The only reward of virtue is virtue. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

interests / rec.motorcycles.harley / Re: sturgis

SubjectAuthor
* sturgisJohn
`* Re: sturgisGreg Carr
 `* Re: sturgisJohn
  `* Re: sturgisFrank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous
   +- Re: sturgisJohn
   `* Re: sturgissticks
    `* Re: sturgisSnag
     `- Re: sturgissticks

1
sturgis

<tp5985$7e9$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=327&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#327

From: sil...@snot.add (John)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Subject: sturgis
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 20:30:44 -0500
 by: John - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 01:30 UTC

"mount gay rum is open and on the bar"

i haven't been there... yet
thinking about going to the area last week of July
till 1st week of august..
any interesting spots that are off the beaten
path all y'all's can recommend?
john

Re: sturgis

<757582b6-3580-4560-9ab6-98b268bb8d67n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=328&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#328

Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2023 20:48:57 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: sturgis
From: gregcarr...@gmail.com (Greg Carr)
 by: Greg Carr - Thu, 5 Jan 2023 04:48 UTC

On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 5:30:48 PM UTC-8, John wrote:
> "mount gay rum is open and on the bar"
>
> i haven't been there... yet
> thinking about going to the area last week of July
> till 1st week of august..
> any interesting spots that are off the beaten
> path all y'all's can recommend?
> john

Enjoy your trip and help the Sturgis economy.

Re: sturgis

<tpsv6b$1p29$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=331&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#331

From: not...@dis.add (John)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 20:06:18 -0500
 by: John - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 01:06 UTC

On 1/4/23 11:48 PM, Greg Carr wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 5:30:48 PM UTC-8, John wrote:
>> "mount gay rum is open and on the bar"
>>
>> i haven't been there... yet
>> thinking about going to the area last week of July
>> till 1st week of august..
>> any interesting spots that are off the beaten
>> path all y'all's can recommend?
>> john
>
> Enjoy your trip and help the Sturgis economy.

I expect to have a fun trip & pump some $$ into locals pockets.
pretty much never pass a home made sign... you meet the most
interesting folks that way
john
take the road less traveled... R.Frost

Re: sturgis

<tq1207$pth$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=332&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#332

From: frankthe...@earthlink.net (Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 08:20:20 -0600
 by: Frank Xzarhadjizamth - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:20 UTC

On 1/13/2023 7:06 PM, John wrote:
> On 1/4/23 11:48 PM, Greg Carr wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 4, 2023 at 5:30:48 PM UTC-8, John wrote:
>>> "mount gay rum is open and on the bar"
>>>
>>> i haven't been there... yet
>>> thinking about going to the area last week of July
>>> till 1st week of august..
>>> any interesting spots that are off the beaten
>>> path all y'all's can recommend?
>>> john
>>
>> Enjoy your trip and help the Sturgis economy.
>>
> I expect to have a fun trip & pump some $$ into locals pockets.
> pretty much never pass a home made sign... you meet the most
> interesting folks that way
> john
>     take the road less traveled... R.Frost

I've never been there during the rally. Been there a few times off
season when there wasn't anyone around. I'm not fond of big crowds. Not
afraid of 'em...I just don't like 'em. Each time was in the car, so we
didn't explore a lot of the area. Just took main roads here and there
and to nearby towns. I *do* like that part of the country.

Wish I had some pointers or suggestions for things to see/do, but I
don't. I will drink some of your rum, though! <grin>

Andy aka FtRB

Re: sturgis

<tq18a9$1k8q$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=333&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#333

From: sil...@snot.add (John)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 11:06:32 -0500
 by: John - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 16:06 UTC

On 1/15/23 9:20 AM, Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous wrote:
> On 1/13/2023 7:06 PM, John wrote:

>>> Enjoy your trip and help the Sturgis economy.
>>>
>> I expect to have a fun trip & pump some $$ into locals pockets.
>> pretty much never pass a home made sign... you meet the most
>> interesting folks that way
>> john
>>      take the road less traveled... R.Frost
>
> I've never been there during the rally. Been there a few times off
> season when there wasn't anyone around. I'm not fond of big crowds. Not
> afraid of 'em...I just don't like 'em. Each time was in the car, so we
> didn't explore a lot of the area. Just took main roads here and there
> and to nearby towns. I *do* like that part of the country.
>
> Wish I had some pointers or suggestions for things to see/do, but I
> don't. I will drink some of your rum, though! <grin>
>
> Andy aka FtRB

hear ya on the not fond of crowds!
I have been to NYC, enjoyed it for an afternoon, then had
enough big city stuff and left. too many people for my taste.
The goal is to see the countryside and one of the younger guys
in the group wants to be there during some of sturgis
sillyness (guessing some kind of mid life crises??)
the 4 of us plan to rent a house about hour west of there & use
as base camp for day rides, & soak in hot tub to unwind...
might sneak up to Montana to visit a bush pilot friend of mine.
all depends on weather & how long the play money holds out..
john
it's the weekend, 1/2 bottle of e h taylor is
on the bar, help yourself.

