From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2021 20:21:52 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 31 Oct 2021 19:21 UTC

It is time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time it is a
music quiz. There are 15 clips. For each clip there are one to three
questions, with a total of ten points per clip. There are also some
small hints with each clip. The music ranges from classical to rock
and a few items in between.

As always, no other aid than your own knowledge and post the answers to
the newsgroup. I am aiming at posting the results on Saturday 6th.

Have fun!

1. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/01.mp3
This is from one of the most famous classical works you can find,
although the clip is not from the very famous part of this work.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Name the work. (5p.)

2. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/02.mp3
This is the opening from an album from the height of the fusion era,
and this song has become a standard well beyond the fusion style,
recorded by many artists.
a) Name the band. (5p.)
b) Name either the tune or the album. (5p.)

3. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/03.mp3
This is the opening from the first album of this classic
heavy-metal band. Since the the band, the album and the song
all have the same name, there is only one question.
a) Give that name. (10p.)

4. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/04.mp3
Steeleye Span are known as a folk-rock band, but here they are
tackling a song from musical play from the first half of the 20th
century. On the Steeleye Span album, they use an alternate title
which you can hear in the clip.
a) Give the title normally used (and which is also is the name of
the character singing the song in the play) or give the name of
the play itself. (5p.)
b) Give one of i) The composer ii) The author of the original
lyrics or iii) or the translator of the English version. (5p.)

5. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/05.mp3
This piece of music is the oldest in this quiz. It is also one
of these really famous works that everyone knows about.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Name the work. (5p.)

6. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/06.mp3
This is a song with the Swedish singer Kal P. Dal named "Kungens Knall".
It is a cover with Swedish lyrics loosely drawn from the original,
recorded by a Canadian band. Although Kal P. Dal does not retain
the most famous gimmick in the original, you may still be able to
spot the song.
a) Name that Canadian band. (5p.)
b) Give the original English title. (5p.)

7. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/07.mp3
This is from a album released just a few months back with duets
for cello and piano. Some of these pieces were originally written
for that format, while others have been rearranged. Beethoven is
the dominating composer, but this is a piece from 1967.
a) Give the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the piece. (5p.)

8. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/08.mp3
A classic from the big-band era. Beware that I've cut out about
15 seconds from the clip, which is quite long enough anyway.
a) Give the band or the band leader. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the song. (5p.)

9. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/09.mp3
This artist was known for assuming several different personas, and
the title of this song is exactly the name of maybe the most
well-known of these personas.
a) Name the artist (5p.)
b) Give the name of the song and the persona. (5p.)

10. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/10.mp3
This is the end of a popular orchestra piece which repeats the
same melody a number times with a crescendo for each repetition
until this leads to the very quick breakdown that you hear in the
clip.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of this work. (5p.)

11. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/11.mp3.
This is a song with Donna Summer called "Protection". It is not
one of her big hits, but maybe you can still spot the song-writer,
who is one of the most famous artists of our days - but
certainly not as a disco artist. To my knowing, this is the only
song that the artist wrote for summer. You can also hear this
artist on the solo guitar towards the end of the clip.
a) Name the song-writer. (10p.)

12. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/12.mp3
This is a home recording, so don't try to identify the band. But
once the moped has faded away you will hear a well-known melody.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the piece or the work it is drawn from. (5p.)

13. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/13.mp3
Everybody knows this band. This is just one of their many hits.
a) Name the band. (5p.)
b) Name the song. (5p.)

14. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/14.mp3
Save for a short piano introduction, this is the opening from a
very classic jazz album. Note that the artist, composer and
band leader has yet to join in on the tune when the clip ends.
a) Name this artist and band leader. (5p.)
b) Name the album or just the song. (5p.)

15. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/15.mp3
This song was written in 1931, but it was its inclusion in a film
that this recording is taken from that made the song immortal.
a) Name the song. (4p.)
b) Name the film. (4p.)
c) Name the actor singing (2p.)

