There are more dead people than living, and their numbers are increasing. -- Eugene Ionesco

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy litPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: fringe hist, tough-guy litMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<laKdnUR-5LdlBfL8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3364&group=rec.games.trivia#3364

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 23:20:08 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:20 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History

This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
contrary to accepted historical research.

1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
its journey through the solar system caused many of the
floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
"Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.

2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
bestselling book. What was its title?

3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
border of Turkey and Armenia?

4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
into the hollow earth?

7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
popular candidates.

8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
New -- what?

9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?

10. In 2003 Dan Brown became wealthy suggesting that Jesus married,
had kids, and that those kids sired the ruling families of
Europe. The idea had been proposed seriously in a 1982 book
21 years before "The Da Vinci Code". The authors sued Brown
-- unsuccessfully, because his book had acknowledged theirs.
Name their book.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: va gur avagu
dhrfgvba, gur oraribyrag xvat'f anzr vf gjb jbeqf. Vs lbh tnir
bayl bar jbeq, tb onpx naq nqq gur bgure bar.

* Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Tough Guys

Every once in a while you want a hero who is as tough as nails.
Identify these "real men" of thriller, mystery, and espionage
novels.

1. He is an ex-military police officer who travels the States with
just a toothbrush in his pocket, righting wrongs and beating
up bad guys, in """14""" books by Lee Child. Titles include
"The Killing Floor", "Gone Tomorrow", and "Worth Dying For".
Name the tough guy.

2. The hero of """21""" action-adventure books by Clive Cussler,
this tough guy works for the National Underwater Marine Agency,
doing stuff like "Raising the Titanic" and finding Civil-War-era
ships in the "Sahara". Matthew McConaughey played him in the
movie "Sahara". Who is he?

3. Robert Ludlum's most famous tough guy is the amnesiac hero
of a """trilogy""" of novels that see the hero, a highly-trained
assassin, struggle to make sense of his past. Name this
tough guy. (Give his usual name used in the stories, not any
other name.)

4. This Israeli art restorer is also a former assassin responsible
for hunting down half the Munich Olympics terrorists. He is
the hero of """10""" bestsellers by Daniel Silva, including
"The Rembrandt Affair" and "Moscow Rules". Name him.

5. The hero of the NY Times #1 bestseller "The Faithful Spy" in
2008, and """4""" other books by Edgar-winner Alex Berenson,
this tough guy -- a CIA agent -- spent years undercover with
Al Qaeda; and now, back in the States, has to prevent a new
terrorist attack in each installment of the series. Name him.

6. This American-Japanese assassin specializes in death by
apparent natural causes and struggles with his role in life,
in """6""" novels by Barry Eisler, """4""" of which include
his meteorologically-inspired name in the title. Name him.

7. The father was an Arkansas police officer in the 1940s and '50s,
and the son is a Vietnam War vet, a sniper played by Mark
Wahlberg in the 2007 movie "Shooter". In """two related
series""" of books by Stephen Hunter, including "Dead Zero",
"I, Sniper", and "Pale Horse Coming", their knowledge of gun
culture helps them succeed. What is their family name?

8. Robert Crais has written """14""" novels featuring two
hard-boiled protagonists in Los Angeles: one an ex-Ranger and
investigator with an eye for Disney memorabilia, the other a
sunglass-wearing ex-marine and gunshop owner. The """most
famous""" book of the series is probably "L.A. Requiem".
Name either protagonist.

9. An ex-boxer, a Bostonian, and a private detective with a heart of
gold, this tough guy's sidekicks include Hawk and Chollo.
Name him.

10. This tough guy helps recovers lost or stolen property for 50%
of the item's value, in """21""" novels by John D. MacDonald,
each with the name of a color in the title. He lives on his
houseboat in Florida. Name him.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | This process can check if this value is zero, and if
msb@vex.net | it is, it does something child-like. --F. Burkowski

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<fb8a8d52-c3da-4d1d-a8f6-a84c56e1a5a2n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3365&group=rec.games.trivia#3365

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2021 21:46:35 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 04:46 UTC

On Tuesday, October 19, 2021 at 11:20:14 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History
>
> This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
> contrary to accepted historical research.
>
> 1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
> mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
> originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
> its journey through the solar system caused many of the
> floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
> Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
> "Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.

Velikovsky
> 2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
> ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
> Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
> technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
> bestselling book. What was its title?

