Every day it's the same thing -- variety. I want something different.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeErland Sommarskog
|`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
| `* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeErland Sommarskog
|  `* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
|   `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
+* RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
|`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
| `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengePete Gayde
 `* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader
  `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<npSdnabpX840lcX8nZ2dnUU7-N_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3312&group=rec.games.trivia#3312

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 02:22:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 07:22 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities

Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
(*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)

1. Juventus.
2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.
3. Whitecaps.
4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].
5. Benfica.
6. Boca Juniors.
7. Spartak.
8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.
9. América.
10. Galatasaray.

** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Inuktitut Place Names

We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
English name.

A1. Kuujjuaq; 1980; the administrative capital of Nunavik on
Ungava Bay.

A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

* B. David Letterman's Top 10

Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
"""topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.

B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
a hole in the head". Whose?

B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

* C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions

Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
across the country.

C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png
C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png

* D. Poets Laureate of Toronto

D1. Who was Toronto's first Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2004?
Books include "Garbage Delight", "Bubblegum Delicious",
and "The Cat and the Wizard".

D2. Who is Toronto's """current""" Poet Laureate? Her collections
include "No Language is Neutral"; the G-G winner "Land to
Light On"; and "Ossuaries", which won the Griffin Prize
"""earlier this month""".

* E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town

These questions are about other international multi-sport events.

E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
"""have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

E2. After the Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, Ted Turner
decided to promote peace and harmony by creating his own
international multi-sport event. Held more or less every
4 years from 1986 to 2001, what was it called?

* F. MBA Programs

We give the name of the MBA program; you mame the university.

F1. Asper School of Business, named after the founder of CanWest.
F2. Richard Ivey School of Business.

--
Mark Brader "Computers get paid to extract relevant
Toronto information from files; people should not

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<db8458ee-eb1d-4477-ba80-e955c5ee6b2en@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3313&group=rec.games.trivia#3313

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 00:34:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 07:34 UTC

On Saturday, October 2, 2021 at 2:22:23 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities
>
> Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
> based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
> world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
> 2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
> (*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
> that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)
>
> 1. Juventus.

Milan; Turin

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Edinburgh

> 3. Whitecaps.

Vancouver

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam

> 6. Boca Juniors.

Buenos Aires

> 7. Spartak.

Moscow

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Paris

> 9. América.

Mexico City

> 10. Galatasaray.

Bilbao

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Inuktitut Place Names
>
> We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
> into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
> English name.
>
> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

Frobisher Bay

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10
>
> Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
> """topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.
>
> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama Bin Laden
> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Barack Obama

> * C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions
>
> Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> across the country.
>
> C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png

Kenken

> C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png

Kajuro

> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town
>
> These questions are about other international multi-sport events.
>
> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

Portuguese-speaking countries
> E2. After the Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, Ted Turner
> decided to promote peace and harmony by creating his own
> international multi-sport event. Held more or less every
> 4 years from 1986 to 2001, what was it called?

Goodwill Games

> * F. MBA Programs
>
> We give the name of the MBA program; you mame the university.
> F1. Asper School of Business, named after the founder of CanWest.

University of British Columbia; University of Western Ontario

> F2. Richard Ivey School of Business.

University of British Columbia; University of Western Ontario

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<XnsADB7708361F42Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3314&group=rec.games.trivia#3314

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 2021 11:03:37 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 09:03 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities
>
> 1. Juventus.

Torino

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Edinburgh

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam

> 5. Benfica.

Lisboa

> 6. Boca Juniors.

Buenos Aires

> 7. Spartak.

MOCKBA

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Marseilles

> 9. América.

Ciudad de México

> 10. Galatasaray.

Istanbul

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town
>
> These questions are about other international multi-sport events.
>
> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

Those that have Portoguese as an offical language

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<sj9aqg$7k9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3315&group=rec.games.trivia#3315

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 03:03:58 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 10:03 UTC

On 10/2/21 12:22 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities
>
> Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
> based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
> world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
> 2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
> (*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
> that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)
>
> 1. Juventus.
> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Glasgow; Edinburgh

> 3. Whitecaps.

