Good news is just life's way of keeping you off balance.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: addict lit, challengeMark Brader
`* RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010Mark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010Dan Tilque

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<tOSdnW8AxZiNlI_8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3199&group=rec.games.trivia#3199

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 00:05:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 05:05 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company

These writers all had monkeys on their backs -- and a typewriter and
enough time. Inevitably, they wrote great, or at least notable,
novels. We'll give you the title, the year of publication, and
the drug (or its fictionalized version); you give us the author.

1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.
2. "Under the Volcano", 1947, alcohol.
3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.
4. "Confessions of an Opium Eater", 1821, laudanum.
5. "Post Office", 1971, and "Factotum", 1975; alcohol.
6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.
7. "Basketball Diaries", 1978, heroin.
8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.
9. "Requiem for a Dream", 1978, diet pills and heroin.
10. "Diary of a Drug Fiend", 1922, cocaine and heroin.

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Science: Funny Units

These mock-scientific units are named after people, real or fictional.

A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

* B. Canadiana: Unite!

These are national groups that merged.

B1. The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 by the merger
of three Protestant denominations. One of the groups
included 2/3 of the Presbyterian churches of Canada.
Name any one of the other two denominations.

B2. The New Democratic Party was the result of a merger in
1961 of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (or CCF)
with elements of what national trade union organization,
which still exists as a separate group?

* C. Literature: Spy versus Spy

The topic is Cold War spy literature.

C1. Len Deighton """has created""" three trilogies about jaded
secret agent Bernard Samson's career in the twilight of
the Cold War. Each trilogy has a name based on the three
titles of its individual books; give "*any one* of those
trilogy names.

C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
of the other """four""" Smiley books.

* D. History: Wilsons' Words

These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.

D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
not, you're not"?

D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
is a long time in politics"?

* E. Geography: All that Glitters

All that glitters is not gold. In this case, we're talking
about diamonds.

E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
"""currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
located?

E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
town in South Africa. Name the town.

* F. Entertainment: Caribbean music

It's not just reggae. Let's see if you've been listening to
your Putamayo CDs.

F1. In the countries of the Caribbean where French is spoken,
two styles of music have predominated in the """last 20
years""". Name either. (Note: Only the 2011 answer will
be accepted.)

F2. Around 2004, in many Spanish Caribbean countries, a mixture
of latino hip-hop, rap, reggae, and dance-hall became the
rage and """continues""" to be popular. This style includes
one of those precursor styles in its name. Name it.

--
Mark Brader | "I have right of way, but the jeep has right of weight:
Toronto | it feels like the classic irresistible force, but I am

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<0ca2bac7-7445-4e8c-a5cd-887b2ca907c9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3200&group=rec.games.trivia#3200

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 16:24:42 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 10 Aug 2021 23:24 UTC

On Tuesday, August 10, 2021 at 12:05:26 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company
>
> These writers all had monkeys on their backs -- and a typewriter and
> enough time. Inevitably, they wrote great, or at least notable,
> novels. We'll give you the title, the year of publication, and
> the drug (or its fictionalized version); you give us the author.
>
> 1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.

Burroughs

> 2. "Under the Volcano", 1947, alcohol.

Lowry

> 3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.

Huxley

> 6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.

Dick

> 8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.

Walsh

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: Funny Units
>
> These mock-scientific units are named after people, real or fictional.
>
> A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
> Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

helen

> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

warhol

> * C. Literature: Spy versus Spy
>
> The topic is Cold War spy literature.
>
> C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
> * D. History: Wilsons' Words
>
> These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.
>
> D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
> not, you're not"?

Jerry Reed; Woodrow Wilson
> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold Wilson

> * E. Geography: All that Glitters
>
> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?

Quebec; Yukon

> E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
> that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
> mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
> and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
> town in South Africa. Name the town.

Kimberley
> * F. Entertainment: Caribbean music
>
> F2. Around 2004, in many Spanish Caribbean countries, a mixture
> of latino hip-hop, rap, reggae, and dance-hall became the
> rage and """continues""" to be popular. This style includes
> one of those precursor styles in its name. Name it.

reggaeton
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<sev6jn$e8i$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3201&group=rec.games.trivia#3201

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 00:45:43 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 00:45 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company

> 1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.

