"Gotcha, you snot-necked weenies!" -- Post Bros. Comics

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsDan Tilque
+- RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6 answers: dancing athletes and epidemicsMark Brader
`- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemicsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<OcadnVz5geuDqIb8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3213&group=rec.games.trivia#3213

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2021 23:03:42 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 04:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Sports - Dancing With the Sports Stars

Many athletes have appeared on "Dancing With the Stars" (DWTS).
Unlike many of their competitors, the athletes have generally had
respectable careers, even great ones. And unlike supermodels and
TV show hosts, they usually dance really well. Given the career
info, the season, standing and dance partner, name the athlete.

Note that the show has averaged two "seasons" per year: Season 1
was in the summer of 2005, and Season 12 """just finished""".

1. This Brazilian, nicknamed "Spiderman", won the Indy 500 in 2001,
2002 and 2009. But real fame and glory came when he won first
place in Season 5 of DWTS with the lovely Julianne Hough.

2. This NFL linebacker was with the Dolphins until 2007 and
"""currently""" with the Jets. In 2006, he was defensive player
of the year. In 2007, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year.
In 2008, he sashayed his way to second place, dancing with the
lovely Edita Slywinska.

3. His nickname is "the Real Deal". After winning the bronze medal
in the 1984 Olympics, he went on to win the WBA World Heavyweight
Championship 4 times. In the 1st season of DWTS, he came in 5th,
also dancing with the lovely Edyta Sliwinska.

4. He was shooting guard for the Portland Trail Blazers from
1983 to 1995 and then for the Houston Rockets. He won Olympic
gold in 1992; he was a 10-time All-Star, and a Hall of Famer
in 2004. No slam dunk in DWTS, though -- he came in 8th with
the lovely Elena Grinenko in Season 4.

5. This tennis star was ranked #1 in 1991 when she was just 17.
She went on to win 9 Grand Slam titles. However, she was a
miserable dancer, stumbling to 11th place in Season 6 with the
help of her hunky partner, Jonathan Roberts.

6. This 1992 Olympic figure-skating gold medalist also won the
world championships in 1991 and 1992. In Season 6 of DWTS, she
was paired with hunky Mark Ballas, and came in first yet again.

7. This American short-track speed skater won gold in Turin for
the 500 m and in Salt Lake City for the 1500 m. He's also
won enough silver and bronze to make him the """winningest"""
American Winter Olympian. He danced his way to first place in
Season 4, with lovely partner Julianne Hough.

8. She was Super Middleweight Champion in 2002 and 2005. From 1999
to 2006 she had 24 wins and no losses, although she was accused
of avoiding any of the real contenders. In Season 4, she came
in third, dancing with the hunky Maksim Chmerkovsky.

9. This NFL wide receiver with San Francisco and Oakland was
inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Too many stats to
mention -- 3-time Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP, 2-time
offensive player of the year, etc., etc. One of the NFL greats
*and* he danced to second place with the lovely Anna Trebunskaya
in Season 2.

10. He was #99 -- defensive tackle for Tampa Bay until 2003,
then Oakland until 2007. Super Bowl in 2002. Despite his
unsportsmanlike behavior on the field, he was smooth and sassy
on the dance floor with lovely partner Kym Johnson, coming in
second in Season 7.

* Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics

These are questions about epidemics, epidemiology, and public
health.

1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
-- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
specific.

3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
"""has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
in 2004?

4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
what does the R stand for?

5. It's considered one of the top 10 public health achievements
ever, but even so, Ontario Public Health was compelled """last
April""" to release a paper to confirm its safety. It """has
been in effect in Toronto since 1963""". What is this public
health measure?

6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
outbreak of what disease?

7. Caused by the bacterium Yersinis pestis, this disease is
characterized by the development of swollen lymph nodes in
the groin or armpits. Its name comes from the Greek word for
"a swelling in the groin". What is the disease?

8. Influenza vaccines are generally grown in what medium?

9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
been eradicated. What disease?

