"Don't think; let the machine do it for you!" -- E. C. Berkeley

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, between

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, betweenPete Gayde
`* RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, betweenMark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, betweenErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<ToGdnS0M-L1zOvb8nZ2dnUU7-W_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3357&group=rec.games.trivia#3357

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2021 23:34:54 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 04:34 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. The US Federal Election Commission ruled Thursday that this
entertainer can use the resources of his TV show to support his
self-named political action committee. His response to the
decision: "I don't accept the status quo. I do accept Visa,
Mastercard or American Express." Name the entertainer.

2. For only the second time, the United Nations has declared
a disease officially eradicated. This virulent disease, with
fatality rates as high as 95%, has been fingered variously for
the fall of the Roman Empire, the conquests of the Mongols,
and the French and Russian Revolutions. Name it.

* Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy

1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
in English?

2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
what will you get? Describe it briefly.

3. If you choose to have "zuppa Inglese", or "English soup" for
dessert, what rich treat will you be enjoying? Name it in
English.

4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
specific.

5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.

6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
arrive at your table? Name it.

7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
you be served? Name it.

8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.

9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
"biscotti"?

10. "Pastafazoola" might sound like a made-up word, but it's
really a dialect name for a wholesome and popular dish.
What is pastafazoola? Describe it briefly.

* Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between

The following questions derive from a variety of sciences. In each
case, you will be given two members of a series, such as stages
or steps or layers. You give the one that lies between them.

1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
the core?

2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
the mesosphere?

3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
nitrogen?

4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
between green and orange?

7. On the electromagnetic spectrum, what lies between infrared
waves and radio waves, measuring from 300 MHz to 300 GHz?

8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
the Paleozoic?

9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
larva and adult ?

10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
between anger and depression?

--
Mark Brader | "The only thing required for the triumph of darkness
Toronto | is for good men not to call Hydro."

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<XnsADC6790619BA5Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3358&group=rec.games.trivia#3358

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 11:53:49 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 09:53 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> 2. For only the second time, the United Nations has declared
> a disease officially eradicated. This virulent disease, with
> fatality rates as high as 95%, has been fingered variously for
> the fall of the Roman Empire, the conquests of the Mongols,
> and the French and Russian Revolutions. Name it.

Smallpox
> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy
>
> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

Tomato
> 2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
> what will you get? Describe it briefly.

A salad of mixed fruits
> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.

Small peppers
> 5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
> soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.

Minestrone
> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.

Tiramisù

> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.

Amatriciana
> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.

Carbonara
> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

biscotto
> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between
>
> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

Mantle
> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

Stratosphere
> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?

Carbon
> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

nanosecond
> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

Yellow
> 7. On the electromagnetic spectrum, what lies between infrared
> waves and radio waves, measuring from 300 MHz to 300 GHz?

Microwave
> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

Puppa (Well, that's the Swedish name. I will have to take my chances
that the English name is close enough.)
> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

Role reversal

(This nonsensical answer deserves an explanation: As it happens, just a
few day ago I attended where the presenter used the five stages of
grief as a base for a purely technical presentation. Unfortunately,
I've already forgotten the name of third stage of grief, but the
term for the third stage of the technical process he was discussing
is role reversal.)

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<skhbvp$5ma$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3359&group=rec.games.trivia#3359

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:29:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 14:29 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy

> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

tomato

> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.

hot peppers

> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.

tiramisu

> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.

puttanesca

> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.

carbonara

> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

biscotto

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between

> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

mantle

> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

stratosphere

> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?

carbon

> 4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

domain

> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

nanosecond

> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

yellow

> 8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
> the Paleozoic?

Cambrian

> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

chrysalis

> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

denial

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<cb9f8b02-236e-447f-ab4c-45d76fe51917n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3360&group=rec.games.trivia#3360

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 08:27:37 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 17 Oct 2021 15:27 UTC

On Saturday, October 16, 2021 at 11:34:59 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy
>
> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

tomatoes
> 2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
> what will you get? Describe it briefly.

fruit salad

> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.

a slightly hot pepper
> 5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
> soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.

minestrone

> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.

tiramisu

> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.

puttanesca

> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.

carbonara

> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

biscotto

> 10. "Pastafazoola" might sound like a made-up word, but it's
> really a dialect name for a wholesome and popular dish.
> What is pastafazoola? Describe it briefly.

pasta with beans (pasta e fagioli in standard Italian)

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between
>
> The following questions derive from a variety of sciences. In each
> case, you will be given two members of a series, such as stages
> or steps or layers. You give the one that lies between them.
>
> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

mantle

> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

stratosphere

> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?

carbon

> 4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

class

> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

nanosecond

> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

yellow

> 8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
> the Paleozoic?