"Chariots of the Gods"

> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Mt. Ararat

> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

Ark of the Covenant

> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China

> 7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
> odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
> he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
> as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
> been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
> of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
> popular candidates.

Edward de Vere

> 8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
> Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
> that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
> for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
> Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
> name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
> New -- what?

Chronology

> 9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
> in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
> ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
> stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
> ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?

Prester John

> 10. In 2003 Dan Brown became wealthy suggesting that Jesus married,
> had kids, and that those kids sired the ruling families of
> Europe. The idea had been proposed seriously in a 1982 book
> 21 years before "The Da Vinci Code". The authors sued Brown
> -- unsuccessfully, because his book had acknowledged theirs.
> Name their book.

"The Bloodline of the Holy Grail"

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Tough Guys
>
> Every once in a while you want a hero who is as tough as nails.
> Identify these "real men" of thriller, mystery, and espionage
> novels.
>
> 3. Robert Ludlum's most famous tough guy is the amnesiac hero
> of a """trilogy""" of novels that see the hero, a highly-trained
> assassin, struggle to make sense of his past. Name this
> tough guy. (Give his usual name used in the stories, not any
> other name.)

Bourne

> 9. An ex-boxer, a Bostonian, and a private detective with a heart of
> gold, this tough guy's sidekicks include Hawk and Chollo.
> Name him.

Spenser
--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<XnsADC9D0DE7474AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3367&group=rec.games.trivia#3367

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2021 20:31:57 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 20 Oct 2021 18:31 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History
>
> This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
> contrary to accepted historical research.
>
> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Ararat
> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

The cloth in which the dead body of Christ was wrapped.
> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China
> 6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
> to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
> claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
> polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
> a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
> into the hollow earth?

Charles Lindbergh

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<skt4tr$321$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3368&group=rec.games.trivia#3368

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 01:42:19 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 01:42 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History

> 1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
> mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
> originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
> its journey through the solar system caused many of the
> floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
> Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
> "Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.

Velikovsky

> 2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
> ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
> Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
> technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
> bestselling book. What was its title?

Chariots of the Gods

> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Mt. Ararat

> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

The Ark of the Covenant

> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China

> 6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
> to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
> claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
> polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
> a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
> into the hollow earth?

Byrd

> 7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
> odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
> he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
> as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
> been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
> of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
> popular candidates.

Sir Francis Bacon

> 8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
> Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
> that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
> for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
> Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
> name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
> New -- what?

Historiography

> 9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
> in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
> ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
> stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
> ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?

Prester John

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Tough Guys

> 1. He is an ex-military police officer who travels the States with
> just a toothbrush in his pocket, righting wrongs and beating
> up bad guys, in """14""" books by Lee Child. Titles include
> "The Killing Floor", "Gone Tomorrow", and "Worth Dying For".
> Name the tough guy.

Reacher

> 3. Robert Ludlum's most famous tough guy is the amnesiac hero
> of a """trilogy""" of novels that see the hero, a highly-trained
> assassin, struggle to make sense of his past. Name this
> tough guy. (Give his usual name used in the stories, not any
> other name.)

Jason Bourne

> 9. An ex-boxer, a Bostonian, and a private detective with a heart of
> gold, this tough guy's sidekicks include Hawk and Chollo.
> Name him.

Spenser

> 10. This tough guy helps recovers lost or stolen property for 50%
> of the item's value, in """21""" novels by John D. MacDonald,
> each with the name of a color in the title. He lives on his
> houseboat in Florida. Name him.

Travis McGee

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<skteor$cc1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3369&group=rec.games.trivia#3369

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2021 21:30:17 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 04:30 UTC

On 10/19/21 9:20 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History
>
> This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
> contrary to accepted historical research.
>
> 1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
> mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
> originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
> its journey through the solar system caused many of the
> floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
> Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
> "Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.

Velikovsky

> 2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
> ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
> Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
> technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
> bestselling book. What was its title?

Chariots of the Gods

> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Ararat

> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

Ark of the Covenant

> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China

> 6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
> to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
> claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
> polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
> a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
> into the hollow earth?

Peary

(I believe Peary was dead by 1947, but he's the only American
aviator-polar explorer I can think of.)

> 7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
> odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
> he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
> as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
> been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
> of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
> popular candidates.