William S. Burroughs

> 3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.

Leary

> 4. "Confessions of an Opium Eater", 1821, laudanum.

de Quincey

> 6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.

Philip K. Dick

> 8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.

Welsh

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Science: Funny Units

> A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
> Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

helen

> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

warhol

> * B. Canadiana: Unite!

> B1. The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 by the merger
> of three Protestant denominations. One of the groups
> included 2/3 of the Presbyterian churches of Canada.
> Name any one of the other two denominations.

Episcopalians; Church of Christ

> * C. Literature: Spy versus Spy

> C2. John le Carr? created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

> * D. History: Wilsons' Words

> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold Wilson

> * E. Geography: All that Glitters

> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?

Quebec

> E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
> that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
> mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
> and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
> town in South Africa. Name the town.

Kimberley

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<sevbmv$qgo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3202&group=rec.games.trivia#3202

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 21:12:47 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 02:12 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company
>
> These writers all had monkeys on their backs -- and a typewriter and
> enough time. Inevitably, they wrote great, or at least notable,
> novels. We'll give you the title, the year of publication, and
> the drug (or its fictionalized version); you give us the author.
>
> 1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.
> 2. "Under the Volcano", 1947, alcohol.

Dylan Thomas

> 3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.
> 4. "Confessions of an Opium Eater", 1821, laudanum.
> 5. "Post Office", 1971, and "Factotum", 1975; alcohol.
> 6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.
> 7. "Basketball Diaries", 1978, heroin.
> 8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.
> 9. "Requiem for a Dream", 1978, diet pills and heroin.
> 10. "Diary of a Drug Fiend", 1922, cocaine and heroin.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: Funny Units
>
> These mock-scientific units are named after people, real or fictional.
>
> A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
> Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

Millihelen

> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

Warhol

> * B. Canadiana: Unite!
>
> These are national groups that merged.
>
> B1. The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 by the merger
> of three Protestant denominations. One of the groups
> included 2/3 of the Presbyterian churches of Canada.
> Name any one of the other two denominations.
>
> B2. The New Democratic Party was the result of a merger in
> 1961 of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (or CCF)
> with elements of what national trade union organization,
> which still exists as a separate group?
>

> * C. Literature: Spy versus Spy
>
> The topic is Cold War spy literature.
>
> C1. Len Deighton """has created""" three trilogies about jaded
> secret agent Bernard Samson's career in the twilight of
> the Cold War. Each trilogy has a name based on the three
> titles of its individual books; give "*any one* of those
> trilogy names.
>
> C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.
>

> * D. History: Wilsons' Words
>
> These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.
>
> D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
> not, you're not"?
>
> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold

> * E. Geography: All that Glitters
>
> All that glitters is not gold. In this case, we're talking
> about diamonds.
>
> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?
>
> E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
> that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
> mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
> and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
> town in South Africa. Name the town.
>

> * F. Entertainment: Caribbean music
>
> It's not just reggae. Let's see if you've been listening to
> your Putamayo CDs.
>
> F1. In the countries of the Caribbean where French is spoken,
> two styles of music have predominated in the """last 20
> years""". Name either. (Note: Only the 2011 answer will
> be accepted.)
>
> F2. Around 2004, in many Spanish Caribbean countries, a mixture
> of latino hip-hop, rap, reggae, and dance-hall became the
> rage and """continues""" to be popular. This style includes
> one of those precursor styles in its name. Name it.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<sevevr$ah9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3203&group=rec.games.trivia#3203

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2021 20:08:41 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 03:08 UTC

