He who foresees calamities suffers them twice over.

interests / rec.gardens.edible / Re: Potato Seeds

SubjectAuthor
* Potato SeedsWilson
+* Re: Potato SeedsBob F
|`* Re: Potato SeedsWilson
| `- Re: Potato SeedsBob F
+* Re: Potato Seedssongbird
|`- Re: Potato SeedsWilson
`* Re: Potato SeedsGary Woods
 +* Re: Potato SeedsWilson
 |`- Re: Potato Seedssongbird
 `- Re: Potato SeedsWilson

1
Potato Seeds

<sn8d51$nuk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=322&group=rec.gardens.edible#322

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Potato Seeds
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:42:41 -0500
 by: Wilson - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 14:42 UTC

Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters. I have
saved some seed and will try them in the coming season, but I never saw, no
less planted, potato seeds before.

Re: Potato Seeds

<sn8gs5$q1a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=323&group=rec.gardens.edible#323

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: Potato Seeds
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 07:46:16 -0800
 by: Bob F - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 15:46 UTC

On 11/19/2021 6:42 AM, Wilson wrote:
> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato
> seeds. I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They
> produced above ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato
> clusters. I have saved some seed and will try them in the coming season,
> but I never saw, no less planted, potato seeds before.

Look them up. AIUI, potato seeds will almost never breed true. You are
highly unlikely to get a "good" potato out of them.

Re: Potato Seeds

<sn8her$uum$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=324&group=rec.gardens.edible#324

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 10:56:11 -0500
 by: Wilson - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 15:56 UTC

On 11/19/2021 10:46 AM, Bob F wrote:
> On 11/19/2021 6:42 AM, Wilson wrote:
>> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato
>> seeds. I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They
>> produced above ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato
>> clusters. I have saved some seed and will try them in the coming season,
>> but I never saw, no less planted, potato seeds before.
>
> Look them up. AIUI, potato seeds will almost never breed true. You are
> highly unlikely to get a "good" potato out of them.

Thanks, Bob. I have looked them up got the same info as you just gave me. So
hoping someone else has dealt with them before. If Adirondacks are heirloom,
the seed my resemble the parent.

Re: Potato Seeds

<sn8jlu$g7e$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=325&group=rec.gardens.edible#325

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:34:09 -0800
 by: Bob F - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:34 UTC

On 11/19/2021 7:56 AM, Wilson wrote:
> On 11/19/2021 10:46 AM, Bob F wrote:
>> On 11/19/2021 6:42 AM, Wilson wrote:
>>> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato
>>> seeds. I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They
>>> produced above ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato
>>> clusters. I have saved some seed and will try them in the coming
>>> season, but I never saw, no less planted, potato seeds before.
>>
>> Look them up. AIUI, potato seeds will almost never breed true. You are
>> highly unlikely to get a "good" potato out of them.
>>
> Thanks, Bob. I have looked them up got the same info as you just gave
> me. So hoping someone else has dealt with them before. If Adirondacks
> are heirloom, the seed my resemble the parent.

Why do you think that?

Re: Potato Seeds

<69hl6i-8da.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=326&group=rec.gardens.edible#326

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:24:22 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 21:24 UTC

Wilson wrote:
> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
> I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
> ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters. I have
> saved some seed and will try them in the coming season, but I never saw, no
> less planted, potato seeds before.

were there other kinds of potatoes being grown in that
area and blooming at roughly the same time?

songbird

Re: Potato Seeds

<db8a7451-8cd6-29bf-05d2-a0dcedfde896@nearyou.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=327&group=rec.gardens.edible#327

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 11:09:57 -0500
 by: Wilson - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:09 UTC

On 11/19/2021 4:24 PM, songbird wrote:
> Wilson wrote:
>> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
>> I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
>> ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters. I have
>> saved some seed and will try them in the coming season, but I never saw, no
>> less planted, potato seeds before.
>
> were there other kinds of potatoes being grown in that
> area and blooming at roughly the same time?
>

> songbird

I actually had some red-skinned potatoes that escaped the fall harvest last
year and came up on their own. Something else I never saw happen before.
Those red potatoes bloomed, but I can't say they were blooming at the same
time. Many seeds about the size of a sesame seed in each fruit. Going to
experiment and see what happens.

Re: Potato Seeds

<vncipgtpcml4m551qdu6didui41fdebbsj@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=328&group=rec.gardens.edible#328

From: garygar...@earthlink.net (Gary Woods)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 12:44:08 -0500
 by: Gary Woods - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 17:44 UTC

On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:42:41 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
wrote:

>Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
>I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
>ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters.

I remember that Luther Burbank's "Burbank" potato came from one of the
seeds from a rare potato fruit. And I met a fellow at the Seed
Saver's Exchange summer meet that breeds potatos (and tomatos) by
cross pollinating and growing out the resulting seeds. He had a
number of potato colors bred from Peruvian wild stock.

--
Gary Woods O- K2AHC

Re: Potato Seeds

<408dc0a7-3ecc-c3c7-6358-2973783317b2@nearyou.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=329&group=rec.gardens.edible#329

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:23:59 -0500
 by: Wilson - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:23 UTC

On 11/20/2021 12:44 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:42:41 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
>> I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
>> ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters.
>
> I remember that Luther Burbank's "Burbank" potato came from one of the
> seeds from a rare potato fruit. And I met a fellow at the Seed
> Saver's Exchange summer meet that breeds potatos (and tomatos) by
> cross pollinating and growing out the resulting seeds. He had a
> number of potato colors bred from Peruvian wild stock.

Thanks Gary. I have no real expectations, but a strong curiosity about
things grow-able. I'm always collecting things in the wild and sometimes
even get to plant them. If I planted 15 seeds and had anything come from
them, I would be happy. If I had 15 different types of potatoes, I would be
ecstatic.
Thanks for that info.

Re: Potato Seeds

<7088c623-117e-2c02-4a9c-545541c883d4@nearyou.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=330&group=rec.gardens.edible#330

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 10:24:25 -0500
 by: Wilson - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 15:24 UTC

On 11/20/2021 12:44 PM, Gary Woods wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Nov 2021 09:42:41 -0500, Wilson <nowhere@nearyou.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Not a misprint Just wondering what other's experience is with potato seeds.
>> I tried some Adirondack blue seed potatoes this summer. They produced above
>> ground fruit that looked like dark-green cherry tomato clusters.
>
> I remember that Luther Burbank's "Burbank" potato came from one of the
> seeds from a rare potato fruit. And I met a fellow at the Seed
> Saver's Exchange summer meet that breeds potatos (and tomatos) by
> cross pollinating and growing out the resulting seeds. He had a
> number of potato colors bred from Peruvian wild stock.

Thanks Gary. I have no real expectations, but a strong curiosity about
things grow-able. I'm always collecting things in the wild and sometimes
even get to plant them. If I planted 15 seeds and had anything come from
them, I would be happy. If I had 15 different types of potatoes, I would be
ecstatic.
Thanks for that info.

Re: Potato Seeds

<1bb07i-2r2.ln1@anthive.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=331&group=rec.gardens.edible#331

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 18:50:25 -0500
 by: songbird - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 23:50 UTC

Wilson wrote:
> Thanks Gary. I have no real expectations, but a strong curiosity about
> things grow-able. I'm always collecting things in the wild and sometimes
> even get to plant them. If I planted 15 seeds and had anything come from
> them, I would be happy. If I had 15 different types of potatoes, I would be
> ecstatic.
> Thanks for that info.

Wilson, send me a PM (the e-mail i use for this group is
valid) and i will send you some further links to explore on
the topic. :)

songbird