Edward de Vere

> 8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
> Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
> that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
> for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
> Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
> name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
> New -- what?

Chronology

> 9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
> in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
> ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
> stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
> ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?

Prester John

> 10. In 2003 Dan Brown became wealthy suggesting that Jesus married,
> had kids, and that those kids sired the ruling families of
> Europe. The idea had been proposed seriously in a 1982 book
> 21 years before "The Da Vinci Code". The authors sued Brown
> -- unsuccessfully, because his book had acknowledged theirs.
> Name their book.

Holy Blood, Holy Grail

> [...]
>
> 8. Robert Crais has written """14""" novels featuring two
> hard-boiled protagonists in Los Angeles: one an ex-Ranger and
> investigator with an eye for Disney memorabilia, the other a
> sunglass-wearing ex-marine and gunshop owner. The """most
> famous""" book of the series is probably "L.A. Requiem".
> Name either protagonist.
>
> 9. An ex-boxer, a Bostonian, and a private detective with a heart of
> gold, this tough guy's sidekicks include Hawk and Chollo.
> Name him.
>
> 10. This tough guy helps recovers lost or stolen property for 50%
> of the item's value, in """21""" novels by John D. MacDonald,
> each with the name of a color in the title. He lives on his
> houseboat in Florida. Name him.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<skuqer$1blt$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3370&group=rec.games.trivia#3370

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 11:55:55 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 22 Oct 2021 16:55 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History
>
> This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
> contrary to accepted historical research.
>
> 1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
> mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
> originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
> its journey through the solar system caused many of the
> floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
> Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
> "Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.
>
> 2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
> ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
> Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
> technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
> bestselling book. What was its title?
>
> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Ararat

> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

Ark of the Covenant

> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China

> 6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
> to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
> claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
> polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
> a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
> into the hollow earth?

Peary; Byrd

> 7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
> odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
> he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
> as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
> been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
> of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
> popular candidates.

Johnson

> 8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
> Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
> that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
> for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
> Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
> name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
> New -- what?
>
> 9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
> in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
> ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
> stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
> ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?
>
> 10. In 2003 Dan Brown became wealthy suggesting that Jesus married,
> had kids, and that those kids sired the ruling families of
> Europe. The idea had been proposed seriously in a 1982 book
> 21 years before "The Da Vinci Code". The authors sued Brown
> -- unsuccessfully, because his book had acknowledged theirs.
> Name their book.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: va gur avagu
> dhrfgvba, gur oraribyrag xvat'f anzr vf gjb jbeqf. Vs lbh tnir
> bayl bar jbeq, tb onpx naq nqq gur bgure bar.
>

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Tough Guys
>
> Every once in a while you want a hero who is as tough as nails.
> Identify these "real men" of thriller, mystery, and espionage
> novels.
>
> 1. He is an ex-military police officer who travels the States with
> just a toothbrush in his pocket, righting wrongs and beating
> up bad guys, in """14""" books by Lee Child. Titles include
> "The Killing Floor", "Gone Tomorrow", and "Worth Dying For".
> Name the tough guy.
>
> 2. The hero of """21""" action-adventure books by Clive Cussler,
> this tough guy works for the National Underwater Marine Agency,
> doing stuff like "Raising the Titanic" and finding Civil-War-era
> ships in the "Sahara". Matthew McConaughey played him in the
> movie "Sahara". Who is he?
>
> 3. Robert Ludlum's most famous tough guy is the amnesiac hero
> of a """trilogy""" of novels that see the hero, a highly-trained
> assassin, struggle to make sense of his past. Name this
> tough guy. (Give his usual name used in the stories, not any
> other name.)

