If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it. -- Calvin Coolidge

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: name changes, sports retirements

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsgerson
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirementsDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: name changes, sports retirementsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<A46dnWmbJMKnoaX8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3265&group=rec.games.trivia#3265

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2021 23:29:46 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 04:29 UTC

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?

2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
underwear last week?

* Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change

The following countries achieved independence and changed their
names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.

1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.
2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.
3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.
4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.
5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.
6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.
7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.
8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
until 1984 to change its name. To what?

10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
from France in 1977.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers

1. Some guys just can't give up the uniform. This NFL quarterback
retired in 2008, but returned the same season and was traded.
He played out the season and then retired. Returning again
the following season, he finished his career with Minnesota,
"""finally""" retiring (for """now""", anyway) in 2011.
His final pass attempt was intercepted. Name him.

2. Name this great soccer player who briefly retired in 2005,
returning to play for his country in the 2006 World Cup.
He likely """wishes""" he hadn't, as during the final he
head-butted an opponent and was thrown out of the match.
His team lost.

3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

5. Wayne Gretzky played 19 seasons, mostly with the Oilers
and the Kings, while breaking just about every scoring record.
He retired after the 1998-99 season, in which he scored just
9 goals. For which team did he play that final season?

6. This outfielder's last year was 1972, after 18 seasons with the
Pittsburgh Pirates. He hit a double in his very last
regular-season at-bat to record an even 3,000 hits for his
career. He died in an accident in the off-season. Name him.

7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
seasons with which other NBA team?

8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
player/owner.

9. Len Bias died of heart failure due to cocaine, 48 hours after
being drafted into the NBA. Reggie Lewis died of heart failure
due to an undiagnosed heart condition several seasons after
joining the same NBA team. Which team?

10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
"Arj Lbex" nf gur nafjre ba nal dhrfgvba, vg'f abg fcrpvsvp rabhtu
-- tb onpx naq svyy va gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp grnz.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is a film of non-stop action
msb@vex.net | and non-start intelligence." --Mark Leeper

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<shb0gj$5ec$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3266&group=rec.games.trivia#3266

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:47:47 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:47 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
> underwear last week?

Anthony Weiner

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change

> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zimbabwe; Zambia

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Suriname

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Tonga; Fiji

> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Mexico; Gran Colombia

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers

> 3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
> professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
> aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
> football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
> league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

Bo Jackson

> 4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
> his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
> a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

Ted Williams

> 7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
> hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
> He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
> seasons with which other NBA team?

Washington Wizards

> 10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
> He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
> when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
> he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
> this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

bet on games that he was playing in

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<XnsAD9FDC06CBE7Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3267&group=rec.games.trivia#3267

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 21:37:46 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 8 Sep 2021 19:37 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
> side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
> a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?

Belarus
> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change
>
> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zambia

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Surinam

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangla Desh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Kiribati; Vanuatu

> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Mexico
> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso
> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti
> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers
>
> 2. Name this great soccer player who briefly retired in 2005,
> returning to play for his country in the 2006 World Cup.
> He likely """wishes""" he hadn't, as during the final he
> head-butted an opponent and was thrown out of the match.
> His team lost.

Zidane
> 5. Wayne Gretzky played 19 seasons, mostly with the Oilers
> and the Kings, while breaking just about every scoring record.
> He retired after the 1998-99 season, in which he scored just
> 9 goals. For which team did he play that final season?

San Jose Sharks
> 8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
> 3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
> of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
> player/owner.

Lemieux

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<5dd812be-bbec-47b8-ab84-2cdf1bda95f4n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3268&group=rec.games.trivia#3268

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 18:58:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 01:58 UTC

On Tuesday, September 7, 2021 at 11:29:52 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change
>
> The following countries achieved independence and changed their
> names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
> you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
> the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.
>
> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zambia

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Suriname

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Vanuatu

> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Mexico

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers
>
> 1. Some guys just can't give up the uniform. This NFL quarterback
> retired in 2008, but returned the same season and was traded.
> He played out the season and then retired. Returning again
> the following season, he finished his career with Minnesota,
> """finally""" retiring (for """now""", anyway) in 2011.
> His final pass attempt was intercepted. Name him.

