Better late than never. -- Titus Livius (Livy)

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effectsJoshua Kreitzer
`- : RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: theater, effectsMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<L6udnbQh3-Jia878nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3305&group=rec.games.trivia#3305

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 00:17:51 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 05:17 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater

The questions are about plays being performed """this summer"""
in Southern Ontario. Most """will be""" found at Stratford,
but some offerings of the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake
and one of Toronto's Soulpepper Company are featured as well.
(*Note*: although the information about 2011 is no longer current,
only the answers from that year will be accepted.)

1. Jeeves never had to go as far as the admirable Crichton,
a butler forced to take command when his employers are
shipwrecked. Who wrote the play "The Admirable Crichton"
("""at Shaw from June 22""")?

2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?

3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?

4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

5. "Hosanna"'s """at Stratford from July 26""", and we're not
referring to "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who wrote the play
"Hosanna", about a Liz Taylor impersonator?

6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
Name the play.

7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
manners widely hailed as Molière's masterpiece." Name the play,
"""at Stratford from July 31""".

8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.

9. The Shaw Festival calls this play Shaw's "epic masterpiece."
The alliterative title derives from the domicile of Captain
Shotover. What is the play?

10. This """is""" the third year in a row that Soulpepper is staging
"Billy Bishop Goes to War". Eric Peterson, as well as starring,
has had a hand in the writing; but who is the principal author?

* Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"

We describe a phenomenon, and you give its name, chosen from the
following list. Much thanks to wordspy.com.

For example, we say: "The increase in sales and perceived prestige
of Apple products based on the massive popularity of Apple's iPod
music player." And you say: "the iPod halo effect."

| birthplace effect | ground effect | placebo effect
| Bradley effect | Hall effect | Slashdot effect
| bullwhip effect | heat-island effect | spotlight effect
| butterfly effect | house-money effect | Streisand effect
| Casimir effect | iPod-halo effect | Stroop effect
| CNN effect | January effect | Wal-mart effect
| CSI effect | lake effect | watercooler effect
| decline effect | lipstick effect | wealth effect
| Doppler effect | Lucifer effect | white-coat effect
| driveway effect | Mozart effect | Zeigarnik effect
| Goldilocks effect | Nascar effect
| greenhouse effect | Oprah effect

1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
of a physician.

2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
so they can hear the end of it.

3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
in the city and the types of building materials used there.

6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
more than about half a wingspan.

7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
and lower when it is receding.

9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
ideas when they are grouped informally.

10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
condition can result in large differences to a later state.
Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

--
Mark Brader | "Forgive me if I misunderstood myself, but
Toronto | I don't think I was arguing in favour of that..."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<sj1eaq$eqi$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3306&group=rec.games.trivia#3306

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 03:14:48 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 10:14 UTC

On 9/28/21 10:17 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater
>
> The questions are about plays being performed """this summer"""
> in Southern Ontario. Most """will be""" found at Stratford,
> but some offerings of the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake
> and one of Toronto's Soulpepper Company are featured as well.
> (*Note*: although the information about 2011 is no longer current,
> only the answers from that year will be accepted.)
>
> 1. Jeeves never had to go as far as the admirable Crichton,
> a butler forced to take command when his employers are
> shipwrecked. Who wrote the play "The Admirable Crichton"
> ("""at Shaw from June 22""")?
>
> 2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
> Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?
>
> 3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
> Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?

Richard III

> 4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
> is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
> Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
> family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

The Grapes of Wrath

> 5. "Hosanna"'s """at Stratford from July 26""", and we're not
> referring to "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who wrote the play
> "Hosanna", about a Liz Taylor impersonator?
>
> 6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
> to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
> this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
> Name the play.