Mesozoic
> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

pupa

> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

bargaining

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<sklnba$dn5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3361&group=rec.games.trivia#3361

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2021 23:07:36 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 19 Oct 2021 06:07 UTC

On 10/16/21 9:34 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. The US Federal Election Commission ruled Thursday that this
> entertainer can use the resources of his TV show to support his
> self-named political action committee. His response to the
> decision: "I don't accept the status quo. I do accept Visa,
> Mastercard or American Express." Name the entertainer.
>
> 2. For only the second time, the United Nations has declared
> a disease officially eradicated. This virulent disease, with
> fatality rates as high as 95%, has been fingered variously for
> the fall of the Roman Empire, the conquests of the Mongols,
> and the French and Russian Revolutions. Name it.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy
>
> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

tomato

> 2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
> what will you get? Describe it briefly.
>
> 3. If you choose to have "zuppa Inglese", or "English soup" for
> dessert, what rich treat will you be enjoying? Name it in
> English.
>
> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
> soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.
>
> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.
>
> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.
>
> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.
>
> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

biscotto

> 10. "Pastafazoola" might sound like a made-up word, but it's
> really a dialect name for a wholesome and popular dish.
> What is pastafazoola? Describe it briefly.
>

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between
>
> The following questions derive from a variety of sciences. In each
> case, you will be given two members of a series, such as stages
> or steps or layers. You give the one that lies between them.
>
> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

mantle

> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

stratosphere

> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?

carbon

> 4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

class

> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

nanosecond

> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

yellow

> 7. On the electromagnetic spectrum, what lies between infrared
> waves and radio waves, measuring from 300 MHz to 300 GHz?

microwaves

> 8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
> the Paleozoic?

Mesozoic

> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

pupa

> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

denial

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3: Italian food, between

<sko2jf$1he6$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3362&group=rec.games.trivia#3362

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 22:31:58 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 03:31 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. The US Federal Election Commission ruled Thursday that this
> entertainer can use the resources of his TV show to support his
> self-named political action committee. His response to the
> decision: "I don't accept the status quo. I do accept Visa,
> Mastercard or American Express." Name the entertainer.
>
> 2. For only the second time, the United Nations has declared
> a disease officially eradicated. This virulent disease, with
> fatality rates as high as 95%, has been fingered variously for
> the fall of the Roman Empire, the conquests of the Mongols,
> and the French and Russian Revolutions. Name it.
>

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy
>
> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

Tomato

> 2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
> what will you get? Describe it briefly.
>
> 3. If you choose to have "zuppa Inglese", or "English soup" for
> dessert, what rich treat will you be enjoying? Name it in
> English.
>
> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.
>
> 5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
> soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.
>
> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.
>
> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.
>
> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.
>
> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

Biscotte

> 10. "Pastafazoola" might sound like a made-up word, but it's
> really a dialect name for a wholesome and popular dish.
> What is pastafazoola? Describe it briefly.

Soup with pasta and beans

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between
>
> The following questions derive from a variety of sciences. In each
> case, you will be given two members of a series, such as stages
> or steps or layers. You give the one that lies between them.
>
> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

Mantle

> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

Ionosphere

> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?
>
> 4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

Class

> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

Nanosecond

> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

Red

> 7. On the electromagnetic spectrum, what lies between infrared
> waves and radio waves, measuring from 300 MHz to 300 GHz?
>
> 8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
> the Paleozoic?

Mesozoic

> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

Pupa

> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

Negotiation

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, between

<07KdnXUcS5LpBfL8nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3363&group=rec.games.trivia#3363

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, between
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:17:56 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. The US Federal Election Commission ruled Thursday that this
> entertainer can use the resources of his TV show to support his
> self-named political action committee. His response to the
> decision: "I don't accept the status quo. I do accept Visa,
> Mastercard or American Express." Name the entertainer.

Stephen Colbert.

> 2. For only the second time, the United Nations has declared
> a disease officially eradicated. This virulent disease, with
> fatality rates as high as 95%, has been fingered variously for
> the fall of the Roman Empire, the conquests of the Mongols,
> and the French and Russian Revolutions. Name it.

Rinderpest (or "cattle plague").

Smallpox was the *first* disease officially declared eradicated.

> * Game 8, Round 2 - Geography - A Taste of Italy

> 1. When these first reached Italy in the 16th century, they were
> given the name "golden apples". It's impossible to imagine
> Italian cooking without them. What do we call a "golden apple"
> in English?