10. The Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health """is"""
one of only 15 virology labs in the world with a Level 4 testing
facility -- a tightly sealed concrete box covered in thick epoxy,
all to contain the samples of deadly viruses stored therein.
Where is it?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre
ba nal dhrfgvba jnf whfg "cynthr", tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ah. I am now confused at a much more
msb@vex.net | advanced level, thank you." --Mike Lyle

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<XnsAD89D459EC3B0Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3215&group=rec.games.trivia#3215

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 20:52:29 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 18:52 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics
>
> These are questions about epidemics, epidemiology, and public
> health.
>
> 1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
> -- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

Number of deaths
> 2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
> specific.

A disease with animals that spreads to humans.
> 3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
> """has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
> in 2004?

Bird flu.
> 4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
> A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
> but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
> autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
> what does the R stand for?

In Swedish we call it "röda hund" (red dog), but I think it is called
Rubella in English.
> 6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
> in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
> the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
> outbreak of what disease?

Cholera
> 7. Caused by the bacterium Yersinis pestis, this disease is
> characterized by the development of swollen lymph nodes in
> the groin or armpits. Its name comes from the Greek word for
> "a swelling in the groin". What is the disease?

Bubonic Plague
> 9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
> deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
> Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
> been eradicated. What disease?

Smallpox

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<sfhabu$up$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3216&group=rec.games.trivia#3216

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:40:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 21:40 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports - Dancing With the Sports Stars

> 4. He was shooting guard for the Portland Trail Blazers from
> 1983 to 1995 and then for the Houston Rockets. He won Olympic
> gold in 1992; he was a 10-time All-Star, and a Hall of Famer
> in 2004. No slam dunk in DWTS, though -- he came in 8th with
> the lovely Elena Grinenko in Season 4.

Olajuwon

> 5. This tennis star was ranked #1 in 1991 when she was just 17.
> She went on to win 9 Grand Slam titles. However, she was a
> miserable dancer, stumbling to 11th place in Season 6 with the
> help of her hunky partner, Jonathan Roberts.

Graf

> 9. This NFL wide receiver with San Francisco and Oakland was
> inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Too many stats to
> mention -- 3-time Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP, 2-time
> offensive player of the year, etc., etc. One of the NFL greats
> *and* he danced to second place with the lovely Anna Trebunskaya
> in Season 2.

Montana

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics

> 1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
> -- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

deaths

> 2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
> specific.

a disease which originates in other animals and is transmitted to
humans

> 3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
> """has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
> in 2004?

bird flu

> 4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
> A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
> but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
> autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
> what does the R stand for?

rubella

> 5. It's considered one of the top 10 public health achievements
> ever, but even so, Ontario Public Health was compelled """last
> April""" to release a paper to confirm its safety. It """has
> been in effect in Toronto since 1963""". What is this public
> health measure?

required pasteurization of milk; treatment of drinking water

> 6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
> in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
> the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
> outbreak of what disease?

cholera

> 7. Caused by the bacterium Yersinis pestis, this disease is
> characterized by the development of swollen lymph nodes in
> the groin or armpits. Its name comes from the Greek word for
> "a swelling in the groin". What is the disease?

bubonic plague

> 9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
> deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
> Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
> been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<56ddd49a-9ad8-468d-ac7a-c308169ad52an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3217&group=rec.games.trivia#3217

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2021 16:42:07 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 17 Aug 2021 23:42 UTC

On Monday, August 16, 2021 at 11:03:48 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports - Dancing With the Sports Stars
>
> 1. This Brazilian, nicknamed "Spiderman", won the Indy 500 in 2001,
> 2002 and 2009. But real fame and glory came when he won first
> place in Season 5 of DWTS with the lovely Julianne Hough.

Castroneves

> 3. His nickname is "the Real Deal". After winning the bronze medal
> in the 1984 Olympics, he went on to win the WBA World Heavyweight
> Championship 4 times. In the 1st season of DWTS, he came in 5th,
> also dancing with the lovely Edyta Sliwinska.

Holyfield
> 4. He was shooting guard for the Portland Trail Blazers from
> 1983 to 1995 and then for the Houston Rockets. He won Olympic
> gold in 1992; he was a 10-time All-Star, and a Hall of Famer
> in 2004. No slam dunk in DWTS, though -- he came in 8th with
> the lovely Elena Grinenko in Season 4.

Olajuwon

> 5. This tennis star was ranked #1 in 1991 when she was just 17.
> She went on to win 9 Grand Slam titles. However, she was a
> miserable dancer, stumbling to 11th place in Season 6 with the
> help of her hunky partner, Jonathan Roberts.