Vancouver BC

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].
> 5. Benfica.
> 6. Boca Juniors.
> 7. Spartak.
> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.
> 9. América.
> 10. Galatasaray.
>

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Inuktitut Place Names
>
> We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
> into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
> English name.
>
> A1. Kuujjuaq; 1980; the administrative capital of Nunavik on
> Ungava Bay.
>
> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

Frobisher Bay

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10
>
> Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
> """topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.
>
> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama bin Laden

> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Barack Obama

> * C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions
>
> Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> across the country.
>
> C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png
> C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png
>

> * D. Poets Laureate of Toronto
>
> D1. Who was Toronto's first Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2004?
> Books include "Garbage Delight", "Bubblegum Delicious",
> and "The Cat and the Wizard".
>
> D2. Who is Toronto's """current""" Poet Laureate? Her collections
> include "No Language is Neutral"; the G-G winner "Land to
> Light On"; and "Ossuaries", which won the Griffin Prize
> """earlier this month""".
>

> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town
>
> These questions are about other international multi-sport events.
>
> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

countries that speak Portuguese

> E2. After the Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, Ted Turner
> decided to promote peace and harmony by creating his own
> international multi-sport event. Held more or less every
> 4 years from 1986 to 2001, what was it called?

Goodwill Games

> * F. MBA Programs
>
> We give the name of the MBA program; you mame the university.
>
> F1. Asper School of Business, named after the founder of CanWest.
> F2. Richard Ivey School of Business.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<sj9o0h$cv4$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3316&group=rec.games.trivia#3316

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2021 13:49:05 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 2 Oct 2021 13:49 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities

> 1. Juventus.

Rome

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Glasgow; Edinburgh

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam

> 7. Spartak.

Athens; Thessaloniki

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Thessaloniki; Athens

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Inuktitut Place Names

> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

Whitehorse

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10

> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama Bin Laden

> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Barack Obama

> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town

> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

those where Portuguese is a primary language

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<0bydnRD_qvNep8f8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3317&group=rec.games.trivia#3317

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 18:20:35 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:20 UTC

Mark Brader:
> > 7. Spartak.

Erland Sommarskog:
> MOCKBA

Don't do this again, okay? This game is conducted in English and in
ASCII or ISO 8859-1 characters.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You can write a small letter to Grandma
msb@vex.net | in the filename." -- Forbes Burkowski

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<avadnftpxOu0Gsf8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3318&group=rec.games.trivia#3318

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 23:46:33 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:46 UTC

Mark Brader:

*****BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*****
***** REMOVE ANSWERS *****
***** REMOVE REFERENCES *****
***** ADD ./mime *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CHECK HANDOUT/URL *****
**********************************

******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
***** ADD ./mime *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
**********************************

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities

> Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
> based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
> world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
> 2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
> (*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
> that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)

> 1. Juventus.

Turin. 4 for Erland. 2 for Joshua.

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Edinburgh. 4 for Joshua and Erland. 2 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 3. Whitecaps.

Vancouver. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Benfica.

Lisbon. 4 for Erland.

> 6. Boca Juniors.

Buenos Aires. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 7. Spartak.

Moscow. 4 for Joshua and EP/\aHd.

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Marseille, Lyon. 4 for Erland.

> 9. Am�rica.

Mexico City. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 10. Galatasaray.

Istanbul. 4 for Erland.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Inuktitut Place Names

> We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
> into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
> English name.

> A1. Kuujjuaq; 1980; the administrative capital of Nunavik on
> Ungava Bay.

Fort Chimo. I didn't know it either.

> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

Frobisher Bay. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10

> Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
> """topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.

> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama bin Laden. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Barack Obama. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions

> Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> across the country.

> C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png

KenKen, KenDoku, or Calcudoku. 4 for Joshua.

I get the solution:

5 4 3 1 6 2
4 6 5 2 3 1
3 2 1 4 5 6
1 3 6 5 2 4
6 1 2 3 4 5
2 5 4 6 1 3

> C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png

Kakuro. I accepted "Kakuro". 4 for Joshua.