Tomato. (Pomodoro = pomo d'oro = apple of gold.) 4 for everyone --
Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. If you're in a restaurant in Italy and you ask for a "macedonia",
> what will you get? Describe it briefly.

Fruit salad. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 3. If you choose to have "zuppa Inglese", or "English soup" for
> dessert, what rich treat will you be enjoying? Name it in
> English.

Trifle.

> 4. In Canada, when we ask for pepperoni on our pizza, we expect
> a kind of salami. But if you're in Italy and ask for peperoni,
> with two single P's, what will you get? Be sufficiently
> specific.

Bell peppers (or sweet/green/red peppers or capsicum; but not hot
peppers, which are peperoncini).

> 5. If you order a dish whose name translates literally as "big
> soup", what will the waiter bring? Name it.

Minestrone. (Minestra = soup, one = big.) 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 6. If you ask your waiter for a "lift-me-up", what dessert will
> arrive at your table? Name it.

Tiramisu. (Tira = pull, lift; mi = me; su = up.) 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 7. If you ask for "slutty" pasta sauce, what kind of sauce will
> you be served? Name it.

Puttanesca. (Puttana = prostitute.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 8. This pasta sauce supposedly takes its name from the similarity
> of the ground pepper on top to little chunks of coal. Name it.

Carbonara. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
> "biscotti"?

Biscotto. (Exact spelling required, of course.) 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

By the same token, one strand of spaghetti is "uno spaghetto".
When I posted this round in 2012, Stan Brown suggested that someone
who insists on "biscotto" would probably "ask for a martinus to
drink".

> 10. "Pastafazoola" might sound like a made-up word, but it's
> really a dialect name for a wholesome and popular dish.
> What is pastafazoola? Describe it briefly.

Pasta and beans. (Pasta e fagioli.) 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> * Game 8, Round 3 - Science - What Lies Between

> The following questions derive from a variety of sciences. In each
> case, you will be given two members of a series, such as stages
> or steps or layers. You give the one that lies between them.

> 1. In the earth's structure, what lies between the crust and
> the core?

Mantle. 4 for everyone.

> 2. In the atmosphere, what layer lies between the troposphere and
> the mesosphere?

Stratosphere. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. On the periodic table, what element lies between boron and
> nitrogen?

Carbon. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. In biological classification, what lies between phylum and order?

Class. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. What unit of time lies between a microsecond and a picosecond?

Nanosecond. 4 for everyone.

> 6. In the electromagnetic spectrum, what color of light lies
> between green and orange?

Yellow. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. On the electromagnetic spectrum, what lies between infrared
> waves and radio waves, measuring from 300 MHz to 300 GHz?

Microwaves. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 8. In geologic history, what era lies between the Cenozoic and
> the Paleozoic?

Mesozoic. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. In butterfly (not moth) metamorphosis, what stage lies between
> larva and adult ?

Pupa or chrysalis or nympha. (Only moths have cocoons.)
4 for everyone.

> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
> between anger and depression?

Bargaining. I accepted "negotiation". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 32 36 68
Erland Sommarskog 24 28 52
Dan Tilque 8 36 44
Dan Blum 20 24 44
Pete Gayde 8 24 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Since you invoked Wikipedia, I used [it] in my defense.
msb@vex.net | Don't make me do that again. --Stephen Perry

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 2-3 answers: Italian food, between

<XnsADC9CFD1C33B5Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3366&group=rec.games.trivia#3366

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:25:46 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:25 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 9. Whatever they tell you at Starbucks, you can't have one biscotti,
>> because "biscotti" is plural. What is the singular of
>> "biscotti"?
>
> Biscotto. (Exact spelling required, of course.) 4 for Erland,
> Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
>
> By the same token, one strand of spaghetti is "uno spaghetto".

The challenge, if you know Italian, is whether singular is -o or -e,
as both these endings results in -i in plural. A singular in -a
normally results in -e in plural.

> When I posted this round in 2012, Stan Brown suggested that someone
> who insists on "biscotto" would probably "ask for a martinus to
> drink".

But that is probably "un martini" in singular, as Martini in this case
is a surname. Many years ago, I actually visited the production site of
Martini & Rossi.

>> 10. In the Kubler-Ross model of the stages of grief, what lies
>> between anger and depression?
>
> Bargaining. I accepted "negotiation". 4 for Joshua and Pete.

Denial, that some entrants hand is the first stage, I believe. My mind
was blocked by "acceptance", but I knew that is the last stage.