On 8/9/21 10:05 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company
>
> These writers all had monkeys on their backs -- and a typewriter and
> enough time. Inevitably, they wrote great, or at least notable,
> novels. We'll give you the title, the year of publication, and
> the drug (or its fictionalized version); you give us the author.
>
> 1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.
> 2. "Under the Volcano", 1947, alcohol.
> 3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.
> 4. "Confessions of an Opium Eater", 1821, laudanum.
> 5. "Post Office", 1971, and "Factotum", 1975; alcohol.
> 6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.
> 7. "Basketball Diaries", 1978, heroin.
> 8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.
> 9. "Requiem for a Dream", 1978, diet pills and heroin.
> 10. "Diary of a Drug Fiend", 1922, cocaine and heroin.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: Funny Units
>
> These mock-scientific units are named after people, real or fictional.
>
> A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
> Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

helen

> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

warhol

> * B. Canadiana: Unite!
>
> These are national groups that merged.
>
> B1. The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 by the merger
> of three Protestant denominations. One of the groups
> included 2/3 of the Presbyterian churches of Canada.
> Name any one of the other two denominations.
>
> B2. The New Democratic Party was the result of a merger in
> 1961 of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (or CCF)
> with elements of what national trade union organization,
> which still exists as a separate group?
>

> * C. Literature: Spy versus Spy
>
> The topic is Cold War spy literature.
>
> C1. Len Deighton """has created""" three trilogies about jaded
> secret agent Bernard Samson's career in the twilight of
> the Cold War. Each trilogy has a name based on the three
> titles of its individual books; give "*any one* of those
> trilogy names.
>
> C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.
>

> * D. History: Wilsons' Words
>
> These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.
>
> D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
> not, you're not"?

Flip

> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold

> * E. Geography: All that Glitters
>
> All that glitters is not gold. In this case, we're talking
> about diamonds.
>
> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?

Alberta

> E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
> that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
> mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
> and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
> town in South Africa. Name the town.

Kimberley

> * F. Entertainment: Caribbean music
>
> It's not just reggae. Let's see if you've been listening to
> your Putamayo CDs.
>
> F1. In the countries of the Caribbean where French is spoken,
> two styles of music have predominated in the """last 20
> years""". Name either. (Note: Only the 2011 answer will
> be accepted.)
>
> F2. Around 2004, in many Spanish Caribbean countries, a mixture
> of latino hip-hop, rap, reggae, and dance-hall became the
> rage and """continues""" to be popular. This style includes
> one of those precursor styles in its name. Name it.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: addict lit, challenge

<XnsAD83D39851E9EYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3204&group=rec.games.trivia#3204

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2021 20:48:02 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 11 Aug 2021 18:48 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Science: Funny Units
>
> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

Warhol
> C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.

"Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"

> * D. History: Wilsons' Words
>
> These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.
>
> D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
> not, you're not"?

Brian
> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold
> * E. Geography: All that Glitters
>
> All that glitters is not gold. In this case, we're talking
> about diamonds.
>
> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?

British Columbia

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: addict lit, challenge

<mbCdnTs_NshHzYr8nZ2dnUU7-L3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3205&group=rec.games.trivia#3205

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 2, Rounds 9-10 answers: addict lit, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 00:12:58 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 05:12 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-16,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... I will reveal the correct
> answers in about 3 days.

Oops, looks like you got an extra day this time.
> For further information... see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 2 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Hearty
congratulations!

In other news, captains of Canadian Inquisition teams have been
discussing when we should think about restarting the league, and
while there is definitely a contingent who would like to do it now,
the consensus is for not yet". So for the time being there will
continue not to be any new questions from the league, and I will
continue reposting old ones.

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Literature - Addicts & Company

> These writers all had monkeys on their backs -- and a typewriter and
> enough time. Inevitably, they wrote great, or at least notable,
> novels. We'll give you the title, the year of publication, and
> the drug (or its fictionalized version); you give us the author.

> 1. "Junkie: Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict", 1953, heroin.

William S. Burroughs. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 2. "Under the Volcano", 1947, alcohol.

Malcolm Lowry. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. "Doors of Perception", 1954, mescaline.

Aldous Huxley. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. "Confessions of an Opium Eater", 1821, laudanum.

Thomas De Quincey. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 5. "Post Office", 1971, and "Factotum", 1975; alcohol.

Charles Bukowski.

> 6. "A Scanner Darkly", 1977, substance D.

Philip K. Dick. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. "Basketball Diaries", 1978, heroin.

Jim Carroll.

> 8. "Trainspotting", 1993, heroin.

Irvine Welsh. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 9. "Requiem for a Dream", 1978, diet pills and heroin.

Hubert Selby.

> 10. "Diary of a Drug Fiend", 1922, cocaine and heroin.

Aleister Crowley.

