The truth you speak has no past and no future. It is, and that's all it needs to be.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challengeDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: card games and challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<JMmdnR_QAe6rVfr8nZ2dnUU7-XPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3348&group=rec.games.trivia#3348

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:03:34 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games

If applicable, these questions refer to the games as usually
played in Canada.

1. In which card game might a jack be called a right bower?

2. In which card game might a jack be called his nibs?

3. Please answer questions #1-2 before decoding the rot13 for
questions #3-4. Jura bayl gjb crbcyr cynl pevoontr, ubj znal
pneqf ner qrnyg gb rnpu?

4. Ubj znal pneqf ner hfrq va n rhpuer qrpx?

5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

7. Spit in the Ocean is a variety of which card game?

8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
flush or a royal flush?

9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?

10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
of card games?

** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

* A. Sweet Science

These questions concern artificial sweeteners.

A1. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener derived from chlorinated
sucrose molecules. It is stable when heated, so it can be
used in baking. But mostly it is consumed in coffee and
tea and """is""" sold in yellow paper packets, under what
brand name (in Canada)?

A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?

* B. Bitter Leisure

These questions concern the bitter herbal alcoholic beverages
used as digestives or cocktail flavorings.

B1. It shares its name with a tree and a town in Venezuela,
but the most famous bitter doesn't contain any of the
medicinal bark of the tree of the same name. It's main
herbal ingredient is gentian. You need it to make an
Old-Fashioned or to make Pink Gin. What is it?

B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
with gin. What is it?

* C. Monstrous Lit

Questions about monsters in literature.

C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.

C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
Name the monster.

* D. Cute and Furry Miscellany

These questions concern cute and furry animals commonly kept
as pets.

D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
research, but in its native South America, especially
Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
What is it?

D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
let free.

* E. Evil Dictatorial History

E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
his exile. Name him.

E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

* F. Sainted Geography

These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
"Saint" (in some language).

F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
Name it.

F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

--
Mark Brader "I would love to make it, more than
Toronto anything else I've not written."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<XnsADC3D57F32336Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3351&group=rec.games.trivia#3351

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:59:15 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 18:59 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games
>
> 5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
> in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

The hands. That is, all players sitting South has the same cards,
and so has East, West and North.
> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13

> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

Four of a kind
> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * B. Bitter Leisure
>
> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

Chinine
> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany
>
> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?

Hamster
> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.

Hamster
> * E. Evil Dictatorial History
>
> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

Idi Amin
> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot
> * F. Sainted Geography
>
> These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
> "Saint" (in some language).
>
> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

Sint Martin (the Dutch name)
> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

Saint Bartholémy

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<skac94$820$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3352&group=rec.games.trivia#3352

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:51:16 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:51 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games

> 1. In which card game might a jack be called a right bower?

Euchre

> 2. In which card game might a jack be called his nibs?

Cribbage

6

> 4. Ubj znal pneqf ner hfrq va n rhpuer qrpx?

36; 32

> 5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
> in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

the hands dealt at each table

> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13

> 7. Spit in the Ocean is a variety of which card game?

Poker

> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

four of a kind

> 9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
> for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
> Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?

Crazy Eights

> 10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
> rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
> of card games?

Rummy

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Sweet Science

> A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
> At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
> is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
> It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
> packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?

Equal

> * B. Bitter Leisure

> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

quinine

> * C. Monstrous Lit

> C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
> ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
> monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.

Scylla

> C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
> attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
> Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
> Name the monster.

Grendel

> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany

> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?

guinea pig

> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2? ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.

hamster; gerbil

> * E. Evil Dictatorial History

> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

Idi Amin

> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot

> * F. Sainted Geography

> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

St. Martin

> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

St. Croix

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<skamf2$12fo$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3353&group=rec.games.trivia#3353

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 20:45:06 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 01:45 UTC

6

> 4. Ubj znal pneqf ner hfrq va n rhpuer qrpx?