Favre

> 3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
> professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
> aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
> football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
> league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

Jackson
> 4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
> his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
> a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

Williams

> 6. This outfielder's last year was 1972, after 18 seasons with the
> Pittsburgh Pirates. He hit a double in his very last
> regular-season at-bat to record an even 3,000 hits for his
> career. He died in an accident in the off-season. Name him.

Clemente
> 7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
> hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
> He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
> seasons with which other NBA team?

Washington Wizards

> 8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
> 3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
> of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
> player/owner.

Lemieux

> 9. Len Bias died of heart failure due to cocaine, 48 hours after
> being drafted into the NBA. Reggie Lewis died of heart failure
> due to an undiagnosed heart condition several seasons after
> joining the same NBA team. Which team?

Boston Celtics

> 10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
> He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
> when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
> he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
> this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

betting on baseball games

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<shbva5$1uhs$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3269&group=rec.games.trivia#3269

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2021 22:33:26 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 03:33 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
>> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
>> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
>> correct answers in about 3 days.
>>
>> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
>> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
>> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
> side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
> a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?
>
> 2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
> underwear last week?
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change
>
> The following countries achieved independence and changed their
> names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
> you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
> the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.
>
> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zimbabwe

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Suriname

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Curacao

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.
> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Dominican Republic

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti; Eritrea

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers
>
> 1. Some guys just can't give up the uniform. This NFL quarterback
> retired in 2008, but returned the same season and was traded.
> He played out the season and then retired. Returning again
> the following season, he finished his career with Minnesota,
> """finally""" retiring (for """now""", anyway) in 2011.
> His final pass attempt was intercepted. Name him.

Favre

> 2. Name this great soccer player who briefly retired in 2005,
> returning to play for his country in the 2006 World Cup.
> He likely """wishes""" he hadn't, as during the final he
> head-butted an opponent and was thrown out of the match.
> His team lost.

Zidane

> 3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
> professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
> aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
> football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
> league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

Bo Jackson

> 4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
> his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
> a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

Ted Williams

> 5. Wayne Gretzky played 19 seasons, mostly with the Oilers
> and the Kings, while breaking just about every scoring record.
> He retired after the 1998-99 season, in which he scored just
> 9 goals. For which team did he play that final season?

Rangers; Oilers

> 6. This outfielder's last year was 1972, after 18 seasons with the
> Pittsburgh Pirates. He hit a double in his very last
> regular-season at-bat to record an even 3,000 hits for his
> career. He died in an accident in the off-season. Name him.

Roberto Clemente

> 7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
> hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
> He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
> seasons with which other NBA team?

Washington

> 8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
> 3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
> of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
> player/owner.

Mario Lemieux

> 9. Len Bias died of heart failure due to cocaine, 48 hours after
> being drafted into the NBA. Reggie Lewis died of heart failure
> due to an undiagnosed heart condition several seasons after
> joining the same NBA team. Which team?

Boston Celtics

> 10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
> He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
> when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
> he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
> this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

Bet on the team he managed, the Cincinnati Reds.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Arj Lbex" nf gur nafjre ba nal dhrfgvba, vg'f abg fcrpvsvp rabhtu
> -- tb onpx naq svyy va gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp grnz.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<5budnd4JFrdLTaT8nZ2dnUU78LnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3270&group=rec.games.trivia#3270

From: ger...@bigpond.net.au (gerson)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:16:00 +1000
 by: gerson - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 09:16 UTC

"Mark Brader" wrote in message news:A46dnWmbJMKnoaX8nZ2dnUU7-XfNnZ2d@giganews.com...

