"Intelligence without character is a dangerous thing." -- G. Steinem

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletes

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesswp
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletesPete Gayde
`* RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletesMark Brader
 `* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletesswp
  `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletesMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<HbCdnWdfFteY8bX8nZ2dnUU7-YfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3231&group=rec.games.trivia#3231

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 23:37:25 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 04:37 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. What was the most notable 100th anniversary marked in Belfast
last week?

2. Which EU country will be legalizing divorce, the last to do so?

* Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi

1. In the novel "The Forever War", the hero is sent to fight in an
interstellar war. When he returns, many years have passed
at home while it's only been a short time for him, and he
goes on to command soldiers who speak a language largely
unrecognizable to him and who are exclusively homosexual.
Behind his back his troops refer to him as the "Old Queer"
because of his now-deviant heterosexuality. Name the author.

2. This author wrote in his "Eight Worlds" future history, written
in the 1970s, of a future humanity able to change gender at will.
He also featured lesbian protagonists in his Gaean trilogy --
"Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". Name the author.

3. In his most acclaimed novel, written in 1975, Samuel R. Delany
creates characters with a wide variety of sexuality. The book
also contains some of the first explicit scenes of gay sex in
science fiction. A complex novel, it has often been compared
to Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Name the novel.

4. Ursula K. LeGuin explores a radically alternative form of
sexuality in this 1969 novel. Her aliens usually are neither
male nor female, but undergo a monthly cycle when they randomly
become one or the other gender. Name the novel.

5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

7. This author wrote 1953's "The Lovers", an early sci-fi short
story featuring sex as a major theme. He also penned "Strange
Relations", with a human-alien love affair. In his novel
"Flesh", a hyper-masculine man with antlers impregnates legions
of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
strange world. Name him.

8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
"Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.

9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
prolific writer.

10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

* Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canada's Top 100 Athletes

Information in this round is from the book, "Canada's Top 100: The
Greatest Athletes of All Time", by Maggie Mooney, published in 2010.
All statistics shown are from that period. We give a clue, you
name the athlete. Spoiler: none of them is Gretzky, who was #1.

1. #4 on the Top 100 list, she's the top female. She """has won"""
6 Olympic medals: one from Salt Lake City and five from Turin.
She was the flag-bearer at the closing ceremonies in Turin.

2. He's #6 on the list. He captured Olympic gold, running 100 m
in 9.84 seconds. He """still holds""" the world record for 50 m.

3. #14 on the list, this downhill skier's aggressive style earned
her the nickname "Tiger". A """3-time""" Olympian, she captured
Olympic gold in the giant slalom at Grenoble, France, by a
margin of 2.68 seconds, one of the most decisive victories in
Olympic history.

4. #18. Canada's """greatest""" triathlete. Olympic gold in
Sidney, despite crashing his bike. Olympic silver in Beijing,
in another amazing come-from-behind performance.

5. At #23, he is the top swimmer on the list. At the Los Angeles
Olympics, he won the 200 m IM gold, and the 400 m gold the next
day. Later he became a director of the "Own the Podium" program.

6. At #20 on the list, Canada's top female amateur golfer of all
time dominated women's amateur golf in the 1950s and '60s, and
"""remains""" the only golfer to win the Canadian, US, British,
and Australian amateur championships. In 2003, she became
the *oldest* player to win the USGA senior championship title,
at age 69.

7. He is #5 on the list. He did it all: he was a champion in
wrestling, boxing, baseball, rugby, football, lacrosse,
and hockey. Each year, Canada's male athlete of the year
"""receives""" an award named after this man. His nickname was
"Big Train".

8. He is #51 on the list. This golfer, known as the "King of
Swing" for his perfect technique, went pro in 1958 and played
the professional circuit for 11 years, capturing 8 tournament
victories and coming one stroke away from the 1969 Masters.

9. He is #24 on the list. He took silver in speed skating,
behind Eric Heiden, in the 1980 Olympics. He came back from a
shattered ankle to win gold in the 1000 m at Sarajevo in 1984,
and laid the foundation for Canada's speed-skating empire.

10. This sprinter is #21 on the list. At the Amsterdam Olympics
of 1928, he won double gold in the 100 m and 200 m events, the
first non-American to do so. He won 21 of his next 22 races
and set a world 100 m record of 10.3 seconds, before retiring
in 1930.

