You are standing on my toes.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apesMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apesDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apesDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apesPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: sportswomen and apesMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

<Gu-dnZS8XOWYs5P8nZ2dnUU7-IHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3193&group=rec.games.trivia#3193

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2021 01:53:57 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 06:53 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Sportswomen

For the first 6 questions, we give you the name of an athlete;
you tell us which letter corresponds to her picture on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g2r7/sport.pdf

1. Christine Sinclair.
2. Lori Kane.
3. Amber Holland.
4. Maëlle Ricker.
5. Alexandra Wozniak.
6. Cassie Campbell.

After finishing #1-6, please decode the rot13 for the remaining
questions, where we give you the picture letter and a clue, and
you must name the athlete.

7. Guvf jurrypunve enpre unf jba 14 Cnenylzcvp tbyq zrqnyf;
jub vf Q?

8. Guvf vpr qnapre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Inapbhire; jub vf X?

9. Va gur Fnyg Ynxr Pvgl Bylzcvpf, guvf pebff-pbhagel fxvre
jba oebamr, fvyire, naq tbyq nyy sbe gur fnzr enpr nf gur
svefg gjb svavfuref jrer fhpprfviryl qvfdhnyvsvrq sbe hfvat n
cresbeznapr-raunapvat fhofgnapr. Cyrnfr anzr S.

10. Guvf serrfglyr jerfgyre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Orvwvat; jub vf W?

And there were four decoys. For fun, but for no points, decode
the further rot13 if you want to see what pictures and identify
these women by name.

11. Fcrrq fxngre P.
12. Xnlnxre R.
13. Uheqyre T.
14. Plpyvfg U.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes

Science, entertainment, and stuff featuring our nearest cousins.
(Well, *your* nearest cousins.)

1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
the nickname?

2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
and what other?

3. This TV show from 1970 was a take off on "The Man from Uncle"
and other spy shows. The titular hero was a chimp who played
in a band called the Evolution Revolution and was an operative
for APE -- the Agency to Prevent Evil. Name him or the show.

4. More chimp rock-and-rollers were featured in a series of 1960s
and 70s commercials for which popular beverage? The ads also
showed apes in various outfits and scenarios.

5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.

6. The Great Ape Project (GAP), founded in 1994, is an international
organization of primatologists, anthropologists, ethicists,
and other experts who advocate for what?

7. In the 1976 remake of "King Kong", who played the paleontology
professor hero, Jack Prescott?

8. The 2005 version of "King Kong" featured which actress in the
Ann Darrow role originally embodied by Fay Wray (that delicate,
satin-draped frame)?

9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
Sign Language.

--
Mark Brader "There are no prime numbers in Dream London...
Toronto Or there won't be in the future."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

<sem3fv$ird$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3194&group=rec.games.trivia#3194

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 13:57:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 13:57 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes

> 1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
> patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
> the nickname?

silverback

> 2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
> and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
> and what other?

bonobos; baboons

> 4. More chimp rock-and-rollers were featured in a series of 1960s
> and 70s commercials for which popular beverage? The ads also
> showed apes in various outfits and scenarios.

Coca-Cola

> 5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
> groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.

baboons; bonobos

> 6. The Great Ape Project (GAP), founded in 1994, is an international
> organization of primatologists, anthropologists, ethicists,
> and other experts who advocate for what?

end to experimentation on apes

> 9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
> to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
> and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

Leakey

> 10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
> 2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
> Sign Language.

Koko

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

<XnsAD7FA56768764gromit82hotmailcom@144.76.35.252>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3195&group=rec.games.trivia#3195

From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 21:15:34 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 7 Aug 2021 21:15 UTC

msb@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Gu-dnZS8XOWYs5P8nZ2dnUU7-
IHNnZ2d@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Sportswomen

No answers in this round.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes
>
> 1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
> patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
> the nickname?

silverback
> 2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
> and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
> and what other?

bonobos; gibbons

> 3. This TV show from 1970 was a take off on "The Man from Uncle"
> and other spy shows. The titular hero was a chimp who played
> in a band called the Evolution Revolution and was an operative
> for APE -- the Agency to Prevent Evil. Name him or the show.

"Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp"

> 5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
> groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.

gibbons; bonobos
> 7. In the 1976 remake of "King Kong", who played the paleontology
> professor hero, Jack Prescott?

Bridges
> 8. The 2005 version of "King Kong" featured which actress in the
> Ann Darrow role originally embodied by Fay Wray (that delicate,
> satin-draped frame)?

Watts

> 9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
> to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
> and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

Leakey

> 10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
> 2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
> Sign Language.

Koko

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

<senpf1$dgu$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3196&group=rec.games.trivia#3196

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2021 22:18:23 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 05:18 UTC

On 8/6/21 11:53 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Sportswomen
>
> For the first 6 questions, we give you the name of an athlete;
> you tell us which letter corresponds to her picture on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g2r7/sport.pdf
>
> 1. Christine Sinclair.