> > These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
> > and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> > by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> > and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> > correct answers in about 3 days.
> >
> > For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> > that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> > on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
> side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
> a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?
>
> 2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
> underwear last week?
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change
>
> The following countries achieved independence and changed their
> names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
> you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
> the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.
>
> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Costa Rica

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zambia

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Guyana

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Vanuatu
> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Haiti

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Eritrea

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: name changes, sports retirements

<shdnth$d3d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3271&group=rec.games.trivia#3271

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2021 12:39:28 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 9 Sep 2021 19:39 UTC

On 9/7/21 9:29 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
> side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
> a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?
>
> 2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
> underwear last week?
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change
>
> The following countries achieved independence and changed their
> names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
> you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
> the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.
>
> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zambia

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Guyana

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Vanuatu

> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Mexico

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers
>
> 1. Some guys just can't give up the uniform. This NFL quarterback
> retired in 2008, but returned the same season and was traded.
> He played out the season and then retired. Returning again
> the following season, he finished his career with Minnesota,
> """finally""" retiring (for """now""", anyway) in 2011.
> His final pass attempt was intercepted. Name him.

Bret Favre

> 2. Name this great soccer player who briefly retired in 2005,
> returning to play for his country in the 2006 World Cup.
> He likely """wishes""" he hadn't, as during the final he
> head-butted an opponent and was thrown out of the match.
> His team lost.

Zidane

> 3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
> professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
> aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
> football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
> league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

Bo Jackson

> 4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
> his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
> a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

Mays

> 5. Wayne Gretzky played 19 seasons, mostly with the Oilers
> and the Kings, while breaking just about every scoring record.
> He retired after the 1998-99 season, in which he scored just
> 9 goals. For which team did he play that final season?
>
> 6. This outfielder's last year was 1972, after 18 seasons with the
> Pittsburgh Pirates. He hit a double in his very last
> regular-season at-bat to record an even 3,000 hits for his
> career. He died in an accident in the off-season. Name him.

Clemente

> 7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
> hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
> He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
> seasons with which other NBA team?
>
> 8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
> 3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
> of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
> player/owner.
>
> 9. Len Bias died of heart failure due to cocaine, 48 hours after
> being drafted into the NBA. Reggie Lewis died of heart failure
> due to an undiagnosed heart condition several seasons after
> joining the same NBA team. Which team?
>
> 10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
> He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
> when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
> he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
> this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

betting on games he played in/managed

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh tnir
> "Arj Lbex" nf gur nafjre ba nal dhrfgvba, vg'f abg fcrpvsvp rabhtu
> -- tb onpx naq svyy va gur anzr bs gur fcrpvsvp grnz.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: name changes, sports retirements

<7_ydnQ0tVfCzkKD8nZ2dnUU7-cfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3272&group=rec.games.trivia#3272

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 2-3 answers: name changes, sports retirements
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2021 15:10:22 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 11 Sep 2021 20:10 UTC

Mark Brader:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
>> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
>> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. At the French Open, the interesting news was on the women's
> side: the winner is the first person from her country to win
> a Grand Slam Tournament. What country is that?

China. (Li Na.)

> 2. What New York Congressman tweeted pictures of himself in his
> underwear last week?

Anthony Weiner. (Not Wiener, but spelling doesn't count in these
quizzes.) Dan Blum got this.

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Geography - Name Change

> The following countries achieved independence and changed their
> names (at or about the same time, except as indicated). We give
> you the former name, the country they became independent from, and
> the date of independence; you give the current name of the country.

> 1. British Honduras, from the UK, 1973.

Belize ["Buh-LEEZ"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. South West Africa, from South Africa, 1990.

Namibia. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Pete, John,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Northern Rhodesia, from the UK, 1964.

Zambia. 4 for Erland, Joshua, John, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 4. Dutch Guiana, from the Netherlands, 1975.

Suriname. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

Guyana is the former *British* Guiana.

> 5. East Pakistan, from Pakistan, 1971.