Re: sturgis

<tqbvh6$1kriu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=336&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#336

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 11:44:05 -0600
 by: sticks - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 17:44 UTC

On 1/15/2023 8:20 AM, Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous wrote:
> On 1/13/2023 7:06 PM, John wrote:

>>> Enjoy your trip and help the Sturgis economy.
>>>
>> I expect to have a fun trip & pump some $$ into locals pockets.
>> pretty much never pass a home made sign... you meet the most
>> interesting folks that way
>> john
>>      take the road less traveled... R.Frost
>
> I've never been there during the rally. Been there a few times off
> season when there wasn't anyone around. I'm not fond of big crowds. Not
> afraid of 'em...I just don't like 'em. Each time was in the car, so we
> didn't explore a lot of the area. Just took main roads here and there
> and to nearby towns. I *do* like that part of the country.
>
> Wish I had some pointers or suggestions for things to see/do, but I
> don't. I will drink some of your rum, though! <grin>
>
> Andy aka FtRB

I'll take some of that rum and get the next round!

My in-laws live in the Hills. BIL lives in Rapid City and FIL and MIL
in an area between Custer and Pringle. They HATE it when the rally is
going on and prefer to come and visit us when it is going. The problem
is that the roads are so congested you can't fucking get anywhere.
They're two lane and get really clogged up. Other than the State
routes, lots of what looks like interesting roads turn out to be
unpaved. My FIL is 8 miles to the nearest paved road. I too hate
crowds, and if I was to go to Sturgis during the rally, it would be in a
cage. Not an atmosphere I want to ride in. Wife has been there during
the rally, and I would like to be able to do it, just not on a bike.
When I go to South Dakota, it is during the off season. Went there two
years ago on a dog hunt with 6 others, had an Indian guide and had a
great time. Went one year around the Christmas holidays, actually went
dog hunting on Christmas in 60 degree weather, and had a great time.
Nobody at Rushmore at the time.
If you do go and are able to hike, I suggest doing what for ages was
called Harney Peak. It's the one you see on commercial for tourists and
is the highest point in South Dakota. It got renamed in this damn woke
era because the guy it was named after fought Indians. Whatever. It's
not that long of a hike, and though not flat, it's pretty manageable for
most people.
Other than that, go shoot some varmints, and drink lots of beer.

sticks

Re: sturgis

<tqcdr9$1ndns$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=338&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#338

From: Snag_...@msn.com (Snag)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 15:48:37 -0600
 by: Snag - Thu, 19 Jan 2023 21:48 UTC

On 1/19/2023 11:44 AM, sticks wrote:
> On 1/15/2023 8:20 AM, Frank Xzarhadjizamtheopolous wrote:

>>> I expect to have a fun trip & pump some $$ into locals pockets.
>>> pretty much never pass a home made sign... you meet the most
>>> interesting folks that way
>>> john
>>>      take the road less traveled... R.Frost
>>
>> I've never been there during the rally. Been there a few times off
>> season when there wasn't anyone around. I'm not fond of big crowds.
>> Not afraid of 'em...I just don't like 'em. Each time was in the car,
>> so we didn't explore a lot of the area. Just took main roads here and
>> there and to nearby towns. I *do* like that part of the country.
>>
>> Wish I had some pointers or suggestions for things to see/do, but I
>> don't. I will drink some of your rum, though! <grin>
>>
>> Andy aka FtRB
>
> I'll take some of that rum and get the next round!
>
> My in-laws live in the Hills.  BIL lives in Rapid City and FIL and MIL
> in an area between Custer and Pringle.  They HATE it when the rally is
> going on and prefer to come and visit us when it is going.  The problem
> is that the roads are so congested you can't fucking get anywhere.
> They're two lane and get really clogged up.  Other than the State
> routes, lots of what looks like interesting roads turn out to be
> unpaved.  My FIL is 8 miles to the nearest paved road.  I too hate
> crowds, and if I was to go to Sturgis during the rally, it would be in a
> cage.  Not an atmosphere I want to ride in.  Wife has been there during
> the rally, and I would like to be able to do it, just not on a bike.
> When I go to South Dakota, it is during the off season.  Went there two
> years ago on a dog hunt with 6 others, had an Indian guide and had a
> great time.  Went one year around the Christmas holidays, actually went
> dog hunting on Christmas in 60 degree weather, and had a great time.
> Nobody at Rushmore at the time.
> If you do go and are able to hike, I suggest doing what for ages was
> called Harney Peak.  It's the one you see on commercial for tourists and
> is the highest point in South Dakota.  It got renamed in this damn woke
> era because the guy it was named after fought Indians.  Whatever.  It's
> not that long of a hike, and though not flat, it's pretty manageable for
> most people.
> Other than that, go shoot some varmints, and drink lots of beer.
>
> sticks