--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<9c232885-12a2-4ceb-bb03-41cc5118256bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3232&group=rec.games.trivia#3232

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2021 21:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 04:51 UTC

On Thursday, August 26, 2021 at 11:37:31 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi
>
> 5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
> covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
> creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
> though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
> male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
> Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
> by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

"Astounding Science Fiction"

> 6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
> created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
> with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
> ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
> nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
> Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

Ellison

> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

Asimov
> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
> and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

Heinlein

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canada's Top 100 Athletes
>
> Information in this round is from the book, "Canada's Top 100: The
> Greatest Athletes of All Time", by Maggie Mooney, published in 2010.
> All statistics shown are from that period. We give a clue, you
> name the athlete. Spoiler: none of them is Gretzky, who was #1.
>
> 2. He's #6 on the list. He captured Olympic gold, running 100 m
> in 9.84 seconds. He """still holds""" the world record for 50 m.

Johnson

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<sgacfh$a64$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3233&group=rec.games.trivia#3233

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 02:49:35 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 09:49 UTC

On 8/26/21 9:37 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What was the most notable 100th anniversary marked in Belfast
> last week?

launching the Titanic

> 2. Which EU country will be legalizing divorce, the last to do so?

Ireland

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi
>
> 1. In the novel "The Forever War", the hero is sent to fight in an
> interstellar war. When he returns, many years have passed
> at home while it's only been a short time for him, and he
> goes on to command soldiers who speak a language largely
> unrecognizable to him and who are exclusively homosexual.
> Behind his back his troops refer to him as the "Old Queer"
> because of his now-deviant heterosexuality. Name the author.

Joe Haldeman

> 2. This author wrote in his "Eight Worlds" future history, written
> in the 1970s, of a future humanity able to change gender at will.
> He also featured lesbian protagonists in his Gaean trilogy --
> "Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". Name the author.

John Varley

> 3. In his most acclaimed novel, written in 1975, Samuel R. Delany
> creates characters with a wide variety of sexuality. The book
> also contains some of the first explicit scenes of gay sex in
> science fiction. A complex novel, it has often been compared
> to Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Name the novel.

Dhalgren

> 4. Ursula K. LeGuin explores a radically alternative form of
> sexuality in this 1969 novel. Her aliens usually are neither
> male nor female, but undergo a monthly cycle when they randomly
> become one or the other gender. Name the novel.

Left Hand of Darkness

> 5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
> covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
> creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
> though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
> male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
> Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
> by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

Astounding (later renamed Analog)

> 6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
> created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
> with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
> ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
> nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
> Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

Harlan Ellison

> 7. This author wrote 1953's "The Lovers", an early sci-fi short
> story featuring sex as a major theme. He also penned "Strange
> Relations", with a human-alien love affair. In his novel
> "Flesh", a hyper-masculine man with antlers impregnates legions
> of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
> Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
> strange world. Name him.

Philip Jose Farmer

> 8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
> homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
> Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
> a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
> his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
> "Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.

Theodore Sturgeon

> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

Isaac Asimov

> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
> and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

Robert Heinlein

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<XnsAD93D36841B8Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3234&group=rec.games.trivia#3234

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 20:46:55 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 27 Aug 2021 18:46 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
> 2. Which EU country will be legalizing divorce, the last to do so?

Malta
> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in
> Sci-Fi
>
> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

Isaac Asimov

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<93a767d8-ed89-4c1e-a8b4-b4a038f95763n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3235&group=rec.games.trivia#3235

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 17:41:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Sat, 28 Aug 2021 00:41 UTC

On Friday, August 27, 2021 at 12:37:31 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. What was the most notable 100th anniversary marked in Belfast
> last week?

northern ireland centennial

> 2. Which EU country will be legalizing divorce, the last to do so?

malta

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi
>
> 1. In the novel "The Forever War", the hero is sent to fight in an
> interstellar war. When he returns, many years have passed
> at home while it's only been a short time for him, and he
> goes on to command soldiers who speak a language largely
> unrecognizable to him and who are exclusively homosexual.
> Behind his back his troops refer to him as the "Old Queer"
> because of his now-deviant heterosexuality. Name the author.

joe haldeman

> 2. This author wrote in his "Eight Worlds" future history, written
> in the 1970s, of a future humanity able to change gender at will.
> He also featured lesbian protagonists in his Gaean trilogy --
> "Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". Name the author.