Seles

> 6. This 1992 Olympic figure-skating gold medalist also won the
> world championships in 1991 and 1992. In Season 6 of DWTS, she
> was paired with hunky Mark Ballas, and came in first yet again.

Yamaguchi

> 7. This American short-track speed skater won gold in Turin for
> the 500 m and in Salt Lake City for the 1500 m. He's also
> won enough silver and bronze to make him the """winningest"""
> American Winter Olympian. He danced his way to first place in
> Season 4, with lovely partner Julianne Hough.

Ohno

> 8. She was Super Middleweight Champion in 2002 and 2005. From 1999
> to 2006 she had 24 wins and no losses, although she was accused
> of avoiding any of the real contenders. In Season 4, she came
> in third, dancing with the hunky Maksim Chmerkovsky.

Ali

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics
>
> These are questions about epidemics, epidemiology, and public
> health.
>
> 1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
> -- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

deaths

> 2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
> specific.

spreads from animals to humans

> 3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
> """has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
> in 2004?

bird flu

> 4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
> A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
> but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
> autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
> what does the R stand for?

rubella

> 5. It's considered one of the top 10 public health achievements
> ever, but even so, Ontario Public Health was compelled """last
> April""" to release a paper to confirm its safety. It """has
> been in effect in Toronto since 1963""". What is this public
> health measure?

fluoridation of water

> 6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
> in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
> the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
> outbreak of what disease?

cholera

> 9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
> deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
> Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
> been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<sfii4n$n2m$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3218&group=rec.games.trivia#3218

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2021 01:59:02 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 18 Aug 2021 08:59 UTC

On 8/16/21 9:03 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports - Dancing With the Sports Stars
>
> Many athletes have appeared on "Dancing With the Stars" (DWTS).
> Unlike many of their competitors, the athletes have generally had
> respectable careers, even great ones. And unlike supermodels and
> TV show hosts, they usually dance really well. Given the career
> info, the season, standing and dance partner, name the athlete.
>
> Note that the show has averaged two "seasons" per year: Season 1
> was in the summer of 2005, and Season 12 """just finished""".
>
> 1. This Brazilian, nicknamed "Spiderman", won the Indy 500 in 2001,
> 2002 and 2009. But real fame and glory came when he won first
> place in Season 5 of DWTS with the lovely Julianne Hough.
>
> 2. This NFL linebacker was with the Dolphins until 2007 and
> """currently""" with the Jets. In 2006, he was defensive player
> of the year. In 2007, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year.
> In 2008, he sashayed his way to second place, dancing with the
> lovely Edita Slywinska.
>
> 3. His nickname is "the Real Deal". After winning the bronze medal
> in the 1984 Olympics, he went on to win the WBA World Heavyweight
> Championship 4 times. In the 1st season of DWTS, he came in 5th,
> also dancing with the lovely Edyta Sliwinska.
>
> 4. He was shooting guard for the Portland Trail Blazers from
> 1983 to 1995 and then for the Houston Rockets. He won Olympic
> gold in 1992; he was a 10-time All-Star, and a Hall of Famer
> in 2004. No slam dunk in DWTS, though -- he came in 8th with
> the lovely Elena Grinenko in Season 4.

Clyde Drexler

> 5. This tennis star was ranked #1 in 1991 when she was just 17.
> She went on to win 9 Grand Slam titles. However, she was a
> miserable dancer, stumbling to 11th place in Season 6 with the
> help of her hunky partner, Jonathan Roberts.
>
> 6. This 1992 Olympic figure-skating gold medalist also won the
> world championships in 1991 and 1992. In Season 6 of DWTS, she
> was paired with hunky Mark Ballas, and came in first yet again.
>
> 7. This American short-track speed skater won gold in Turin for
> the 500 m and in Salt Lake City for the 1500 m. He's also
> won enough silver and bronze to make him the """winningest"""
> American Winter Olympian. He danced his way to first place in
> Season 4, with lovely partner Julianne Hough.
>
> 8. She was Super Middleweight Champion in 2002 and 2005. From 1999
> to 2006 she had 24 wins and no losses, although she was accused
> of avoiding any of the real contenders. In Season 4, she came
> in third, dancing with the hunky Maksim Chmerkovsky.
>
> 9. This NFL wide receiver with San Francisco and Oakland was
> inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Too many stats to
> mention -- 3-time Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP, 2-time
> offensive player of the year, etc., etc. One of the NFL greats
> *and* he danced to second place with the lovely Anna Trebunskaya
> in Season 2.

