Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2022 07:57:58 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: TN: 1982-1995 CalCabs at Balvanera
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 4 Aug 2022 14:57 UTC

A nice group met Monday at Balvanera on LES for a 1995 and older CalCab tasting. I enjoyed the food- beef empanadas.salt cod croquetas, Iberico ham, grilled provolone and tomato confit, skirt steaks, morcilla, broccoli rabe,.& french fries Everything tasty, the bacalao croquettes were so good we got 2 more orders.
2018 Ravines Estate Chardonnay
Apple and pear, a little hazelnut and almond, good acids, light body, easy to drink. B

2000 Ramey Hyde Chardonnay
Knew as soon as poured this was past it, deep gold with browning, apple cider aromas.

2008 Ridge Monte Bello Chardonnay
Very nice, integrated oak, lemon and pear. Good length, long sapid finish. B+

2013 Roulot Bourgogne Blanc
Green apple, lime, with a floral topnote. Medium bodied, long chalky mineral finish. A-

1982 Spottswoode Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon
First vintage of this. Nice claret-y nose of forest floor/autumn leaves and soil. Not a lot of fruit left on palate, and finish is a tad clipped, but very interesting to taste, B-

1986 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
I liked this a lot (more than group), but was surprised by the lack of the famous Martha’s eucalyptus notes. Cassis and black cherries, plenty of green herbs, but not in the menthol/eucalyptus mode. Good acidic tang, mostly resolved tannins, nice length. A-/B+

1991 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
Well here is the mint/eucalyptus! Fresh dark fruit, mint, spicy, young and very long. A-

1994 Mondavi Reserve. Cabernet Sauvignon
Fairly lush fruit, a lot of vanillin oak still apparent, modest finish. B

1994 Montelena Estate Cabernet Sauvignon
Black plums and currants, coffee, spice. Rich but with some tangy acids, nice length. A-

1994 Phelps Insignia
I was a bit less enthused by both Insignias than rest of table. Very ripe, a little chocolate milkshake, very oak driven. B

1995 Phelps Insignia
Lush black fruits, mocha, a little more balanced than the ‘94. B+

Fun night. Excellent group, excellent food.
Group voting results
1994 Montelena 18 pts
1991 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard 7 pts
1994 Phelps Insignia 6 pts
1995 Phelps Insignia 6 pts
1982 Spottswoode 2 pts
1986 Heitz Martha’s Vineyard 1 pt

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C drinkable. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.