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time

<10745f8c-a7da-41e6-88a4-206f89c7527fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3396&group=rec.games.trivia#3396

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 16:33:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time
From: stephen....@gmail.com (swp)
 by: swp - Mon, 1 Nov 2021 23:33 UTC

On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 3:21:53 PM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It is time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time it is a
> music quiz. There are 15 clips. For each clip there are one to three
> questions, with a total of ten points per clip. There are also some
> small hints with each clip. The music ranges from classical to rock
> and a few items in between.
>
> As always, no other aid than your own knowledge and post the answers to
> the newsgroup. I am aiming at posting the results on Saturday 6th.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/01.mp3
> This is from one of the most famous classical works you can find,
> although the clip is not from the very famous part of this work.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

ludwig von beethoven

> b) Name the work. (5p.)

symphony no. 9

> 2. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/02.mp3
> This is the opening from an album from the height of the fusion era,
> and this song has become a standard well beyond the fusion style,
> recorded by many artists.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

weather report?

> b) Name either the tune or the album. (5p.)

birdland

> 3. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/03.mp3
> This is the opening from the first album of this classic
> heavy-metal band. Since the the band, the album and the song
> all have the same name, there is only one question.
> a) Give that name. (10p.)

black sabbath

> 4. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/04.mp3
> Steeleye Span are known as a folk-rock band, but here they are
> tackling a song from musical play from the first half of the 20th
> century. On the Steeleye Span album, they use an alternate title
> which you can hear in the clip.
> a) Give the title normally used (and which is also is the name of
> the character singing the song in the play) or give the name of
> the play itself. (5p.)

the black freighter from the threepenny opera

> b) Give one of i) The composer ii) The author of the original
> lyrics or iii) or the translator of the English version. (5p.)

bertolt brecht

> 5. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/05.mp3
> This piece of music is the oldest in this quiz. It is also one
> of these really famous works that everyone knows about.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

vivaldi

> b) Name the work. (5p.)

the 4 seasons, op. 8/4 'winter'

> 6. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/06.mp3
> This is a song with the Swedish singer Kal P. Dal named "Kungens Knall".
> It is a cover with Swedish lyrics loosely drawn from the original,
> recorded by a Canadian band. Although Kal P. Dal does not retain
> the most famous gimmick in the original, you may still be able to
> spot the song.
> a) Name that Canadian band. (5p.)

bto - bachman-turner overdrive

> b) Give the original English title. (5p.)

you aint seen nothing yet

> 7. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/07.mp3
> This is from a album released just a few months back with duets
> for cello and piano. Some of these pieces were originally written
> for that format, while others have been rearranged. Beethoven is
> the dominating composer, but this is a piece from 1967.
> a) Give the composer. (5p.)

jimmy hendrix

> b) Give the name of the piece. (5p.)

purple haze

> 8. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/08.mp3
> A classic from the big-band era. Beware that I've cut out about
> 15 seconds from the clip, which is quite long enough anyway.
> a) Give the band or the band leader. (5p.)

glenn miller

> b) Give the name of the song. (5p.)

chattanooga choo choo

> 9. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/09.mp3
> This artist was known for assuming several different personas, and
> the title of this song is exactly the name of maybe the most
> well-known of these personas.
> a) Name the artist (5p.)

david bowie

> b) Give the name of the song and the persona. (5p.)

ziggy stardust

> 10. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/10.mp3
> This is the end of a popular orchestra piece which repeats the
> same melody a number times with a crescendo for each repetition
> until this leads to the very quick breakdown that you hear in the
> clip.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

albert wolff

> b) Give the name of this work. (5p.)

bolero

> 11. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/11.mp3.
> This is a song with Donna Summer called "Protection". It is not
> one of her big hits, but maybe you can still spot the song-writer,
> who is one of the most famous artists of our days - but
> certainly not as a disco artist. To my knowing, this is the only
> song that the artist wrote for summer. You can also hear this
> artist on the solo guitar towards the end of the clip.
> a) Name the song-writer. (10p.)