I tried solving this one too, but it seemed much more tedious to
me than the other. So I turned it over to the kakuro solver that
I found at dcode.fr, and in about 1 second it came up with:

- - - - - - - - - -
- - 9 2 5 - 1 9 2 -
- 2 8 9 6 - 5 4 3 2
- 9 7 - 8 4 - - 1 6
- 3 4 2 1 7 - 5 7 3
- - - 3 7 9 2 4 - -
- 1 2 9 - 5 7 9 2 8
- 8 3 - - 1 4 - 7 6
- 7 9 2 6 - 3 2 1 4
- - 5 7 4 - 1 5 3 -

> * D. Poets Laureate of Toronto

> D1. Who was Toronto's first Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2004?
> Books include "Garbage Delight", "Bubblegum Delicious",
> and "The Cat and the Wizard".

Dennis Lee.

> D2. Who is Toronto's """current""" Poet Laureate? Her collections
> include "No Language is Neutral"; the G-G winner "Land to
> Light On"; and "Ossuaries", which won the Griffin Prize
> """earlier this month""".

2011 answer: Dionne Brand. 2021 answer: Al Moritz.

Click here to read the complete article
RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challenge

<PICdnWW3wMBzGsf8nZ2dnUU7-UvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3319&group=rec.games.trivia#3319

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <avadnftpxOu0Gsf8nZ2dnUU7-Q_NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2021 23:49:50 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 04:49 UTC

Sorry about the unfinished posting that accidentally went out just
before this one.

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 6 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by a sizable margin.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities

> Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
> based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
> world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
> 2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
> (*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
> that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)

> 1. Juventus.

Turin. 4 for Erland. 2 for Joshua.

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Edinburgh. 4 for Joshua and Erland. 2 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum.

> 3. Whitecaps.

Vancouver. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 5. Benfica.

Lisbon. 4 for Erland.

> 6. Boca Juniors.

Buenos Aires. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 7. Spartak.

Moscow. 4 for Joshua and EP/\AHd.

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Marseille, Lyon. 4 for Erland.

> 9. América.

Mexico City. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 10. Galatasaray.

Istanbul. 4 for Erland.

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Inuktitut Place Names

> We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
> into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
> English name.

> A1. Kuujjuaq; 1980; the administrative capital of Nunavik on
> Ungava Bay.

Fort Chimo. I didn't know it either.

> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.

Frobisher Bay. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10

> Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
> """topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.

> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama bin Laden. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Barack Obama. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> * C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions

> Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> across the country.

> C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png

KenKen, KenDoku, or Calcudoku. 4 for Joshua.

I get the solution:

5 4 3 1 6 2
4 6 5 2 3 1
3 2 1 4 5 6
1 3 6 5 2 4
6 1 2 3 4 5
2 5 4 6 1 3

> C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png

Kakuro. I accepted "Kakuro". 4 for Joshua.

I tried solving this one too, but it seemed much more tedious to
me than the other. So I turned it over to the kakuro solver that
I found at dcode.fr, and in about 1 second it came up with:

- - - - - - - - - -
- - 9 2 5 - 1 9 2 -
- 2 8 9 6 - 5 4 3 2
- 9 7 - 8 4 - - 1 6
- 3 4 2 1 7 - 5 7 3
- - - 3 7 9 2 4 - -
- 1 2 9 - 5 7 9 2 8
- 8 3 - - 1 4 - 7 6
- 7 9 2 6 - 3 2 1 4
- - 5 7 4 - 1 5 3 -

> * D. Poets Laureate of Toronto

> D1. Who was Toronto's first Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2004?
> Books include "Garbage Delight", "Bubblegum Delicious",
> and "The Cat and the Wizard".

Dennis Lee.

> D2. Who is Toronto's """current""" Poet Laureate? Her collections
> include "No Language is Neutral"; the G-G winner "Land to
> Light On"; and "Ossuaries", which won the Griffin Prize
> """earlier this month""".

2011 answer: Dionne Brand. 2021 answer: Al Moritz.

> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town

> These questions are about other international multi-sport events.

> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?

Portuguese-speaking ones (or former Portuguese colonies).
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

It appears that only three sets of these games have been held.
The third occasion had to be postponed and the fourth one ran into
worse trouble.

> E2. After the Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, Ted Turner
> decided to promote peace and harmony by creating his own
> international multi-sport event. Held more or less every
> 4 years from 1986 to 2001, what was it called?

