Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: sport names, fruity challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeErland Sommarskog
|`- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challengeDan Tilque
`- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: sport names, fruity challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<pIidnUipMd_-Der8nZ2dnUU7-SvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3379&group=rec.games.trivia#3379

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 00:21:39 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 05:21 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game

Whether for greatness or notoriety, their names have become part of
the lexicon of sports. The following questions are about sports
terms derived from people's names. (Note: On those questions
where we ask for the name of a thing and say it's named after a
person, you have to give the full name of the thing; don't just
name the person. For example, a "Ponzi *scheme*", not a "Ponzi".)

1. Long ago, there was the Straddle Technique, the Eastern Cut-Off
and the Western Roll. Then in the summer Olympics of 1968, a
whole new way of high-jumping took the athletics world by storm.
Named after the jumper who introduced it, what is it called?

2. This special kind of "hat trick" requires a hockey player to
score a goal, get an assist, and get in a fight -- all in
one game. The "Hockey News" has kept this stat since 1996.
The famous player that it's named after achieved this "feat" only
a few times in his career -- the first time in 1953. Name him.

3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
"no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
still apply to today?

4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
What sport are we talking about?

5. First called Hack-a-Rodman, this strategy hinders scoring
opportunities by deliberately fouling against a strong player
who can't free-throw. Dennis Rodman was one such player,
but the name was made much snappier when it later took on the
name of this superstar center who played for L.A. from 1996 to
2004 and for Miami Heat until 2008. Give the new name of the
strategy just or name that player.

6. Johnny Pesky, second baseman and shortstop for the Red Sox
from 1942 to '52, hit a home run by the right field foul
pole. Since then, it's been called Pesky's Pole, and it
was commemorated as such in 2006 with a plaque at its base.
In which park """will you find""" Pesky's Pole?

7. In baseball, it refers to the threshold of incompetent hitting
-- a batting average of .200. Named after a Pittsburgh shortstop
from 1974 to '78, what is it called?

8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

9. This hockey "spin-a-rama" is a quick pivoting turn with
the puck, thus evading a check from an opponent. It was
coined by broadcaster Danny Gallivan and named after this
Conn-Smythe-winning defenseman from the Habs from 1966 to '82.
Whose name was given to this spinarama?

10. In gymnastics, on the uneven bars, from a stand on the high
bar, do a back flip and then regrasp the bar. This stunning
move was named after the Soviet gymnast who first performed it
in the 1972 Olympics. What is it called?

** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango

* A. Apple

A1. The apple is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits.
It is of the genus Malus and is in the same family as which
popular flower?

A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
What was the computer called?

* B. Banana

B1. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky were the four costumed
hosts and band members on which 1970s kids' TV show?

B2. Name the Australian children's television show that premiered
in July 1992 on ABC Television. The main characters are
two bananas named B1 and B2. The show is a worldwide hit
and has spawned concert tours.

* C. Blueberry

C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?

C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?

* D. Cherry

D1. This actress may be best-known for her role as President
Allison Taylor on the Fox series "24", for which she won
an Emmy. However, most of her career has been in the theater
on Broadway, including her Tony-winning lead performances
in Lincoln Center's 1995 production of "The Heiress" and
John Patrick Shanley's play "Doubt". Name her.

D2. Don Cherry """is""" known for wearing outrageous jackets in
various disturbing colors. He also was very fond of his
late Boston terrier. What was the dog's name?

* E. Grapefruit

E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
training in two southern US states to prepare for every
season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
be in what league?

E2. The grapefruit is thought to be a naturally occurring
hybrid fruit. One ancestor of the grapefruit was the
Jamaican sweet orange. What was the other?

* F. Mango

F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
same name as the tree -- what is it?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Damn! Damn! Damn! Er, I mean thanks, Mark."
msb@vex.net | --Steve Ball

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<sla05q$1r1$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3380&group=rec.games.trivia#3380

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 22:40:58 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 26 Oct 2021 22:40 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game

> 3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
> by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
> be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
> Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
> "no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
> still apply to today?

boxing

> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
> What sport are we talking about?

cricket

> 5. First called Hack-a-Rodman, this strategy hinders scoring
> opportunities by deliberately fouling against a strong player
> who can't free-throw. Dennis Rodman was one such player,
> but the name was made much snappier when it later took on the
> name of this superstar center who played for L.A. from 1996 to
> 2004 and for Miami Heat until 2008. Give the new name of the
> strategy just or name that player.