Bangladesh. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Netherlands East Indies, from the Netherlands, 1945.

Indonesia. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, John, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. New Hebrides, from the UK and France, 1980.

Vanuatu. 4 for Joshua, John, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Erland.

> 8. The largest part of New Spain, from Spain, 1821.

Mexico. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 9. Upper Volta became independent from France in 1958, but waited
> until 1984 to change its name. To what?

Burkina Faso. 4 for everyone.

> 10. It was French Somaliland from 1894 to 1967, and then the French
> Territory of Afars and Issas, until it achieved independence
> from France in 1977.

Djibouti ["Ji-BOOT-ee"]. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Sports - Memorable Ends to Great Sporting Careers

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after the
Current Events round.

> 1. Some guys just can't give up the uniform. This NFL quarterback
> retired in 2008, but returned the same season and was traded.
> He played out the season and then retired. Returning again
> the following season, he finished his career with Minnesota,
> """finally""" retiring (for """now""", anyway) in 2011.
> His final pass attempt was intercepted. Name him.

Brett Favre [rhymes with "carve"]. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua,
Pete, and Dan Tilque.

His *first* pass attempt in the NFL, back in 1991, was also
intercepted. Symmetry!

> 2. Name this great soccer player who briefly retired in 2005,
> returning to play for his country in the 2006 World Cup.
> He likely """wishes""" he hadn't, as during the final he
> head-butted an opponent and was thrown out of the match.
> His team lost.

Zinedine Zidane. (Still alive.) 4 for Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. This 3-sport college star played both football and baseball
> professionally. While playing for the NFL's Oakland Raiders, he
> aggravated a hip condition in a 1990 playoff game. This ended his
> football career, but despite ongoing hip problems, he played major
> league baseball for a further 3 years, retiring in 1994. Name him.

Bo Jackson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

His third sport was track.

> 4. This Major League outfielder retired in 1960, hitting .360 in
> his final season. Perhaps the best hitter of all time, he hit
> a home run at Fenway Park in his final career at-bat. Name him.

Ted Williams. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Wayne Gretzky played 19 seasons, mostly with the Oilers
> and the Kings, while breaking just about every scoring record.
> He retired after the 1998-99 season, in which he scored just
> 9 goals. For which team did he play that final season?

New York Rangers. "Rangers" was required. 3 for Pete.

> 6. This outfielder's last year was 1972, after 18 seasons with the
> Pittsburgh Pirates. He hit a double in his very last
> regular-season at-bat to record an even 3,000 hits for his
> career. He died in an accident in the off-season. Name him.

Roberto Clemente. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Michael Jordan retired from the Chicago Bulls in 1998 after
> hitting the winning shot in the NBA finals (of course).
> He made a comeback for two more decent, but not spectacular,
> seasons with which other NBA team?

Washington Wizards. Either word was sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. This hockey star retired in 1997 due to cancer, but came back
> 3 years later. He retired for the final time in the middle
> of the 2005-06 season, becoming owner of his team. Name this
> player/owner.

Mario Lemieux. 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. Len Bias died of heart failure due to cocaine, 48 hours after
> being drafted into the NBA. Reggie Lewis died of heart failure
> due to an undiagnosed heart condition several seasons after
> joining the same NBA team. Which team?

Boston Celtics. Either word was sufficient. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 10. Pete Rose was one of the best hitters in MLB history.
> He retired in 1986 as a player and was a manager until 1989 --
> when he was kicked out of baseball. Despite his stellar career,
> he is still not in the Hall of Fame. What did he do to deserve
> this punishment? Be sufficiently specific.

Bet on games involving his own team. "Bet on baseball" was
sufficient. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 72
Pete Gayde 23 39 62
Dan Tilque 36 20 56
Dan Blum 33 16 49
Erland Sommarskog 38 8 46
John Gerson 24 0 24

--
Mark Brader | "The good news is that the Internet is dynamic.
Toronto | The bad news is that the Internet is dynamic."