Nothing ever becomes real until it is experienced. -- John Keats

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresswp
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squaresPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie puppets, town squaresMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<DJydnY7pS5FVxLH8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3239&group=rec.games.trivia#3239

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:08:40 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 04:08 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Puppets and Dummies and Dolls - Oh My!

The following questions deal with puppets and puppetry featured
in movies. Sorry, no Muppets.

1. Name the 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist
driven to murder by his mad dummy.

2. What actress suffered the attacks of a Zuni fetish doll come
to life in the third part of 1975's "Trilogy of Terror"?

3. Which 2008 movie starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell ends with
a performance of a Dracula-puppet rock opera, "A Taste for Love"?

4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.

5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
see a sample?

6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?

7. He wasn't the puppeteer, but as producer and writer, he brought
the Thunderbirds to life in the mid-1960s TV series and in movies
such as "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6". Name him.

8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
control of the body of another person. Name the movie.

9. Leaders of the Third Reich are portrayed by puppets in
this 7-hour meditation on Germany, history, cinema, and art
by Hans-Jergen Syberberg. """Order it now from Netflix."""
What is the title?

10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?

* Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares

Given the descriptions, you tell us the name of the square, or the
city where it's found, as applicable. *Disclaimer*: Town squares
aren't always square and they aren't always in towns. It's not
our fault!

1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
Name that square (in German).

2. In Bethlehem, this square """is""" surrounded by the Church of
the Nativity, the Mosque of Omar, and the Palestinian Peace
Center. Like many of the streets and buildings in the area,
the name of the square alludes to the birth of Jesus. What is
that name (in English)?

3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
open space. Name the square.

4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
Name the square.

5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
"""is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
In what city will you find it?

7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
is this square?

8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
Name the square.

9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

10. This square was established before the 13th century. Here you
"""can see""" the famous "Fountain of Joy" but the real draw
"""is""" the medieval horse race held every year, the Palio
di Siena. What is the name of the square?

--
Mark Brader | "No [flying machine] will ever fly from New York to
Toronto | Paris ...[because] no known motor can run at the
| -- Orville Wright, March 1909

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<4b6f7cff-cce1-42e1-8192-992eb428dfb0n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3240&group=rec.games.trivia#3240

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 22:14:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 05:14 UTC

On Sunday, August 29, 2021 at 11:08:46 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Puppets and Dummies and Dolls - Oh My!
>
> 1. Name the 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist
> driven to murder by his mad dummy.

"Magic"
> 3. Which 2008 movie starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell ends with
> a performance of a Dracula-puppet rock opera, "A Taste for Love"?

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall"
> 4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
> talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
> boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.

"The Beaver"

> 5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
> in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
> see a sample?

"The Year of Living Dangerously"

> 6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
> done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?

"The Sound of Music"

> 8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
> struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
> control of the body of another person. Name the movie.

"Being John Malkovich"

> 9. Leaders of the Third Reich are portrayed by puppets in
> this 7-hour meditation on Germany, history, cinema, and art
> by Hans-Jergen Syberberg. """Order it now from Netflix."""
> What is the title?

"Our Hitler"

> 10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
> in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
> Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?

Karen Carpenter

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares
>
> Given the descriptions, you tell us the name of the square, or the
> city where it's found, as applicable.
>
> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

Alexanderplatz

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tienanmen Square

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Cairo

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

Havana
> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<sgi03q$lnv$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3241&group=rec.games.trivia#3241

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 00:07:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 07:07 UTC

On 8/29/21 9:08 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).
>
> 2. In Bethlehem, this square """is""" surrounded by the Church of
> the Nativity, the Mosque of Omar, and the Palestinian Peace
> Center. Like many of the streets and buildings in the area,
> the name of the square alludes to the birth of Jesus. What is
> that name (in English)?
>
> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the

Trafalgar Square

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tiananmen

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Cairo

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

Havana

> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square

> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

Tashkent

> 10. This square was established before the 13th century. Here you
> """can see""" the famous "Fountain of Joy" but the real draw
> """is""" the medieval horse race held every year, the Palio
> di Siena. What is the name of the square?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<XnsAD96D0527A6A6Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3242&group=rec.games.trivia#3242

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 20:28:43 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 18:28 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares
>
> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

Alexanderplatz
> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
> open space. Name the square.

