"Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin." -- Michael O'Donohugh

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: fire and Irish bulls

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsswp
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bullsJoshua Kreitzer
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: fire and Irish bullsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<iuWdnfQ7sMZU0q38nZ2dnUU7-KfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3249&group=rec.games.trivia#3249

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2021 23:15:05 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 04:15 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!

The following questions are about fire and burns.

1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
was given to this material?

2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?

3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
temperatures as high as 2,000°C results in a hotter-burning
substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
this fuel that's made from coal?

4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
By what name is this practice commonly known?

5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
Dresden firebombings, this type of fire is known as what?

6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

7. Burns to the skin may be caused by heat or fire, but also by
different sorts of chemicals. Any such chemical is referred
to as a "corrosive" chemical. Among the corrosive chemicals,
there are some chemicals which are described as "caustic".
What property do the caustic chemicals possess?

8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
hydroxide better known?

9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
as heat. What is this substance?

10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.

After completing round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
nafjrerq "fbqn" ba nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
fcrpvsvp.

* Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls

Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.

Note: We want a *single word* in each case, not a phrase. But not
only will we accept synonyms, if you have an alternative answers
that would also make an Irish bull, we will accept that.

Example: Sam Goldwyn said, "A (blank) contract isn't worth the
paper it's written on." Answer: verbal or oral.

1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
(blank)?"

2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
Note: "plump" here means "head on".

4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
there anymore. It's too (blank)."

6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
they won't come to yours."

7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
to your height."

8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Rarely is the question asked:
msb@vex.net | 'Is our children learning?'" --George W. Bush

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<sgpr66$vpf$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3250&group=rec.games.trivia#3250

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2021 23:32:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 06:32 UTC

On 9/1/21 9:15 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!
>
> The following questions are about fire and burns.
>
> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

phlogiston

> 2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
> the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
> even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
> organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
> words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?

pyrolysis

> 3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
> burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
> temperatures as high as 2,000°C results in a hotter-burning
> substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
> this fuel that's made from coal?

coke

> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?

slash-and-burn

> 5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
> extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
> such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
> Dresden firebombings, this type of fire is known as what?

fire storm

> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

Fahrenheit 451

> 7. Burns to the skin may be caused by heat or fire, but also by
> different sorts of chemicals. Any such chemical is referred
> to as a "corrosive" chemical. Among the corrosive chemicals,
> there are some chemicals which are described as "caustic".
> What property do the caustic chemicals possess?
>
> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

lye

> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?

melanin

> 10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
> and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
> ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.

lidocaine

> After completing round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> nafjrerq "fbqn" ba nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls
>
> Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
> bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
> Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
> get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
> following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
> of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.
>
> Note: We want a *single word* in each case, not a phrase. But not
> only will we accept synonyms, if you have an alternative answers
> that would also make an Irish bull, we will accept that.
>
> Example: Sam Goldwyn said, "A (blank) contract isn't worth the
> paper it's written on." Answer: verbal or oral.
>
> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

leader

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

avoid

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

shoot

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

crowded

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

funerals

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

alphabetical

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

sincere

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

cheat

> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

listen

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<XnsAD99D13DFA39DYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3251&group=rec.games.trivia#3251

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 2021 20:34:09 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 2 Sep 2021 18:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!
>
> The following questions are about fire and burns.
>
> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

Flogiston
> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

451°F
> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

Caustic soda
> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls
>
> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

silence
> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

Crowded
> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

Random
> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

Honest

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<ccb65364-4d99-4981-84ef-663927f803a8n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3252&group=rec.games.trivia#3252

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2021 18:26:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 01:26 UTC

On Thursday, September 2, 2021 at 12:15:11 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!
>
> The following questions are about fire and burns.
>
> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

phlogiston

> 2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
> the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
> even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
> organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
> words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?

pyrolysis

> 3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
> burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
> temperatures as high as 2,000°C results in a hotter-burning
> substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
> this fuel that's made from coal?

coke

> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?

fire-fallow cultivation ; slash and burn

> 5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
> extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
> such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
> Dresden fire bombings, this type of fire is known as what?

firestorm

> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

451

> 7. Burns to the skin may be caused by heat or fire, but also by
> different sorts of chemicals. Any such chemical is referred
> to as a "corrosive" chemical. Among the corrosive chemicals,
> there are some chemicals which are described as "caustic".
> What property do the caustic chemicals possess?

they are alkaline

> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

lye

> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?

melanin

> 10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
> and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
> ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.

lidocaine ; benzocaine

> After completing round, please decode the rot13: If you just
> answered "soda" on any question, please go back and be more
> specific.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls
>
> Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
> bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
> Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
> get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
> following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
> of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.
>
> Note: We want a *single word* in each case, not a phrase. But not
> only will we accept synonyms, if you have an alternative answers
> that would also make an Irish bull, we will accept that.
>
> Example: Sam Goldwyn said, "A (blank) contract isn't worth the
> paper it's written on." Answer: verbal or oral.
>
> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

leader

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

avoid

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

silence

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

crowded

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

funerals

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

alphabetical

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

honest

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

overpaying

> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

interrupting

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto | "Rarely is the question asked:
> m...@vex.net | 'Is our children learning?'" --George W. Bush
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<sgu378$qua$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3253&group=rec.games.trivia#3253

