A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a fool something to stick in his mouth.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL womenMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL womenDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL womenJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL womenPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL womenDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Manitobans, SNL womenMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

<M92dnfzS98QbnNH8nZ2dnUU7-WnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3292&group=rec.games.trivia#3292

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2021 23:24:38 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 04:24 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. The TTC last week announced plans to install 141 specially-
equipped payphones in 69 stations. Specially equipped with what?

2. This foul-mouthed illustrated nursery rhyme for sleep-deprived
parents debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller
list of advice books, and the video of Samuel L. Jackson reading
it went viral (as the kids say) on youtube. What is the title?

* Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans

For questions #1-9, name the person described.

*Note*: for questions #1-2, I will accept the corresponding winner
in the most recent competition, whether Manitoban or not.

1. """Last year""", this beer-loving native of Russell raced his
skeleton to Olympic gold.

2. Which Winnipegger skipped Team Canada to curling gold at
"""this year's""" World Championship?

3. This first Governor-General to come from a background neither
English nor French was born in Beausejour.

4. Which St-Boniface-born French-language novelist """is""" quoted
on the Canadian $20 bill?

5. This native of Steinbach won the Governor-General's Award for
English Fiction in 2004. She acted the part of a Mennonite
woman in the Mexican movie "Silent Light".

6. In 2000, he voiced himself on a Simpsons episode that included
a performance of "Takin' Care of Business". Name the
Winnipeg-born guitarist/songwriter.

7. """Last year""", this Celtic singer/songwriter from Morden
performed at the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics
(during the flying-canoe segment) and released an album called
"The Wind that Shakes the Barley".

8. This Dauphin-born fighter ace flew on the Western and Italian
Fronts during World War I and remains Canada's most decorated
serviceman ever. After the war, he argued successfully that
airmen should be issued parachutes, although some senior officers
feared this would dampen aggressive spirit.

9. This Winnipegger who loved 1929-88 achieved fame as a writer
and filmmaker, but above all as a canoeist.

10. Andy van Hellemond has been a member of the Hockey Hall of
Fame since 1999. Starting in 1969, the Winnipeg native has taken
the ice in """19""" Stanley Cup Final series. In what position?

* Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"

Please see the handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r3/snl.jpg

For the first 6 questions, we name the person and give some other
information such as when they appeared on the show, and you give
the picture letter.

1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?

2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
"""Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?

4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?

5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?

6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
"30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?

Please answer the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
the remaining 4, where we you give the letter and you name the
comedienne.

7. Anzr gur bevtvany pnfg zrzore sebz 1975 gb 1980 va cvpgher A,
jub srngherq punenpgref Ebfnaar Ebfrnaanqnaan naq Onon Jnjn.
Fur jnf zneevrq gb Trar Jvyqre jura fur qvrq ng gur ntr bs 42.

8. Nabgure Bevtvany Tvey ba gur fubj sebz 1975 gb 1980, cvpgher Y'f
punenpgref vapyhqrq Celzngg Pbarurnq. Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg
srznyr "Hcqngr" napube. Fur yngre fgneerq va "Xngr naq Nyyvr".
Anzr ure.

9. """Pheerag""" pnfg zrzore cvpgher Q """vf""" bar bs gur yrnqvat
yvtugf bs gur fubj. Punenpgref vapyhqr Gnetrg Ynql naq Tvyyl.
Fur jnf srngherq va gur svyzf "Jnyx Uneq" naq "Xabpxrq Hc".
Anzr guvf fgne bs gur """erprag""" uvg "Oevqrfznvqf".

10. Srngherq pnfg zrzore naq urnq jevgre ba FAY, cvpgher R nyfb
jebgr gur svyz "Zrna Tveyf" naq jevgrf naq fgnef va GI'f
"30 Ebpx". Anzr gur orfg Fnenu Cnyva vzcrefbangbe va gur jbeyq.