I assume you mean prairy dogs ... how do they compare to rockchucks ?
Useta hunt those when I lived in Utahahaha . "Pink mist at 350 yards sir !"
--
Snag
"You can lead a dummy to facts

Re: sturgis

<tqh05f$2kuc6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=340&group=rec.motorcycles.harley#340

From: wolverin...@charter.net (sticks)
Newsgroups: rec.motorcycles.harley
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 09:25:36 -0600
 by: sticks - Sat, 21 Jan 2023 15:25 UTC

On 1/19/2023 3:48 PM, Snag wrote:
> On 1/19/2023 11:44 AM, sticks wrote:

>>> I've never been there during the rally. Been there a few times off
>>> season when there wasn't anyone around. I'm not fond of big crowds.
>>> Not afraid of 'em...I just don't like 'em. Each time was in the car,
>>> so we didn't explore a lot of the area. Just took main roads here and
>>> there and to nearby towns. I *do* like that part of the country.
>>>
>>> Wish I had some pointers or suggestions for things to see/do, but I
>>> don't. I will drink some of your rum, though! <grin>
>>>
>>> Andy aka FtRB
>>
>> I'll take some of that rum and get the next round!
>>
>> My in-laws live in the Hills.  BIL lives in Rapid City and FIL and MIL
>> in an area between Custer and Pringle.  They HATE it when the rally is
>> going on and prefer to come and visit us when it is going.  The
>> problem is that the roads are so congested you can't fucking get
>> anywhere. They're two lane and get really clogged up.  Other than the
>> State routes, lots of what looks like interesting roads turn out to be
>> unpaved.  My FIL is 8 miles to the nearest paved road.  I too hate
>> crowds, and if I was to go to Sturgis during the rally, it would be in
>> a cage.  Not an atmosphere I want to ride in.  Wife has been there
>> during the rally, and I would like to be able to do it, just not on a
>> bike.
>> When I go to South Dakota, it is during the off season.  Went there
>> two years ago on a dog hunt with 6 others, had an Indian guide and had
>> a great time.  Went one year around the Christmas holidays, actually
>> went dog hunting on Christmas in 60 degree weather, and had a great
>> time. Nobody at Rushmore at the time.
>> If you do go and are able to hike, I suggest doing what for ages was
>> called Harney Peak.  It's the one you see on commercial for tourists
>> and is the highest point in South Dakota.  It got renamed in this damn
>> woke era because the guy it was named after fought Indians.
>> Whatever.  It's not that long of a hike, and though not flat, it's
>> pretty manageable for most people.
>> Other than that, go shoot some varmints, and drink lots of beer.
>>
>> sticks
>
>   I assume you mean prairy dogs ... how do they compare to rockchucks ?
> Useta hunt those when I lived in Utahahaha . "Pink mist at 350 yards sir !"

Prairie dogs, yes. The marmots are quite a bit bigger than dogs, 2-4
lbs vs 3-11 lbs. The rockchucks usually live at much higher elevations
that dogs do. Saw them up in Glacier National Park several times just
sitting there watching. I think they also have a reputation of being a
little more people friendly, whereas prairie dogs run and hide pretty
quick. 30 years ago wife had one for a pet. I was always a little shy
of those huge fucking teeth, but it never did bite me.
Either way, they're a major problem if they infest your fields.

I've hunted on privately owned lands and on Indian owned lands. Totally
different experiences. On the private lands, we opened the gate and
drove through a field slowly, and didn't even get out of the truck. By
the time you get back around, they're standing back on the hills
taunting you again. Great fun. Did this using 22mag cal rifles.
On the Indian owned lands, they got some special rules they have to
follow, but are allowed to have these hunts to help rid their lands of
the vermin. I think the guides keep monitoring areas and when they get
buggered up, they bring in the hunters. You have to get a license and a
buy a pass for being on the reservation, though I can't remember exactly
how that worked. Out there, much bigger guns were used. I had
everything from the 22 mag, AR-.223, up to a Browning .243 lever action.
My buddies were crazier with several 308's and all the way up to a
Barret 50 cal. A 308 throws it in the air about 20 feet. A 50 cal just
amazingly leaves a hole. Goes through so fast and hard it just kills
it. Problem when you use the bigger guns is they start popping under
quicker with the noise, requiring longer distance shooting. Wouldn't
want to do it all the time, but it was fun.