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 16:14:16 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:14 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!
>
> The following questions are about fire and burns.
>
> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?
>
> 2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
> the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
> even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
> organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
> words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?
>
> 3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
> burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
> temperatures as high as 2,000°C results in a hotter-burning
> substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
> this fuel that's made from coal?
>
> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?
>
> 5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
> extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
> such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
> Dresden firebombings, this type of fire is known as what?
>
> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?
>
> 7. Burns to the skin may be caused by heat or fire, but also by
> different sorts of chemicals. Any such chemical is referred
> to as a "corrosive" chemical. Among the corrosive chemicals,
> there are some chemicals which are described as "caustic".
> What property do the caustic chemicals possess?
>
> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

Lye

> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?
>
> 10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
> and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
> ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.
>
> After completing round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> nafjrerq "fbqn" ba nal dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls
>
> Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
> bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
> Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
> get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
> following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
> of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.
>
> Note: We want a *single word* in each case, not a phrase. But not
> only will we accept synonyms, if you have an alternative answers
> that would also make an Irish bull, we will accept that.
>
> Example: Sam Goldwyn said, "A (blank) contract isn't worth the
> paper it's written on." Answer: verbal or oral.
>
> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

leader

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

duck

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

silence

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

popular

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

Funeral

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

quick

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

sincere

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."
>
> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

Speak

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<sgus9d$q9s$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3254&group=rec.games.trivia#3254

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 04:22:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 04:22 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!

> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

phlogiston

> 2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
> the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
> even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
> organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
> words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?

pyroclasm

> 3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
> burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
> temperatures as high as 2,000?C results in a hotter-burning
> substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
> this fuel that's made from coal?

coke

> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?

slash and burn

> 5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
> extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
> such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
> Dresden firebombings, this type of fire is known as what?

firestorm

> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

451 degrees F

> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

lye

> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?

melanin

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls

> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

leader

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

avoid

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

censor

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

crowded

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

funerals

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

randomly

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

sincere

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

overpay

> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

listen

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8: fire and Irish bulls

<86d52cad-3e1e-43cb-95be-a4c0d5725afan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3255&group=rec.games.trivia#3255

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2021 21:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 4 Sep 2021 04:52 UTC

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021 at 11:15:11 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!
>
> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

phlogiston

> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?

slash and burn
> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

451 degrees Fahrenheit
> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

lye
> 10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
> and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
> ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.

aloe vera
> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls
>
> Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
> bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
> Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
> get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
> following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
> of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.
>
> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

leader

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

confront

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

censor

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

crowded

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

funerals

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

alphabetically

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

sincere

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

overpaying

> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

listening

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: fire and Irish bulls

<9bydnWwj04ok3Kn8nZ2dnUU7-SnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3256&group=rec.games.trivia#3256

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 4, Rounds 7-8 answers: fire and Irish bulls
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 23:04:09 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 5 Sep 2021 04:04 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 7 - Science - It Burns!

> The following questions are about fire and burns.

> 1. During much of the 1700s, many chemists, such as Joseph
> Priestley, believed that all combustible substances contained
> a special material that was liberated by burning. What name
> was given to this material?

Phlogiston ["flow-JISS-ton"]. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Blum, and Joshua.

The disproof of this theory involved the discovery of oxygen,
nitrogen, and CO2.

> 2. Generally, you need oxygen to burn something. However, if
> the temperature is high enough, some substances can "burn"
> even in the absence of oxygen. This chemical decomposition of
> organic material is known by what name, derived from the Greek
> words for "fire" and "separate" or "break down"?

Pyrolysis. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen.

> 3. Through <answer 2>, wood can be turned into charcoal, which
> burns hotter than wood. Likewise, the <answer 2> of coal at
> temperatures as high as 2,000°C results in a hotter-burning
> substance that is critical to the production of steel. What is
> this fuel that's made from coal?

Coke. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

Coke was also critical to the early history of the London Underground
system. When the Metropolitan Railway, the first of the companies
that collectively became the Underground, applied to Parliament
for authorization to build its route in a tunnel through central
London, and declared their intention to operate frequent trains,
there was much concern about the smoke and steam that the locomotives
would emit. The company dismissed this by promising to use steam
locomotives that would operate firelessly in the tunnels -- but when
they tried to actually design one, it proved to be totally unusable.

So, doing their best to keep to the spirit of their promise, they
instead opted for condensing steam locomotives, which directed the
exhaust steam into cold-water tanks when in the tunnels so at least
it would not be released there. And because it burns smokelessly,
the fuel they used was coke rather than coal. (Of course they still
produced carbon dioxide and other combustion products.)

That is, the locomotives burned coke *for the first 6 years (1863-69)*.
At that point the company took a hard look at how much the supply
of coke was *costing* them, and switched to burning coal after all.

And at some point after that, one of their drivers commented that
it wasn't too bad -- *only rarely* was the smoke in the tunnel so
thick that he couldn't see the signals.