john varley

> 3. In his most acclaimed novel, written in 1975, Samuel R. Delany
> creates characters with a wide variety of sexuality. The book
> also contains some of the first explicit scenes of gay sex in
> science fiction. A complex novel, it has often been compared
> to Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Name the novel.

dhalgren

> 4. Ursula K. LeGuin explores a radically alternative form of
> sexuality in this 1969 novel. Her aliens usually are neither
> male nor female, but undergo a monthly cycle when they randomly
> become one or the other gender. Name the novel.

the left hand of darkness

> 5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
> covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
> creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
> though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
> male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
> Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
> by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

astounding stories

> 6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
> created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
> with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
> ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
> nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
> Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

harlan ellison

> 7. This author wrote 1953's "The Lovers", an early sci-fi short
> story featuring sex as a major theme. He also penned "Strange
> Relations", with a human-alien love affair. In his novel
> "Flesh", a hyper-masculine man with antlers impregnates legions
> of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
> Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
> strange world. Name him.

philip josé farmer

> 8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
> homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
> Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
> a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
> his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
> "Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.

theodore sturgeon

> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

sir isaac asimov

> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
> and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

robert heinlein

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canada's Top 100 Athletes
>
> Information in this round is from the book, "Canada's Top 100: The
> Greatest Athletes of All Time", by Maggie Mooney, published in 2010.
> All statistics shown are from that period. We give a clue, you
> name the athlete. Spoiler: none of them is Gretzky, who was #1.
>
> 1. #4 on the Top 100 list, she's the top female. She """has won"""
> 6 Olympic medals: one from Salt Lake City and five from Turin.
> She was the flag-bearer at the closing ceremonies in Turin.

klassen

> 2. He's #6 on the list. He captured Olympic gold, running 100 m
> in 9.84 seconds. He """still holds""" the world record for 50 m.

bailey

> 3. #14 on the list, this downhill skier's aggressive style earned
> her the nickname "Tiger". A """3-time""" Olympian, she captured
> Olympic gold in the giant slalom at Grenoble, France, by a
> margin of 2.68 seconds, one of the most decisive victories in
> Olympic history.

nancy greene

> 4. #18. Canada's """greatest""" triathlete. Olympic gold in
> Sidney, despite crashing his bike. Olympic silver in Beijing,
> in another amazing come-from-behind performance.

johnson

> 5. At #23, he is the top swimmer on the list. At the Los Angeles
> Olympics, he won the 200 m IM gold, and the 400 m gold the next
> day. Later he became a director of the "Own the Podium" program.

johnson

> 6. At #20 on the list, Canada's top female amateur golfer of all
> time dominated women's amateur golf in the 1950s and '60s, and
> """remains""" the only golfer to win the Canadian, US, British,
> and Australian amateur championships. In 2003, she became
> the *oldest* player to win the USGA senior championship title,
> at age 69.

johnson

> 7. He is #5 on the list. He did it all: he was a champion in
> wrestling, boxing, baseball, rugby, football, lacrosse,
> and hockey. Each year, Canada's male athlete of the year
> """receives""" an award named after this man. His nickname was
> "Big Train".

conacher

> 8. He is #51 on the list. This golfer, known as the "King of
> Swing" for his perfect technique, went pro in 1958 and played
> the professional circuit for 11 years, capturing 8 tournament
> victories and coming one stroke away from the 1969 Masters.

johnson

> 9. He is #24 on the list. He took silver in speed skating,
> behind Eric Heiden, in the 1980 Olympics. He came back from a
> shattered ankle to win gold in the 1000 m at Sarajevo in 1984,
> and laid the foundation for Canada's speed-skating empire.

johnson

> 10. This sprinter is #21 on the list. At the Amsterdam Olympics
> of 1928, he won double gold in the 100 m and 200 m events, the
> first non-American to do so. He won 21 of his next 22 races
> and set a world 100 m record of 10.3 seconds, before retiring
> in 1930.

williams

> --
> Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
> Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."
> m...@vex.net -- Lynn & Jay, "Yes, Prime Minister"
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<sgeisl$958$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3236&group=rec.games.trivia#3236

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:03:33 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 00:03 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi

> 1. In the novel "The Forever War", the hero is sent to fight in an
> interstellar war. When he returns, many years have passed
> at home while it's only been a short time for him, and he
> goes on to command soldiers who speak a language largely
> unrecognizable to him and who are exclusively homosexual.
> Behind his back his troops refer to him as the "Old Queer"
> because of his now-deviant heterosexuality. Name the author.