bruce springstein

> 12. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/12.mp3
> This is a home recording, so don't try to identify the band. But
> once the moped has faded away you will hear a well-known melody.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

erland ; trans siberian orchestra

> b) Give the name of the piece or the work it is drawn from. (5p.)

in the hall of the mountain king ;; prelude to madness

> 13. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/13.mp3
> Everybody knows this band. This is just one of their many hits.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

the beatles

> b) Name the song. (5p.)

day tripper

> 14. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/14.mp3
> Save for a short piano introduction, this is the opening from a
> very classic jazz album. Note that the artist, composer and
> band leader has yet to join in on the tune when the clip ends.
> a) Name this artist and band leader. (5p.)

miles davis

> b) Name the album or just the song. (5p.)

so what

> 15. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/15.mp3
> This song was written in 1931, but it was its inclusion in a film
> that this recording is taken from that made the song immortal.
> a) Name the song. (4p.)

as time goes by

> b) Name the film. (4p.)

casablanca

> c) Name the actor singing (2p.)

dooley wilson

Thank You Erland! this was very fun and challenging

swp

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time

<4a98f4b6-e9d5-465f-89bb-79540f4b8f42n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3397&group=rec.games.trivia#3397

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2021 17:18:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 00:18 UTC

On Sunday, October 31, 2021 at 2:21:53 PM UTC-5, Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> 1. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/01.mp3
> This is from one of the most famous classical works you can find,
> although the clip is not from the very famous part of this work.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

Ludwig van Beethoven

> b) Name the work. (5p.)

Symphony No. 9

> 2. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/02.mp3
> This is the opening from an album from the height of the fusion era,
> and this song has become a standard well beyond the fusion style,
> recorded by many artists.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

Weather Report

> b) Name either the tune or the album. (5p.)

"Birdland"

> 3. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/03.mp3
> This is the opening from the first album of this classic
> heavy-metal band. Since the the band, the album and the song
> all have the same name, there is only one question.
> a) Give that name. (10p.)

Black Sabbath

> 4. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/04.mp3
> Steeleye Span are known as a folk-rock band, but here they are
> tackling a song from musical play from the first half of the 20th
> century. On the Steeleye Span album, they use an alternate title
> which you can hear in the clip.
> a) Give the title normally used (and which is also is the name of
> the character singing the song in the play) or give the name of
> the play itself. (5p.)

"The Threepenny Opera"
> b) Give one of i) The composer ii) The author of the original
> lyrics or iii) or the translator of the English version. (5p.)

Bertolt Brecht

> 6. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/06.mp3
> This is a song with the Swedish singer Kal P. Dal named "Kungens Knall".
> It is a cover with Swedish lyrics loosely drawn from the original,
> recorded by a Canadian band. Although Kal P. Dal does not retain
> the most famous gimmick in the original, you may still be able to
> spot the song.
> a) Name that Canadian band. (5p.)

Bachman-Turner Overdrive

> b) Give the original English title. (5p.)

"You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet"

> 7. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/07.mp3
> This is from a album released just a few months back with duets
> for cello and piano. Some of these pieces were originally written
> for that format, while others have been rearranged. Beethoven is
> the dominating composer, but this is a piece from 1967.
> a) Give the composer. (5p.)

Jimi Hendrix
> b) Give the name of the piece. (5p.)

"Purple Haze"

> 8. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/08.mp3
> A classic from the big-band era. Beware that I've cut out about
> 15 seconds from the clip, which is quite long enough anyway.
> a) Give the band or the band leader. (5p.)

Glenn Miller

> b) Give the name of the song. (5p.)

"Chattanooga Choo-Choo"

> 9. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/09.mp3
> This artist was known for assuming several different personas, and
> the title of this song is exactly the name of maybe the most
> well-known of these personas.
> a) Name the artist (5p.)

David Bowie

> b) Give the name of the song and the persona. (5p.)

Ziggy Stardust

> 11. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/11.mp3.
> This is a song with Donna Summer called "Protection". It is not
> one of her big hits, but maybe you can still spot the song-writer,
> who is one of the most famous artists of our days - but
> certainly not as a disco artist. To my knowing, this is the only
> song that the artist wrote for summer. You can also hear this
> artist on the solo guitar towards the end of the clip.
> a) Name the song-writer. (10p.)

