The kind of danger people most enjoy is the kind they can watch from a safe place.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writersMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writersJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writersDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writersPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writersDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: Can#s, traveling writersMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

<EOmdnQE56Oo5rNz8nZ2dnUU7-X3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3280&group=rec.games.trivia#3280

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2021 18:35:00 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 14 Sep 2021 23:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana - Canada by the Numbers

All answers are a group of people or things, with a number in
the name. For example, if we say "members include Sleepy, Sneezy
and Doc" the answer would be the Seven Dwarves. However, these
are about Canada and they are real. Name the groups.

1. The founders of the Iroquois Confederacy -- including the
Mohawks, Onondagas, and Oneidas (but not the Tuscaroras,
who joined later). What name are these peoples collectively
known by?

2. The political dream team -- Pierre Trudeau, Gerard Pelletier,
and Jean Marchand.

3. Aspiring terrorists -- including Fahim Ahmad, Zakaria Amara,
and Shareef Abdelhaleem. Name the group.

4. In visual art -- members included Franz (or Frank) Johnston
and Franklin Carmichael.

5. Emily Murphy, Irene Marryat Parlby, Nellie Mooney McClung,
Henrietta Muir Edwards, and Louise Crummy McKinney. No other
information necessary.

6. Near Canmore, these mountains can be seen from the Trans-Canada
Highway. The member names would give away the answer, but let's
just say that the name of the mountains is also the name of a
play by Chekhov.

7. In art, its members included Jack Bush, Jock MacDonald, and
Harold Town, from 1954 to 1960. Name the group.

8. For a time during the negotiations to patriate the constitution,
all provincial premiers except Bill Davis and Richard Hatfield
were opposed to the initiative. How did they then come to
be known?

9. A sound poetry group consisting of bpNichol, Paul Dutton,
Rafael Barreto-Rivera, and Steve McCaffery. Based in Toronto,
they performed internationally from 1972 to 1988.

10. This trade union was founded in Calgary on 1919-06-04,
seceding from the dominant Trades and Labour Congress of Canada.
For years they continued to lose members, but stayed alive
by an illegal lottery that they ran in their weekly bulletin.
Eventually, they merged with CLC in 1956. What was the name
of the movement?

* Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Traveling Writers

There are travel writers and then there are writers who travel.
This round is about the latter. In all cases, name the writer.

1. This """contemporary""" humorist has written memorably about
his travels in Japan, Canada, and ("""most recently""")
Northern Ireland. Titles include "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw".

2. This 19th-century Scottish novelist was an inveterate traveler
who wrote of America and the South Seas, though his most beloved
travel memoir retells the two weeks he spent traipsing around
the south of France with a donkey.

3. A Trinidadian Nobel-prizewinner who sometimes """alternates"""
between novels and works of non-fiction, including "India:
a Wounded Civilization" and "Among the Believers: an Islamic
Journey".

4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
islands of Scotland.

5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in
the 1960s.

6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
"pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
and Italy.

7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
and Cuba.

8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
but it was a memorable one.

9. From 1898, this Irish writer began making annual visits to
the Aran Islands, off the coast of Galway. His encounters with
traditional Ireland inspired a travelogue and several acclaimed
stage plays.

10. This 20th-century writer started his literary travels with
"In Patagonia" before following Australian aboriginal trails
in "The Songlines". One of his travel collections bears the
classic title "What am I Doing Here?"

--
Mark Brader "I can say nothing at this point."
Toronto "Well, you were wrong."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

<74a3dd50-f308-4608-a973-aa7c970a53d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3281&group=rec.games.trivia#3281

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2021 05:35:08 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 15 Sep 2021 12:35 UTC

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021 at 6:35:07 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana - Canada by the Numbers
>
> All answers are a group of people or things, with a number in
> the name. For example, if we say "members include Sleepy, Sneezy
> and Doc" the answer would be the Seven Dwarves. However, these
> are about Canada and they are real. Name the groups.
>
> 5. Emily Murphy, Irene Marryat Parlby, Nellie Mooney McClung,
> Henrietta Muir Edwards, and Louise Crummy McKinney. No other
> information necessary.

The Persons Five

> 6. Near Canmore, these mountains can be seen from the Trans-Canada
> Highway. The member names would give away the answer, but let's
> just say that the name of the mountains is also the name of a
> play by Chekhov.

Three Sisters

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Traveling Writers
>
> There are travel writers and then there are writers who travel.
> This round is about the latter. In all cases, name the writer.
>
> 3. A Trinidadian Nobel-prizewinner who sometimes """alternates"""
> between novels and works of non-fiction, including "India:
> a Wounded Civilization" and "Among the Believers: an Islamic
> Journey".

