Go ahead... make my day. -- Dirty Harry

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: Anne of GG, arts exilesMark Brader
`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesPete Gayde
 `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exilesMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<8pmdnSIuEbmpUP78nZ2dnUU7-bvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3341&group=rec.games.trivia#3341

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 00:35:48 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 05:35 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Anne of Green Gables

A Canadian icon if there ever was one.

1. Name the Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables".

2. She's "Anne" of Green Gables, but what is her last name?

3. In the Canadian TV-movie and miniseries first seen in 1985,
who played Anne?

4. Name the long-running (1990-1996), very popular spin-off TV
series created by Kevin Sullivan. It featured many characters
from the books, but not Anne.

5. Anne is adopted by a PEI family who were actually expecting a boy
to help with the farm work. Who is the female head of that
family? (First *or* last name.)

6. Who is Anne's nemesis, then her boyfriend, and eventually
her husband? (First *or* last name.)

7. <answer 6> was played in the 1985 miniseries by the actor son
of a former Toronto politician. Who was this actor?

8. <answer 1> wrote several Anne sequels; what was the last Anne
book to be published (although not the last in order of internal
chronology)?

9. A musical version of Anne has been presented at the Charlottetown
Festival every year since 1965. Which Canadian comic actor
wrote the book and lyrics?

10. The Japanese have a mania for Anne. In 1979 they produced
"Akage no An", an animated TV series about her. Translate the
title into English.

* Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile

For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
as well. In each case, you name the person involved.

1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
to 1994.

2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

4. This comedic actor and film director was barred from reentering
the US in 1952 due to suspicion of Communist leanings. He lived
in exile until 1972, when he returned to the US to receive a
special Academy Award.

5. In the year 8, Emperor Augustus banished him from Rome to
Tomis in what is now Romania. In exile until his death 9 years
later, this poet wrote collections of poetry such as "Tristia"
and "Epistulae ex Ponto". However, he is best known for
"Metamorphoses".

6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
Un-American Activities Committee.

8. This American singer, actor and political activist called it
his "exile", although he was *forbidden* to leave the US,
not required to. From 1950 to 1958, his passport was revoked
because of his Soviet sympathies and for speaking out against
mistreatment of black Americans.

9. After the trauma of World War I, this writer began his
self-imposed exile, leaving his native England in 1919 and
returning only twice for a visit. He and his wife traveled
around the world until his death in 1930; during this time,
he wrote "The Plumed Serpent" and "Mornings in Mexico", among
many others.

10. He left Czechoslovakia in 1968 after the Soviet invasion and
came to Canada. He wrote a number of books including "The Bass
Saxophone" as well as "The Engineer of Human Souls", which won
the Governor-General's Award. He received the Order of Canada
in 1992.

--
Mark Brader "Outside of nearly having two head-on collisions,
msb@vex.net we found driving in England to be fairly easy."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<c1041331-2564-4eae-865d-e7619339056an@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3343&group=rec.games.trivia#3343

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2021 16:56:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 11 Oct 2021 23:56 UTC

On Monday, October 11, 2021 at 12:35:55 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Anne of Green Gables
>
> A Canadian icon if there ever was one.
>
> 1. Name the Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables".

Montgomery

> 2. She's "Anne" of Green Gables, but what is her last name?

Shirley

> 3. In the Canadian TV-movie and miniseries first seen in 1985,
> who played Anne?

Megan Follows
> 4. Name the long-running (1990-1996), very popular spin-off TV
> series created by Kevin Sullivan. It featured many characters
> from the books, but not Anne.

"Avonlea"
> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile
>
> For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
> for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
> as well. In each case, you name the person involved.
>
> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Solzhenitsyn
> 2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
> the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
> return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

Chopin

> 3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
> one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
> for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

Hugo

> 4. This comedic actor and film director was barred from reentering
> the US in 1952 due to suspicion of Communist leanings. He lived
> in exile until 1972, when he returned to the US to receive a
> special Academy Award.

Chaplin

> 5. In the year 8, Emperor Augustus banished him from Rome to
> Tomis in what is now Romania. In exile until his death 9 years
> later, this poet wrote collections of poetry such as "Tristia"
> and "Epistulae ex Ponto". However, he is best known for
> "Metamorphoses".