Love's Labor Lost

> 7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
> manners widely hailed as Molière's masterpiece." Name the play,
> """at Stratford from July 31""".
>
> 8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
> conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
> Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.
>
> 9. The Shaw Festival calls this play Shaw's "epic masterpiece."
> The alliterative title derives from the domicile of Captain
> Shotover. What is the play?
>
> 10. This """is""" the third year in a row that Soulpepper is staging
> "Billy Bishop Goes to War". Eric Peterson, as well as starring,
> has had a hand in the writing; but who is the principal author?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"
>
> We describe a phenomenon, and you give its name, chosen from the
> following list. Much thanks to wordspy.com.
>
> For example, we say: "The increase in sales and perceived prestige
> of Apple products based on the massive popularity of Apple's iPod
> music player." And you say: "the iPod halo effect."
>
> | birthplace effect | ground effect | placebo effect
> | Bradley effect | Hall effect | Slashdot effect
> | bullwhip effect | heat-island effect | spotlight effect
> | butterfly effect | house-money effect | Streisand effect
> | Casimir effect | iPod-halo effect | Stroop effect
> | CNN effect | January effect | Wal-mart effect
> | CSI effect | lake effect | watercooler effect
> | decline effect | lipstick effect | wealth effect
> | Doppler effect | Lucifer effect | white-coat effect
> | driveway effect | Mozart effect | Zeigarnik effect
> | Goldilocks effect | Nascar effect
> | greenhouse effect | Oprah effect
>
> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

white-coat effect

> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

driveway effect

> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

lipstick effect

> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

lake effect

> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

heat island effect

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

ground effect

> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect

> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect

> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

watercooler effect

> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

butterfly effect

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<sj1h8m$nq8$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3307&group=rec.games.trivia#3307

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:04:54 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 11:04 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater

> 1. Jeeves never had to go as far as the admirable Crichton,
> a butler forced to take command when his employers are
> shipwrecked. Who wrote the play "The Admirable Crichton"
> ("""at Shaw from June 22""")?

Barrie

> 2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
> Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?

Stoppard

> 3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
> Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?

Cleopatra; Lady Macbeth

> 4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
> is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
> Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
> family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

The Grapes of Wrath

> 6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
> to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
> this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
> Name the play.

Twelfth Night

> 7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
> manners widely hailed as Moli?re's masterpiece." Name the play,
> """at Stratford from July 31""".

Tartuffe

> 8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
> conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
> Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"

> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

white-coat effect

> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

driveway effect

> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

spotlight effect

> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

lake effect

> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

heat-island effect

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

ground effect

> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect

> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect

> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

watercooler effect

> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

butterfly effect

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<XnsADB4C97026154Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3308&group=rec.games.trivia#3308

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 19:48:07 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 29 Sep 2021 17:48 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"
> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

white-coat effect
> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

Driveway effect
> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

Lipstick effect
> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

Lake effect

(Although I more know it as a snow cannon.)
> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

Heat-island effect

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

Ground effect
> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect
> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect
> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

watercooler effect
> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

butterfly effect

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<sj33qe$11g8$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3309&group=rec.games.trivia#3309

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 20:27:43 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 01:27 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater
>
> The questions are about plays being performed """this summer"""
> in Southern Ontario. Most """will be""" found at Stratford,
> but some offerings of the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake
> and one of Toronto's Soulpepper Company are featured as well.
> (*Note*: although the information about 2011 is no longer current,
> only the answers from that year will be accepted.)
>
> 1. Jeeves never had to go as far as the admirable Crichton,
> a butler forced to take command when his employers are
> shipwrecked. Who wrote the play "The Admirable Crichton"
> ("""at Shaw from June 22""")?
>
> 2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
> Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?
>
> 3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
> Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?
>
> 4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
> is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
> Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
> family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

The Grapes of Wrath

> 5. "Hosanna"'s """at Stratford from July 26""", and we're not
> referring to "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who wrote the play
> "Hosanna", about a Liz Taylor impersonator?
>
> 6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
> to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
> this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
> Name the play.
>
> 7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
> manners widely hailed as Molière's masterpiece." Name the play,
> """at Stratford from July 31""".

