From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Zero Fail - Carol Leonnig
Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2023 12:38:19 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Tue, 3 Jan 2023 12:38 UTC

“The president had received numerous death threats, and his aides had
succeeded, after years of prodding, to get him to accept that he needed
a bodyguard. A team of four police officers borrowed from the local
department took turns accompanying him on his travels out in public. But
his police officer the night of the play was the weakest of the group,
well known for drinking and falling asleep on the job. He left the
passageway of the president’s box so he could watch the play, then
strolled across the street to the Star Saloon to have a drink. John
Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate sympathizer who had heard of the
president’s upcoming visit to the theater, stepped behind Lincoln in his
box to the left of the stage and shot him in the head. The president
died after sunrise the next morning.”
I find this difficult to believe. I won't use Latin on it until I find
it confirmed.
Ed

Re: Zero Fail - Carol Leonnig

<tp3qir$2ff82$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=331&group=alt.language.latin#331

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Subject: Re: Zero Fail - Carol Leonnig
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 12:13:50 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Wed, 4 Jan 2023 12:13 UTC

Ed Cryer wrote:
> “The president had received numerous death threats, and his aides had
> succeeded, after years of prodding, to get him to accept that he needed
> a bodyguard. A team of four police officers borrowed from the local
> department took turns accompanying him on his travels out in public. But
> his police officer the night of the play was the weakest of the group,
> well known for drinking and falling asleep on the job. He left the
> passageway of the president’s box so he could watch the play, then
> strolled across the street to the Star Saloon to have a drink. John
> Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate sympathizer who had heard of the
> president’s upcoming visit to the theater, stepped behind Lincoln in his
> box to the left of the stage and shot him in the head. The president
> died after sunrise the next morning.”
>
> I find this difficult to believe. I won't use Latin on it until I find
> it confirmed.
>
> Ed
Malum? Quid est; unde venit; suntne gradus mali; et tot aliae de eo
quaestiones mentem quatiunt.
Hic liber faciem quandam mali patefacit quae singulariter Americana
videtur; hoc est homicidium ad famam adipiscendam commissum. Consueti
enim sumus de caedibus magnis commissis legere ab aliquo odium
invidiamque in pectore ferente. Sed quid de eis nil plus quam famam
quaerentibus? Quos, homines saepe animo infirmo, praesides Americani
alliciunt.
Edus

Re: Zero Fail - Carol Leonnig

<27835624-ba52-4db4-bd62-f066c97e171dn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=334&group=alt.language.latin#334

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2023 22:21:47 -0800 (PST)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sun, 8 Jan 2023 06:21 UTC

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 4:18:35 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Ed Cryer wrote:
> > “The president had received numerous death threats, and his aides had
> > succeeded, after years of prodding, to get him to accept that he needed
> > a bodyguard. A team of four police officers borrowed from the local
> > department took turns accompanying him on his travels out in public. But
> > his police officer the night of the play was the weakest of the group,
> > well known for drinking and falling asleep on the job. He left the
> > passageway of the president’s box so he could watch the play, then
> > strolled across the street to the Star Saloon to have a drink. John
> > Wilkes Booth, an actor and Confederate sympathizer who had heard of the
> > president’s upcoming visit to the theater, stepped behind Lincoln in his
> > box to the left of the stage and shot him in the head. The president
> > died after sunrise the next morning.”
> >
> > I find this difficult to believe. I won't use Latin on it until I find
> > it confirmed.
> >
> > Ed
> Malum? Quid est; unde venit; suntne gradus mali; et tot aliae de eo
> quaestiones mentem quatiunt.
> Hic liber faciem quandam mali patefacit quae singulariter Americana
> videtur; hoc est homicidium ad famam adipiscendam commissum. Consueti
> enim sumus de caedibus magnis commissis legere ab aliquo odium
> invidiamque in pectore ferente. Sed quid de eis nil plus quam famam
> quaerentibus? Quos, homines saepe animo infirmo, praesides Americani
> alliciunt.
>
> Edus

This article seems to confirm most of the details in Leonnig's book:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/lincolns-missing-bodyguard-12932069/