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Science: Funny Units

> These mock-scientific units are named after people, real or fictional.

> A1. What is the unit of beauty, possibly first suggested by
> Isaac Asimov? It is named after a beautiful woman of myth.

The helen. You need 1 millihelen to launch one ship. 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> A2. What is the unit of fame or hype, invented by Cullen Murphy
> of "The Atlantic" magazine in 1997? Named for a 20th-century
> artist, it measures the duration of one's fame.

The warhol -- equivalent to 15 minutes of fame. (Thus a "9-day
wonder" measures 864 warhols.) 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Pete, Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> * B. Canadiana: Unite!

> These are national groups that merged.

> B1. The United Church of Canada was formed in 1925 by the merger
> of three Protestant denominations. One of the groups
> included 2/3 of the Presbyterian churches of Canada.
> Name any one of the other two denominations.

Methodist (Church of Canada), Congregational Union of Ontario and
Quebec (or Congregationalist).

> B2. The New Democratic Party was the result of a merger in
> 1961 of the Cooperative Commonwealth Federation (or CCF)
> with elements of what national trade union organization,
> which still exists as a separate group?

Canadian Labour Congress.

> * C. Literature: Spy versus Spy

> The topic is Cold War spy literature.

> C1. Len Deighton """has created""" three trilogies about jaded
> secret agent Bernard Samson's career in the twilight of
> the Cold War. Each trilogy has a name based on the three
> titles of its individual books; give "*any one* of those
> trilogy names.

"Game, Set, and Match"; "Hook, Line, and Sinker"; "Faith, Hope
and Charity". (Still true.)

(The respective books were: "Berlin Game", "Mexico Set",
"London Match"; "Spy Hook", "Spy Line", "Spy Sinker"; and
"Faith", "Hope", and -- you guessed it -- "Charity".)

> C2. John le Carré created an anti - James Bond in George Smiley
> of MI6. He's just a minor character in "The Spy who Came
> In from the Cold", "The Looking Glass War", and "The Secret
> Pilgrim", but """he's been the central character of 5 other
> books""", including "Smiley's People". Name "*any one*
> of the other """four""" Smiley books.

"Call for the Dead"; "A Murder of Quality"; "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier,
Spy" (the easy one, since a new movie version of it """is""" in
"""current""" release); and "The Honourable Schoolboy". 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, and Erland.

Smiley appeared in one more novel before le Carré's death in 2020 --
"A Legacy of Spies" -- but, again, not as the central character.

> * D. History: Wilsons' Words

> These are quotes by people with the surname Wilson.

> D1. Which Wilson said, "When you're hot, you're hot; when you're
> not, you're not"?

Clerow "Flip" Wilson. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> D2. Which Wilson, a British prime minister, once said, "A week
> is a long time in politics"?

Harold Wilson. 4 for everyone.

> * E. Geography: All that Glitters

> All that glitters is not gold. In this case, we're talking
> about diamonds.

> E1. Canada has recently become a diamond-mining power. There are
> """currently""" 6 operating diamond mines in Canada. Four of
> them are in the Northwest Territories, one is in Nunavut,
> and in which territory or province """is the other one"""
> located?

2011 answer: Ontario. (On the Attawapiskat River, west of James Bay.
I didn't know either.) 2021 answer: Quebec. (East of James Bay.)
(According to Natural Resources Canada, the mines in Nunavut and
Ontario and one of the others have shut down, so only 4 are now
operating.) 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> E2. Volcanic action created vertical structures called "pipes",
> that brought diamond-bearing rock from deep within the
> mantle of the earth up to the surface. These pipes,
> and the rock they contain, are named for a "diamond-rush"
> town in South Africa. Name the town.

Kimberley. (They are "kimberlite" pipes.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> * F. Entertainment: Caribbean music

> It's not just reggae. Let's see if you've been listening to
> your Putamayo CDs.

> F1. In the countries of the Caribbean where French is spoken,
> two styles of music have predominated in the """last 20
> years""". Name either. (Note: Only the 2011 answer will
> be accepted.)

Zouk ["Zook"] or Compas ["Kohm-pah"]; Kadens ["Ka-dawnce"].