The Goodwill Games. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * F. MBA Programs

> We give the name of the MBA program; you mame the university.

> F1. Asper School of Business, named after the founder of CanWest.

University of Manitoba.

> F2. Richard Ivey School of Business.

University of Western Ontario. 2 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Geo Can Mis Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 36 36 22 22 40 26 30 190
Dan Blum 0 31 36 14 16 40 6 12 149
Dan Tilque 0 8 28 0 8 36 6 20 106
Pete Gayde 8 32 12 4 4 40 -- -- 100
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 16 0 36 36 4 96

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, msb@vex.net | "...but I could be wromg." --Rodney Boyd

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<XnsADB9CC317F164Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3322&group=rec.games.trivia#3322

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 20:04:22 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 18:04 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Mark Brader:
>> > 7. Spartak.
>
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> MOCKBA
>
> Don't do this again, okay? This game is conducted in English and in
> ASCII or ISO 8859-1 characters.

I don't see any non-ASCII characters there. Do you?

(And, alas, my newsreader is not capable of the full Unicode set,
so it will not stray out of Latin-1.)

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<EqidnYi2hujvwsb8nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3324&group=rec.games.trivia#3324

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2021 15:09:22 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 4 Oct 2021 20:09 UTC

Erland Sommarskog:
>>> MOCKBA

Mark Brader:
>> Don't do this again, okay? This game is conducted in English and in
>> ASCII or ISO 8859-1 characters.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I don't see any non-ASCII characters there. Do you?

Oh, I thought it was an attempt to use Cyrillic. If you meant Mockba,
you get 0 on this question.

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Geo Can Mis Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 36 36 22 22 40 26 30 190
Dan Blum 0 31 36 14 16 40 6 12 149
Dan Tilque 0 8 28 0 8 36 6 20 106
Pete Gayde 8 32 12 4 4 40 -- -- 100
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 16 0 36 32 4 94
--
Mark Brader "Hacking for 8 years gives a guy a memory.
Toronto If you was with a woman -- I'd've noticed."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<sjglmq$n67$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3326&group=rec.games.trivia#3326

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 23:52:41 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 04:52 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 6, Round 9 - Sports Geography - Soccer Cities
>
> Given the name of the team, tell us the city where it """is"""
> based. Note: there are plenty of Uniteds and FCs all over the
> world, so to avoid multiple answers, these questions pertain only to
> 2011 first-division clubs from Europe and North and South America.
> (*Note*: And since that's what we're talking about, only the answers
> that were correct in 2011 will be accepted.)
>
> 1. Juventus.

Turin

> 2. Hearts, or the Heart of Midlothian.

Edinburgh

> 3. Whitecaps.

Vancouver

> 4. Ajax ["EYE-ax"].

Amsterdam

> 5. Benfica.

Lisbon

> 6. Boca Juniors.

Buenos Aires

> 7. Spartak.

Moscow

> 8. Olympique. Give *either one* of two possible answers.

Marseilles

> 9. América.

Mexico City

> 10. Galatasaray.

Istanbul

> ** Game 6, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Inuktitut Place Names
>
> We give you the current Inuit name, the year that it came
> into use, and a little extra info; you give us the former
> English name.
>
> A1. Kuujjuaq; 1980; the administrative capital of Nunavik on
> Ungava Bay.
>
> A2. Iqaluit; 1987; capital of Nunavut.
>

> * B. David Letterman's Top 10
>
> Given one item from David Letterman's top 10, you tell us what
> """topical""" newsmaker he's talking about.
>
> B1. According to a Top 10 list in May 2011, this man's last
> words were: "I need a house full of Navy SEALs like I need
> a hole in the head". Whose?

Osama bin Laden

> B2. According to a list in April 2011, one of the top 10
> surprises found on this person's birth certificate was the
> phrase "Notarized by Magnum P.I." Who is this referring to?