And name the 4 decoy images if you like for fun, but for no points.
Here are the picture letters in rot13:

11. T.
12. U.
13. V.
14. X.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
msb@vex.net -- Clive Feather

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

<sih1pe$1qb$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3293&group=rec.games.trivia#3293

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 05:02:38 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 05:02 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> 2. This foul-mouthed illustrated nursery rhyme for sleep-deprived
> parents debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller
> list of advice books, and the video of Samuel L. Jackson reading
> it went viral (as the kids say) on youtube. What is the title?

Go the Fuck to Sleep

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans

> 8. This Dauphin-born fighter ace flew on the Western and Italian
> Fronts during World War I and remains Canada's most decorated
> serviceman ever. After the war, he argued successfully that
> airmen should be issued parachutes, although some senior officers
> feared this would dampen aggressive spirit.

Billy Bishop

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"

> 1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
> and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
> on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
> Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?

M; G

> 2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
> the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
> she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
> and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

H; D

> 3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
> on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
> """Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
> is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?

> 4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
> included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
> singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
> Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?

> 5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
> and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
> in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?

F; J

> 6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
> Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
> "30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
> glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?

> 7. Anzr gur bevtvany pnfg zrzore sebz 1975 gb 1980 va cvpgher A,
> jub srngherq punenpgref Ebfnaar Ebfrnaanqnaan naq Onon Jnjn.
> Fur jnf zneevrq gb Trar Jvyqre jura fur qvrq ng gur ntr bs 42.

Gilda Radner

> 8. Nabgure Bevtvany Tvey ba gur fubj sebz 1975 gb 1980, cvpgher Y'f
> punenpgref vapyhqrq Celzngg Pbarurnq. Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg
> srznyr "Hcqngr" napube. Fur yngre fgneerq va "Xngr naq Nyyvr".
> Anzr ure.

Jane Curtin

> 9. """Pheerag""" pnfg zrzore cvpgher Q """vf""" bar bs gur yrnqvat
> yvtugf bs gur fubj. Punenpgref vapyhqr Gnetrg Ynql naq Tvyyl.
> Fur jnf srngherq va gur svyzf "Jnyx Uneq" naq "Xabpxrq Hc".
> Anzr guvf fgne bs gur """erprag""" uvg "Oevqrfznvqf".

Wiig

> 10. Srngherq pnfg zrzore naq urnq jevgre ba FAY, cvpgher R nyfb
> jebgr gur svyz "Zrna Tveyf" naq jevgrf naq fgnef va GI'f
> "30 Ebpx". Anzr gur orfg Fnenu Cnyva vzcrefbangbe va gur jbeyq.

Tina Fey

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

<4d877d84-8beb-423c-86ac-e59ff761aceen@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3294&group=rec.games.trivia#3294

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 05:47:09 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 23 Sep 2021 12:47 UTC

On Wednesday, September 22, 2021 at 11:24:43 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans
>
> 6. In 2000, he voiced himself on a Simpsons episode that included
> a performance of "Takin' Care of Business". Name the
> Winnipeg-born guitarist/songwriter.

Bachman
> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"
>
> Please see the handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r3/snl.jpg
>
> For the first 6 questions, we name the person and give some other
> information such as when they appeared on the show, and you give
> the picture letter.
>
> 1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
> and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
> on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
> Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?

> 2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
> the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
> she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
> and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

> 3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
> on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
> """Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
> is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?

> 4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
> included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
> singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
> Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?

> 5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
> and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
> in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?

> 6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
> Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
> "30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
> glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?

> Please answer the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the remaining 4, where we you give the letter and you name the
> comedienne.
>
> 7. Anzr gur bevtvany pnfg zrzore sebz 1975 gb 1980 va cvpgher A,
> jub srngherq punenpgref Ebfnaar Ebfrnaanqnaan naq Onon Jnjn.
> Fur jnf zneevrq gb Trar Jvyqre jura fur qvrq ng gur ntr bs 42.

