From: sli...@anashram.com (slider)
Newsgroups: alt.dreams.castaneda
Subject: Wildlife populations have crashed by 69% within less than a lifetime
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:16:43 -0000
 by: slider - Thu, 23 Mar 2023 13:16 UTC

The planet's wildlife is being decimated. Within the span of a single
lifetime, animal populations that scientists have monitored have declined
by over two-thirds.

These shocking findings comes from the latest WWF Living Planet Report,
which sets out to assess and quantify vertebrate animal populations around
the world. Published every two years, the 2022 report is the most
comprehensive to date, covering more species and more populations than
ever before.

It shows that wildlife is facing a double threat: climate change and
biodiversity loss. While these two issues are linked, they are also
distinct.

Habitat loss caused by land use change, the insatiable desire of people to
cut down more forests, farm more land, extract more minerals and build
ever-expanding infrastructure are all taking their toll. But pollution,
climate change, invasive species and disease are also of concern.

https://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2022/october/wildlife-populations-crashed-by-69-within-less-than-a-lifetime.html

Marco Lambertini, the Director General of WWF International, says, 'We
face the double emergencies of human-induced climate change and
biodiversity loss, threatening the well-being of current and future
generations.'

'WWF is extremely worried by this new data showing a devastating fall in
wildlife populations, in particular in tropical regions that are home to
some of the most biodiverse landscapes in the world.'

But these figures - alarming though they are - could well be
underrepresenting the true scale of loss. The studies assessed for the
Living Planet Report only look at mammals, birds, amphibians, reptiles and
fish, and does not take stock of the planet's invertebrates, despite them
vastly outnumbering vertebrates. Invertebrates are also known to be facing
their own biodiversity crisis.

A healthy and flourishing environment is not something that would simply
be nice to have, it is critical to our well-being and to our very
survival. If ecological systems become so unhealthy that they no longer
function properly, the result will be shortages of the many different
things nature helps to provide, most obviously food, but also clothing,
materials, medicines, climate regulation and clean water.

We know how and why the health of the planet is deteriorating, and we have
the tools to slow and reverse it.

To have a future in which both people and the planet thrive, we must go
beyond just conserving what remains. We must act to bend the curve,
shifting how we produce, consume, govern and finance our societies in
order to protect and restore the planet's vital biodiversity.

Where is wildlife being most affected?
The 2022 Living Planet Report assessed some 32,000 populations of 5,230
species around the planet, tracking the relative abundance of vertebrate
animals from 1970 to 2018. While the average decline in this wildlife is
enough to be of concern, digging into the details reveals some truly
distressing figures.

Despite being among the most biodiverse places in the world, Latin America
and the Caribbean region on their own have seen that monitored wildlife
populations crash by 94% on average. What makes it worse is that the
current data stops in 2018, so does not even include the effects of the
rapid increase in deforestation and environmental destruction presided
over during the past three years by the Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro.

In September 2022 alone, for example, an area of rainforest the size of
Greater London was destroyed, as deforestation ramped up in the wake of
the uncertainty of Bolsonaro's continued presidency.

The population trends elsewhere are not so stark, but every region shows
concerning declines, with 66% in Africa, 55% in Asia and the Pacific, 20%
in North America and 18% in Europe and Central Asia.

Another indicator in the report, the Biodiversity Intactness Index (BII),
may help to explain why these trends vary around the world.

The BII estimates how much of an area's natural ecological community
survives. It shows that while North America and Western Europe has not
seen such dramatic declines as other parts of the world, its biodiversity
intactness is much lower to begin with. This is because in these regions
the destruction of natural landscapes into farmland occurred long before
the 1970s, the point at which the Living Planet Report starts, meaning
that the decimation of wildlife in Europe and North America is simply not
captured.

Professor Andy Purvis is a Research Leader at the Museum who helped
develop the BII as a way of measuring biodiversity.

'The trends aren't so scary in Europe or North America, but that's largely
because so many populations in those regions disappeared a century or more
ago,' Andy explains. 'Although nature is declining really rapidly across
much of the tropics, those ecosystems often still have much more of their
natural biodiversity left than we do in the UK, for instance.'

Looking at specific groups of vertebrates finds that those living
freshwater environments have fared the worst, with overall declines of
83%. Despite covering just 1% of the world's surface area, these waters
are essential for our survival and well-being, as well as hosting
one-third of all known vertebrate species.

With around half of all people living within just a few kilometres of
freshwater, the pressures on these environments are numerous, including
habitat loss, barriers to migration, and excessive pollution.

But the dramatic decline of these animals is not just a statistic in a
report. The loss is being felt directly by those living in these regions..

Flor Delicia Ramos Barba lives in the Indigenous community of Santo
Corazon in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. She says, 'The roar of the jaguar could be
heard near the community three years ago, but not anymore. Compared with
my childhood, I've witnessed a big difference.'

'The animals in the community are now gone. We also feel this lack in the
rivers. The people used to go fishing to support their families, but now
there are no fish. Tree species have also been disappearing.'

'As a community we have become aware of the difficulties that come our way
year after year. The conservation of our territory is important to us.'

We have the solutions

We know that humans have severely impacted many regions of the planet. But
the good news is that we also know how to fix it.

This year the United Nations Human General Assembly recognised that
everyone has the right to live in a clean, healthy and sustainable
environment. Enforcing this right falls primarily on governments, who must
act to protect their own citizens' rights.

This needs to take a number of forms, tackling everything from energy
production, sustainable consumption and agriculture, to climate change and
biodiversity loss.

At the end of this year, politicians, policy makers and scientists from
around the world will descend on Montreal, Canada, for the biodiversity
conference COP15. With such stark warnings about the direction of travel
the planet is currently heading in, the conference has taken on a new
significance to get governments to finally start addressing biodiversity
loss in the same way in which they are talking about the climate crisis.

'At the COP15 biodiversity conference this December, leaders have an
opportunity to reset our broken relationship with the natural world and
deliver a healthier, more sustainable future for all with an ambitious
nature-positive global biodiversity agreement,' says Marco.

'In the face of our escalating nature crisis, it's essential this
agreement delivers immediate action on the ground, including through a
transformation of the sectors driving nature loss, and financial support
to developing countries.'

Andy agrees. He says, 'The global economy is not separate from nature -
it's embedded within nature. That means that to be sustainable, growth
can't be at the permanent expense of nature. Asset-stripping ecosystems
might give a one-time profit, but it's simply killing the goose that lays
the golden egg.'

Whether or not anything concrete will come out of COP15 is still to be
seen, but the reframing of the environmental crisis to centre biodiversity
loss will be a critical foundation to build upon.

### - we HAVE the solutions but spend ALL our money on WAR instead??
riiiight...

"THIS being WHY i conclude that they're ALL fucking stark raving mad! LOL
!"

(sadly true...)

also this uk recent scholarly article, that ends with the clear warning:

“We are currently losing species at a faster rate than in any of Earth’s
past extinction events. It is probable that we are in the first phase of
another, more severe mass extinction,” Dr Huang added. “We cannot predict
the tipping point that will send ecosystems into total collapse, but it is
an inevitable outcome if we do not reverse biodiversity loss.”

https://www.bristol.ac.uk/news/2023/february/great-dying-biodiversity-loss.html

Click here to read the complete article