But that still wasn't all. Once what is now called the Circle Line
was completed in 1884, the trains were scheduled to make several
successive trips around it without a break, with the result that the
locomotive could no longer condense its steam -- after a few trips
the cold-water tanks were no longer cold. So once that happened,
they began releasing steam into the tunnels as well.

Practical electric trains became available in the 1890s and in 1905
the steam locomotives were removed from use.

See:
http://blog.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2019/10/Baker-Street-Station.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4FlifyZe-Bo/T4NYTrwtEbI/AAAAAAAAAug/eFsIlSOvdo0/s1600/Met+Railway+DL.jpg

> 4. Fire is often used in subsistence agriculture. Typically a
> forest is logged and the remains are allowed to dry, then set
> ablaze during the dry season. The resulting ash fertilizes the
> soil, which is then planted at the beginning of the rainy season.
> By what name is this practice commonly known?

Slash-and-burn, assarting, fire-fallow cultivation, or swiddening;
also accepting burn-beating as close enough. 4 for Dan Tilque,
Stephen (the hard way), Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 5. When a fire grows so large that it draws oxygen into it at
> extremely high speeds, generating strong winds at its base,
> such as during the Hiroshima atomic bombing and the Hamburg or
> Dresden firebombings, this type of fire is known as what?

A firestorm. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 6. The auto-ignition temperature or kindling point of a substance
> is the lowest temperature at which it will spontaneously ignite
> in a normal atmosphere without any external flame or spark.
> For paper, there is considerable variation, but one temperature
> was made famous by a work of science fiction. What is that?

451°F or 233°C. (From Ray Bradbury's book and the movie adaptation,
"Fahrenheit 451".) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.
No points if the unit was not stated.

> 7. Burns to the skin may be caused by heat or fire, but also by
> different sorts of chemicals. Any such chemical is referred
> to as a "corrosive" chemical. Among the corrosive chemicals,
> there are some chemicals which are described as "caustic".
> What property do the caustic chemicals possess?

They are strong bases or alkaline chemicals. (That is, they have
a high pH.) 4 for Stephen.

> 8. In the movie "Fight Club", the central character suffers a
> chemical burn to his hand. His hand is first licked to wet it,
> and then a solution of sodium hydroxide (used in soap-making)
> is poured on it, inducing much agony. By what name is sodium
> hydroxide better known?

Lye (or caustic soda, with both words required). 4 for everyone --
Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen, Pete, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 9. Other burns to the skin can be caused by radiation, especially
> from the sun. While sunburn can cause DNA damage to the skin,
> it also induces the production of a photoprotectant substance,
> which is capable of dissipating 99.9% of absorbed UV radiation
> as heat. What is this substance?

Melanin. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 10. After receiving a sunburn, many of us grab Solarcaine (TM)
> and spray it on, or apply it in lotion form. Name the active
> ingredient in Solarcaine, which deadens nerve endings.

Benzocaine in the spray, or lidocaine (aka xylocaine or lignocaine)
in the lotion. 4 for Dan Tilque and Stephen (the hard way).

> * Game 4, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Irish Bulls

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> Why incongruous or nonsensical statements should be called Irish
> bulls is not known, but those worthy of the name make you think.
> Hence the expression, "An Irish bull is always pregnant." Now you
> get a chance to supply the missing word that makes each of the
> following quotations nonsensical. Sometimes the authors are aware
> of the self-contradiction, sometimes not.

> Note: We want a *single word* in each case, not a phrase. But not
> only will we accept synonyms, if you have an alternative answers
> that would also make an Irish bull, we will accept that.

Alternative answers that were accepted for these reasons on protest
in the original game, or that I similarly decided to accept this
time or in 2012, are shown in square brackets.

> Example: Sam Goldwyn said, "A (blank) contract isn't worth the
> paper it's written on." Answer: verbal or oral.

> 1. Benjamin Disraeli: "I must follow the people; am I not their
> (blank)?"

Leader. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Pete, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Anonymous: "Thank (blank) I'm an atheist."

God. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Sir Boyle Roche (politician and alleged father of the Irish
> Bull): "The best way to (blank) danger is to meet it plump."
> Note: "plump" here means "head on".

Avoid. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, and Dan Blum.

> 4. Attributed to Sir Boyle Roche: "We should (blank) anyone
> who opposes the right to freedom of speech."

Silence [censor, shoot, strangle]. 4 for everyone.

> 5. Yogi Berra, referring to a New York nightclub: "Nobody goes
> there anymore. It's too (blank)."

Crowded [popular]. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Yogi Berra: "Always go to other people's (blank)s; otherwise
> they won't come to yours."

Funerals. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Pete, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 7. Casey Stengel: "All right everyone, line up (blank)ly according
> to your height."

Alphabetically [randomly]. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Stephen,
Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 8. Irene Peter: "Always be (blank), even when you don't mean it."

Sincere [honest]. 4 for everyone.

> 9. Sam Goldwyn: "We're (blank)ing him, but he's worth it."

Overpaying. 4 for Stephen, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 10. Sam Goldwyn: "Don't talk to me while I'm (blank)ing."

Click here to read the complete article