Rice

> 10. He was #99 -- defensive tackle for Tampa Bay until 2003,
> then Oakland until 2007. Super Bowl in 2002. Despite his
> unsportsmanlike behavior on the field, he was smooth and sassy
> on the dance floor with lovely partner Kym Johnson, coming in
> second in Season 7.
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics
>
> These are questions about epidemics, epidemiology, and public
> health.
>
> 1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
> -- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

deaths

> 2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
> specific.

a disease transmitted from animals to humans

> 3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
> """has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
> in 2004?

bird flu

> 4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
> A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
> but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
> autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
> what does the R stand for?

rubela

> 5. It's considered one of the top 10 public health achievements
> ever, but even so, Ontario Public Health was compelled """last
> April""" to release a paper to confirm its safety. It """has
> been in effect in Toronto since 1963""". What is this public
> health measure?
>
> 6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
> in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
> the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
> outbreak of what disease?

cholera

> 7. Caused by the bacterium Yersinis pestis, this disease is
> characterized by the development of swollen lymph nodes in
> the groin or armpits. Its name comes from the Greek word for
> "a swelling in the groin". What is the disease?

bubonic plague

> 8. Influenza vaccines are generally grown in what medium?

eggs

> 9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
> deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
> Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
> been eradicated. What disease?

smallpox

> 10. The Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health """is"""
> one of only 15 virology labs in the world with a Level 4 testing
> facility -- a tightly sealed concrete box covered in thick epoxy,
> all to contain the samples of deadly viruses stored therein.
> Where is it?

Winnipeg

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbhe nafjre
> ba nal dhrfgvba jnf whfg "cynthr", tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6 answers: dancing athletes and epidemics

<3JmdndL5a9HR1YL8nZ2dnUU7-bXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3219&group=rec.games.trivia#3219

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6 answers: dancing athletes and epidemics
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 01:14:36 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:14 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Sports - Dancing With the Sports Stars

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> Many athletes have appeared on "Dancing With the Stars" (DWTS).
> Unlike many of their competitors, the athletes have generally had
> respectable careers, even great ones. And unlike supermodels and
> TV show hosts, they usually dance really well. Given the career
> info, the season, standing and dance partner, name the athlete.

> Note that the show has averaged two "seasons" per year: Season 1
> was in the summer of 2005, and Season 12 """just finished""".

And it's still going, with Season_30 coming up next.

> 1. This Brazilian, nicknamed "Spiderman", won the Indy 500 in 2001,
> 2002 and 2009. But real fame and glory came when he won first
> place in Season 5 of DWTS with the lovely Julianne Hough.

Helio Castroneves. (He won the Indy again in 2021.) 4 for Joshua.

> 2. This NFL linebacker was with the Dolphins until 2007 and
> """currently""" with the Jets. In 2006, he was defensive player
> of the year. In 2007, he was the Walter Payton Man of the Year.
> In 2008, he sashayed his way to second place, dancing with the
> lovely Edita Slywinska.

Jason Taylor. (He moved back to Miami for 2011 and then retired.)

> 3. His nickname is "the Real Deal". After winning the bronze medal
> in the 1984 Olympics, he went on to win the WBA World Heavyweight
> Championship 4 times. In the 1st season of DWTS, he came in 5th,
> also dancing with the lovely Edyta Sliwinska.

Evander Holyfield. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> 4. He was shooting guard for the Portland Trail Blazers from
> 1983 to 1995 and then for the Houston Rockets. He won Olympic
> gold in 1992; he was a 10-time All-Star, and a Hall of Famer
> in 2004. No slam dunk in DWTS, though -- he came in 8th with
> the lovely Elena Grinenko in Season 4.

Clyde Drexler. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 5. This tennis star was ranked #1 in 1991 when she was just 17.
> She went on to win 9 Grand Slam titles. However, she was a
> miserable dancer, stumbling to 11th place in Season 6 with the
> help of her hunky partner, Jonathan Roberts.