Candide

> 8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
> conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
> Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.
>
> 9. The Shaw Festival calls this play Shaw's "epic masterpiece."
> The alliterative title derives from the domicile of Captain
> Shotover. What is the play?
>
> 10. This """is""" the third year in a row that Soulpepper is staging
> "Billy Bishop Goes to War". Eric Peterson, as well as starring,
> has had a hand in the writing; but who is the principal author?
>

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"
>
> We describe a phenomenon, and you give its name, chosen from the
> following list. Much thanks to wordspy.com.
>
> For example, we say: "The increase in sales and perceived prestige
> of Apple products based on the massive popularity of Apple's iPod
> music player." And you say: "the iPod halo effect."
>
> | birthplace effect | ground effect | placebo effect
> | Bradley effect | Hall effect | Slashdot effect
> | bullwhip effect | heat-island effect | spotlight effect
> | butterfly effect | house-money effect | Streisand effect
> | Casimir effect | iPod-halo effect | Stroop effect
> | CNN effect | January effect | Wal-mart effect
> | CSI effect | lake effect | watercooler effect
> | decline effect | lipstick effect | wealth effect
> | Doppler effect | Lucifer effect | white-coat effect
> | driveway effect | Mozart effect | Zeigarnik effect
> | Goldilocks effect | Nascar effect
> | greenhouse effect | Oprah effect
>
> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

white-coat effect

> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

driveway effect

> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

spotlight effect

> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

lake effect

> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

heat-island effect

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

ground effect

> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect

> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect

> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

watercooler effect

> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

butterfly effect

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8: theater, effects

<8cb7f7ab-12b6-46fe-8fb8-9f5337888747n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3310&group=rec.games.trivia#3310

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 22:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 30 Sep 2021 05:44 UTC

On Wednesday, September 29, 2021 at 12:17:57 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater
>
> 2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
> Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?

Pinter

> 3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
> Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?

Richard III

> 4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
> is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
> Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
> family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

"The Grapes of Wrath"

> 6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
> to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
> this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
> Name the play.

"Twelfth Night"
> 7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
> manners widely hailed as Moličre's masterpiece." Name the play,
> """at Stratford from July 31""".

"Tartuffe"; "The Misanthrope"

> 8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
> conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
> Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof"

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"
>
> We describe a phenomenon, and you give its name, chosen from the
> following list. Much thanks to wordspy.com.
>
> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

white-coat effect

> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

driveway effect

> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

spotlight effect

> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

lake effect

> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

heat-island effect

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

ground effect

> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect

> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect
> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

watercooler effect

> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

butterfly effect
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: theater, effects

<ePudnSjkCuO1lcX8nZ2dnUU7-TPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3311&group=rec.games.trivia#3311

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: : RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 7-8 answers: theater, effects
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 02:20:08 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 07:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 7 - Canadiana - Summer Theater

> The questions are about plays being performed """this summer"""
> in Southern Ontario. Most """will be""" found at Stratford,
> but some offerings of the Shaw Festival in Niagara-on-the-Lake
> and one of Toronto's Soulpepper Company are featured as well.
> (*Note*: although the information about 2011 is no longer current,
> only the answers from that year will be accepted.)

> 1. Jeeves never had to go as far as the admirable Crichton,
> a butler forced to take command when his employers are
> shipwrecked. Who wrote the play "The Admirable Crichton"
> ("""at Shaw from June 22""")?

J.M. Barrie. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. You'll find "The Homecoming" """at Stratford from July 26""".
> Which playwright wrote the parts between the pauses?

Harold Pinter. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. Her kingdom for a horse. Which Shakespearean role """is"""
> Seana McKenna essaying at Stratford?

King Richard III. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> 4. This Stratford play, like the John Steinbeck novel from which it
> is adapted, takes its title from "The Battle Hymn of the
> Republic". By what name do we know the story of the Joad
> family's migration to, and tribulations in, California?

"The Grapes of Wrath". 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 5. "Hosanna"'s """at Stratford from July 26""", and we're not
> referring to "Jesus Christ Superstar". Who wrote the play
> "Hosanna", about a Liz Taylor impersonator?