Naipaul

> 4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
> pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
> islands of Scotland.

Johnson

> 5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
> one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
> journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in
> the 1960s.

Michener

> 6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
> self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
> "pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
> and Italy.

Lord Byron

> 7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
> during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
> hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
> and Cuba.

Greene

> 8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
> of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
> but it was a memorable one.

Guevara

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

<shucu9$ge1$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3282&group=rec.games.trivia#3282

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 03:16:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 16 Sep 2021 03:16 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana - Canada by the Numbers

> 1. The founders of the Iroquois Confederacy -- including the
> Mohawks, Onondagas, and Oneidas (but not the Tuscaroras,
> who joined later). What name are these peoples collectively
> known by?

Six Nations

> 6. Near Canmore, these mountains can be seen from the Trans-Canada
> Highway. The member names would give away the answer, but let's
> just say that the name of the mountains is also the name of a
> play by Chekhov.

Three Sisters

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Traveling Writers

> 1. This """contemporary""" humorist has written memorably about
> his travels in Japan, Canada, and ("""most recently""")
> Northern Ireland. Titles include "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw".

Dave Barry

> 2. This 19th-century Scottish novelist was an inveterate traveler
> who wrote of America and the South Seas, though his most beloved
> travel memoir retells the two weeks he spent traipsing around
> the south of France with a donkey.

Robert Louis Stevenson

> 4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
> pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
> islands of Scotland.

Samuel Johnson

> 5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
> one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
> journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in
> the 1960s.

James Michener

> 6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
> self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
> "pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
> and Italy.

Lord Byron

> 7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
> during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
> hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
> and Cuba.

Grahame Greene

> 8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
> of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
> but it was a memorable one.

Jorge Luis Borges

> 10. This 20th-century writer started his literary travels with
> "In Patagonia" before following Australian aboriginal trails
> in "The Songlines". One of his travel collections bears the
> classic title "What am I Doing Here?"

Paul Theroux

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

<si132m$7e1$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3283&group=rec.games.trivia#3283

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2021 22:46:30 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 03:46 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Northern Ireland. Titles include "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw".
>
> 2. This 19th-century Scottish novelist was an inveterate traveler
> who wrote of America and the South Seas, though his most beloved
> travel memoir retells the two weeks he spent traipsing around
> the south of France with a donkey.
>
> 3. A Trinidadian Nobel-prizewinner who sometimes """alternates"""
> between novels and works of non-fiction, including "India:
> a Wounded Civilization" and "Among the Believers: an Islamic
> Journey".
>
> 4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
> pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
> islands of Scotland.
>
> 5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
> one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
> journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in

Michener

> 6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
> self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
> "pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
> and Italy.
>
> 7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
> during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
> hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
> and Cuba.
>
> 8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
> of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
> but it was a memorable one.
>
> 9. From 1898, this Irish writer began making annual visits to
> the Aran Islands, off the coast of Galway. His encounters with
> traditional Ireland inspired a travelogue and several acclaimed
> stage plays.
>
> 10. This 20th-century writer started his literary travels with
> "In Patagonia" before following Australian aboriginal trails
> in "The Songlines". One of his travel collections bears the
> classic title "What am I Doing Here?"

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: Can#s, traveling writers

<si2v9r$741$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3284&group=rec.games.trivia#3284

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 13:54:17 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 17 Sep 2021 20:54 UTC

On 9/14/21 4:35 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana - Canada by the Numbers
>
> All answers are a group of people or things, with a number in
> the name. For example, if we say "members include Sleepy, Sneezy
> and Doc" the answer would be the Seven Dwarves. However, these
> are about Canada and they are real. Name the groups.
>
> 1. The founders of the Iroquois Confederacy -- including the
> Mohawks, Onondagas, and Oneidas (but not the Tuscaroras,
> who joined later). What name are these peoples collectively
> known by?

