There is no delight the equal of dread. As long as it is somebody else's. -- Clive Barker

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: whistleblowers and wine

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wineMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wineJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wineDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wineDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wineErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and winePete Gayde
`- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: whistleblowers and wineMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<7_mdndNV-4kDXML8nZ2dnUU7-cHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3335&group=rec.games.trivia#3335

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2021 22:57:18 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 03:57 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

1. At the CIA's request, this diplomat went to Niger and discovered
that Saddam Hussein likely hadn't bought yellowcake uranium from
there. Displeased, the US Administration suppressed the report.
Undeterred, the diplomat published it in the "New York Times".
Miffed, the administration exposed his wife as a CIA operative.
Name either the diplomat or his wife.

2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
documents to Wikileaks?

3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

7. He said he'd repeatedly informed senior officials of the
potential torture of prisoners once they'd been handed over to
Afghani authorities; the officials denied ever knowing about it.
During an inquiry in 2007 into Canadian military actions,
he was the only witness to come forward despite threatening
letters from the Dept of Justice. What """is""" his name?

8. She was Canada's first Integrity Commissioner, a position
created by the Harper government to protect whistleblowers in the
public sector -- they said. In 3 years, her office investigated
a whopping 5 out of 228 complaints -- and remarkably, found
no cases of wrongdoing. Amidst allegations of negligence,
harassment, and retaliation against staff, she resigned """last
fall""" with a $400,000 severance package. What """is"""
her name?

9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?

10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
killed in a collision. Name her.

* Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture

For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.

| Aligoté | Gewürztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
| Cabernet Franc | Grenache | Sémillon
| Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
| Chardonnay | Mourvèdre | Syrah
| Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
| Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
| Gamay | Riesling

1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.

2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fumé.

3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.

4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
home, where it is known as Spätburgunder.

5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuissé;
also used for Champagne.

7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
back from Iran (Persia).

8. Dominant grape used in Médoc; around the world, the most
widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

9. This white wine grape goes by the name Fendant in Switzerland,
where it covers 30% of the country's vineyards.

10. The predominant grape in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Used also in
Tavel Rosé. It ripens late, so it needs hot, dry conditions such
as those found in Spain, the south of France, and California's
San Joaquin Valley.

--
Mark Brader | "Oh, especially if it's accurate. There's nothing worse
Toronto | than *accurate*, ill-informed, irresponsible press

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<323647db-a6a2-40d0-a8a6-a78786ed1b5cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3336&group=rec.games.trivia#3336

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2021 22:06:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 8 Oct 2021 05:06 UTC

On Thursday, October 7, 2021 at 10:57:23 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"
>
> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

Manning

> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

The Pentagon Papers

> 4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
> anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
> violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
> abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

Abu Ghraib

> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

Deep Throat

> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel

> 9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
> in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
> in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
> the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
> eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?

Serpico

> 10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
> making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
> public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
> killed in a collision. Name her.

Silkwood

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture
>
> For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
> that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.
>
> | Aligoté | Gewürztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
> | Cabernet Franc | Grenache | Sémillon
> | Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
> | Chardonnay | Mourvèdre | Syrah
> | Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
> | Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
> | Gamay | Riesling
>
> 1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
> Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.

Viognier; Grenache
> 2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
> Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fumé.

Sylvaner; Sauvignon Blanc

> 3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.

Aligoté; Chenin

> 4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
> The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
> home, where it is known as Spätburgunder.

Sémillon; Mourvèdre

> 5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
> Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
> as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

Muscadelle; Chasselas

> 6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuissé;
> also used for Champagne.

Viognier; Grenache

> 7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
> Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
> back from Iran (Persia).

Syrah
> 8. Dominant grape used in Médoc; around the world, the most
> widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

Chardonnay
> 9. This white wine grape goes by the name Fendant in Switzerland,
> where it covers 30% of the country's vineyards.

Ugni Blanc; Sauvignon Blanc
> 10. The predominant grape in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Used also in
> Tavel Rosé. It ripens late, so it needs hot, dry conditions such
> as those found in Spain, the south of France, and California's
> San Joaquin Valley.

Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<sjrem8$td9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3337&group=rec.games.trivia#3337

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 00:00:23 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 07:00 UTC

On 10/7/21 8:57 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"
>
> 1. At the CIA's request, this diplomat went to Niger and discovered
> that Saddam Hussein likely hadn't bought yellowcake uranium from
> there. Displeased, the US Administration suppressed the report.
> Undeterred, the diplomat published it in the "New York Times".
> Miffed, the administration exposed his wife as a CIA operative.
> Name either the diplomat or his wife.

Plame

> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

Snowden

> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

Pentagon Papers

> 4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
> anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
> violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
> abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

Abu Ghraib

> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

Deep Throat

> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel

> 7. He said he'd repeatedly informed senior officials of the
> potential torture of prisoners once they'd been handed over to
> Afghani authorities; the officials denied ever knowing about it.
> During an inquiry in 2007 into Canadian military actions,
> he was the only witness to come forward despite threatening
> letters from the Dept of Justice. What """is""" his name?
>
> 8. She was Canada's first Integrity Commissioner, a position
> created by the Harper government to protect whistleblowers in the
> public sector -- they said. In 3 years, her office investigated
> a whopping 5 out of 228 complaints -- and remarkably, found
> no cases of wrongdoing. Amidst allegations of negligence,
> harassment, and retaliation against staff, she resigned """last
> fall""" with a $400,000 severance package. What """is"""
> her name?
>
> 9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
> in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
> in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
> the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
> eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?
>
> 10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
> making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
> public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
> killed in a collision. Name her.
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture
>
> For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
> that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.
>
> | Aligoté | Gewürztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
> | Cabernet Franc | Grenache | Sémillon
> | Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
> | Chardonnay | Mourvèdre | Syrah
> | Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
> | Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
> | Gamay | Riesling
>
> 1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
> Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.
>
> 2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
> Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fumé.

pinot noir

> 3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.
>
> 4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
> The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
> home, where it is known as Spätburgunder.

syrah

> 5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
> Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
> as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

Riesling

> 6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuissé;
> also used for Champagne.

chardonnay

> 7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
> Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
> back from Iran (Persia).
>
> 8. Dominant grape used in Médoc; around the world, the most
> widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

cabernet sauvignon

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<sjs42l$qrq$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3338&group=rec.games.trivia#3338

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2021 13:05:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 13:05 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

> 1. At the CIA's request, this diplomat went to Niger and discovered
> that Saddam Hussein likely hadn't bought yellowcake uranium from
> there. Displeased, the US Administration suppressed the report.
> Undeterred, the diplomat published it in the "New York Times".
> Miffed, the administration exposed his wife as a CIA operative.
> Name either the diplomat or his wife.

Wilson

> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

Manning

> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

Pentagon Papers

> 4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
> anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
> violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
> abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

Abu Ghraib

> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

Deep Throat

> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel

> 9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
> in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
> in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
> the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
> eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?

Serpico

> 10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
> making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
> public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
> killed in a collision. Name her.

Silkwood

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture

> For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
> that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.

> | Aligot? | Gew?rztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
> | Cabernet Franc | Grenache | S?millon
> | Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
> | Chardonnay | Mourv?dre | Syrah
> | Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
> | Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
> | Gamay | Riesling

> 1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
> Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.

Sauvignon Blanc; Ugni Blanc

> 2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
> Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fum?.

Chardonnay; Sauvignon Blanc

> 3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.

Riesling; Ugni Blanc

> 4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
> The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
> home, where it is known as Sp?tburgunder.

Cabernet Sauvignon; Merlot

> 5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
> Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
> as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

Gewuerztraminer

> 6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuiss?;
> also used for Champagne.

Viognier; Chardonnay

> 7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
> Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
> back from Iran (Persia).

Syrah

> 8. Dominant grape used in M?doc; around the world, the most
> widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

Pinot Noir; Cabernet Sauvignon

> 9. This white wine grape goes by the name Fendant in Switzerland,
> where it covers 30% of the country's vineyards.

Chenin; Gamay

> 10. The predominant grape in Ch?teauneuf-du-Pape. Used also in
> Tavel Ros?. It ripens late, so it needs hot, dry conditions such
> as those found in Spain, the south of France, and California's
> San Joaquin Valley.

Chasselas; Gamay

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<XnsADBF1AB21AEDYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3339&group=rec.games.trivia#3339

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 00:09:50 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 9 Oct 2021 22:09 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the
Truth!"

> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

Manning
> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

The Pentagon Papers
> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

Deep Throad
> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6: whistleblowers and wine

<sk07cp$he5$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3340&group=rec.games.trivia#3340

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2021 21:26:33 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 02:26 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"
>
> 1. At the CIA's request, this diplomat went to Niger and discovered
> that Saddam Hussein likely hadn't bought yellowcake uranium from
> there. Displeased, the US Administration suppressed the report.
> Undeterred, the diplomat published it in the "New York Times".
> Miffed, the administration exposed his wife as a CIA operative.
> Name either the diplomat or his wife.

Plame

> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

Manning

> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

Pentagon Papers

> 4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
> anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
> violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
> abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

Abu Ghraib

> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

Deep Throat

> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel

> 7. He said he'd repeatedly informed senior officials of the
> potential torture of prisoners once they'd been handed over to
> Afghani authorities; the officials denied ever knowing about it.
> During an inquiry in 2007 into Canadian military actions,
> he was the only witness to come forward despite threatening
> letters from the Dept of Justice. What """is""" his name?
>
> 8. She was Canada's first Integrity Commissioner, a position
> created by the Harper government to protect whistleblowers in the
> public sector -- they said. In 3 years, her office investigated
> a whopping 5 out of 228 complaints -- and remarkably, found
> no cases of wrongdoing. Amidst allegations of negligence,
> harassment, and retaliation against staff, she resigned """last
> fall""" with a $400,000 severance package. What """is"""
> her name?
>
> 9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
> in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
> in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
> the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
> eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?

Serpico

> 10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
> making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
> public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
> killed in a collision. Name her.
>

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture
>
> For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
> that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.
>
> | Aligoté | Gewürztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
> | Cabernet Franc | Grenache | Sémillon
> | Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
> | Chardonnay | Mourvèdre | Syrah
> | Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
> | Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
> | Gamay | Riesling
>
> 1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
> Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.

Mourvèdre

> 2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
> Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fumé.

Chardonnay; Sauvignon Blanc

> 3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.

Chardonnay; Sauvignon Blanc

> 4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
> The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
> home, where it is known as Spätburgunder.

Merlot

> 5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
> Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
> as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

Riesling

> 6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuissé;
> also used for Champagne.

Chenin; Chardonnay

> 7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
> Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
> back from Iran (Persia).

Syrah

> 8. Dominant grape used in Médoc; around the world, the most
> widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

Cabernet Sauvignon

> 9. This white wine grape goes by the name Fendant in Switzerland,
> where it covers 30% of the country's vineyards.

Sylvaner

> 10. The predominant grape in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Used also in
> Tavel Rosé. It ripens late, so it needs hot, dry conditions such
> as those found in Spain, the south of France, and California's
> San Joaquin Valley.

Sauvignon Blanc

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: whistleblowers and wine

<0IydnegZnaB-Uf78nZ2dnUU7-dfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3342&group=rec.games.trivia#3342

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 4,6 answers: whistleblowers and wine
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 00:34:27 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:34 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 4 - History - Whistleblowers, or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"

> 1. At the CIA's request, this diplomat went to Niger and discovered
> that Saddam Hussein likely hadn't bought yellowcake uranium from
> there. Displeased, the US Administration suppressed the report.
> Undeterred, the diplomat published it in the "New York Times".
> Miffed, the administration exposed his wife as a CIA operative.
> Name either the diplomat or his wife.

Joseph Wilson, Valerie Plame. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. Which US private was arrested in May 2010 for passing classified
> documents to Wikileaks?

2011 answer: Bradley Manning. 2021 answer: Chelsea Manning.
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland, and Pete.

> 3. A military analyst working with the US State Department,
> Daniel Ellsberg released classified documents to the "New York
> Times" in 1969, demonstrating that the Johnson administration
> had systematically lied to the public and to Congress about
> the Vietnam War. What are these documents called?

The Pentagon Papers. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
Erland, and Pete.

> 4. In 2004, Sgt. Joe Darby provided a disk of photos and an
> anonymous note to Army Criminal Investigations, exposing
> violations of the Geneva Convention, including torture and
> abuse -- at *which Iraqi prison*?