Joe Haldeman

> 2. This author wrote in his "Eight Worlds" future history, written
> in the 1970s, of a future humanity able to change gender at will.
> He also featured lesbian protagonists in his Gaean trilogy --
> "Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". Name the author.

John Varley

> 3. In his most acclaimed novel, written in 1975, Samuel R. Delany
> creates characters with a wide variety of sexuality. The book
> also contains some of the first explicit scenes of gay sex in
> science fiction. A complex novel, it has often been compared
> to Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Name the novel.

Dhalgren

> 4. Ursula K. LeGuin explores a radically alternative form of
> sexuality in this 1969 novel. Her aliens usually are neither
> male nor female, but undergo a monthly cycle when they randomly
> become one or the other gender. Name the novel.

The Left Hand of Darkness

> 5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
> covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
> creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
> though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
> male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
> Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
> by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

Astounding

> 6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
> created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
> with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
> ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
> nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
> Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

Harlan Ellison

> 7. This author wrote 1953's "The Lovers", an early sci-fi short
> story featuring sex as a major theme. He also penned "Strange
> Relations", with a human-alien love affair. In his novel
> "Flesh", a hyper-masculine man with antlers impregnates legions
> of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
> Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
> strange world. Name him.

Philip Jose Farmer

> 8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
> homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
> Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
> a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
> his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
> "Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.

Theodore Sturgeon

> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

Isaac Asimov

> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
> and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

Robert Heinlein

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<sggsdn$12ik$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3237&group=rec.games.trivia#3237

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 15:58:31 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:58 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]

> of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
> Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
> strange world. Name him.
>
> 8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
> homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
> Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
> a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
> his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
> "Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.
>
> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.
>
> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"

Arthur C. Clarke

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canada's Top 100 Athletes
>
> Information in this round is from the book, "Canada's Top 100: The
> Greatest Athletes of All Time", by Maggie Mooney, published in 2010.
> All statistics shown are from that period. We give a clue, you
> name the athlete. Spoiler: none of them is Gretzky, who was #1.
>
> 1. #4 on the Top 100 list, she's the top female. She """has won"""
> 6 Olympic medals: one from Salt Lake City and five from Turin.
> She was the flag-bearer at the closing ceremonies in Turin.

Catriona LeMay Doan

> 2. He's #6 on the list. He captured Olympic gold, running 100 m
> in 9.84 seconds. He """still holds""" the world record for 50 m.
>
> 3. #14 on the list, this downhill skier's aggressive style earned
> her the nickname "Tiger". A """3-time""" Olympian, she captured
> Olympic gold in the giant slalom at Grenoble, France, by a
> margin of 2.68 seconds, one of the most decisive victories in
> Olympic history.
>
> 4. #18. Canada's """greatest""" triathlete. Olympic gold in
> Sidney, despite crashing his bike. Olympic silver in Beijing,
> in another amazing come-from-behind performance.
>
> 5. At #23, he is the top swimmer on the list. At the Los Angeles
> Olympics, he won the 200 m IM gold, and the 400 m gold the next
> day. Later he became a director of the "Own the Podium" program.
>
> 6. At #20 on the list, Canada's top female amateur golfer of all
> time dominated women's amateur golf in the 1950s and '60s, and
> """remains""" the only golfer to win the Canadian, US, British,
> and Australian amateur championships. In 2003, she became
> the *oldest* player to win the USGA senior championship title,
> at age 69.
>
> 7. He is #5 on the list. He did it all: he was a champion in
> wrestling, boxing, baseball, rugby, football, lacrosse,
> and hockey. Each year, Canada's male athlete of the year
> """receives""" an award named after this man. His nickname was
> "Big Train".
>
> 8. He is #51 on the list. This golfer, known as the "King of
> Swing" for his perfect technique, went pro in 1958 and played
> the professional circuit for 11 years, capturing 8 tournament
> victories and coming one stroke away from the 1969 Masters.
>
> 9. He is #24 on the list. He took silver in speed skating,
> behind Eric Heiden, in the 1980 Olympics. He came back from a
> shattered ankle to win gold in the 1000 m at Sarajevo in 1984,
> and laid the foundation for Canada's speed-skating empire.
>
> 10. This sprinter is #21 on the list. At the Amsterdam Olympics
> of 1928, he won double gold in the 100 m and 200 m events, the
> first non-American to do so. He won 21 of his next 22 races
> and set a world 100 m record of 10.3 seconds, before retiring
> in 1930.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<6qWdnapF-8_vxLH8nZ2dnUU7-fXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3238&group=rec.games.trivia#3238

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 23:07:14 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 30 Aug 2021 04:07 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

One person sent in a set of answers by email. These were accepted.