B (hey, she finally won Olympic gold)

> 2. Lori Kane.
> 3. Amber Holland.
> 4. Maëlle Ricker.
> 5. Alexandra Wozniak.
> 6. Cassie Campbell.
>
> After finishing #1-6, please decode the rot13 for the remaining
> questions, where we give you the picture letter and a clue, and
> you must name the athlete.
>
> 7. Guvf jurrypunve enpre unf jba 14 Cnenylzcvp tbyq zrqnyf;
> jub vf Q?
>
> 8. Guvf vpr qnapre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Inapbhire; jub vf X?
>
> 9. Va gur Fnyg Ynxr Pvgl Bylzcvpf, guvf pebff-pbhagel fxvre
> jba oebamr, fvyire, naq tbyq nyy sbe gur fnzr enpr nf gur
> svefg gjb svavfuref jrer fhpprfviryl qvfdhnyvsvrq sbe hfvat n
> cresbeznapr-raunapvat fhofgnapr. Cyrnfr anzr S.
>
> 10. Guvf serrfglyr jerfgyre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Orvwvat; jub vf W?
>

> And there were four decoys. For fun, but for no points, decode
> the further rot13 if you want to see what pictures and identify
> these women by name.
>
> 11. Fcrrq fxngre P.
> 12. Xnlnxre R.
> 13. Uheqyre T.
> 14. Plpyvfg U.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes
>
> Science, entertainment, and stuff featuring our nearest cousins.
> (Well, *your* nearest cousins.)
>
> 1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
> patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
> the nickname?

silverback

> 2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
> and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
> and what other?

bonobos

> 3. This TV show from 1970 was a take off on "The Man from Uncle"
> and other spy shows. The titular hero was a chimp who played
> in a band called the Evolution Revolution and was an operative
> for APE -- the Agency to Prevent Evil. Name him or the show.
>
> 4. More chimp rock-and-rollers were featured in a series of 1960s
> and 70s commercials for which popular beverage? The ads also
> showed apes in various outfits and scenarios.

Coca-Cola

> 5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
> groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.

gibbons

> 6. The Great Ape Project (GAP), founded in 1994, is an international
> organization of primatologists, anthropologists, ethicists,
> and other experts who advocate for what?

personhood for apes

> 7. In the 1976 remake of "King Kong", who played the paleontology
> professor hero, Jack Prescott?
>
> 8. The 2005 version of "King Kong" featured which actress in the
> Ann Darrow role originally embodied by Fay Wray (that delicate,
> satin-draped frame)?
>
> 9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
> to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
> and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

Louis Leakey

> 10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
> 2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
> Sign Language.

Koko

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: sportswomen and apes

<seplp9$1hn8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3197&group=rec.games.trivia#3197

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2021 17:27:53 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 8 Aug 2021 22:27 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Sportswomen
>
> For the first 6 questions, we give you the name of an athlete;
> you tell us which letter corresponds to her picture on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g2r7/sport.pdf
>
> 1. Christine Sinclair.

> 2. Lori Kane.

F; G

> 3. Amber Holland.

H; J

> 4. Maëlle Ricker.

H; D

> 5. Alexandra Wozniak.

D; E

> 6. Cassie Campbell.

A; E

> After finishing #1-6, please decode the rot13 for the remaining
> questions, where we give you the picture letter and a clue, and
> you must name the athlete.
>
> 7. Guvf jurrypunve enpre unf jba 14 Cnenylzcvp tbyq zrqnyf;
> jub vf Q?
>
> 8. Guvf vpr qnapre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Inapbhire; jub vf X?
>
> 9. Va gur Fnyg Ynxr Pvgl Bylzcvpf, guvf pebff-pbhagel fxvre
> jba oebamr, fvyire, naq tbyq nyy sbe gur fnzr enpr nf gur
> svefg gjb svavfuref jrer fhpprfviryl qvfdhnyvsvrq sbe hfvat n
> cresbeznapr-raunapvat fhofgnapr. Cyrnfr anzr S.
>
> 10. Guvf serrfglyr jerfgyre jba Bylzcvp tbyq va Orvwvat; jub vf W?
>

> And there were four decoys. For fun, but for no points, decode
> the further rot13 if you want to see what pictures and identify
> these women by name.
>
> 11. Fcrrq fxngre P.

Catriona Lemay Doan

> 12. Xnlnxre R.
> 13. Uheqyre T.
> 14. Plpyvfg U.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes
>
> Science, entertainment, and stuff featuring our nearest cousins.
> (Well, *your* nearest cousins.)
>
> 1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
> patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
> the nickname?

Silverback

> 2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
> and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
> and what other?

Gibbons

> 3. This TV show from 1970 was a take off on "The Man from Uncle"
> and other spy shows. The titular hero was a chimp who played
> in a band called the Evolution Revolution and was an operative
> for APE -- the Agency to Prevent Evil. Name him or the show.

