Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2022 07:49:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TN: Billards over Lapierre, Foillard, Metras, etc
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 30 Jun 2022 14:49 UTC

On Wednesday, June 29, 2022 at 7:24:48 PM UTC-4, greybeard wrote:
> On 30/06/22 05:44, Mark Lipton wrote:
> >> 2000 Jadot Beaujolais-Villages
> >> I thought it was optimistic of Cathleen to open,but ended up being one
> >> of my favorites. If very mature. Dead leaves when first opened, but
> >> cleans up, , cigarbox and forest floor, some cherry fruit hanging
> >> on.Fun.B/B+
> >
> > This is fun! I've been reading Jeff's notes on the event, and
> > eventually I'll get to see JG's notes. As I opined to Jeff, I really
> > don't see the point in aging a B-V, which AFAIC isn't meant to be aged,
> > apart from scientific curiosity. I certainly wouldn't expect it to get
> > any better with age.

I think Jeff and Brad liked less than those at my end. I was shocked at the idea of 20+ year BV (why I called Cathleen optimistic) But Cathleen was at Kobrand for many years, and said at the time (IIRC) that the Jadot BV from this period was mostly Regnie. She thought it was structured and put away some bottles in a box with some Ch des Jacques. .When Regnie became a cru (about this time) Jadot had the long term contracts, but didnt want to add a cru bottling and lose the bulk of their BV source. Not true these days I'm sure.

> >> 2009 Metras Fleurie
> >> Good fruit, a bit low acid, again I don’t think this uses oak but
> >> has a vanilla tone. B-
> >
> > Sasha really hated this, and said that it had a lactic note. Do you
> > think that might be what you're calling vanilla? I really can't recall
> > getting a lactic note in an aged wine.
I'm sure that vanillin oak and lactic notes are on same area of flavor wheel, and it's quite possible my vanilla is Sasha's oak

cheers