Hack-a-Shaq

> 6. Johnny Pesky, second baseman and shortstop for the Red Sox
> from 1942 to '52, hit a home run by the right field foul
> pole. Since then, it's been called Pesky's Pole, and it
> was commemorated as such in 2006 with a plaque at its base.
> In which park """will you find""" Pesky's Pole?

Fenway Park

> 8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
> invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

ice skating

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
> Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango

> * A. Apple

> A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
> sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
> What was the computer called?

Lisa

> * B. Banana

> B1. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky were the four costumed
> hosts and band members on which 1970s kids' TV show?

Bananarama

> B2. Name the Australian children's television show that premiered
> in July 1992 on ABC Television. The main characters are
> two bananas named B1 and B2. The show is a worldwide hit
> and has spawned concert tours.

Bananas in Pyjamas

> * C. Blueberry

> C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
> and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
> Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
> of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?

Blueberry Hill

> C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
> Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
> by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
> By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?

Moebius

> * E. Grapefruit

> E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
> training in two southern US states to prepare for every
> season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
> Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
> be in what league?

Cactus League

> E2. The grapefruit is thought to be a naturally occurring
> hybrid fruit. One ancestor of the grapefruit was the
> Jamaican sweet orange. What was the other?

lemon

> * F. Mango

> F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

Brazil; India

> F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
> in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
> The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
> and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
> same name as the tree -- what is it?

mangosteen

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<07947558-5017-4cfb-9f91-8beb9255ce0fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3381&group=rec.games.trivia#3381

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2021 22:08:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 05:08 UTC

On Tuesday, October 26, 2021 at 12:21:45 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game
>
> 1. Long ago, there was the Straddle Technique, the Eastern Cut-Off
> and the Western Roll. Then in the summer Olympics of 1968, a
> whole new way of high-jumping took the athletics world by storm.
> Named after the jumper who introduced it, what is it called?

Fosbury flop

> 2. This special kind of "hat trick" requires a hockey player to
> score a goal, get an assist, and get in a fight -- all in
> one game. The "Hockey News" has kept this stat since 1996.
> The famous player that it's named after achieved this "feat" only
> a few times in his career -- the first time in 1953. Name him.

Howe

> 3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
> by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
> be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
> Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
> "no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
> still apply to today?

boxing

> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
> What sport are we talking about?

darts

> 5. First called Hack-a-Rodman, this strategy hinders scoring
> opportunities by deliberately fouling against a strong player
> who can't free-throw. Dennis Rodman was one such player,
> but the name was made much snappier when it later took on the
> name of this superstar center who played for L.A. from 1996 to
> 2004 and for Miami Heat until 2008. Give the new name of the
> strategy just or name that player.

O'Neal

> 6. Johnny Pesky, second baseman and shortstop for the Red Sox
> from 1942 to '52, hit a home run by the right field foul
> pole. Since then, it's been called Pesky's Pole, and it
> was commemorated as such in 2006 with a plaque at its base.
> In which park """will you find""" Pesky's Pole?

Fenway Park

> 7. In baseball, it refers to the threshold of incompetent hitting
> -- a batting average of .200. Named after a Pittsburgh shortstop
> from 1974 to '78, what is it called?

Mendoza line

> 8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
> invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

figure skating

> 10. In gymnastics, on the uneven bars, from a stand on the high
> bar, do a back flip and then regrasp the bar. This stunning
> move was named after the Soviet gymnast who first performed it
> in the 1972 Olympics. What is it called?

Korbut

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
> Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango
>
> * A. Apple
>
> A1. The apple is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits.
> It is of the genus Malus and is in the same family as which
> popular flower?

rose

> A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
> sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
> What was the computer called?

Macintosh

> * B. Banana
>
> B1. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky were the four costumed
> hosts and band members on which 1970s kids' TV show?

"The Banana Splits"

> B2. Name the Australian children's television show that premiered
> in July 1992 on ABC Television. The main characters are
> two bananas named B1 and B2. The show is a worldwide hit
> and has spawned concert tours.

"Bananas in Pyjamas"

> * C. Blueberry
>
> C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
> and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
> Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
> of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?

"Blueberry Hill"

> C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
> Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
> by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
> By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?

Moebius

> * D. Cherry
>
> D1. This actress may be best-known for her role as President
> Allison Taylor on the Fox series "24", for which she won
> an Emmy. However, most of her career has been in the theater
> on Broadway, including her Tony-winning lead performances
> in Lincoln Center's 1995 production of "The Heiress" and
> John Patrick Shanley's play "Doubt". Name her.

Cherry Jones

> * E. Grapefruit
>
> E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
> training in two southern US states to prepare for every
> season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
> Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
> be in what league?