Lancelot Link

> 4. More chimp rock-and-rollers were featured in a series of 1960s
> and 70s commercials for which popular beverage? The ads also
> showed apes in various outfits and scenarios.

Coca Cola; Pepsi

> 5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
> groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.
>
> 6. The Great Ape Project (GAP), founded in 1994, is an international
> organization of primatologists, anthropologists, ethicists,
> and other experts who advocate for what?

Stop using apes for testing

> 7. In the 1976 remake of "King Kong", who played the paleontology
> professor hero, Jack Prescott?
>
> 8. The 2005 version of "King Kong" featured which actress in the
> Ann Darrow role originally embodied by Fay Wray (that delicate,
> satin-draped frame)?
>
> 9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
> to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
> and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

Leakey

> 10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
> 2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
> Sign Language.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: sportswomen and apes

<_e-dnfWGZ8Ncmo_8nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3198&group=rec.games.trivia#3198

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: sportswomen and apes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2021 23:59:45 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 04:59 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Sportswomen

> For the first 6 questions, we give you the name of an athlete;
> you tell us which letter corresponds to her picture on the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g2r7/sport.pdf

> 1. Christine Sinclair.

B. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 2. Lori Kane.

I.

> 3. Amber Holland.

N.

> 4. Maëlle Ricker.

A.

> 5. Alexandra Wozniak.

L.

> 6. Cassie Campbell.

M.

> After finishing #1-6, please decode the rot13 for the remaining
> questions, where we give you the picture letter and a clue, and
> you must name the athlete.

> 7. This wheelchair racer has won 14 Paralympic gold medals;
> who is D?

Chantal Petitclerc.

> 8. This ice dancer won Olympic gold in Vancouver; who is K?

Tessa Virtue.

> 9. In the Salt Lake City Olympics, this cross-country skier
> won bronze, silver, and gold all for the same race as the
> first two finishers were succesively disqualified for using a
> performance-enhancing substance. Please name F.

Becky Scott.

> 10. This freestyle wrestler won Olympic gold in Beijing; who is J?

Carol Huynh ["win"].

> And there were four decoys. For fun, but for no points, decode
> the further rot13 if you want to see what pictures and identify
> these women by name.

> 11. Speed skater C.

Cindy Klassen.

> 12. Kayaker E.

Caroline Brunet.

> 13. Hurdler G.

Perdita Felicien.

> 14. Cyclist H.

Alison Sydor.

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science Entertainment - The Great Apes

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> Science, entertainment, and stuff featuring our nearest cousins.
> (Well, *your* nearest cousins.)

> 1. When male mountain gorillas reach maturity, they develop a
> patch of gray hair, which gives them their nickname. What is
> the nickname?

Silverback. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. The great apes include humans (according to some scientists)
> and four other species: chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans,
> and what other?

Bonobos. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. This TV show from 1970 was a take off on "The Man from Uncle"
> and other spy shows. The titular hero was a chimp who played
> in a band called the Evolution Revolution and was an operative
> for APE -- the Agency to Prevent Evil. Name him or the show.

"Lancelot Link: Secret Chimp". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 4. More chimp rock-and-rollers were featured in a series of 1960s
> and 70s commercials for which popular beverage? The ads also
> showed apes in various outfits and scenarios.

Red Rose tea.

> 5. These creatures are hominids, like the previously mentioned
> groups, but are known as "lesser apes". Name them.

Gibbons. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

Baboons were guessed both here and on #2, but they're monkeys,
not apes.

> 6. The Great Ape Project (GAP), founded in 1994, is an international
> organization of primatologists, anthropologists, ethicists,
> and other experts who advocate for what?

A United Nations Declaration of the Rights of Great Apes that would
extend basic legal rights to non-human great apes. I did not think
that prohibiting experimentation on apes was broad enough to accept.
4 for Dan Tilque.

> 7. In the 1976 remake of "King Kong", who played the paleontology
> professor hero, Jack Prescott?

Jeff Bridges. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. The 2005 version of "King Kong" featured which actress in the
> Ann Darrow role originally embodied by Fay Wray (that delicate,
> satin-draped frame)?

Naomi Watts. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Jane Goodall and Dian Fossey were both researchers sent to Africa
> to study apes. They were sponsored by a foundation started by,
> and named for, which famous anthropologist and naturalist?

Louis Leakey. 4 for everyone.

Along with Canada's Birute Galdikas, they were known as Leakey's Angels.

> 10. Name the gorilla that Dr. Penny Patterson taught to understand
> 2000 words of spoken English as well as 1000 symbols of American
> Sign Language.

Koko. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Ent Sci His Can S+E FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 4 20 0 30 106
Dan Tilque 12 4 16 28 4 24 80
Dan Blum 20 16 20 23 0 15 79
Erland Sommarskog 12 4 4 28 -- -- 48
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 12 4 12 40
Bruce Bowler -- -- 16 8 -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...what kind of mind has a steel trap got anyway?"
msb@vex.net | --Lawrence Block, "The Burglar in the Library"