Jason Bourne

> 4. This Israeli art restorer is also a former assassin responsible
> for hunting down half the Munich Olympics terrorists. He is
> the hero of """10""" bestsellers by Daniel Silva, including
> "The Rembrandt Affair" and "Moscow Rules". Name him.
>
> 5. The hero of the NY Times #1 bestseller "The Faithful Spy" in
> 2008, and """4""" other books by Edgar-winner Alex Berenson,
> this tough guy -- a CIA agent -- spent years undercover with
> Al Qaeda; and now, back in the States, has to prevent a new
> terrorist attack in each installment of the series. Name him.
>
> 6. This American-Japanese assassin specializes in death by
> apparent natural causes and struggles with his role in life,
> in """6""" novels by Barry Eisler, """4""" of which include
> his meteorologically-inspired name in the title. Name him.
>
> 7. The father was an Arkansas police officer in the 1940s and '50s,
> and the son is a Vietnam War vet, a sniper played by Mark
> Wahlberg in the 2007 movie "Shooter". In """two related
> series""" of books by Stephen Hunter, including "Dead Zero",
> "I, Sniper", and "Pale Horse Coming", their knowledge of gun
> culture helps them succeed. What is their family name?
>
> 8. Robert Crais has written """14""" novels featuring two
> hard-boiled protagonists in Los Angeles: one an ex-Ranger and
> investigator with an eye for Disney memorabilia, the other a
> sunglass-wearing ex-marine and gunshop owner. The """most
> famous""" book of the series is probably "L.A. Requiem".
> Name either protagonist.
>
> 9. An ex-boxer, a Bostonian, and a private detective with a heart of
> gold, this tough guy's sidekicks include Hawk and Chollo.
> Name him.
>
> 10. This tough guy helps recovers lost or stolen property for 50%
> of the item's value, in """21""" novels by John D. MacDonald,
> each with the name of a color in the title. He lives on his
> houseboat in Florida. Name him.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: fringe hist, tough-guy lit

<mpmdnT1y6Pg5Fu78nZ2dnUU7-VfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3371&group=rec.games.trivia#3371

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 4,6 answers: fringe hist, tough-guy lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2021 23:12:20 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 23 Oct 2021 04:12 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 4 - Fringe History

> This round is about some ideas that have, shall we say, run
> contrary to accepted historical research.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. In the 1950s a Russian-born American psychoanalyst used
> mythological and religious texts to "prove" that Venus was
> originally a comet belched forth from Jupiter, and that
> its journey through the solar system caused many of the
> floods, plagues and cataclysms in the Bible and other texts.
> Works include "Worlds in Collision", "Ages in Chaos", and
> "Earth in Upheaval". Name the author.

Immanuel Velikovsky. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

Isaac Asimov commented on "Worlds in Collision":

Velikovsky... does not believe in either poetry or metaphor.
He wants a literal rain of fire and he uses comet Venue to
explain it.

On page 53, he says: "The tails of comets are composed mainly
of carbon and hydrogen gases. Lacking oxygen, they do not
burn in flight, but the inflammable gases, passing through
an atmosphere containing oxygen, will be set on fire."

These are impressive sentences. The very phrase "carbon and
hydrogen gases" takes my breath away. Hydrogen is, indeed,
a gas at ordinary cometary temperaties, but carbon is *not*.
It is, in fact, among the least gaseous substances known and
it takes a temperature of 4200°C (7500°F) to make it gaseous.

Now I am a chemist. If Velikovsky want to say that Laplace's
analysis of celestial mechanics is all wrong and that Venus
can emerge from Jupiter and settle down in its present orbit,
I will smile. If he wants to say that Egyptologists don't know
the difference betweeen 1200 BC and 2200 BC, I will grin.

But if he says carbon is a gas, *that's going too far*.

> 2. In 1968, Swiss author Erich Von Daniken proposed that some
> ancient structures, artwork and artifacts, for example the
> Nazca lines in Peru, were evidence of early contact with
> technologically advanced aliens. He published his ideas in a
> bestselling book. What was its title?

"Chariots of the Gods". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Apollo 15 astronaut James Irwin led two unsuccessful expeditions
> to Armenia in the 1980's to prove that Noah's Ark still rests
> in the snow and ice near the summit of what mountain on the
> border of Turkey and Armenia?

Mt. Ararat. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 4. It rests in a church in Aksum, Ethiopia, closely guarded by a
> special group of holy men. Apparently it was brought there from
> the Holy Land for its protection in the 6th century BC. In his
> 1992 book "The Sign and the Seal", British journalist Graham
> Hancock relates his quest to track down that item. What is it?

The Ark of the Covenant (or the tabernacle). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. In 2002 retired submariner Gavin Menzies asserted that in 1421,
> 70 years before Columbus, a fleet of enormous ships circum-
> navigated the globe, touching all the continents, including the
> Americas. From which country were they alleged to have set sail?

China. 4 for everyone.