> * Game 4, Round 1 -- Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. What was the most notable 100th anniversary marked in Belfast
> last week?

Launch of the Titanic. Dan Tilque got this.

> 2. Which EU country will be legalizing divorce, the last to do so?

Malta. Erland and Stephen got this.

> * Game 4, Round 2 - Literature - Sexy Science Fiction: Sexual Themes in Sci-Fi

This was the hardest round in the original game and the 3rd-hardest
in the entire season.

> 1. In the novel "The Forever War", the hero is sent to fight in an
> interstellar war. When he returns, many years have passed
> at home while it's only been a short time for him, and he
> goes on to command soldiers who speak a language largely
> unrecognizable to him and who are exclusively homosexual.
> Behind his back his troops refer to him as the "Old Queer"
> because of his now-deviant heterosexuality. Name the author.

Joe Haldeman. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum, and John.

> 2. This author wrote in his "Eight Worlds" future history, written
> in the 1970s, of a future humanity able to change gender at will.
> He also featured lesbian protagonists in his Gaean trilogy --
> "Titan", "Wizard" and "Demon". Name the author.

John Varley. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 3. In his most acclaimed novel, written in 1975, Samuel R. Delany
> creates characters with a wide variety of sexuality. The book
> also contains some of the first explicit scenes of gay sex in
> science fiction. A complex novel, it has often been compared
> to Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow". Name the novel.

"Dhalgren". 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Ursula K. LeGuin explores a radically alternative form of
> sexuality in this 1969 novel. Her aliens usually are neither
> male nor female, but undergo a monthly cycle when they randomly
> become one or the other gender. Name the novel.

"The Left Hand of Darkness". 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 5. Pulp sci-fi's golden age was the 1930s and '40s, when magazine
> covers frequently featured scantily clad women fighting off
> creepy aliens with curiously suggestive tentacles. Editors,
> though, felt they had to protect their largely adolescent
> male readers from any mention of sex inside the magazines.
> Name the leading science fiction magazine of the era, started
> by Harry Bates and later edited by John W. Campbell.

"Astounding Stories" or "Astounding Science Fiction" ("Astounding"
was sufficient, but since the question referred to a specific era,
its current title "Analog" was not acceptable). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum, and John.

> 6. In "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream", this controversial author
> created a post-apocalyptic world run by a computer which toys
> with the 5 remaining humans. The computer changes one into an
> ape with massive sexual organs and turns a virgin woman into a
> nymphomaniac. This author's prodigious output also includes the
> Hugo-winning "A Boy and His Dog" and "Jeffty is Five". Name him.

Harlan Ellison. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 7. This author wrote 1953's "The Lovers", an early sci-fi short
> story featuring sex as a major theme. He also penned "Strange
> Relations", with a human-alien love affair. In his novel
> "Flesh", a hyper-masculine man with antlers impregnates legions
> of virgins to counter declining male virility. In "To Your
> Scattered Bodies Go", all his characters awake naked on a
> strange world. Name him.

Philip José Farmer. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum, and John.

> 8. Writing largely in the 1940s and '50s, this author featured
> homosexual aliens in "The World Well Lost". In "Venus
> Plus X", his protagonist wakes in a future where everyone is
> a hermaphrodite. The same author also explored sexuality in
> his novel "The Synthetic Man", and Vulcan mating rituals in the
> "Star Trek" episode "Amok Time". Name him.

Theodore Sturgeon. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum, and John.

> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> prolific writer.

Issac Asimov. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and John.
3 for Stephen.

> 10. This writer, known as the "dean of science fiction", was a
> proponent of homosexuality, casual sex, group marriage, and
> public nudity in his books such as "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress"
> and "Time Enough for Love". Name him.

Robert A. Heinlein. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Dan Blum,
and John.

> * Game 4, Round 3 - Canadiana Sports - Canada's Top 100 Athletes

> Information in this round is from the book, "Canada's Top 100: The
> Greatest Athletes of All Time", by Maggie Mooney, published in 2010.
> All statistics shown are from that period. We give a clue, you
> name the athlete. Spoiler: none of them is Gretzky, who was #1.