Cactus League
> * F. Mango
>
> F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

Brazil; China
> F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
> in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
> The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
> and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
> same name as the tree -- what is it?

mangosteen

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<XnsADD0DA51A6DB3Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3382&group=rec.games.trivia#3382

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:27:41 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game
>
> 1. Long ago, there was the Straddle Technique, the Eastern Cut-Off
> and the Western Roll. Then in the summer Olympics of 1968, a
> whole new way of high-jumping took the athletics world by storm.
> Named after the jumper who introduced it, what is it called?

Fosbury Flop
> 2. This special kind of "hat trick" requires a hockey player to
> score a goal, get an assist, and get in a fight -- all in
> one game. The "Hockey News" has kept this stat since 1996.
> The famous player that it's named after achieved this "feat" only
> a few times in his career -- the first time in 1953. Name him.

Gordie Howe
> 3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
> by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
> be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
> Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
> "no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
> still apply to today?

Rugby
> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
> What sport are we talking about?

Wrestling
> 8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
> invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

Swim jump
> 10. In gymnastics, on the uneven bars, from a stand on the high
> bar, do a back flip and then regrasp the bar. This stunning
> move was named after the Soviet gymnast who first performed it
> in the 1972 Olympics. What is it called?

Korbut flip
> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
> Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango
>
> A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
> sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
> What was the computer called?

MacIntosh
> * C. Blueberry
>
> C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
> and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
> Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
> of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?

Bluberry Hill
> C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
> Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
> by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
> By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?

Hegré
> * E. Grapefruit
>
> E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
> training in two southern US states to prepare for every
> season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
> Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
> be in what league?

Cactus League
> E2. The grapefruit is thought to be a naturally occurring
> hybrid fruit. One ancestor of the grapefruit was the
> Jamaican sweet orange. What was the other?

Beragmot
> * F. Mango
>
> F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

India
> F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
> in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
> The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
> and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
> same name as the tree -- what is it?
Mango?

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<XnsADD0DC33DAD91Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3383&group=rec.games.trivia#3383

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 21:38:48 +0200
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:38 UTC

Erland Sommarskog (esquel@sommarskog.se) writes:
>> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
>> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
>> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
>> What sport are we talking about?
>
> Wrestling

No, you cannot (easily) get 111 points in wrestling, but I did not
read the question that carefully. But you can apply a Nelson, or
at least a Half-Nelson in wrestling.

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: sport names, fruity challenge

<sld0sl$52r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3384&group=rec.games.trivia#3384

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2021 19:11:11 -0700
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 28 Oct 2021 02:11 UTC

On 10/25/21 10:21 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game
>
> Whether for greatness or notoriety, their names have become part of
> the lexicon of sports. The following questions are about sports
> terms derived from people's names. (Note: On those questions
> where we ask for the name of a thing and say it's named after a
> person, you have to give the full name of the thing; don't just
> name the person. For example, a "Ponzi *scheme*", not a "Ponzi".)
>
> 1. Long ago, there was the Straddle Technique, the Eastern Cut-Off
> and the Western Roll. Then in the summer Olympics of 1968, a
> whole new way of high-jumping took the athletics world by storm.
> Named after the jumper who introduced it, what is it called?

Fosbury flop

> 2. This special kind of "hat trick" requires a hockey player to
> score a goal, get an assist, and get in a fight -- all in
> one game. The "Hockey News" has kept this stat since 1996.
> The famous player that it's named after achieved this "feat" only
> a few times in his career -- the first time in 1953. Name him.
>
> 3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
> by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
> be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
> Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
> "no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
> still apply to today?

boxing

> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
> What sport are we talking about?

golf

> 5. First called Hack-a-Rodman, this strategy hinders scoring
> opportunities by deliberately fouling against a strong player
> who can't free-throw. Dennis Rodman was one such player,
> but the name was made much snappier when it later took on the
> name of this superstar center who played for L.A. from 1996 to
> 2004 and for Miami Heat until 2008. Give the new name of the
> strategy just or name that player.

hack-a-Shaq

> 6. Johnny Pesky, second baseman and shortstop for the Red Sox
> from 1942 to '52, hit a home run by the right field foul
> pole. Since then, it's been called Pesky's Pole, and it
> was commemorated as such in 2006 with a plaque at its base.
> In which park """will you find""" Pesky's Pole?