Monica Seles. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. This 1992 Olympic figure-skating gold medalist also won the
> world championships in 1991 and 1992. In Season 6 of DWTS, she
> was paired with hunky Mark Ballas, and came in first yet again.

Kristi Yamaguchi. 4 for Joshua.

> 7. This American short-track speed skater won gold in Turin for
> the 500 m and in Salt Lake City for the 1500 m. He's also
> won enough silver and bronze to make him the """winningest"""
> American Winter Olympian. He danced his way to first place in
> Season 4, with lovely partner Julianne Hough.

Apollo Anton Ohno. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. She was Super Middleweight Champion in 2002 and 2005. From 1999
> to 2006 she had 24 wins and no losses, although she was accused
> of avoiding any of the real contenders. In Season 4, she came
> in third, dancing with the hunky Maksim Chmerkovsky.

Leila Ali. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. This NFL wide receiver with San Francisco and Oakland was
> inducted into the Hall of Fame in 2010. Too many stats to
> mention -- 3-time Super Bowl champion, Super Bowl MVP, 2-time
> offensive player of the year, etc., etc. One of the NFL greats
> *and* he danced to second place with the lovely Anna Trebunskaya
> in Season 2.

Jerry Rice. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 10. He was #99 -- defensive tackle for Tampa Bay until 2003,
> then Oakland until 2007. Super Bowl in 2002. Despite his
> unsportsmanlike behavior on the field, he was smooth and sassy
> on the dance floor with lovely partner Kym Johnson, coming in
> second in Season 7.

Warren Sapp.

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Science - Epidemiology & Epidemics

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> These are questions about epidemics, epidemiology, and public
> health.

> 1. Health officials """use""" a PSI scale -- Pandemic Severity Index
> -- which compares the number of infections to the number of what?

Deaths. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

The PSI has been replaced by the PSAF -- Pandemic Severity Assessment
Framework -- which takes additional factors into account.

> 2. As usually defined, what is a zoonotic disease? Be sufficiently
> specific.

One that's transmissible from animals to humans. (Some people
consider the other direction as zoonotic as well, but this is not
generally accepted and was not acceptable here.) 4 for everyone.

> 3. By what common name do we know the influenza subtype H5N1, which
> """has caused""" concern since surfacing in Vietnam and Thailand
> in 2004?

Avian (bird or chicken) flu. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 4. Most children """are""" given a 3-part vaccine called MMR.
> A study in 1998, discredited years later as not merely misleading
> but actually fraudulent, led to widespread fears that it caused
> autism. The two M's in the name are for measles and mumps;
> what does the R stand for?

Rubella. (Still true as far as I know.) 4 for everyone.

> 5. It's considered one of the top 10 public health achievements
> ever, but even so, Ontario Public Health was compelled """last
> April""" to release a paper to confirm its safety. It """has
> been in effect in Toronto since 1963""". What is this public
> health measure?

Fluoridation of drinking water. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

I did not consider "treatment" of drinking water to be close enough.

> 6. John Snow, one of the fathers of epidemiology, made his mark
> in 1854 when he persuaded a local council in London to remove
> the handle of a neighborhood water pump, thus ending the local
> outbreak of what disease?

Cholera. 4 for everyone.

Recommended reading: "The Ghost Map" (2006) by Steven Johnson.

> 7. Caused by the bacterium Yersinis pestis, this disease is
> characterized by the development of swollen lymph nodes in
> the groin or armpits. Its name comes from the Greek word for
> "a swelling in the groin". What is the disease?

Bubonic plague. (Both words required, since the question clearly
described the bubonic form.) 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Influenza vaccines are generally grown in what medium?

(Chicken) eggs. (Still true as far as I know.) 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Also known as variola, this virus was the cause of millions of
> deaths and the leading cause of death through the 19th century.
> Yet the World Health Assembly declared in 1980 that it had
> been eradicated. What disease?

Smallpox. 4 for everyone.

> 10. The Canadian Science Centre for Human and Animal Health """is"""
> one of only 15 virology labs in the world with a Level 4 testing
> facility -- a tightly sealed concrete box covered in thick epoxy,
> all to contain the samples of deadly viruses stored therein.
> Where is it?

Winnipeg. 4 for Dan Tilque.