Six Nations

> 2. The political dream team -- Pierre Trudeau, Gerard Pelletier,
> and Jean Marchand.
>
> 3. Aspiring terrorists -- including Fahim Ahmad, Zakaria Amara,
> and Shareef Abdelhaleem. Name the group.
>
> 4. In visual art -- members included Franz (or Frank) Johnston
> and Franklin Carmichael.
>
> 5. Emily Murphy, Irene Marryat Parlby, Nellie Mooney McClung,
> Henrietta Muir Edwards, and Louise Crummy McKinney. No other
> information necessary.
>
> 6. Near Canmore, these mountains can be seen from the Trans-Canada
> Highway. The member names would give away the answer, but let's
> just say that the name of the mountains is also the name of a
> play by Chekhov.
>
> 7. In art, its members included Jack Bush, Jock MacDonald, and
> Harold Town, from 1954 to 1960. Name the group.
>
> 8. For a time during the negotiations to patriate the constitution,
> all provincial premiers except Bill Davis and Richard Hatfield
> were opposed to the initiative. How did they then come to
> be known?
>
> 9. A sound poetry group consisting of bpNichol, Paul Dutton,
> Rafael Barreto-Rivera, and Steve McCaffery. Based in Toronto,
> they performed internationally from 1972 to 1988.
>
> 10. This trade union was founded in Calgary on 1919-06-04,
> seceding from the dominant Trades and Labour Congress of Canada.
> For years they continued to lose members, but stayed alive
> by an illegal lottery that they ran in their weekly bulletin.
> Eventually, they merged with CLC in 1956. What was the name
> of the movement?
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Traveling Writers
>
> There are travel writers and then there are writers who travel.
> This round is about the latter. In all cases, name the writer.
>
> 1. This """contemporary""" humorist has written memorably about
> his travels in Japan, Canada, and ("""most recently""")
> Northern Ireland. Titles include "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw".
>
> 2. This 19th-century Scottish novelist was an inveterate traveler
> who wrote of America and the South Seas, though his most beloved
> travel memoir retells the two weeks he spent traipsing around
> the south of France with a donkey.
>
> 3. A Trinidadian Nobel-prizewinner who sometimes """alternates"""
> between novels and works of non-fiction, including "India:
> a Wounded Civilization" and "Among the Believers: an Islamic
> Journey".
>
> 4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
> pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
> islands of Scotland.

Samuel Johnson

> 5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
> one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
> journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in
> the 1960s.

Mitchener

> 6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
> self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
> "pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
> and Italy.
>
> 7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
> during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
> hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
> and Cuba.
>
> 8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
> of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
> but it was a memorable one.
>
> 9. From 1898, this Irish writer began making annual visits to
> the Aran Islands, off the coast of Galway. His encounters with
> traditional Ireland inspired a travelogue and several acclaimed
> stage plays.
>
> 10. This 20th-century writer started his literary travels with
> "In Patagonia" before following Australian aboriginal trails
> in "The Songlines". One of his travel collections bears the
> classic title "What am I Doing Here?"

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: Can#s, traveling writers

<hPOdnRWxY-E7yNj8nZ2dnUU7-d_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3285&group=rec.games.trivia#3285

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 5, Rounds 7-8 answers: Can#s, traveling writers
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2021 21:57:42 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 18 Sep 2021 02:57 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-13,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Canadiana - Canada by the Numbers

> All answers are a group of people or things, with a number in
> the name. For example, if we say "members include Sleepy, Sneezy
> and Doc" the answer would be the Seven Dwarves. However, these
> are about Canada and they are real. Name the groups.

> 1. The founders of the Iroquois Confederacy -- including the
> Mohawks, Onondagas, and Oneidas (but not the Tuscaroras,
> who joined later). What name are these peoples collectively
> known by?

The Five Nations. They became the Six Nations when the Tuscaroras
joined, but I could not accept that answer.

The other two were the Cayugas and the Senecas.

> 2. The political dream team -- Pierre Trudeau, Gerard Pelletier,
> and Jean Marchand.

The Three Wise Men or the Three Doves (les trois colombes).

> 3. Aspiring terrorists -- including Fahim Ahmad, Zakaria Amara,
> and Shareef Abdelhaleem. Name the group.

The Toronto 18.

> 4. In visual art -- members included Franz (or Frank) Johnston
> and Franklin Carmichael.

The Group of Seven.

The other 5 original members were Lawren Harris, A. Y. Jackson,
Arthur Lismer, J. E. H. MacDonald, and Frederick Varley. Tom
Thomson died before the group was officially formed.

> 5. Emily Murphy, Irene Marryat Parlby, Nellie Mooney McClung,
> Henrietta Muir Edwards, and Louise Crummy McKinney. No other
> information necessary.

The Famous Five (or the Valiant Five).

The five were the women who brought what is known as the "Persons
Case" before the Supreme Court of Canada in the 1920s. The court
was asked to decide whether, in Canadian law, the word "person"
could include a woman. It said no.

But in those days as Canada was still advancing gradually toward
full independence, the highest court of appeal in Canadian law was
not the Supreme Court; it was the UK's Judicial Committee of the
Privy Council. That court overruled the Canadian decision on the
grounds of -- this is verbatim -- "Why should it not?" And today
this event is commemorated as a moment for *Canadians* to be proud of.

But they are not known as "Persons Five", so I could not accept that
answer either.

When I posted this game here in 2012, Gareth Owen scored 4 points
on an outright guess on this question.