Bruce Springsteen (?)
> 13. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/13.mp3
> Everybody knows this band. This is just one of their many hits.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

The Beatles

> b) Name the song. (5p.)

"Day Tripper"

> 14. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/14.mp3
> Save for a short piano introduction, this is the opening from a
> very classic jazz album. Note that the artist, composer and
> band leader has yet to join in on the tune when the clip ends.
> a) Name this artist and band leader. (5p.)

Miles Davis

> b) Name the album or just the song. (5p.)

"Kind of Blue"

> 15. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/15.mp3
> This song was written in 1931, but it was its inclusion in a film
> that this recording is taken from that made the song immortal.
> a) Name the song. (4p.)

"As Time Goes By"
> b) Name the film. (4p.)

"Casablanca"
> c) Name the actor singing (2p.)

Dooley Wilson

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time

<slsgm4$17rh$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3400&group=rec.games.trivia#3400

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 18:13:08 -0500
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 2 Nov 2021 23:13 UTC

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> It is time for one my occasional quizzes again. This time it is a
> music quiz. There are 15 clips. For each clip there are one to three
> questions, with a total of ten points per clip. There are also some
> small hints with each clip. The music ranges from classical to rock
> and a few items in between.
>
> As always, no other aid than your own knowledge and post the answers to
> the newsgroup. I am aiming at posting the results on Saturday 6th.
>
> Have fun!
>

> 1. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/01.mp3
> This is from one of the most famous classical works you can find,
> although the clip is not from the very famous part of this work.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

Beethoven

> b) Name the work. (5p.)

Symphony No. 9, 2nd movement

> 2. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/02.mp3
> This is the opening from an album from the height of the fusion era,
> and this song has become a standard well beyond the fusion style,
> recorded by many artists.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

Weather Report

> b) Name either the tune or the album. (5p.)

Birdland

> 3. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/03.mp3
> This is the opening from the first album of this classic
> heavy-metal band. Since the the band, the album and the song
> all have the same name, there is only one question.
> a) Give that name. (10p.)

Black Sabbath

> 4. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/04.mp3
> Steeleye Span are known as a folk-rock band, but here they are
> tackling a song from musical play from the first half of the 20th
> century. On the Steeleye Span album, they use an alternate title
> which you can hear in the clip.
> a) Give the title normally used (and which is also is the name of
> the character singing the song in the play) or give the name of
> the play itself. (5p.)
> b) Give one of i) The composer ii) The author of the original
> lyrics or iii) or the translator of the English version. (5p.)
>
> 5. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/05.mp3
> This piece of music is the oldest in this quiz. It is also one
> of these really famous works that everyone knows about.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

Vivaldi

> b) Name the work. (5p.)

Four Seasons

> 6. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/06.mp3
> This is a song with the Swedish singer Kal P. Dal named "Kungens Knall".
> It is a cover with Swedish lyrics loosely drawn from the original,
> recorded by a Canadian band. Although Kal P. Dal does not retain
> the most famous gimmick in the original, you may still be able to
> spot the song.
> a) Name that Canadian band. (5p.)

Bachmann Turner Overdrive

> b) Give the original English title. (5p.)

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

> 7. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/07.mp3
> This is from a album released just a few months back with duets
> for cello and piano. Some of these pieces were originally written
> for that format, while others have been rearranged. Beethoven is
> the dominating composer, but this is a piece from 1967.
> a) Give the composer. (5p.)

Jimi Hendrix

> b) Give the name of the piece. (5p.)

Purple Haze

> 8. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/08.mp3
> A classic from the big-band era. Beware that I've cut out about
> 15 seconds from the clip, which is quite long enough anyway.
> a) Give the band or the band leader. (5p.)

Glenn Miller

> b) Give the name of the song. (5p.)