> 1. #4 on the Top 100 list, she's the top female. She """has won"""
> 6 Olympic medals: one from Salt Lake City and five from Turin.
> She was the flag-bearer at the closing ceremonies in Turin.

Cindy Klassen. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. He's #6 on the list. He captured Olympic gold, running 100 m
> in 9.84 seconds. He """still holds""" the world record for 50 m.

Donovan Bailey. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. #14 on the list, this downhill skier's aggressive style earned
> her the nickname "Tiger". A """3-time""" Olympian, she captured
> Olympic gold in the giant slalom at Grenoble, France, by a
> margin of 2.68 seconds, one of the most decisive victories in
> Olympic history.

Nancy Greene Raine (either surname was sufficient). 4 for Stephen.

> 4. #18. Canada's """greatest""" triathlete. Olympic gold in
> Sidney, despite crashing his bike. Olympic silver in Beijing,
> in another amazing come-from-behind performance.

Simon Whitfield.

> 5. At #23, he is the top swimmer on the list. At the Los Angeles
> Olympics, he won the 200 m IM gold, and the 400 m gold the next
> day. Later he became a director of the "Own the Podium" program.

Alex Baumann.

> 6. At #20 on the list, Canada's top female amateur golfer of all
> time dominated women's amateur golf in the 1950s and '60s, and
> """remains""" the only golfer to win the Canadian, US, British,
> and Australian amateur championships. In 2003, she became
> the *oldest* player to win the USGA senior championship title,
> at age 69.

Marlene Stewart Streit (either surname was sufficient).

> 7. He is #5 on the list. He did it all: he was a champion in
> wrestling, boxing, baseball, rugby, football, lacrosse,
> and hockey. Each year, Canada's male athlete of the year
> """receives""" an award named after this man. His nickname was
> "Big Train".

Lionel Conacher. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. He is #51 on the list. This golfer, known as the "King of
> Swing" for his perfect technique, went pro in 1958 and played
> the professional circuit for 11 years, capturing 8 tournament
> victories and coming one stroke away from the 1969 Masters.

George Knudson.

> 9. He is #24 on the list. He took silver in speed skating,
> behind Eric Heiden, in the 1980 Olympics. He came back from a
> shattered ankle to win gold in the 1000 m at Sarajevo in 1984,
> and laid the foundation for Canada's speed-skating empire.

Gaétan Boucher.

> 10. This sprinter is #21 on the list. At the Amsterdam Olympics
> of 1928, he won double gold in the 100 m and 200 m events, the
> first non-American to do so. He won 21 of his next 22 races
> and set a world 100 m record of 10.3 seconds, before retiring
> in 1930.

Percy Williams. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Spo
Stephen Perry 39 20 59
Dan Blum 40 0 40
Dan Tilque 40 0 40
John Gerson 24 0 24
Joshua Kreitzer 16 0 16
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 4
Pete Gayde 4 0 4

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<edc4a407-70be-4ff7-b5a4-546d22f9f05bn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3244&group=rec.games.trivia#3244

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2021 19:10:54 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 02:10 UTC

On Monday, August 30, 2021 at 12:07:20 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> > 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
> > All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
> > prolific writer.
> Issac Asimov. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and John.
> 3 for Stephen.
>
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
> m...@vex.net -- The Prisoner
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

I miss Isaac so much that I called him Sir, but at least I spelled Isaac correctly. I miss Harlan too.

swp

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 2-3 answers: sexy SF, CanAthletes

<FrednYLjpOdqV7D8nZ2dnUU7-fvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3246&group=rec.games.trivia#3246

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2021 01:23:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 31 Aug 2021 06:23 UTC

Mark Brader:
>>> 9. In 1972's "The Gods Themselves", his aliens have three sexes.
>>> All three must participate for conception to occur. Name this
>>> prolific writer.

>> Issac Asimov...

Stephen Perry:
> I miss Isaac so much that I called him Sir, but at least I spelled Isaac
> correctly.

Urk, sorry about that. I don't have access to the original game files
from 2011 to check whether it was the Mods' error then, or mine when
I first posted the round in 2012, but obviously I should have noticed
it -- both times.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Typos are a journalistic tradition of long
msb@vex.net | etaoin shrdlu. -- Truly Donovan