Fenway Park

> 7. In baseball, it refers to the threshold of incompetent hitting
> -- a batting average of .200. Named after a Pittsburgh shortstop
> from 1974 to '78, what is it called?
>
> 8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
> invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

figure skating

> 9. This hockey "spin-a-rama" is a quick pivoting turn with
> the puck, thus evading a check from an opponent. It was
> coined by broadcaster Danny Gallivan and named after this
> Conn-Smythe-winning defenseman from the Habs from 1966 to '82.
> Whose name was given to this spinarama?
>
> 10. In gymnastics, on the uneven bars, from a stand on the high
> bar, do a back flip and then regrasp the bar. This stunning
> move was named after the Soviet gymnast who first performed it
> in the 1972 Olympics. What is it called?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
> Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango
>
> * A. Apple
>
> A1. The apple is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits.
> It is of the genus Malus and is in the same family as which
> popular flower?

rose

> A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
> sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
> What was the computer called?

MacIntosh

> * B. Banana
>
> B1. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky were the four costumed
> hosts and band members on which 1970s kids' TV show?

The Banana Splits

> B2. Name the Australian children's television show that premiered
> in July 1992 on ABC Television. The main characters are
> two bananas named B1 and B2. The show is a worldwide hit
> and has spawned concert tours.
>

> * C. Blueberry
>
> C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
> and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
> Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
> of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?
>
> C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
> Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
> by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
> By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?
>

> * D. Cherry
>
> D1. This actress may be best-known for her role as President
> Allison Taylor on the Fox series "24", for which she won
> an Emmy. However, most of her career has been in the theater
> on Broadway, including her Tony-winning lead performances
> in Lincoln Center's 1995 production of "The Heiress" and
> John Patrick Shanley's play "Doubt". Name her.
>
> D2. Don Cherry """is""" known for wearing outrageous jackets in
> various disturbing colors. He also was very fond of his
> late Boston terrier. What was the dog's name?
>

> * E. Grapefruit
>
> E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
> training in two southern US states to prepare for every
> season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
> Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
> be in what league?

Cactus League

> E2. The grapefruit is thought to be a naturally occurring
> hybrid fruit. One ancestor of the grapefruit was the
> Jamaican sweet orange. What was the other?

tangerine

> * F. Mango
>
> F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

India; Brazil

> F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
> in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
> The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
> and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
> same name as the tree -- what is it?

guava

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: sport names, fruity challenge

<J4WdnXppqMupGOb8nZ2dnUU7-RHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3385&group=rec.games.trivia#3385

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 8, Rounds 9-10 answers: sport names, fruity challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2021 00:23:00 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 29 Oct 2021 05:23 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-04,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by a sizable margin.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Sports - The Name in the Game

> Whether for greatness or notoriety, their names have become part of
> the lexicon of sports. The following questions are about sports
> terms derived from people's names. (Note: On those questions
> where we ask for the name of a thing and say it's named after a
> person, you have to give the full name of the thing; don't just
> name the person. For example, a "Ponzi *scheme*", not a "Ponzi".)

> 1. Long ago, there was the Straddle Technique, the Eastern Cut-Off
> and the Western Roll. Then in the summer Olympics of 1968, a
> whole new way of high-jumping took the athletics world by storm.
> Named after the jumper who introduced it, what is it called?

Fosbury flop (after Dick Fosbury, US athlete). 4 for Joshua, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. This special kind of "hat trick" requires a hockey player to
> score a goal, get an assist, and get in a fight -- all in
> one game. The "Hockey News" has kept this stat since 1996.
> The famous player that it's named after achieved this "feat" only
> a few times in his career -- the first time in 1953. Name him.

Gordie Howe. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 3. A formalized code of conduct from 1857 was publicly endorsed
> by John Douglas, 9th Marquess of Queensberry, and came to
> be known simply as the "Queensberry Rules" or "Marquess of
> Queensberry Rules". Notable rules: keep it sportsmanlike, and
> "no boots with spikes". What sport do the Queensberry rules
> still apply to today?

Boxing. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. In this sport, a score of 111 is often called a "Nelson",
> named after Lord Nelson, possibly because he had 1 eye, 1 arm,
> and 1 leg -- although the last bit embroiders the truth a little.
> What sport are we talking about?

Cricket was the expected answer, but darts was accepted on a protest.
4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 5. First called Hack-a-Rodman, this strategy hinders scoring
> opportunities by deliberately fouling against a strong player
> who can't free-throw. Dennis Rodman was one such player,
> but the name was made much snappier when it later took on the
> name of this superstar center who played for L.A. from 1996 to
> 2004 and for Miami Heat until 2008. Give the new name of the
> strategy just or name that player.