Michel Tremblay.

> 6. Viola, Olivia, Malvolio, Feste, and Orsino all appear, not
> to mention Sir Toby Belch, but there is no title character in
> this Shakespearean comedy, """at Stratford from June 26""".
> Name the play.

"Twelfth Night". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 7. "Social critic meets social butterfly in a sparkling comedy of
> manners widely hailed as Molière's masterpiece." Name the play,
> """at Stratford from July 31""".

"The Misanthrope" ("Le Misanthrope"). 2 for Joshua.

> 8. The title refers to Maggie, whose problem is that she wants to
> conceive a child by a man who can't stand her. Name the
> Tennessee Williams play """now""" in performance at Shaw.

"Cat on a Hot Tin Roof". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 9. The Shaw Festival calls this play Shaw's "epic masterpiece."
> The alliterative title derives from the domicile of Captain
> Shotover. What is the play?

"Heartbreak House".

> 10. This """is""" the third year in a row that Soulpepper is staging
> "Billy Bishop Goes to War". Eric Peterson, as well as starring,
> has had a hand in the writing; but who is the principal author?

John MacLachlan Gray.

> * Game 6, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Special "Effects"

> We describe a phenomenon, and you give its name, chosen from the
> following list. Much thanks to wordspy.com.

> For example, we say: "The increase in sales and perceived prestige
> of Apple products based on the massive popularity of Apple's iPod
> music player." And you say: "the iPod halo effect."

In the original game, this was the easiest round in the entire season.

> | birthplace effect | ground effect | placebo effect
> | Bradley effect | Hall effect | Slashdot effect
> | bullwhip effect | heat-island effect | spotlight effect
> | butterfly effect | house-money effect | Streisand effect
> | Casimir effect | iPod-halo effect | Stroop effect
> | CNN effect | January effect | Wal-mart effect
> | CSI effect | lake effect | watercooler effect
> | decline effect | lipstick effect | wealth effect
> | Doppler effect | Lucifer effect | white-coat effect
> | driveway effect | Mozart effect | Zeigarnik effect
> | Goldilocks effect | Nascar effect
> | greenhouse effect | Oprah effect

> 1. The elevation of a patient's blood pressure readings caused by
> being in a doctor's office or clinic, or by being in the presence
> of a physician.

White-coat effect. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland,
Pete, and Joshua.

> 2. The special quality exhibited by a radio program that causes
> listeners to stay in their cars after they have arrived home,
> so they can hear the end of it.

Driveway effect. 4 for everyone.

> 3. The tendency to believe that other people are paying closer
> attention to your appearance and behavior than they really are.

Spotlight effect. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> 4. Cold air moving across a large warmer body of water deposits
> large amounts of snow on the leeward shore.

Lake effect. 4 for everyone.

> 5. The difference in temperature between developed urban areas
> and surrounding rural areas, mainly due to a lack of vegetation
> in the city and the types of building materials used there.

Heat-island effect. 4 for everyone.

> 6. An increase in lift that is experienced when an aircraft flies
> extremely close to the surface of the earth, at a distance no
> more than about half a wingspan.

Ground effect. 4 for everyone.

> 7. The increase in sales or interest in an item due to the
> recommendation of a particularly influential media personality.

Oprah effect. 4 for everyone.

> 8. A police siren sounds higher-pitched when it is approaching
> and lower when it is receding.

Doppler effect. 4 for everyone.

> 9. In business, the notion that people come up with their best
> ideas when they are grouped informally.

Watercooler effect. 4 for everyone.

> 10. In chaos theory, the idea that a tiny change in an initial
> condition can result in large differences to a later state.
> Also the name of a movie starring Ashton Kutcher.

Butterfly effect. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Geo Can Mis FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 4 36 36 22 22 40 134
Dan Blum 0 31 36 14 16 40 123
Pete Gayde 8 32 12 4 4 40 92
Dan Tilque 0 8 28 0 8 36 80
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 16 0 36 56

--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."