Ovid

> 6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
> control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
> for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
> council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

Dante

> 7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
> he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
> and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
> He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
> Un-American Activities Committee.

Brecht

> 8. This American singer, actor and political activist called it
> his "exile", although he was *forbidden* to leave the US,
> not required to. From 1950 to 1958, his passport was revoked
> because of his Soviet sympathies and for speaking out against
> mistreatment of black Americans.

Robeson

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<sk2sim$2ek$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3344&group=rec.games.trivia#3344

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 02:40:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 12 Oct 2021 02:40 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile

> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Solzhenitsyn

> 2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
> the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
> return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

Chopin

> 3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
> one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
> for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

Balzac

> 4. This comedic actor and film director was barred from reentering
> the US in 1952 due to suspicion of Communist leanings. He lived
> in exile until 1972, when he returned to the US to receive a
> special Academy Award.

Chaplin

> 5. In the year 8, Emperor Augustus banished him from Rome to
> Tomis in what is now Romania. In exile until his death 9 years
> later, this poet wrote collections of poetry such as "Tristia"
> and "Epistulae ex Ponto". However, he is best known for
> "Metamorphoses".

Ovid

> 6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
> control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
> for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
> council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

Dante

> 7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
> he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
> and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
> He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
> Un-American Activities Committee.

Isherwood

> 8. This American singer, actor and political activist called it
> his "exile", although he was *forbidden* to leave the US,
> not required to. From 1950 to 1958, his passport was revoked
> because of his Soviet sympathies and for speaking out against
> mistreatment of black Americans.

Robeson

> 9. After the trauma of World War I, this writer began his
> self-imposed exile, leaving his native England in 1919 and
> returning only twice for a visit. He and his wife traveled
> around the world until his death in 1930; during this time,
> he wrote "The Plumed Serpent" and "Mornings in Mexico", among
> many others.

Lawrence

> 10. He left Czechoslovakia in 1968 after the Soviet invasion and
> came to Canada. He wrote a number of books including "The Bass
> Saxophone" as well as "The Engineer of Human Souls", which won
> the Governor-General's Award. He received the Order of Canada
> in 1992.

Kundera

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<sk5dtv$hig$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3345&group=rec.games.trivia#3345

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2021 18:48:45 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 01:48 UTC

On 10/10/21 10:35 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Anne of Green Gables
>
> A Canadian icon if there ever was one.
>
> 1. Name the Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables".
>
> 2. She's "Anne" of Green Gables, but what is her last name?
>
> 3. In the Canadian TV-movie and miniseries first seen in 1985,
> who played Anne?
>
> 4. Name the long-running (1990-1996), very popular spin-off TV
> series created by Kevin Sullivan. It featured many characters
> from the books, but not Anne.
>
> 5. Anne is adopted by a PEI family who were actually expecting a boy
> to help with the farm work. Who is the female head of that
> family? (First *or* last name.)
>
> 6. Who is Anne's nemesis, then her boyfriend, and eventually
> her husband? (First *or* last name.)
>
> 7. <answer 6> was played in the 1985 miniseries by the actor son
> of a former Toronto politician. Who was this actor?
>
> 8. <answer 1> wrote several Anne sequels; what was the last Anne
> book to be published (although not the last in order of internal
> chronology)?
>
> 9. A musical version of Anne has been presented at the Charlottetown
> Festival every year since 1965. Which Canadian comic actor
> wrote the book and lyrics?
>
> 10. The Japanese have a mania for Anne. In 1979 they produced
> "Akage no An", an animated TV series about her. Translate the
> title into English.
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile
>
> For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
> for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
> as well. In each case, you name the person involved.
>
> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Solzhenitsyn

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<XnsADC2DD8134DBYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3346&group=rec.games.trivia#3346

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2021 21:46:29 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 13 Oct 2021 19:46 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile
>
> For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
> for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
> as well. In each case, you name the person involved.
>
> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Solzhenitsyn
> 2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
> the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
> return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

Chopin
> 3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
> one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
> for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

Zola
> 6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
> control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
> for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
> council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

Dante Aleghri
> 7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
> he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
> and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
> He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
> Un-American Activities Committee.

Beckett

RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<08OdnXDu-uUVWvr8nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3347&group=rec.games.trivia#3347

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8 answers: Anne of GG, arts exiles
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 01:00:40 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 06:00 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Anne of Green Gables

> A Canadian icon if there ever was one.