Chattanooga Choo Choo

> 9. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/09.mp3
> This artist was known for assuming several different personas, and
> the title of this song is exactly the name of maybe the most
> well-known of these personas.
> a) Name the artist (5p.)

David Bowie

> b) Give the name of the song and the persona. (5p.)

Ziggy Stardust

> 10. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/10.mp3
> This is the end of a popular orchestra piece which repeats the
> same melody a number times with a crescendo for each repetition
> until this leads to the very quick breakdown that you hear in the
> clip.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

Ravel

> b) Give the name of this work. (5p.)

Bolero

> 11. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/11.mp3.
> This is a song with Donna Summer called "Protection". It is not
> one of her big hits, but maybe you can still spot the song-writer,
> who is one of the most famous artists of our days - but
> certainly not as a disco artist. To my knowing, this is the only
> song that the artist wrote for summer. You can also hear this
> artist on the solo guitar towards the end of the clip.
> a) Name the song-writer. (10p.)

Lindsay Buckingham

> 12. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/12.mp3
> This is a home recording, so don't try to identify the band. But
> once the moped has faded away you will hear a well-known melody.
> a) Name the composer. (5p.)

Grieg

> b) Give the name of the piece or the work it is drawn from. (5p.)

Peer Gynt

> 13. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/13.mp3
> Everybody knows this band. This is just one of their many hits.
> a) Name the band. (5p.)

The Beatles

> b) Name the song. (5p.)

Day Tripper

> 14. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/14.mp3
> Save for a short piano introduction, this is the opening from a
> very classic jazz album. Note that the artist, composer and
> band leader has yet to join in on the tune when the clip ends.
> a) Name this artist and band leader. (5p.)

Miles Davis

> b) Name the album or just the song. (5p.)

Kind of Blue

> 15. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/15.mp3
> This song was written in 1931, but it was its inclusion in a film
> that this recording is taken from that made the song immortal.
> a) Name the song. (4p.)

As Time Goes By

> b) Name the film. (4p.)

Casablanca

> c) Name the actor singing (2p.)

Pete Gayde

Re: Erland's Occasional Quiz - it's music time

<XnsADDAEF49F6063Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3409&group=rec.games.trivia#3409

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 23:31:23 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sat, 6 Nov 2021 22:31 UTC

This quiz is over and Stephen W Perry is the winner! Yours are the
glory and setter of the rec.games.trivia playlist for the next 24
hours. All hail Stephen.

There were only three entrants, and I am not entirely surprised given
the narrow them of the quiz. What did surpsrise me, though, was that
all entries were really good! There was not a single stumper.

Here is the scoreboard:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Total
Stephen W P 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 5 10 5 10 10 10 140
Joshua K 10 10 10 10 - 10 10 10 10 - 10 - 10 10 10 120
Pete G 10 10 10 - 10 10 10 10 10 10 - 10 10 10 8 128

And here are the answers:

1. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/01.mp3
This is from one of the most famous classical works you can find,
although the clip is not from the very famous part of this work.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Name the work. (5p.)

Ludvig van Beethoven, Symphony no.9 ("Ode to Joy"). This is
the opening of the second movement, but the movement was not
required.

2. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/02.mp3
This is the opening from an album from the height of the fusion era,
and this song has become a standard well beyond the fusion style,
recorded by many artists.
a) Name the band. (5p.)
b) Name either the tune or the album. (5p.)

Band: Weather Report.
Album: Heavy Weather.
Tune: Birdland.

3. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/03.mp3
This is the opening from the first album of this classic
heavy-metal band. Since the the band, the album and the song
all have the same name, there is only one question.
a) Give that name. (10p.)

Black Sabbath. Those in the know, presumably knew the answer
before listening to the clip.

4. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/04.mp3
Steeleye Span are known as a folk-rock band, but here they are
tackling a song from musical play from the first half of the 20th
century. On the Steeleye Span album, they use an alternate title
which you can hear in the clip.
a) Give the title normally used (and which is also is the name of
the character singing the song in the play) or give the name of
the play itself. (5p.)