Trafalgar Square
> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tianmen Square
> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Cairo
> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

Havana
> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague
> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square
> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

Samarkand

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<sgjskj$nac$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3243&group=rec.games.trivia#3243

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:20:35 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 00:20 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> 4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
> talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
> boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.

The Beaver

> 5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
> in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
> see a sample?

The Year of Living Dangerously

> 6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
> done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?

The Sound of Music

> 7. He wasn't the puppeteer, but as producer and writer, he brought
> the Thunderbirds to life in the mid-1960s TV series and in movies
> such as "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6". Name him.

Gerry Anderson

> 8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
> struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
> control of the body of another person. Name the movie.

Being John Malkovich

> 10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
> in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
> Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?

Karen Carpenter

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares

> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

Alexanderplatz

> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
> open space. Name the square.

Trafalgar Square

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tianamen Square

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Cairo

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to Jos? Mart?.
> In what city will you find it?

Bogota; Havana

> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square

> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

Agra

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<74527ffd-fb8d-4df1-ac79-09072f260bd7n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3245&group=rec.games.trivia#3245

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:49:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:49 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:08:46 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Puppets and Dummies and Dolls - Oh My!
>
> The following questions deal with puppets and puppetry featured
> in movies. Sorry, no Muppets.
>
> 1. Name the 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist
> driven to murder by his mad dummy.

magic

> 2. What actress suffered the attacks of a Zuni fetish doll come
> to life in the third part of 1975's "Trilogy of Terror"?

karen black

> 3. Which 2008 movie starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell ends with
> a performance of a Dracula-puppet rock opera, "A Taste for Love"?

forgetting sarah marshall

> 4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
> talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
> boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.

the beaver

> 5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
> in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
> see a sample?

the year of living dangerously

> 6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
> done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?

the sound of music

> 7. He wasn't the puppeteer, but as producer and writer, he brought
> the Thunderbirds to life in the mid-1960s TV series and in movies
> such as "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6". Name him.

gerry anderson

> 8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
> struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
> control of the body of another person. Name the movie.

being john malkovich

> 9. Leaders of the Third Reich are portrayed by puppets in
> this 7-hour meditation on Germany, history, cinema, and art
> by Hans-Jergen Syberberg. """Order it now from Netflix."""
> What is the title?

hitler: a film from germany

> 10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
> in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
> Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?

karen carpenter

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares
>
> Given the descriptions, you tell us the name of the square, or the
> city where it's found, as applicable. *Disclaimer*: Town squares
> aren't always square and they aren't always in towns. It's not
> our fault!
>
> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

alexanderplatz

> 2. In Bethlehem, this square """is""" surrounded by the Church of
> the Nativity, the Mosque of Omar, and the Palestinian Peace
> Center. Like many of the streets and buildings in the area,
> the name of the square alludes to the birth of Jesus. What is
> that name (in English)?

manger square

> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
> open space. Name the square.

trafalgar square

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

tiananmen square in beijing

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

tahrir square ; cairo

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

havana

> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

prague

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

red square in moscow

> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

ok, so it's in iran ... isfahan?