> 1. Name the Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables".

Lucy Maud Montgomery. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. She's "Anne" of Green Gables, but what is her last name?

Shirley. 4 for Joshua.

> 3. In the Canadian TV-movie and miniseries first seen in 1985,
> who played Anne?

Megan Follows. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. Name the long-running (1990-1996), very popular spin-off TV
> series created by Kevin Sullivan. It featured many characters
> from the books, but not Anne.

"Road to Avonlea" (or the US title, "Avonlea"). 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Anne is adopted by a PEI family who were actually expecting a boy
> to help with the farm work. Who is the female head of that
> family? (First *or* last name.)

Marilla Cuthbert.

> 6. Who is Anne's nemesis, then her boyfriend, and eventually
> her husband? (First *or* last name.)

Gilbert Blythe.

> 7. <answer 6> was played in the 1985 miniseries by the actor son
> of a former Toronto politician. Who was this actor?

Jonathan Crombie.

Jonathan's father, David Crombie, was mayor of Toronto 1972-78,
and later a federal cabinet member.

> 8. <answer 1> wrote several Anne sequels; what was the last Anne
> book to be published (although not the last in order of internal
> chronology)?

"Anne of Ingleside".

> 9. A musical version of Anne has been presented at the Charlottetown
> Festival every year since 1965. Which Canadian comic actor
> wrote the book and lyrics?

Don Harron.

> 10. The Japanese have a mania for Anne. In 1979 they produced
> "Akage no An", an animated TV series about her. Translate the
> title into English.

"Red-Haired Anne".

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile

> For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
> for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
> as well. In each case, you name the person involved.

This was the third-easiest round in the original game, after the
audio and current events rounds.

> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Alexander Solzhenitsyn. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Erland.

> 2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
> the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
> return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

Frédéric Chopin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
> one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
> for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

Victor Hugo. 4 for Joshua.

> 4. This comedic actor and film director was barred from reentering
> the US in 1952 due to suspicion of Communist leanings. He lived
> in exile until 1972, when he returned to the US to receive a
> special Academy Award.

Charlie Chaplin. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 5. In the year 8, Emperor Augustus banished him from Rome to
> Tomis in what is now Romania. In exile until his death 9 years
> later, this poet wrote collections of poetry such as "Tristia"
> and "Epistulae ex Ponto". However, he is best known for
> "Metamorphoses".

Ovid. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
> control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
> for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
> council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

Dante Alighieri. (Either name was sufficient.) 4 for Joshua
and Dan Blum. 3 for Erland.

> 7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
> he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
> and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
> He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
> Un-American Activities Committee.

Bertolt Brecht. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. This American singer, actor and political activist called it
> his "exile", although he was *forbidden* to leave the US,
> not required to. From 1950 to 1958, his passport was revoked
> because of his Soviet sympathies and for speaking out against
> mistreatment of black Americans.

Paul Robeson. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. After the trauma of World War I, this writer began his
> self-imposed exile, leaving his native England in 1919 and
> returning only twice for a visit. He and his wife traveled
> around the world until his death in 1930; during this time,
> he wrote "The Plumed Serpent" and "Mornings in Mexico", among
> many others.

D.H. Lawrence. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. He left Czechoslovakia in 1968 after the Soviet invasion and
> came to Canada. He wrote a number of books including "The Bass
> Saxophone" as well as "The Engineer of Human Souls", which won
> the Governor-General's Award. He received the Order of Canada
> in 1992.

Josef Skvorecky.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent Geo His Sci Can A+L FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 22 28 6 16 32 114
Dan Blum 12 21 32 12 0 28 93
Pete Gayde 11 34 28 16 -- -- 89
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 16 0 0 11 63
Dan Tilque 12 16 20 12 0 4 60

--
Mark Brader | "Mechanics, musicians, and programmers all know
Toronto | how to arrange numerous small units into logical
| to move something in a profound way." -- Barry Kort

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<sk8khi$b04$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3349&group=rec.games.trivia#3349