> F2. Around 2004, in many Spanish Caribbean countries, a mixture
> of latino hip-hop, rap, reggae, and dance-hall became the
> rage and """continues""" to be popular. This style includes
> one of those precursor styles in its name. Name it.

Reggaeton. 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Mis Ent Sci His Can S+E Lit Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 4 20 0 30 19 27 152
Dan Blum 20 16 20 23 0 15 16 24 119
Dan Tilque 12 4 16 28 4 24 0 20 104
Erland Sommarskog 12 4 4 28 -- -- 0 12 60
Pete Gayde -- -- 12 12 4 12 0 12 52
Bruce Bowler -- -- 16 8 -- -- -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader "C was developed for the programmer
Toronto (two of them, in fact)"

RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010

<15-dnYaWC-BNzIr8nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3206&group=rec.games.trivia#3206

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 00:17:04 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 05:17 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Barack Obama was in Ireland last week, paying a visit to
Moneygall, birthplace of his great-great-great-grandfather.
The """president""" quipped, "My name is Barack Obama of the
Moneygall Obamas, and I've come home to find the [BLANK] we
lost somewhere along the way." What did Obama joke about his
family losing?

2. Eulogies are rolling in for the so-called "Godfather of Rap",
dead at the age of 62. He was known for such angry early
70s songs as "The Revolution will Not be Televised" and
"Whitey's on the Moon", and had recently cut a comeback album.
Name him.

* Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Silent Screen

1. This German actor starred in such silent classics as "The
Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" and "The Hands of Orlac". He made
the transition to sound, continuing to work until his death
in 1943. His second-last role was as Major Strasser in
"Casablanca".

2. This 1926 Buster Keaton classic is based on the same
historical incident as Walt Disney's "Great Locomotive
Chase" of 30 years later. Name the silent movie.

3. Despite the loss of two digits of his right hand to the
accidental explosion of a prop bomb in 1919, this silent
funny man did all his own stunts -- which included climbing
the outside of a skyscraper 4 years later in "Safety Last".
The arrival of sound, however, brought his career crashing
to earth. Name him.

4. In the silent thriller "The Lodger", an innocent man
(played by Ivor Novello) is suspected of being a killer of
beautiful blondes. The director declined to participate
in the sound remake, but went on to a long and successful
career in the talkies. He died in 1980. Name him.

5. In the silent era, language was no barrier to the mobility
of talent. American actress Louise Brooks went abroad to make
her two best-known films, "Pandora's Box" and "Diary of a
Lost Girl". To what country?

6. German actress Brigitte Helm is best remembered for her
debut role as a demagogic robot in a 1927 silent directed
by Fritz Lang. Name the film.

7. In 1924, Louis B. Mayer signed her reluctantly, saying,
"In America, men don't like fat women." In 1928, half a dozen
silent features later, "Life" magazine called her "the dream
princess of eternity, the knockout of the ages." Name her.

8. 31 years before directing Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer in
"War and Peace", King Vidor produced and directed a silent
hit called "The Big Parade". Which war was its subject?

9. Director F.W. Murnau required no makeup beyond pointy ears
and false teeth to make Max Schreck ugly enough to play the
title role in what 1922 silent classic?

10. Which film legend made the following prediction in 1924?
"It will never be possible to synchronize the voice with
the pictures.... There will never be speaking pictures."

* Game 3, Round 3 - History - It Happened Last Year! Events of 2010

All of these events happened """last year""". You say *which
month*. Answers may repeat.

1. A massive earthquake strikes Haiti.

2. Magnitude 5 earthquake in eastern Ontario and western Quebec.
The quake is felt in Toronto.

3. In Toronto, a fire in a St. James Town apartment building
injures 14, and causes the evacuation of 1,200 people,
some for several months.

4. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is arrested in England on
a Swedish warrant.

5. An oil-rig explosion in the gulf of Mexico begins the Gulf
Oil Spill.

6. An Icelandic volcano spews an ash cloud, disrupting air
travel across Europe. We want the beginning of that
disruption.

7. In Chile, 33 miners are brought back to the surface after
69 days underground.

8. Spain beats the Netherlands 1-0 to win the World Cup.

9. North Korea shells an island belonging to South Korea, killing
4 people and sparking fears of a resumption of the Korean War.

