is very sympathetic to India. It's now only reported as the Delta variant, no indication whatsoever that this variant originates from India. It was not the case for China. Long after WHO issued advice against naming the virus after a country, ST continued to refer to the China or the Wuhan virus.

interests / soc.culture.china / Re: 新加坡 (SINGAPORE)