24

> 5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
> in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

The deal is duplicated at each table.

> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13

> 7. Spit in the Ocean is a variety of which card game?

Spades; Hearts

> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

4 of a kind

> 9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
> for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
> Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?
>
> 10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
> rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
> of card games?
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Sweet Science
>
> These questions concern artificial sweeteners.
>
> A1. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener derived from chlorinated
> sucrose molecules. It is stable when heated, so it can be
> used in baking. But mostly it is consumed in coffee and
> tea and """is""" sold in yellow paper packets, under what
> brand name (in Canada)?
>
> A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
> At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
> is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
> It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
> packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?
>

> * B. Bitter Leisure
>
> These questions concern the bitter herbal alcoholic beverages
> used as digestives or cocktail flavorings.
>
> B1. It shares its name with a tree and a town in Venezuela,
> but the most famous bitter doesn't contain any of the
> medicinal bark of the tree of the same name. It's main
> herbal ingredient is gentian. You need it to make an
> Old-Fashioned or to make Pink Gin. What is it?

Angostura

> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

Quinine

> * C. Monstrous Lit
>
> Questions about monsters in literature.
>
> C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
> ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
> monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.
>
> C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
> attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
> Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
> Name the monster.

Grendel

> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany
>
> These questions concern cute and furry animals commonly kept
> as pets.
>
> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?

Guinea Pig

> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.
>

> * E. Evil Dictatorial History
>
> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

Idi Amin

> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot

> * F. Sainted Geography
>
> These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
> "Saint" (in some language).
>
> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

St. Martin

> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

St Kitts; St Thomas

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<e27a8a1c-2836-4f24-a6ce-4cd754b8b390n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3354&group=rec.games.trivia#3354

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 22:23:32 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 05:23 UTC

On Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 1:03:40 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games
>
> If applicable, these questions refer to the games as usually
> played in Canada.
>
> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13

> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

four of a kind
> 9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
> for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
> Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?

Crazy Eights

> 10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
> rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
> of card games?

rummy

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Sweet Science
>
> These questions concern artificial sweeteners.
>
> A1. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener derived from chlorinated
> sucrose molecules. It is stable when heated, so it can be
> used in baking. But mostly it is consumed in coffee and
> tea and """is""" sold in yellow paper packets, under what
> brand name (in Canada)?

Splenda

> A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
> At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
> is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
> It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
> packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?

Equal

> * B. Bitter Leisure
>
> These questions concern the bitter herbal alcoholic beverages
> used as digestives or cocktail flavorings.
>
> B1. It shares its name with a tree and a town in Venezuela,
> but the most famous bitter doesn't contain any of the
> medicinal bark of the tree of the same name. It's main
> herbal ingredient is gentian. You need it to make an
> Old-Fashioned or to make Pink Gin. What is it?

Angostura

> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

quinine

> * C. Monstrous Lit
>
> Questions about monsters in literature.
>
> C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
> ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
> monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.

Scylla

> C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
> attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
> Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
> Name the monster.

Grendel

> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany
>
> These questions concern cute and furry animals commonly kept
> as pets.
>
> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?

guinea pig

> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.

ferret

> * E. Evil Dictatorial History
>
> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

Idi Amin

> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot

> * F. Sainted Geography
>
> These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
> "Saint" (in some language).
>
> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

St. Martin

> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

St. Barthelemy

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10: card games and challenge

<skbr5g$ove$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3355&group=rec.games.trivia#3355

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2021 05:11:26 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 15 Oct 2021 12:11 UTC

On 10/13/21 11:03 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games
>
> If applicable, these questions refer to the games as usually
> played in Canada.
>
> 1. In which card game might a jack be called a right bower?
>
> 2. In which card game might a jack be called his nibs?

cribbage

6

> 4. Ubj znal pneqf ner hfrq va n rhpuer qrpx?