> 6. Many people believe that the earth is hollow, with entrances
> to this subterranean world located at the poles. These groups
> claim that in February 1947, a famous American aviator and
> polar explorer flew to this world and received from its leader
> a warning to be careful with atomic energy. Who allegedly flew
> into the hollow earth?

Admiral Richard Byrd. 4 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 7. William Shakespeare's humble origins and obscure life seem at
> odds with the genius of his works, leading some to believe that
> he didn't write them. Most Shakespearean scholars regard this
> as a fringe belief, but over 70 candidates for authorship have
> been put forward. Only four of them have signicant numbers
> of followers, though, so name *any one* of those four most
> popular candidates.

Christopher Marlowe; Francis Bacon; William Stanley (Earl of Derby);
and, as per the """recent""" movie "Anonymous", Edward de Vere (Earl
of Oxford). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

In 1964, on the 400th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, a cafe named
the Chef Corner, in Watford, England, reportedly posted a sign saying
that in honor of the occasion, "Bacon will not be served here today".

> 8. Did it really happen when the history books say it did?
> Anatoly Fomenko and other Russian mathematicians have argued
> that many events occurred much later than is commonly believed,
> for instance that the Middle Ages were very short, and that
> Jesus lived in the 12th Century. This belief, which takes its
> name from the study of the order of events, is known as the
> New -- what?

Chronology. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> 9. From the 12th to the 17th century, many Europeans believed that
> in Central Asia, India, or perhaps Ethiopia, a benevolent king
> ruled a lost Christian kingdom. This belief led to many popular
> stories and even quests to find him until the age of exploration
> ruled out his existence. What was this king's name?

Prester John (both words required). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 10. In 2003 Dan Brown became wealthy suggesting that Jesus married,
> had kids, and that those kids sired the ruling families of
> Europe. The idea had been proposed seriously in a 1982 book
> 21 years before "The Da Vinci Code". The authors sued Brown
> -- unsuccessfully, because his book had acknowledged theirs.
> Name their book.

"The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail". 3 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 8, Round 6 - Literature - Tough Guys

> Every once in a while you want a hero who is as tough as nails.
> Identify these "real men" of thriller, mystery, and espionage
> novels.

This was the hardest round in the original game and the 2nd-hardest
of the entire season.

I haven't checked how many books now exist in each series.

> 1. He is an ex-military police officer who travels the States with
> just a toothbrush in his pocket, righting wrongs and beating
> up bad guys, in """14""" books by Lee Child. Titles include
> "The Killing Floor", "Gone Tomorrow", and "Worth Dying For".
> Name the tough guy.

Jack Reacher. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. The hero of """21""" action-adventure books by Clive Cussler,
> this tough guy works for the National Underwater Marine Agency,
> doing stuff like "Raising the Titanic" and finding Civil-War-era
> ships in the "Sahara". Matthew McConaughey played him in the
> movie "Sahara". Who is he?

Dirk Pitt.

> 3. Robert Ludlum's most famous tough guy is the amnesiac hero
> of a """trilogy""" of novels that see the hero, a highly-trained
> assassin, struggle to make sense of his past. Name this
> tough guy. (Give his usual name used in the stories, not any
> other name.)

Jason Bourne. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. This Israeli art restorer is also a former assassin responsible
> for hunting down half the Munich Olympics terrorists. He is
> the hero of """10""" bestsellers by Daniel Silva, including
> "The Rembrandt Affair" and "Moscow Rules". Name him.

Gabriel Allon.

> 5. The hero of the NY Times #1 bestseller "The Faithful Spy" in
> 2008, and """4""" other books by Edgar-winner Alex Berenson,
> this tough guy -- a CIA agent -- spent years undercover with
> Al Qaeda; and now, back in the States, has to prevent a new
> terrorist attack in each installment of the series. Name him.

John Wells.

> 6. This American-Japanese assassin specializes in death by
> apparent natural causes and struggles with his role in life,
> in """6""" novels by Barry Eisler, """4""" of which include
> his meteorologically-inspired name in the title. Name him.

John Rain.

> 7. The father was an Arkansas police officer in the 1940s and '50s,
> and the son is a Vietnam War vet, a sniper played by Mark
> Wahlberg in the 2007 movie "Shooter". In """two related
> series""" of books by Stephen Hunter, including "Dead Zero",
> "I, Sniper", and "Pale Horse Coming", their knowledge of gun
> culture helps them succeed. What is their family name?

Click here to read the complete article