> 10. This square was established before the 13th century. Here you
> """can see""" the famous "Fountain of Joy" but the real draw
> """is""" the medieval horse race held every year, the Palio
> di Siena. What is the name of the square?

piazza del campo in sienna italy

> --
> Mark Brader | "No [flying machine] will ever fly from New York to
> Toronto | Paris ...[because] no known motor can run at the
> m...@vex.net | requisite speed for four days without stopping..."
> | -- Orville Wright, March 1909
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: movie puppets, town squares

<sgp4d6$bkv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3247&group=rec.games.trivia#3247

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 19:03:51 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 00:03 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Puppets and Dummies and Dolls - Oh My!
>
> The following questions deal with puppets and puppetry featured
> in movies. Sorry, no Muppets.
>
> 1. Name the 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist
> driven to murder by his mad dummy.
>
> 2. What actress suffered the attacks of a Zuni fetish doll come
> to life in the third part of 1975's "Trilogy of Terror"?
>
> 3. Which 2008 movie starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell ends with
> a performance of a Dracula-puppet rock opera, "A Taste for Love"?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall

> 4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
> talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
> boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.
>
> 5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
> in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
> see a sample?
>
> 6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
> done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?
>
> 7. He wasn't the puppeteer, but as producer and writer, he brought
> the Thunderbirds to life in the mid-1960s TV series and in movies
> such as "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6". Name him.

Anderson

> 8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
> struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
> control of the body of another person. Name the movie.
>
> 9. Leaders of the Third Reich are portrayed by puppets in
> this 7-hour meditation on Germany, history, cinema, and art
> by Hans-Jergen Syberberg. """Order it now from Netflix."""
> What is the title?
>
> 10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
> in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
> Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares
>
> Given the descriptions, you tell us the name of the square, or the
> city where it's found, as applicable. *Disclaimer*: Town squares
> aren't always square and they aren't always in towns. It's not
> our fault!
>
> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

Alexanderplatz

> 2. In Bethlehem, this square """is""" surrounded by the Church of
> the Nativity, the Mosque of Omar, and the Palestinian Peace
> Center. Like many of the streets and buildings in the area,
> the name of the square alludes to the birth of Jesus. What is
> that name (in English)?
>
> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
> open space. Name the square.

Trafalgar

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tiananmen

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Cairo

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

Mexico City; Santiago

> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square

> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

Tashkent

> 10. This square was established before the 13th century. Here you
> """can see""" the famous "Fountain of Joy" but the real draw
> """is""" the medieval horse race held every year, the Palio
> di Siena. What is the name of the square?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie puppets, town squares

<OPmdnQdib4Th0q38nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3248&group=rec.games.trivia#3248

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 4,6 answers: movie puppets, town squares
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:13:48 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 04:13 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Puppets and Dummies and Dolls - Oh My!

> The following questions deal with puppets and puppetry featured
> in movies. Sorry, no Muppets.

> 1. Name the 1978 movie starring Anthony Hopkins as a ventriloquist
> driven to murder by his mad dummy.

"Magic". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. What actress suffered the attacks of a Zuni fetish doll come
> to life in the third part of 1975's "Trilogy of Terror"?

Karen Black. The segment was called "Amelia". 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Which 2008 movie starring Jason Segel and Kristen Bell ends with
> a performance of a Dracula-puppet rock opera, "A Taste for Love"?

"Forgetting Sarah Marshall". 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete.

> 4. Mel Gibson comes back from the brink of suicide when he starts
> talking to a puppet that he carries around constantly from
> boardroom to bedroom. Name the movie.

"The Beaver". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 5. Wayang kulit is a traditional form of shadow puppetry prevalent
> in Java and Bali. In what 1982 movie by Peter Weir can you
> see a sample?

"The Year of Living Dangerously". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> 6. In what movie musical will you see a marionette performance
> done to the song "The Lonely Goatherd"?

"The Sound of Music". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 7. He wasn't the puppeteer, but as producer and writer, he brought
> the Thunderbirds to life in the mid-1960s TV series and in movies
> such as "Thunderbirds Are Go" and "Thunderbird 6". Name him.

Gerry Anderson. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 8. In this Spike Jonze film from 1999, John Cusack plays a
> struggling puppeteer who achieves fame and fortune after taking
> control of the body of another person. Name the movie.

"Being John Malkovich". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> 9. Leaders of the Third Reich are portrayed by puppets in
> this 7-hour meditation on Germany, history, cinema, and art
> by Hans-Jergen Syberberg. """Order it now from Netflix."""
> What is the title?