Hack-a-Shaq, Shaquille O'Neal. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Johnny Pesky, second baseman and shortstop for the Red Sox
> from 1942 to '52, hit a home run by the right field foul
> pole. Since then, it's been called Pesky's Pole, and it
> was commemorated as such in 2006 with a plaque at its base.
> In which park """will you find""" Pesky's Pole?

Fenway Park. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. In baseball, it refers to the threshold of incompetent hitting
> -- a batting average of .200. Named after a Pittsburgh shortstop
> from 1974 to '78, what is it called?

The Mendoza Line (after Mario Mendoza). 4 for Joshua.

> 8. Alois Lutz performed the Lutz in 1913. Ulrich Salchow ("Sal-ko")
> invented the Salchow in 1909. What sport?

Figure skating. I accepted "ice skating". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. This hockey "spin-a-rama" is a quick pivoting turn with
> the puck, thus evading a check from an opponent. It was
> coined by broadcaster Danny Gallivan and named after this
> Conn-Smythe-winning defenseman from the Habs from 1966 to '82.
> Whose name was given to this spinarama?

Serge Savard (the Savardian Spinarama).

> 10. In gymnastics, on the uneven bars, from a stand on the high
> bar, do a back flip and then regrasp the bar. This stunning
> move was named after the Soviet gymnast who first performed it
> in the 1972 Olympics. What is it called?

The Korbut flip. 4 for Erland.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Apple, Banana, Blueberry,
> Cherry, Grapefruit, Mango

> * A. Apple

> A1. The apple is one of the most widely cultivated tree fruits.
> It is of the genus Malus and is in the same family as which
> popular flower?

Rose. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> A2. In 1983 Apple computers released the first personal computer
> sold to the public with a GUI (Graphical User Interface).
> What was the computer called?

Lisa. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * B. Banana

> B1. Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper, and Snorky were the four costumed
> hosts and band members on which 1970s kids' TV show?

"The Banana Splits". 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> B2. Name the Australian children's television show that premiered
> in July 1992 on ABC Television. The main characters are
> two bananas named B1 and B2. The show is a worldwide hit
> and has spawned concert tours.

"Bananas in Pyjamas". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * C. Blueberry

> C1. This song was an international hit in 1956 for Fats Domino,
> and has become a rock and roll standard. The version by
> Domino was also ranked #81 in "Rolling Stone" magazine's list
> of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. What is the song?

"(I Found my Thrill on) Blueberry Hill". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Erland.

> C2. "Blueberry" is a French movie adaptation of the popular
> Franco-Belgian comic book series "Blueberry", scripted
> by Jean-Michel Charlier and illustrated by Jean Giraud.
> By what pseudonym is Giraud better known?

Moebius. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> * D. Cherry

> D1. This actress may be best-known for her role as President
> Allison Taylor on the Fox series "24", for which she won
> an Emmy. However, most of her career has been in the theater
> on Broadway, including her Tony-winning lead performances
> in Lincoln Center's 1995 production of "The Heiress" and
> John Patrick Shanley's play "Doubt". Name her.

Cherry Jones. 4 for Joshua.

> D2. Don Cherry """is""" known for wearing outrageous jackets in
> various disturbing colors. He also was very fond of his
> late Boston terrier. What was the dog's name?

Blue. (Still alive, but I don't know if he's still wears the
jackets.)

> * E. Grapefruit

> E1. Major League Baseball teams spend over a month in spring
> training in two southern US states to prepare for every
> season. Teams that play in Florida are said to be in the
> Grapefruit League. Teams that play in Arizona are said to
> be in what league?

Cactus. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> E2. The grapefruit is thought to be a naturally occurring
> hybrid fruit. One ancestor of the grapefruit was the
> Jamaican sweet orange. What was the other?

(Indonesian) pomelo.

> * F. Mango

> F1. Which country is the world's largest producer of mangoes?

India. 4 for Erland. 3 for Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> F2. This tropical evergreen tree, believed to have originated
> in Indonesia, grows from 20 to 80 feet tall (5-25 m).
> The fragrant, purple, edible flesh of its fruit is sweet
> and tangy, juicy, and somewhat fibrous. The fruit has the
> same name as the tree -- what is it?

Mangosteen. (Not mango, a different tree and fruit.) 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Sci His Lit Can Ent Spo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 32 36 35 8 4 40 32 32 207
Dan Blum 20 24 32 16 4 28 20 26 150
Dan Tilque 8 36 35 0 4 4 20 15 118
Erland Sommarskog 24 28 8 0 0 12 12 12 96
Pete Gayde 8 24 14 4 4 15 -- -- 69

--
Mark Brader | "You can't go around quoting politicians accurately:
Toronto | that's dirty journalism, and you know it!"