10. The G20 summit in Toronto: meetings, fake lakes, protests,
kettling, etc.

--
Mark Brader "I cannot reply in French, but I will
Toronto type English very slowly and loudly."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010

<sf7n37$tmv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3208&group=rec.games.trivia#3208

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 2-3: silent movies, 2010
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2021 23:16:05 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 14 Aug 2021 06:16 UTC

On 8/13/21 10:17 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Barack Obama was in Ireland last week, paying a visit to
> Moneygall, birthplace of his great-great-great-grandfather.
> The """president""" quipped, "My name is Barack Obama of the
> Moneygall Obamas, and I've come home to find the [BLANK] we
> lost somewhere along the way." What did Obama joke about his
> family losing?

apostrophe

> 2. Eulogies are rolling in for the so-called "Godfather of Rap",
> dead at the age of 62. He was known for such angry early
> 70s songs as "The Revolution will Not be Televised" and
> "Whitey's on the Moon", and had recently cut a comeback album.
> Name him.
>

> * Game 3, Round 2 - Entertainment - The Silent Screen
>
> 1. This German actor starred in such silent classics as "The
> Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" and "The Hands of Orlac". He made
> the transition to sound, continuing to work until his death
> in 1943. His second-last role was as Major Strasser in
> "Casablanca".
>
> 2. This 1926 Buster Keaton classic is based on the same
> historical incident as Walt Disney's "Great Locomotive
> Chase" of 30 years later. Name the silent movie.
>
> 3. Despite the loss of two digits of his right hand to the
> accidental explosion of a prop bomb in 1919, this silent
> funny man did all his own stunts -- which included climbing
> the outside of a skyscraper 4 years later in "Safety Last".
> The arrival of sound, however, brought his career crashing
> to earth. Name him.
>
> 4. In the silent thriller "The Lodger", an innocent man
> (played by Ivor Novello) is suspected of being a killer of
> beautiful blondes. The director declined to participate
> in the sound remake, but went on to a long and successful
> career in the talkies. He died in 1980. Name him.
>
> 5. In the silent era, language was no barrier to the mobility
> of talent. American actress Louise Brooks went abroad to make
> her two best-known films, "Pandora's Box" and "Diary of a
> Lost Girl". To what country?
>
> 6. German actress Brigitte Helm is best remembered for her
> debut role as a demagogic robot in a 1927 silent directed
> by Fritz Lang. Name the film.

Metropolis

> 7. In 1924, Louis B. Mayer signed her reluctantly, saying,
> "In America, men don't like fat women." In 1928, half a dozen
> silent features later, "Life" magazine called her "the dream
> princess of eternity, the knockout of the ages." Name her.
>
> 8. 31 years before directing Audrey Hepburn and Mel Ferrer in
> "War and Peace", King Vidor produced and directed a silent
> hit called "The Big Parade". Which war was its subject?
>
> 9. Director F.W. Murnau required no makeup beyond pointy ears
> and false teeth to make Max Schreck ugly enough to play the
> title role in what 1922 silent classic?
>
> 10. Which film legend made the following prediction in 1924?
> "It will never be possible to synchronize the voice with
> the pictures.... There will never be speaking pictures."
>

> * Game 3, Round 3 - History - It Happened Last Year! Events of 2010
>
> All of these events happened """last year""". You say *which
> month*. Answers may repeat.
>
> 1. A massive earthquake strikes Haiti.
>
> 2. Magnitude 5 earthquake in eastern Ontario and western Quebec.
> The quake is felt in Toronto.
>
> 3. In Toronto, a fire in a St. James Town apartment building
> injures 14, and causes the evacuation of 1,200 people,
> some for several months.
>
> 4. WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange is arrested in England on
> a Swedish warrant.
>
> 5. An oil-rig explosion in the gulf of Mexico begins the Gulf
> Oil Spill.
>
> 6. An Icelandic volcano spews an ash cloud, disrupting air
> travel across Europe. We want the beginning of that
> disruption.
>
> 7. In Chile, 33 miners are brought back to the surface after
> 69 days underground.
>
> 8. Spain beats the Netherlands 1-0 to win the World Cup.

July

--
Dan Tilque