"Our Hitler: a Film from Germany" or "Hitler: a Film from Germany"
("Hitler: ein Film aus Deutschland"). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. Director Todd Haynes has often played with innovative casting
> in his movies. In his cult film "Superstar", from 1987, he used
> Ken and Barbie dolls to depict the tragic life of what singer?

Karen Carpenter. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * Game 4, Round 6 - Geography - 'Round Town Squares

> Given the descriptions, you tell us the name of the square, or the
> city where it's found, as applicable. *Disclaimer*: Town squares
> aren't always square and they aren't always in towns. It's not
> our fault!

As far as I can tell, all the descriptions and details in this round
are still accurate.

> 1. This transport hub in Berlin was named in honor of a visiting
> Russian emperor in 1805; it became the center of Berlin's
> nightlife in the 1920s, and a novel by Alfred Doblin was named
> after it. Around it, you """can see""" the Park Inn Berlin, the
> World Time Clock, and the Fountain of Friendship between Peoples.
> Name that square (in German).

Alexanderplatz. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Pete.

> 2. In Bethlehem, this square """is""" surrounded by the Church of
> the Nativity, the Mosque of Omar, and the Palestinian Peace
> Center. Like many of the streets and buildings in the area,
> the name of the square alludes to the birth of Jesus. What is
> that name (in English)?

Manger Square. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. The name of this one was originally to be "King William IV
> Square", but in 1805 it was named to commemorate a famous battle.
> Every year """since 1947, Norway has donated""" a Christmas
> tree as a token of thanks. Canada House """overlooks""" the
> open space. Name the square.

Trafalgar Square (London). 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 4. Considered the largest town square in the world, it was designed
> and built in 1651. """Bordered by the National Museum, and
> the Great Hall of the People, it's open and bare -- no trees
> or benches, just lampposts fitted with video cameras""".
> Name the square.

Tiananmen Square (Beijing). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Erland.

> 5. The name in Arabic translates as "Liberation Square". """To
> get there, just take the Metro to Sadat station.""" Give that
> Arabic name (in our alphabet), or just name the city.

Tahrir Square, Cairo. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen (the hard way), and Pete.

> 6. Translated as "Revolution Square (or Plaza)", this public space
> """is""" dominated by a monument dedicated to José Martí.
> In what city will you find it?

Havana. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, and Stephen. 2 for
Dan Blum.

> 7. The name of this old town square means "Old Town Square" -- what
> a coincidence! Anyway, from it you """can see""" Tyn Cathedral,
> St. Nicholas Church, and the Jan Hus Memorial. In what city
> is this square?

Prague. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Pete.

> 8. This square has been around for over 700 years. """Today""",
> this UNESCO Heritage Site """is surrounded""" by St. Basil's
> Cathedral, the GUM department store, Kazan Cathedral, State
> Historical Museum, and the Resurrection Gate. There """is"""
> a monument to two heroes who repelled Polish invaders in 1612.
> Name the square.

Red Square (Moscow). 4 for everyone.

> 9. Nagshe Jahan Square, also known as Imam Square, """is""" a
> UNESCO World Heritage Site located in what was one of the
> stops on the Silk Road. Formerly called the Shah Square, it
> was built 400 years ago to establish it as a capital city and
> cultural center. Name the city. (Hint: it isn't Tehran.)

....but it is in Iran. Isfahan. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. This square was established before the 13th century. Here you
> """can see""" the famous "Fountain of Joy" but the real draw
> """is""" the medieval horse race held every year, the Palio
> di Siena. What is the name of the square?

Piazza del Campo (Sienna, Italy). 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Spo Ent Geo
Stephen Perry 39 20 40 40 139
Dan Blum 40 0 24 26 90
Joshua Kreitzer 16 0 32 24 72
Dan Tilque 40 0 0 24 64
Pete Gayde 4 0 8 24 36
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 0 27 31
John Gerson 24 0 -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader | "In the USA politicians run for office. In Britain they
Toronto | stand for office. Of course... once elected... [they]