104; 108

> 5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
> in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

the hands played by different teams

> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13

> 7. Spit in the Ocean is a variety of which card game?
>
> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

4 of a kind

> 9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
> for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
> Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?

Crazy 8s

> 10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
> rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
> of card games?
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round
>
> * A. Sweet Science
>
> These questions concern artificial sweeteners.
>
> A1. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener derived from chlorinated
> sucrose molecules. It is stable when heated, so it can be
> used in baking. But mostly it is consumed in coffee and
> tea and """is""" sold in yellow paper packets, under what
> brand name (in Canada)?
>
> A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
> At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
> is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
> It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
> packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?
>

> * B. Bitter Leisure
>
> These questions concern the bitter herbal alcoholic beverages
> used as digestives or cocktail flavorings.
>
> B1. It shares its name with a tree and a town in Venezuela,
> but the most famous bitter doesn't contain any of the
> medicinal bark of the tree of the same name. It's main
> herbal ingredient is gentian. You need it to make an
> Old-Fashioned or to make Pink Gin. What is it?

Cinchona

> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

quinine

> * C. Monstrous Lit
>
> Questions about monsters in literature.
>
> C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
> ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
> monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.
>
> C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
> attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
> Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
> Name the monster.

Grendel

> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany
>
> These questions concern cute and furry animals commonly kept
> as pets.
>
> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?
>
> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.

gerbil

> * E. Evil Dictatorial History
>
> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

Idi Amin

> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot

> * F. Sainted Geography
>
> These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
> "Saint" (in some language).
>
> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

St Martin (Sint Maarten in Dutch)

> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: card games and challenge

<l6WdnU8EGPX2Ovb8nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3356&group=rec.games.trivia#3356

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 9-10 answers: card games and challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 23:32:43 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 04:32 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER wins -- hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Sports - Card Games

> If applicable, these questions refer to the games as usually
> played in Canada.

> 1. In which card game might a jack be called a right bower?

Euchre. Also accepting 500; one of the two games by that name is
a form of euchre. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 2. In which card game might a jack be called his nibs?

Cribbage. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

Depending on where you play, it might also be his nobs.

> 3. Please answer questions #1-2 before decoding the rot13 for
> questions #3-4. When only two people play cribbage, how many
> cards are dealt to each?

6. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. How many cards are used in a euchre deck?

24 (A-9 in each suit). 4 for Pete.

> 5. What is "duplicated" -- or, more accurately, identical --
> in duplicate bridge? Be sufficiently specific.

The deal of cards: the same layout of cards is played successively
by different players. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

In some formats of the game, the deal actually is physically
duplicated, with multiple decks of cards arranged identically, once
by hand, today often by a computer-controlled machine. In others,
a single deck is dealt just once before a session, and the cards
are passed from table to table to be played repeatedly without being
rerranged. In either case a holder (a duplicate board) is used to
keep the four hands separate and concealed until ready for play.
See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_%28bridge%29>

> 6. How many cards are there in a bridge hand?

13. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Spit in the Ocean is a variety of which card game?

Poker. (Or specifically, draw poker.) 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. In poker, what hand beats a full house, but loses to a straight
> flush or a royal flush?

Four of a kind. 4 for everyone.

> 9. As of the mid 20th century, Section 8 of the US regulation
> for the discharge of unfit soldiers referred to mental unfitness.
> Which card game is said to derive its name from this section?

Crazy eights. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Mah-jongg, which until the 19th century was played with cards
> rather than tiles, resembles which Western card game or family
> of card games?

Rummy. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round

> * A. Sweet Science

> These questions concern artificial sweeteners.

> A1. Sucralose is an artificial sweetener derived from chlorinated
> sucrose molecules. It is stable when heated, so it can be
> used in baking. But mostly it is consumed in coffee and
> tea and """is""" sold in yellow paper packets, under what
> brand name (in Canada)?

Splenda. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. Aspartame is a sweetener derived from two amino acids.
> At high heat it breaks down into its two acids, but it
> is often used in cold beverages and frozen desserts.
> It """is""" sold for use in coffee and tea, in blue paper
> packets, under what brand name (in Canada)?