There are now over 50 such labs in the world; this is still the only
one in Canada.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 3 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Spo Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 32 4 24 28 88
Dan Blum 21 6 0 28 55
Dan Tilque 4 4 8 36 52
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 0 28 40

--
Mark Brader "It's simply a matter of style, and while there
Toronto are many wrong styles, there really isn't any

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: dancing athletes and epidemics

<IJqdnZPtm_mc1IL8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3220&group=rec.games.trivia#3220

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2021 01:17:37 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 20 Aug 2021 06:17 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-05-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

*****BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*****
***** REMOVE ANSWERS *****
***** REMOVE REFERENCES *****
***** ADD ./mime *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CHECK ROT13 *****
***** CHECK HANDOUT/URL *****
**********************************

******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
***** ADD ./mime *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CLEAR ROT13 *****
**********************************

* Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana Arts - Canadian Artists

Please see the 2-page handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g3r7/arts.pdf

We give you the name of a canonical Canadian artist; you give the
letter of the work by that artist.

1. Emily Carr.
2. Tom Thomson.
3. Norval Morriseau.
4. Lawren Harris.
5. Alex Colville.
6. William Kurelek.
7. Paul Peel.
8. Kenojuak Ashevak.
9. David Milne.
10. J.E.H. MacDonald.

So there were 14 decoys. If you like, decode the rot13 for the
names of the other artists and give the corresponding picture
letters for fun, but for no points.

11. Jvyyvnz Orepml.
12. Wnpx Ohfu.
13. Wnpx Punzoref.
14. Orawnzva Purr Purr.
15. Tert Pheabr.
16. Xra Qnaol.
17. Cngrefba Rjra.
18. Y.Y. Svgmtrenyq.
19. Cnhy Xnar.
20. Pbearyvhf Xevrtubss.
21. Bmvnf Yrqhp.
22. Wnzrf J. Zbeevpr.
23. Puevfgvnar Csyht.
24. Ovyy Ervq.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Canadiana - Oh, Canada

All questions deal with our national anthem.

1. Within five years, when did "O Canada" officially become the
national anthem of Canada?

2. Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with the
previous question. Gur bssvpvny irefvba bs gur nagurz nccebirq
ol gur Angvbany Nagurz Npg vapyhqrq gjb punatrf gb gur Ratyvfu
ylevpf craarq 72 lrnef rneyvre ol Eboreg Fgnayrl Jrve. Bar bs
uvf ercrgvgvir yvarf "Naq fgnaq ba thneq" jnf punatrq gb "Sebz
sne naq jvqr". Bar bs uvf erqhaqnag "B Pnanqn"f jnf nyfb,
fbzrjung pbagebirefvnyyl, punatrq -- gb jung?

3. The 2010 Throne Speech, delivered by Governor-General Micha�lle
Jean, proposed changing another of the lyrics of "O Canada".
The ensuing uproar led Stephen Harper's government to withdraw
the proposal only two days later. What was the offending lyric?

4. Who composed the music for "O Canada"?

5. Canada's oldest independent record label, home since 1969
to artists including Bruce Cockburn, Randy Bachman, Lighthouse,
Rough Trade, and Murray McLauchlan, takes its name from a phrase
that appears in the national anthem. Name the record label.

6. Please decode the rot13 after you have finished with the
previous question. Juvpu Ivpgbevna cbrg pbvarq gur cuenfr
"gehr abegu" va ersrerapr gb Pnanqn? Vg nccrnef va uvf cbrz
plpyr "Gur Vqlyyf bs gur Xvat".

7. The motto of the """Canadian Forces Land Force Command"""
"""is""" "Vigilamus pro te", a translation into Latin of which
line from "O Canada"? Exact wording from the song required.

8. On the October 18, 2002, before the second game of the World
Series between Toronto and Atlanta, a US military honor guard
committed an embarrassing faux pas during the singing of
"O Canada". What did they do wrong?

9. Name the singer whose inspiring bilingual rendition of "O Canada"
was heard before Montreal Canadiens, Expos, and Alouettes games
through the 1970s.

10. Name the singer whose "jazzy" rendition of "O Canada" to open
the Vancouver Olympics produced mixed reactions.

--
Mark Brader | It sure does have some pretty colors. True, the film is...
Toronto | a failure in nearly every other department, but you can't