Gilda Radner

> 8. Nabgure Bevtvany Tvey ba gur fubj sebz 1975 gb 1980, cvpgher Y'f
> punenpgref vapyhqrq Celzngg Pbarurnq. Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg
> srznyr "Hcqngr" napube. Fur yngre fgneerq va "Xngr naq Nyyvr".
> Anzr ure.

Jane Curtin

> 9. """Pheerag""" pnfg zrzore cvpgher Q """vf""" bar bs gur yrnqvat
> yvtugf bs gur fubj. Punenpgref vapyhqr Gnetrg Ynql naq Tvyyl.
> Fur jnf srngherq va gur svyzf "Jnyx Uneq" naq "Xabpxrq Hc".
> Anzr guvf fgne bs gur """erprag""" uvg "Oevqrfznvqf".

Wiig

> 10. Srngherq pnfg zrzore naq urnq jevgre ba FAY, cvpgher R nyfb
> jebgr gur svyz "Zrna Tveyf" naq jevgrf naq fgnef va GI'f
> "30 Ebpx". Anzr gur orfg Fnenu Cnyva vzcrefbangbe va gur jbeyq.

Tina Fey

> And name the 4 decoy images if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Here are the picture letters in rot13:
>
> 11. T.

Ana Gasteyer

> 12. U.

Julia Sweeney

> 14. X.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

<sil5t7$10dv$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3295&group=rec.games.trivia#3295

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2021 13:37:27 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 24 Sep 2021 18:37 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. The TTC last week announced plans to install 141 specially-
> equipped payphones in 69 stations. Specially equipped with what?
>
> 2. This foul-mouthed illustrated nursery rhyme for sleep-deprived
> parents debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller
> list of advice books, and the video of Samuel L. Jackson reading
> it went viral (as the kids say) on youtube. What is the title?
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans
>
> For questions #1-9, name the person described.
>
> *Note*: for questions #1-2, I will accept the corresponding winner
> in the most recent competition, whether Manitoban or not.
>
> 1. """Last year""", this beer-loving native of Russell raced his
> skeleton to Olympic gold.
>
> 2. Which Winnipegger skipped Team Canada to curling gold at
> """this year's""" World Championship?
>
> 3. This first Governor-General to come from a background neither
> English nor French was born in Beausejour.
>
> 4. Which St-Boniface-born French-language novelist """is""" quoted
> on the Canadian $20 bill?
>
> 5. This native of Steinbach won the Governor-General's Award for
> English Fiction in 2004. She acted the part of a Mennonite
> woman in the Mexican movie "Silent Light".
>
> 6. In 2000, he voiced himself on a Simpsons episode that included
> a performance of "Takin' Care of Business". Name the
> Winnipeg-born guitarist/songwriter.

Bachmann

> 7. """Last year""", this Celtic singer/songwriter from Morden
> performed at the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics
> (during the flying-canoe segment) and released an album called
> "The Wind that Shakes the Barley".
>
> 8. This Dauphin-born fighter ace flew on the Western and Italian
> Fronts during World War I and remains Canada's most decorated
> serviceman ever. After the war, he argued successfully that
> airmen should be issued parachutes, although some senior officers
> feared this would dampen aggressive spirit.
>
> 9. This Winnipegger who loved 1929-88 achieved fame as a writer
> and filmmaker, but above all as a canoeist.
>
> 10. Andy van Hellemond has been a member of the Hockey Hall of
> Fame since 1999. Starting in 1969, the Winnipeg native has taken
> the ice in """19""" Stanley Cup Final series. In what position?

Referee

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"
>
> Please see the handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r3/snl.jpg
>
> For the first 6 questions, we name the person and give some other
> information such as when they appeared on the show, and you give
> the picture letter.
>
> 1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
> and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
> on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
> Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?

> 2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
> the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
> she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
> and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

> 3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
> on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
> """Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
> is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?

> 4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
> included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
> singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
> Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?

> 5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
> and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
> in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?

> 6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
> Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
> "30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
> glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?