Equal. (Not Nutrasweet, a brand name for aspartame in bulk. I don't
know if this has changed.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * B. Bitter Leisure

> These questions concern the bitter herbal alcoholic beverages
> used as digestives or cocktail flavorings.

> B1. It shares its name with a tree and a town in Venezuela,
> but the most famous bitter doesn't contain any of the
> medicinal bark of the tree of the same name. It's main
> herbal ingredient is gentian. You need it to make an
> Old-Fashioned or to make Pink Gin. What is it?

Angostura Bitters. 4 for Pete and Joshua.

> B2. Medicinal quantities of this anti-malarial drug, made from
> the bark of a South American tree, were occasionally used
> in old cocktail recipes. Today it is still found in much
> lower concentrations in tonic water, used mostly in drinks
> with gin. What is it?

Quinine. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Erland.

> * C. Monstrous Lit

> Questions about monsters in literature.

> C1. In Homer's "Odyssey", Charybdis was a whirlpool that sucked
> ships to their doom. Opposite the whirlpool lived a 6-headed
> monster that snatched sailors 6 at a time. Name the monster.

Scylla. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> C2. In the Anglo-Saxon epic poem Beowulf, a monster keeps
> attacking the leader's hall and eating everybody.
> Beowulf fatally wounds the monster by ripping its arm off.
> Name the monster.

Grendel. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * D. Cute and Furry Miscellany

> These questions concern cute and furry animals commonly kept
> as pets.

> D1. This cute and docile member of the rodent family, also
> known as a cavy ["kavvy"], serves as a pet and in medical
> research, but in its native South America, especially
> Ecuador, it's called cui ["kwee"], and it's dinner.
> What is it?

Guinea pig. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua.

> D2. Members of this rodent's family live in Africa, India,
> and Asia, but most of the pets in Canada hail from Mongolia.
> They need to burrow, and shouldn't be near plastic because
> they'll eat it. Weighing just 2½ ounces (70 g), """they're
> banned""" in California, for fear they'll run rampant if
> let free.

Gerbils. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> * E. Evil Dictatorial History

> E1. From 1971 until forced to flee in 1979, he led Uganda,
> banishing Asians from the country, attacking other ethnic
> groups, torturing dissidents, destroying the economy and
> eventually killing somewhere between 100,000 and 300,000
> people. His invasion of Tanzania backfired and led to
> his exile. Name him.

His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi
Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes
of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General
and Uganda in Particular. 4 for everyone.

> E2. From 1975 to 1979, he led Democratic Kampuchea into hell,
> forcing city dwellers into forced labour in the country,
> resulting in the deaths of between 1,700,000 and 2,500,000
> Cambodians, or about one person in five. The invasion by
> Vietnam sent him into hiding for 18 years. Name him.

Pol Pot. 4 for everyone.

> * F. Sainted Geography

> These questions concern Caribbean islands whose names begin with
> "Saint" (in some language).

> F1. This Caribbean island's north half is controlled by France,
> and its south half is part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands.
> Name it.

St-Martin or Sint-Maarten. 4 for everyone.

The two countries agreed in 1648 to divide possession of the island.

> F2. Currently the playground of the rich and famous, this
> French Caribbean island was once a Swedish Caribbean island,
> and its capital is still named Gustavia. You may remember
> it from the movie "Along Came Polly". Name it.

St-Barthélemy or St. Barts. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Sci Can A+L Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 22 28 6 16 32 16 44 174
Dan Blum 12 21 32 12 0 28 36 34 163
Pete Gayde 11 34 28 16 -- -- 28 28 145
Dan Tilque 12 16 20 12 0 4 24 24 108
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 16 0 0 11 12 19 94

--
Mark Brader | "The remedy for speech that is false is speech that is true.
Toronto | This is the ordinary course in a free society."