Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2021 21:52:18 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?
From: imb...@mindspring.com (David P.)
 by: David P. - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 04:52 UTC

Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?
By Elaine Luria, 7/7/21, Wall St. Journal

U.S. defense leaders have a problem: What they say doesn’t
line up with what they do. The mismatch is apparent in the
latest Pentagon budget, and a “say-do” gap undermines the
trust of Congress and the American people.

Military leaders identify China as our No. 1 challenge,
often calling Beijing “an increasingly capable strategic
competitor,” as Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley has
warned, or a “pacing” threat. Yet the budget request reduces
the ability of the Navy and the Air Force—the services that
would have outsize roles in any conflict in the Western
Pacific—to respond to threats in that region. Meanwhile,
the budget promises undeveloped weapons that may take
decades to enter the fleet, funded by a “divest to invest”
strategy.

The Navy wants to retire 15 ships, incl. 7 guided-missile
cruisers & 4 littoral combat ships, while procuring only
2 surface combatant ships & 2 subs. (Congress’ budget draft
would buy another destroyer & limit the retirements.)
Naval aviation procurement dropped 15.6% over 2021 even as
the Navy speeds up F/A-18 retirements. The USS Ronald Reagan,
based in Japan to counter a threat from China, is overseeing
the Afghanistan withdrawal in the Middle East because no
other aircraft carrier is available. Meanwhile, China is
building warships at an astonishing rate. In 2010 the U.S.
Navy had 68 more ships than the Chinese navy. Today, it has
63 fewer, a swing of 131 ships in 10 years.

The Air Force is also following the Pentagon’s “divest to
invest” lead. Combat aircraft procurement is down 22% from
2021. The force wants to retire 137 aircraft, more than
double the number it plans to buy. After the retirement of
17 B-1s last year, the Air Force’s bomber inventory is at
a level top officers have called the bare minimum. Ammo
procurement is down more than 40%. China in recent years
has focused on procuring advanced aircraft and has the
world’s third-largest air force. In addition, China has an
extensive ground-based conventional missile force, incl.
the DF-26, known as the “carrier killer” which is capable
of striking Guam.

The defense budget tells the American people & allies that
although we say China is a threat, we aren't taking action
to respond. Take Gen. Milley’s June 17 assessment of the
threat that China will invade Taiwan: “I think the proba-
bility is probably low, in the immediate, near-term future.”

This directly contradicts statements by Adm. John Aquilino,
the Pacific combatant commander, who testified that China
could be prepared to take Taiwan by force in the next six
years: “We’ve seen things that I don’t think we expected,
& that’s why I continue to talk about a sense of urgency.”

Congress has a duty to close the “say-do” gap, whether thru
increased funding or redirecting other Pentagon dollars, &
to provide the resources needed to deter China. If you
believe Adm. Aquilino—& I do—we may not have another year
to waste.

Ms. Luria, a Democrat, represents VA’s 2nd Congressional
District. She retired as a commander after 20 years in
the U.S. Navy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-the-pentagon-take-china-seriously-11625503914

Re: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?

<9462cbcc-e11f-491f-be92-bdc303e82100n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3337&group=soc.culture.china#3337

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 06:54:27 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 13:54 UTC

On Sunday, July 11, 2021 at 12:52:20 AM UTC-4, David P. wrote:
> [...]
> to respond. Take Gen. Milley’s June 17 assessment of the
> threat that China will invade Taiwan: “I think the proba-
> bility is probably low, in the immediate, near-term future.”
>
> This directly contradicts statements by Adm. John Aquilino,
> the Pacific combatant commander, who testified that China
> could be prepared to take Taiwan by force in the next six
> years: “We’ve seen things that I don’t think we expected,
> & that’s why I continue to talk about a sense of urgency.”
>
> Congress has a duty to close the “say-do” gap, whether thru
> increased funding or redirecting other Pentagon dollars, &
> to provide the resources needed to deter China. If you
> believe Adm. Aquilino—& I do—we may not have another year
> to waste.
>
> Ms. Luria, a Democrat, represents VA’s 2nd Congressional
> District. She retired as a commander after 20 years in

Don't worry. Pentagon is working hard to get more funding. Perhaps through long
term space projects.

Re: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?

<334f9020-7722-43a6-96df-ed8c45539e3fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3349&group=soc.culture.china#3349

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 08:52:13 -0700 (PDT)
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 15:52 UTC

On Saturday, July 10, 2021 at 9:52:20 PM UTC-7, David P. wrote:
> [...]
> to respond. Take Gen. Milley’s June 17 assessment of the
> threat that China will invade Taiwan: “I think the proba-
> bility is probably low, in the immediate, near-term future.”
>
> This directly contradicts statements by Adm. John Aquilino,
> the Pacific combatant commander, who testified that China
> could be prepared to take Taiwan by force in the next six
> years: “We’ve seen things that I don’t think we expected,
> & that’s why I continue to talk about a sense of urgency.”
>
> Congress has a duty to close the “say-do” gap, whether thru
> increased funding or redirecting other Pentagon dollars, &
> to provide the resources needed to deter China. If you
> believe Adm. Aquilino—& I do—we may not have another year
> to waste.
>
> Ms. Luria, a Democrat, represents VA’s 2nd Congressional
> District. She retired as a commander after 20 years in

How can we compete against 1.4 billion Chinese, all wanting to be millionaires? China is known as the "factory to the world"!!! Everything is "made-in-China"!!!!

China's policemen don't wear guns, and yet, we call China a "police-state"!!!! Our police killed almost every single day in our cities, and yet call ourselves a "free and democratic country"...

Re: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously? [Short v. LONG term perspective]

<anfi+jhtujgo7mf-l7b0@wp.eu>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3350&group=soc.culture.china#3350

From: anf...@wp.eu (A. Filip)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Subject: Re: Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously? [Short v. LONG term perspective]
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:06:45 +0000 (UTC)
sha1:CgKvM6cqtYXGZI/ejXwyYPOHLIg=
 by: A. Filip - Sun, 11 Jul 2021 16:06 UTC

"David P." <imbibe@mindspring.com> wrote:
> Does the Pentagon Take China Seriously?
> By Elaine Luria, 7/7/21, Wall St. Journal
>
> U.S. defense leaders have a problem: What they say doesn’t
> line up with what they do. The mismatch is apparent in the
> latest Pentagon budget, and a “say-do” gap undermines the
> trust of Congress and the American people.
>
> Military leaders identify China as our No. 1 challenge,
> often calling Beijing “an increasingly capable strategic
> competitor,” as Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley has
> warned, or a “pacing” threat. Yet the budget request reduces
> the ability of the Navy and the Air Force—the services that
> would have outsize roles in any conflict in the Western
> Pacific—to respond to threats in that region. Meanwhile,
> the budget promises undeveloped weapons that may take
> decades to enter the fleet, funded by a “divest to invest”
> strategy.
[…]
> https://www.wsj.com/articles/does-the-pentagon-take-china-seriously-11625503914

*Long* term US strategy without "a nuclear war at the end" *SHOULD*
concentrate on team work/alliance(s). Otherwise there may be too strong
push for "a (final) military solution" before GDP of PRC surpasses GDP
of US (I treat it as the base scenario - the most likely but not the
only quite likely).

A few years perspective should not lead *wise persons* to defeat after a
few decades. Playing for *LONG* "standoff" is safer for the world *too*.

--
A. Filip : Big Tech Brother is watching you.