Abu Ghraib. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Mark Felt came out of the whistleblower's closet in 2005,
> 30 years after leaking secrets about Nixon's involvement in
> the Watergate scandal. In that context, how was he better known?

"Deep Throat". 4 for everyone.

> 6. Mordechai Vanunu was a nuclear technician who revealed details
> of his country's clandestine nuclear weapons program in 1986.
> He was arrested and spent 18 years in prison, 11 of them in
> solitary. Which country did he tattle on?

Israel. 4 for everyone.

> 7. He said he'd repeatedly informed senior officials of the
> potential torture of prisoners once they'd been handed over to
> Afghani authorities; the officials denied ever knowing about it.
> During an inquiry in 2007 into Canadian military actions,
> he was the only witness to come forward despite threatening
> letters from the Dept of Justice. What """is""" his name?

Richard Colvin. (Still alive.)

> 8. She was Canada's first Integrity Commissioner, a position
> created by the Harper government to protect whistleblowers in the
> public sector -- they said. In 3 years, her office investigated
> a whopping 5 out of 228 complaints -- and remarkably, found
> no cases of wrongdoing. Amidst allegations of negligence,
> harassment, and retaliation against staff, she resigned """last
> fall""" with a $400,000 severance package. What """is"""
> her name?

Christiane Ouimet. (Still alive as far as I can tell.)

> 9. He was the first New York City cop to speak out about corruption
> in the department. In 1970, he contributed to a front-page story
> in the New York Times that led to a commission to investigate
> the allegations. He survived a gunshot wound to the face, and
> eventually retired to northern New York State. Who """is""" he?

Frank Serpico. (Still alive.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. This union activist was a chemical technician in Oklahoma,
> making plutonium pellets for nuclear fuel rods. Before going
> public about dangerous mishandling of contaminants, she was
> killed in a collision. Name her.

Karen Silkwood. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Game 7, Round 6 - Science - Viniculture

> For each question, select from the following list the wine grape
> that best fits the clue. Answers will not repeat.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> | Aligoté | Gewürztraminer | Sauvignon Blanc
> | Cabernet Franc | Grenache | Sémillon
> | Cabernet Sauvignon | Merlot | Sylvaner
> | Chardonnay | Mourvèdre | Syrah
> | Chasselas | Muscadelle | Ugni Blanc
> | Chenin | Pinot Noir | Viognier
> | Gamay | Riesling

> 1. The basic grape for Cognac and Armagnac. Also known as
> Trebbiano, and used under that name in many Italian white wines.

Ugni Blanc. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 2. The white grape predominant in Bordeaux. Grown also in the
> Loire Valley, where, for example, it is used in Pouilly-Fumé.

Sauvignon Blanc. 2 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. White wine, Rhone Valley grape, used to make Condrieu.

Viognier.

> 4. Known as a temperamental grape, sensitive to many diseases.
> The dominant red-wine grape of Burgundy. Germany is its second
> home, where it is known as Spätburgunder.

Pinot Noir.

> 5. In France found almost exclusively in Alsace. Dominant in
> Rhine and Mosel wines; used to make ice wine as well. Known also
> as Johannisberg, after Schloss Johannisberg in Germany.

Riesling. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 6. Great white wine grape of Burgundy; used to make Pouilly-Fuissé;
> also used for Champagne.

Chardonnay. 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 7. In France, cultivated mainly in the northern Rhone area.
> Among competing theories of its origin: a crusader brought it
> back from Iran (Persia).

Syrah. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. Dominant grape used in Médoc; around the world, the most
> widespread red wine grape after Merlot.

Cabernet Sauvignon. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. This white wine grape goes by the name Fendant in Switzerland,
> where it covers 30% of the country's vineyards.

Chasselas.

> 10. The predominant grape in Châteauneuf-du-Pape. Used also in
> Tavel Rosé. It ripens late, so it needs hot, dry conditions such
> as those found in Spain, the south of France, and California's
> San Joaquin Valley.

Grenache.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Sci
Pete Gayde 11 34 28 16 89
Joshua Kreitzer 32 22 28 6 88
Dan Blum 12 21 32 12 77
Dan Tilque 12 16 20 12 60
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 16 0 52

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "One thing that surprises you about this business
msb@vex.net | is the surprises." -- Tim Baker