> 6. Near Canmore, these mountains can be seen from the Trans-Canada
> Highway. The member names would give away the answer, but let's
> just say that the name of the mountains is also the name of a
> play by Chekhov.

The Three Sisters (or the Three Nuns). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

The mountains are the Big, the Middle, and the Little Sister.

> 7. In art, its members included Jack Bush, Jock MacDonald, and
> Harold Town, from 1954 to 1960. Name the group.

Painters 11.

The other 8 were Oscar Cahén, Hortense Gordon, Tom Hodgson, Alexandra
Luke, Ray Mead, Kazuo Nakamura, William Ronald, and Walter Yarwood.

> 8. For a time during the negotiations to patriate the constitution,
> all provincial premiers except Bill Davis and Richard Hatfield
> were opposed to the initiative. How did they then come to
> be known?

The Gang of Eight.

> 9. A sound poetry group consisting of bpNichol, Paul Dutton,
> Rafael Barreto-Rivera, and Steve McCaffery. Based in Toronto,
> they performed internationally from 1972 to 1988.

The Four Horsemen.

Incidentally, some years ago when the City of Toronto decided that
all its back alleys should have street names, the poet who went by
the unusually formed name bpNichol was commemorated by the creation
of a bpNichol Lane. It was an appropriate choice of alleys because
a leading literary publisher is located there -- Coach House Press
<http://www.chbooks.com/>, which, incidentally, had ties to my past
employer SoftQuad. (Yes, their promises are a former coach house;
that's why they're located on the alley.) At one time one team in the
Canadian Inquisition consisted entirely of Coach House Press employees
-- and that team was called the nicholheads. With a small N.

> 10. This trade union was founded in Calgary on 1919-06-04,
> seceding from the dominant Trades and Labour Congress of Canada.
> For years they continued to lose members, but stayed alive
> by an illegal lottery that they ran in their weekly bulletin.
> Eventually, they merged with CLC in 1956. What was the name
> of the movement?

The One Big Union.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Traveling Writers

> There are travel writers and then there are writers who travel.
> This round is about the latter. In all cases, name the writer.

> 1. This """contemporary""" humorist has written memorably about
> his travels in Japan, Canada, and ("""most recently""")
> Northern Ireland. Titles include "Beauty Tips from Moose Jaw".

Will Ferguson. (Still alive, most recent writing about travel is
about Rwanda.)

> 2. This 19th-century Scottish novelist was an inveterate traveler
> who wrote of America and the South Seas, though his most beloved
> travel memoir retells the two weeks he spent traipsing around
> the south of France with a donkey.

Robert Louis Stevenson. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. A Trinidadian Nobel-prizewinner who sometimes """alternates"""
> between novels and works of non-fiction, including "India:
> a Wounded Civilization" and "Among the Believers: an Islamic
> Journey".

V.S. Naipaul. (He died in 2018.) 4 for Joshua.

> 4. This ultra-urban 18th-century writer allowed himself to be
> pried from London for 3 months to inspect the wild western
> islands of Scotland.

Samuel Johnson. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. This 20th-century American author matched his massive
> one-word-titled novels of love and war with massive travel
> journals, like the classic "Iberia", a portrait of Spain in
> the 1960s.

James Michener. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. This world-weary 19th-century poet spent much of his life in
> self-imposed exile from England. His fame was founded upon his
> "pilgrimage" in four cantos through Portugal, Spain, Greece,
> and Italy.

Lord Byron. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. This 20th-century English novelist worked for MI6 in Sierra Leone
> during World War II, and always had a soft spot for the world's
> hotspots, including revolutionary Mexico, Haiti, Viet Nam,
> and Cuba.

Graham Greene. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. He was born in Rosario, Argentina, in 1928. His chronicle
> of a journey from Buenos Aires to Peru was his only travel book,
> but it was a memorable one.

Che Guevara. ("The Motorcycle Diaries".) 4 for Joshua.

> 9. From 1898, this Irish writer began making annual visits to
> the Aran Islands, off the coast of Galway. His encounters with
> traditional Ireland inspired a travelogue and several acclaimed
> stage plays.

John Millington Synge.

> 10. This 20th-century writer started his literary travels with
> "In Patagonia" before following Australian aboriginal trails
> in "The Songlines". One of his travel collections bears the
> classic title "What am I Doing Here?"

Bruce Chatwin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo His Sci Can Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 32 16 4 24 128
Dan Blum 33 16 27 22 4 20 102
Dan Tilque 36 20 8 24 0 8 88
Pete Gayde 23 39 8 8 0 4 78
Erland Sommarskog 38 8 16 0 -- -- 62
John Gerson 24 0 -- -- -- -- 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Mark is probably right about something,
msb@vex.net | but I forget what" -- Rayan Zachariassen