> Please answer the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the remaining 4, where we you give the letter and you name the
> comedienne.
>
> 7. Anzr gur bevtvany pnfg zrzore sebz 1975 gb 1980 va cvpgher A,
> jub srngherq punenpgref Ebfnaar Ebfrnaanqnaan naq Onon Jnjn.
> Fur jnf zneevrq gb Trar Jvyqre jura fur qvrq ng gur ntr bs 42.

Gilda Radner

> 8. Nabgure Bevtvany Tvey ba gur fubj sebz 1975 gb 1980, cvpgher Y'f
> punenpgref vapyhqrq Celzngg Pbarurnq. Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg
> srznyr "Hcqngr" napube. Fur yngre fgneerq va "Xngr naq Nyyvr".
> Anzr ure.

Jane Curtin

> 9. """Pheerag""" pnfg zrzore cvpgher Q """vf""" bar bs gur yrnqvat
> yvtugf bs gur fubj. Punenpgref vapyhqr Gnetrg Ynql naq Tvyyl.
> Fur jnf srngherq va gur svyzf "Jnyx Uneq" naq "Xabpxrq Hc".
> Anzr guvf fgne bs gur """erprag""" uvg "Oevqrfznvqf".
>
> 10. Srngherq pnfg zrzore naq urnq jevgre ba FAY, cvpgher R nyfb
> jebgr gur svyz "Zrna Tveyf" naq jevgrf naq fgnef va GI'f
> "30 Ebpx". Anzr gur orfg Fnenu Cnyva vzcrefbangbe va gur jbeyq.

Tina Fey

> And name the 4 decoy images if you like for fun, but for no points.
> Here are the picture letters in rot13:
>
> 11. T.
> 12. U.
> 13. V.
> 14. X.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3: Manitobans, SNL women

<sin00f$oc7$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3296&group=rec.games.trivia#3296

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 04:09:02 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:09 UTC

On 9/22/21 9:24 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. The TTC last week announced plans to install 141 specially-
> equipped payphones in 69 stations. Specially equipped with what?
>
> 2. This foul-mouthed illustrated nursery rhyme for sleep-deprived
> parents debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller
> list of advice books, and the video of Samuel L. Jackson reading
> it went viral (as the kids say) on youtube. What is the title?
>

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans
>
> For questions #1-9, name the person described.
>
> *Note*: for questions #1-2, I will accept the corresponding winner
> in the most recent competition, whether Manitoban or not.
>
> 1. """Last year""", this beer-loving native of Russell raced his
> skeleton to Olympic gold.
>
> 2. Which Winnipegger skipped Team Canada to curling gold at
> """this year's""" World Championship?
>
> 3. This first Governor-General to come from a background neither
> English nor French was born in Beausejour.
>
> 4. Which St-Boniface-born French-language novelist """is""" quoted
> on the Canadian $20 bill?
>
> 5. This native of Steinbach won the Governor-General's Award for
> English Fiction in 2004. She acted the part of a Mennonite
> woman in the Mexican movie "Silent Light".
>
> 6. In 2000, he voiced himself on a Simpsons episode that included
> a performance of "Takin' Care of Business". Name the
> Winnipeg-born guitarist/songwriter.
>
> 7. """Last year""", this Celtic singer/songwriter from Morden
> performed at the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics
> (during the flying-canoe segment) and released an album called
> "The Wind that Shakes the Barley".
>
> 8. This Dauphin-born fighter ace flew on the Western and Italian
> Fronts during World War I and remains Canada's most decorated
> serviceman ever. After the war, he argued successfully that
> airmen should be issued parachutes, although some senior officers
> feared this would dampen aggressive spirit.

