Newsgroups: alt.tv.pol-incorrect,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,alt.politics.religion,alt.politics,alt.politics.terrorism
Subject: Hamas says it will use Sharia law as guide
From: web...@polaris.net (Ubiquitous)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 21:05:03 -0400
 by: Ubiquitous - Sat, 28 Oct 2023 01:05 UTC

Hamas will use sharia as a guide for legislation after winning
Palestinian elections, but has no plan to enforce strict Islamic law,
close bars or stop men and women mixing in public, a senior leader said
on Sunday.

Hamas�s shock victory in last week�s parliamentary election has stirred
concerns among more liberal Palestinians that the Islamist group could
enforce conservative views after defeating President Mahmoud Abbas�s
secular Fatah movement.

�We will not intervene in any aspect of Palestinian life ... except to
convince people in a polite way,� said Mahmoud Ramahi, a member of the
Hamas politburo who won a seat in the new parliament.

�We are making efforts so that the sharia will be the source of
legislation, but in order to implement Islamic rule, this needs a
state. When we get a state, we will leave it to people to choose,� he
told Reuters in an interview.

�We will let the people decide by holding a referendum, and we are sure
the Palestinian people will choose Islam.�

Hamas softened some of its rhetoric ahead of the Palestinian election,
emphasizing its fight against corruption and its charity work rather
than its formal aim of replacing Israel, the West Bank and Gaza Strip
with an Islamic state.

Having won the election, Hamas now hopes to court other Palestinian
parties to join a coalition and cannot afford to say anything that will
drive them off. Fatah leaders have already said they do not want to
join Hamas in government.

Hamas also hopes to try and win over Western donors that brand it a
terrorist group for a suicide bombing campaign that killed hundreds of
Israelis. The United States and European Union demand that Hamas disarm
and change its position on Israel.

The 43-year-old anesthetist said he wished that bars and restaurants
did not serve alcohol, but Hamas would not close them if they did.

�We won�t at any time introduce change by using force. We depend on
cementing beliefs,� Ramahi said. �If people are convinced, then so be
it. If not, it�s up to them.�

Ramallah is one of the most liberal cities in the Middle East, but the
Gaza Strip is far more conservative. The last bar openly serving
alcohol in Gaza City � a United Nations club � was blown up by
militants on New Year�s Day.

Although Hamas is formally committed to destroying Israel, it has said
it could accept a temporary state and a long term truce if Israel gave
up all of the West Bank and East Jerusalem following last year�s
withdrawal from the Gaza Strip.

Hamas has largely followed a truce for nearly a year.

Israel has said it will not talk to a Palestinian government that has
Hamas members unless the group disarms and drops its vow to destroy the
Jewish state.

--
Islam is a peaceful religion, just as long as the women are beaten, the
boys buggered and the infidels are killed.