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 02:00:03 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 07:00 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-06-27,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Canadiana Literature - Anne of Green Gables
>
> A Canadian icon if there ever was one.
>
> 1. Name the Canadian author of "Anne of Green Gables".
>
> 2. She's "Anne" of Green Gables, but what is her last name?
>
> 3. In the Canadian TV-movie and miniseries first seen in 1985,
> who played Anne?
>
> 4. Name the long-running (1990-1996), very popular spin-off TV
> series created by Kevin Sullivan. It featured many characters
> from the books, but not Anne.
>
> 5. Anne is adopted by a PEI family who were actually expecting a boy
> to help with the farm work. Who is the female head of that
> family? (First *or* last name.)
>
> 6. Who is Anne's nemesis, then her boyfriend, and eventually
> her husband? (First *or* last name.)
>
> 7. <answer 6> was played in the 1985 miniseries by the actor son
> of a former Toronto politician. Who was this actor?
>
> 8. <answer 1> wrote several Anne sequels; what was the last Anne
> book to be published (although not the last in order of internal
> chronology)?
>
> 9. A musical version of Anne has been presented at the Charlottetown
> Festival every year since 1965. Which Canadian comic actor
> wrote the book and lyrics?
>
> 10. The Japanese have a mania for Anne. In 1979 they produced
> "Akage no An", an animated TV series about her. Translate the
> title into English.
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Arts & Literature - Artists in Exile
>
> For each artist, writer, or performer, we will tell you when and
> for how long he lived in exile, and maybe some other information
> as well. In each case, you name the person involved.
>
> 1. This writer and historian wrote about the horrors of the
> Soviet gulag. He was expelled and lived in exile from 1974
> to 1994.

Solzhenitsyn

> 2. This Romantic composer and pianist was in Vienna in 1831 when
> the Polish uprising against Russia was crushed. Unable to
> return, he remained in exile until his death in 1849.

Chopin

> 3. He was an author, playwright, poet, and human-rights campaigner,
> one of France's great literary figures. He was exiled in 1851
> for 19 years for declaring Napoleon III a traitor to France.

Hugo

> 4. This comedic actor and film director was barred from reentering
> the US in 1952 due to suspicion of Communist leanings. He lived
> in exile until 1972, when he returned to the US to receive a
> special Academy Award.

Chaplin

> 5. In the year 8, Emperor Augustus banished him from Rome to
> Tomis in what is now Romania. In exile until his death 9 years
> later, this poet wrote collections of poetry such as "Tristia"
> and "Epistulae ex Ponto". However, he is best known for
> "Metamorphoses".

Ovid; Cato

> 6. While visiting Rome in 1301, this poet's political rivals took
> control of Florence and sentenced him in absentia to death
> for various unpaid fines. This sentence was rescinded by city
> council 700 years later. Who was the guilty poet?

Plutarch

> 7. This playwright left Nazi Germany in 1933. While in the US,
> he wrote "Life of Galileo", "The Caucasian Chalk Circle",
> and the screenplay for the Hollywood movie "Hangmen Also Die!"
> He returned to Germany the day after appearing before the House
> Un-American Activities Committee.

Mann

> 8. This American singer, actor and political activist called it
> his "exile", although he was *forbidden* to leave the US,
> not required to. From 1950 to 1958, his passport was revoked
> because of his Soviet sympathies and for speaking out against
> mistreatment of black Americans.

Belafonte; Davis

> 9. After the trauma of World War I, this writer began his
> self-imposed exile, leaving his native England in 1919 and
> returning only twice for a visit. He and his wife traveled
> around the world until his death in 1930; during this time,
> he wrote "The Plumed Serpent" and "Mornings in Mexico", among
> many others.
>
> 10. He left Czechoslovakia in 1968 after the Soviet invasion and
> came to Canada. He wrote a number of books including "The Bass
> Saxophone" as well as "The Engineer of Human Souls", which won
> the Governor-General's Award. He received the Order of Canada
> in 1992.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: Anne of GG, arts exiles

<z7mdndrXW_RTfvr8nZ2dnUU7-Q3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3350&group=rec.games.trivia#3350

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 03:01:18 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 14 Oct 2021 08:01 UTC

If Pete Gayde's answers had been posted on time, he would have scored
0 points on Round 7 and 19 on Round 8, for a "best four rounds" score
of 97.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The only proven use of antimatter is the production
msb@vex.net | of Nobel Prizes in physics." -- Henry Spencer