Brown

> 9. This Winnipegger who loved 1929-88 achieved fame as a writer
> and filmmaker, but above all as a canoeist.
>
> 10. Andy van Hellemond has been a member of the Hockey Hall of
> Fame since 1999. Starting in 1969, the Winnipeg native has taken
> the ice in """19""" Stanley Cup Final series. In what position?

goalie

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"
>
> Please see the handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r3/snl.jpg
>
> For the first 6 questions, we name the person and give some other
> information such as when they appeared on the show, and you give
> the picture letter.
>
> 1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
> and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
> on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
> Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?
>
> 2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
> the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
> she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
> and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)
>
> 3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
> on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
> """Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
> is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?
>
> 4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
> included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
> singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
> Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?
>
> 5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
> and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
> in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?
>
> 6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
> Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
> "30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
> glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?
>
> Please answer the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the remaining 4, where we you give the letter and you name the
> comedienne.
>
> 7. Anzr gur bevtvany pnfg zrzore sebz 1975 gb 1980 va cvpgher A,
> jub srngherq punenpgref Ebfnaar Ebfrnaanqnaan naq Onon Jnjn.
> Fur jnf zneevrq gb Trar Jvyqre jura fur qvrq ng gur ntr bs 42.

Gilda Radner

> 8. Nabgure Bevtvany Tvey ba gur fubj sebz 1975 gb 1980, cvpgher Y'f
> punenpgref vapyhqrq Celzngg Pbarurnq. Fur jnf nyfb gur svefg
> srznyr "Hcqngr" napube. Fur yngre fgneerq va "Xngr naq Nyyvr".
> Anzr ure.

Jane Curtain

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Manitobans, SNL women

<k5mdnTnNjZY0j838nZ2dnUU7-XHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3297&group=rec.games.trivia#3297

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 2-3 answers: Manitobans, SNL women
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2021 01:26:49 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 26 Sep 2021 06:26 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. The TTC last week announced plans to install 141 specially-
> equipped payphones in 69 stations. Specially equipped with what?

A button connecting callers to a suicide counselor.

> 2. This foul-mouthed illustrated nursery rhyme for sleep-deprived
> parents debuted at number one on the New York Times bestseller
> list of advice books, and the video of Samuel L. Jackson reading
> it went viral (as the kids say) on youtube. What is the title?

"Go the Fuck to Sleep". (Exact expletive not required.) Dan Blum
got this.

> * Game 6, Round 2 - Canadiana History - High-Achieving Manitobans

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> For questions #1-9, name the person described.

> *Note*: for questions #1-2, I will accept the corresponding winner
> in the most recent competition, whether Manitoban or not.

> 1. """Last year""", this beer-loving native of Russell raced his
> skeleton to Olympic gold.

2011 answer: Jon Montgomery. 2021 answer: Yun Sung-Bin (South Korea,
2018 Olympics).

> 2. Which Winnipegger skipped Team Canada to curling gold at
> """this year's""" World Championship?

2011 answer: Jeff Stoughton. 2021 answer: Niklas Edin (Sweden).

> 3. This first Governor-General to come from a background neither
> English nor French was born in Beausejour.

Edward Schreyer.

> 4. Which St-Boniface-born French-language novelist """is""" quoted
> on the Canadian $20 bill?

2011 answer: The fine-print passage on the back of the $20 reads:

Nous connaîtrions-nous
seulement un peu nous-mêmes,
sans les arts?
Gabrielle Roy (1909-1983)
Could we ever know
each other in the slightest
without the arts?

There is no 2021 answer; since the bill was redesigned in 2012,
there is no quotation on it.

> 5. This native of Steinbach won the Governor-General's Award for
> English Fiction in 2004. She acted the part of a Mennonite
> woman in the Mexican movie "Silent Light".

Miriam Toews ["Taves"].

> 6. In 2000, he voiced himself on a Simpsons episode that included
> a performance of "Takin' Care of Business". Name the
> Winnipeg-born guitarist/songwriter.

Randy Bachman. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 7. """Last year""", this Celtic singer/songwriter from Morden
> performed at the opening ceremonies of the Vancouver Olympics
> (during the flying-canoe segment) and released an album called
> "The Wind that Shakes the Barley".

Loreena McKennitt.