Tom Selleck

> * C. Syndicated Newspaper Diversions
>
> Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> across the country.
>
> C1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C1.png
> C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png
>

> * D. Poets Laureate of Toronto
>
> D1. Who was Toronto's first Poet Laureate from 2001 to 2004?
> Books include "Garbage Delight", "Bubblegum Delicious",
> and "The Cat and the Wizard".
>
> D2. Who is Toronto's """current""" Poet Laureate? Her collections
> include "No Language is Neutral"; the G-G winner "Land to
> Light On"; and "Ossuaries", which won the Griffin Prize
> """earlier this month""".
>

> * E. Olympics Ain't the Only Games in Town
>
> These questions are about other international multi-sport events.
>
> E1. The Lusophony or Lusofonia Games started in 2006, and
> """have been held twice""". What countries """are"""
> eligible to compete in the Lusophony Games?
>
> E2. After the Olympic boycotts in 1980 and 1984, Ted Turner
> decided to promote peace and harmony by creating his own
> international multi-sport event. Held more or less every
> 4 years from 1986 to 2001, what was it called?
>

> * F. MBA Programs
>
> We give the name of the MBA program; you mame the university.
>
> F1. Asper School of Business, named after the founder of CanWest.

Okanagan

> F2. Richard Ivey School of Business.

Okanagan

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<x_mdnVMAT5U8Qsb8nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3327&group=rec.games.trivia#3327

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 00:16:17 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:16 UTC

If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
40 points on Round 9 and 4 points on Round 10 for a final score of 136,
which would have placed 3rd.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Common sense isn't any more common on Usenet
msb@vex.net | than it is anywhere else." --Henry Spencer

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<k8qdne40bsKHfMb8nZ2dnUU7-fHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3328&group=rec.games.trivia#3328

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 00:22:34 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 05:22 UTC

Mark Brader:
> If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
> 40 points on Round 9 and 4 points on Round 10 for a final score of 136,
> which would have placed 3rd.

Oops, disregard that! Pete's answers *were* on time, but I miscounted
days again, this time scoring the contest early rather than late. They
are accepted, assuming that Pete didn't cheat by looking at the answers
I posted.

I also miscomputed Erland's total when adjusting his score before.

Sorry about all that, folks.

Scores, if there are *now* no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Ent Sci Geo Can Mis Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 4 36 36 22 22 40 26 30 190
Dan Blum 0 31 36 14 16 40 6 12 149
Pete Gayde 8 32 12 4 4 40 40 4 136
Dan Tilque 0 8 28 0 8 36 6 20 106
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 4 16 0 36 32 4 92

--
Mark Brader "The past keeps getting cooler!
Toronto (And there's more of it every day!)"

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challenge

<d1b12aba-153a-4da8-9e3d-55953fcbec47n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3329&group=rec.games.trivia#3329

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2021 09:02:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 16:02 UTC

On Sunday, October 3, 2021 at 11:49:56 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> > Given the handout, name the puzzle that can be found in newspapers
> > across the country.
>
> > C2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/g6rx/C2.png
>
> Kakuro. I accepted "Kakuro". 4 for Joshua.

Just to be clear, did you accept "Kajuro" too? Because that's what I put.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10: soccer cities, challenge

<XnsADBAD017FEE39Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3330&group=rec.games.trivia#3330

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 20:27:23 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 18:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> I don't see any non-ASCII characters there. Do you?
>
> Oh, I thought it was an attempt to use Cyrillic.

Well, it was. Some Cyrillic characters can easily be mimicked
with ASCII characters. Even if they have their own code points in
Unicode. But as noted, my newsreader are not capable to handle
those.

> If you meant Mockba,

I guess that if I had meant Mockba, I would have written Mockba. But
in lowercase, the number of cyrillic characters that have ASCII
counterparts are fewer.

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 6, Rounds 9-10 answers: soccer cities, challenge

<LNmdneACHro7JMH8nZ2dnUU7-cvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3331&group=rec.games.trivia#3331

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2021 15:46:30 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 5 Oct 2021 20:46 UTC

Mark Brader:
>> Kakuro. I accepted "Kakuro". 4 for Joshua.
Joshua Kreitzer:
> Just to be clear, did you accept "Kajuro" too? Because that's what I put.

Er, right, that's what I meant.

Scores, if there are *now* no errors, remain unchanged.
--
Mark Brader | "I don't want to say they're unsafe,
Toronto | but they're dangerous."