Song: Pirate Jenny.
Play: Threepenny Opera.

b) Give one of i) The composer ii) The author of the original
lyrics or iii) or the translator of the English version. (5p.)

Composer: Kurt Weill.
Lyrics: Bertold Brecht.
Translation: Marc Blitzstein.

5. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/05.mp3
This piece of music is the oldest in this quiz. It is also one
of these really famous works that everyone knows about.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Name the work. (5p.)

Antonio Vivaldi, The Four Seasons.
More precisely this is from the first movement of the Winter
concerto, but that was not required.

6. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/06.mp3
This is a song with the Swedish singer Kal P. Dal named "Kungens Knall".
It is a cover with Swedish lyrics loosely drawn from the original,
recorded by a Canadian band. Although Kal P. Dal does not retain
the most famous gimmick in the original, you may still be able to
spot the song.
a) Name that Canadian band. (5p.)
b) Give the original English title. (5p.)

Bachmann Turner Overdrive, You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet.

7. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/07.mp3
This is from a album released just a few months back with duets
for cello and piano. Some of these pieces were originally written
for that format, while others have been rearranged. Beethoven is
the dominating composer, but this is a piece from 1967.
a) Give the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the piece. (5p.)

Jimi Hendrix, Purple Haze

8. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/08.mp3
A classic from the big-band era. Beware that I've cut out about
15 seconds from the clip, which is quite long enough anyway.
a) Give the band or the band leader. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the song. (5p.)

Glenn Miller (Band), Chattanooga Cho-Cho

I recently picked up a greatest hits album with Glenn Miller, and
my original idea was to use "In the Mood", which I have another
recording of. But was I amazed when I heard this song that I
recognized - it might be forty years sinc last time I heard it!

The clip was long, because I wanted to include the intro with the
train simulation, the main theme, and "Teneesee" in the vocals.

9. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/09.mp3
This artist was known for assuming several different personas, and
the title of this song is exactly the name of maybe the most
well-known of these personas.
a) Name the artist (5p.)
b) Give the name of the song and the persona. (5p.)

David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust.

10. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/10.mp3
This is the end of a popular orchestra piece which repeats the
same melody a number times with a crescendo for each repetition
until this leads to the very quick breakdown that you hear in the
clip.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of this work. (5p.)

Maurice Ravel, Bolero

11. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/11.mp3.
This is a song with Donna Summer called "Protection". It is not
one of her big hits, but maybe you can still spot the song-writer,
who is one of the most famous artists of our days - but
certainly not as a disco artist. To my knowing, this is the only
song that the artist wrote for summer. You can also hear this
artist on the solo guitar towards the end of the clip.
a) Name the song-writer. (10p.)

Bruce Springsteen (giggle for Springstein!)

I have always thought that it sounds very much like Springsteen,
even this is a discp-type album, produced by Quincy Jones. Beides
The Boss, Roy Bittan from the E Street Band is also sitting in.

12. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/12.mp3
This is a home recording, so don't try to identify the band. But
once the moped has faded away you will hear a well-known melody.
a) Name the composer. (5p.)
b) Give the name of the piece or the work it is drawn from. (5p.)

Edvard Grieg. In the Hall of the Mountain King from Peer Gynt.

Peer Gynt is a stage play by Henrik Ibsen for which Grieg wrote
the incidental music.

13. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/13.mp3
Everybody knows this band. This is just one of their many hits.
a) Name the band. (5p.)
b) Name the song. (5p.)

The Beatles, Day Tripper.

14. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/14.mp3
Save for a short piano introduction, this is the opening from a
very classic jazz album. Note that the artist, composer and
band leader has yet to join in on the tune when the clip ends.
a) Name this artist and band leader. (5p.)
b) Name the album or just the song. (5p.)

Artist: Miles Davis.
Album: Kind of Blue.
Tune: So What.

15. http://www.sommarskog.se/temp/15.mp3
This song was written in 1931, but it was its inclusion in a film
that this recording is taken from that made the song immortal.
a) Name the song. (4p.)

As Time Goes By.

b) Name the film. (4p.)

Casablanca.