> 8. This Dauphin-born fighter ace flew on the Western and Italian
> Fronts during World War I and remains Canada's most decorated
> serviceman ever. After the war, he argued successfully that
> airmen should be issued parachutes, although some senior officers
> feared this would dampen aggressive spirit.

William Barker.

> 9. This Winnipegger who loved 1929-88 achieved fame as a writer
> and filmmaker, but above all as a canoeist.

Bill Mason.

> 10. Andy van Hellemond has been a member of the Hockey Hall of
> Fame since 1999. Starting in 1969, the Winnipeg native has taken
> the ice in """19""" Stanley Cup Final series. In what position?

19 times? (Still true.) Referee, of course. 4 for Pete.

> * Game 6, Round 3 - Entertainment - The Women of "Saturday Night Live"

> Please see the handout: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6r3/snl.jpg

> For the first 6 questions, we name the person and give some other
> information such as when they appeared on the show, and you give
> the picture letter.

> 1. She appeared 1986-94, featuring her impressions of Diane Sawyer
> and a particularly creepy Nancy Reagan. She left for 2 seasons
> on "Designing Women" and has """recently""" guest-starred as
> Jenna's mom on "30 Rock". Which letter is Jan Hooks?

J. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. Which letter shows Nora Dunn (1985-90), who was one half of
> the lounge act "The Sweeney Sisters" on the show? Since leaving,
> she has appeared in such movies as "Three Kings", "Air Bud 2",
> and "Zoolander". (2 out of 3 ain't bad...)

M. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. 2001-09 cast member Amy Poehler featured hilarious takes
> on Paula Abdul and Katie Couric in her comic arsenal.
> """Currently""" the star of TV's "Parks and Recreation", she
> is married to Canadian actor Will Arnett. Which letter?

C. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 4. One of the longest serving SNL cast members, her characters
> included Donatella Versace and Whitney Houston. A talented
> singer, she """is""" the daughter of Minnie Ripperton.
> Which picture shows Maya Rudolph?

A. (Still alive.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. This 1995-2000 cast member had hits with Rita the Porch Lady
> and Judge Judy. She's done some movies since but works mostly
> in voiceover for animation. Which picture shows Cheri Oteri?

F. 4 for Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Her 10 years on the show, 1996-2006, did not make Rachel
> Dratch outrageously famous. She starred in the first season of
> "30 Rock" with pal Tina Fey, but was dropped in favor of a more
> glamorous actress. Which picture shows Rachel Dratch?

B. (Replaced by Jane Krakowski.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> Please answer the above questions before decoding the rot13 for
> the remaining 4, where we you give the letter and you name the
> comedienne.

> 7. Name the original cast member from 1975 to 1980 in picture N,
> who featured characters Rosanne Roseannadanna and Baba Wawa.
> She was married to Gene Wilder when she died at the age of 42.

Gilda Radner. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Tilque.

> 8. Another Original Girl on the show from 1975 to 1980, picture L's
> characters included Prymatt Conehead. She was also the first
> female "Update" anchor. She later starred in "Kate and Allie".
> Name her.

Jane Curtin. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Tailque.

> 9. """Current""" cast member picture D """is""" one of the leading
> lights of the show. Characters include Target Lady and Gilly.
> She was featured in the films "Walk Hard" and "Knocked Up".
> Name this star of the """recent""" hit "Bridesmaids".

Kristen Wiig. (She stopped being a regular on the show in 2012.)
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. Featured cast member and head writer on SNL, picture E also
> wrote the film "Mean Girls" and writes and stars in TV's
> "30 Rock". Name the best Sarah Palin impersonator in the world.

Tina Fey. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> And name the 4 decoy images if you like for fun, but for no points...

> 11. G.

Ana Gasteyer. Joshua got this.

> 12. H.

Julia Sweeney. Joshua got this.

> 13. I.

Molly Shannon.

> 14. K.

Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Joshua got this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Can Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 4 36 40
Pete Gayde 8 32 40
Dan Blum 0 31 31
Dan Tilque 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader | Peter Neumann on Y2K:
Toronto | This problem gives new meaning to "going out on