From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: first snow
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 12:57:18 -0500
 by: songbird - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 17:57 UTC

i think it will mostly be melted by the end of the week
but at least i did get some exercise in this morning
shovelling. :)

my body appreciated it.

not much going on gardening wise outside, i need to get
some grass out of a garden before it gets too cold for the
winter, maybe Thursday if i'm lucky.

inside just doing the usual fall routine, getting some
things sorted and cleaned up and put away.

managed to clear off a whole shelf on one of my bookcases
of old computer printers that people had given me saying
that they worked. the other day i needed to print something
and my normal printer wasn't working so i tried out the ones
i had been saving for such an event and found out they didn't
work either. so the whole shelf gets to go out in the garage
to wait until the next recycle drop off happens next spring
and i get a shelf back. my original printer i hooked back up
after figuring out where it was jammed and it printed fine.
c'est la vie. :)

songbird

Re: first snow

<so850j$e3e$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=337&group=rec.gardens.edible#337

Followup: rec.gardens.edible
From: Nys...@LogicalInsight.net (Nyssa)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Subject: Re: first snow
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 10:42:08 -0500
 by: Nyssa - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 15:42 UTC

songbird wrote:

> i think it will mostly be melted by the end of the week
> but at least i did get some exercise in this morning
> shovelling. :)
>
> my body appreciated it.
>
> not much going on gardening wise outside, i need to get
> some grass out of a garden before it gets too cold for the
> winter, maybe Thursday if i'm lucky.
>
> inside just doing the usual fall routine, getting some
> things sorted and cleaned up and put away.
>
> managed to clear off a whole shelf on one of my
> bookcases
> of old computer printers that people had given me saying
> that they worked. the other day i needed to print
> something and my normal printer wasn't working so i tried
> out the ones i had been saving for such an event and found
> out they didn't
> work either. so the whole shelf gets to go out in the
> garage to wait until the next recycle drop off happens
> next spring
> and i get a shelf back. my original printer i hooked back
> up after figuring out where it was jammed and it printed
> fine.
> c'est la vie. :)
>

> songbird

Back when I lived in the Toledo area ~40 years ago, our first
snow was usually around Halloween or a few days before.

I heard someone on the radio in Toronto complaining that they
had their first snow over the weekend.

I know that you're in mid-Michigan, so I'd say those data
points are interesting and may be part of the climate change
process that is occurring, at least if this seemingly later
date for first snowfalls has become an annual event.

Anyone one else notice a later first-snow date that's
started moving later on the calendar over the past few
decades?

Nyssa, who thinks gathering more data is usually a good thing

Re: first snow

<so8f7d$so1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=338&group=rec.gardens.edible#338

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 10:34:22 -0800
 by: Bob F - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 18:34 UTC

On 12/1/2021 7:42 AM, Nyssa wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>
>> i think it will mostly be melted by the end of the week
>> but at least i did get some exercise in this morning
>> shovelling. :)
>>
>> my body appreciated it.
>>
>> not much going on gardening wise outside, i need to get
>> some grass out of a garden before it gets too cold for the
>> winter, maybe Thursday if i'm lucky.
>>
>> inside just doing the usual fall routine, getting some
>> things sorted and cleaned up and put away.
>>
>> managed to clear off a whole shelf on one of my
>> bookcases
>> of old computer printers that people had given me saying
>> that they worked. the other day i needed to print
>> something and my normal printer wasn't working so i tried
>> out the ones i had been saving for such an event and found
>> out they didn't
>> work either. so the whole shelf gets to go out in the
>> garage to wait until the next recycle drop off happens
>> next spring
>> and i get a shelf back. my original printer i hooked back
>> up after figuring out where it was jammed and it printed
>> fine.
>> c'est la vie. :)
>>

>> songbird
>
> Back when I lived in the Toledo area ~40 years ago, our first
> snow was usually around Halloween or a few days before.
>
> I heard someone on the radio in Toronto complaining that they
> had their first snow over the weekend.
>
> I know that you're in mid-Michigan, so I'd say those data
> points are interesting and may be part of the climate change
> process that is occurring, at least if this seemingly later
> date for first snowfalls has become an annual event.
>
> Anyone one else notice a later first-snow date that's
> started moving later on the calendar over the past few
> decades?
>
> Nyssa, who thinks gathering more data is usually a good thing

Previously, we would almost always be up at the ski areas playing by
this point. Still brown on the slopes as seen on the cams this morning.
I can remember skiing by Halloween years ago.

Re: first snow

<71fl7i-e1f.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=339&group=rec.gardens.edible#339

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2021 19:02:15 -0500
 by: songbird - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 00:02 UTC

Nyssa wrote:
> Anyone one else notice a later first-snow date that's
> started moving later on the calendar over the past few
> decades?

last year i was outside in December weeding one of the
gardens. i did get that very same garden weeded a few
weeks ago. every little bit helps. :)

the changes here are more noticeable as a lack of
much of a spring or fall season. we tend to go from
pretty cold to hot and dry a lot more now than before
in the spring. the fall season this year was no frost
until quite late while last year we had frost in the
middle of September (which is what i work towards for
the average first frost date).

this past year was just odd in so many ways. the
last part of the summer was very wet too often and i
didn't get some gardens put up for winter yet. i hope
we get a break for a week so i can get back to them.
we'll see what happens.

songbird

Re: first snow

<soausb$ogq$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=340&group=rec.gardens.edible#340

From: bobnos...@gmail.com (Bob F)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 09:13:44 -0800
 by: Bob F - Thu, 2 Dec 2021 17:13 UTC

On 12/1/2021 4:02 PM, songbird wrote:
> Nyssa wrote:
>> Anyone one else notice a later first-snow date that's
>> started moving later on the calendar over the past few
>> decades?
>
> last year i was outside in December weeding one of the
> gardens. i did get that very same garden weeded a few
> weeks ago. every little bit helps. :)
>
> the changes here are more noticeable as a lack of
> much of a spring or fall season. we tend to go from
> pretty cold to hot and dry a lot more now than before
> in the spring. the fall season this year was no frost
> until quite late while last year we had frost in the
> middle of September (which is what i work towards for
> the average first frost date).
>
> this past year was just odd in so many ways. the
> last part of the summer was very wet too often and i
> didn't get some gardens put up for winter yet. i hope
> we get a break for a week so i can get back to them.
> we'll see what happens.

We got all the vegie beds weeded, and spread 1-2 inches of our compost
over all of them. Ready for spring.

Re: first snow

<mslp7i-022.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=341&group=rec.gardens.edible#341

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2021 09:23:50 -0500
 by: songbird - Fri, 3 Dec 2021 14:23 UTC

Bob F wrote:
> We got all the vegie beds weeded, and spread 1-2 inches of our compost
> over all of them. Ready for spring.

it's great when you can get things done and ready for
the next season so you have time to do other things too.

yesterday the weather was warm enough that we got out
and put some of the gardens up for winter. today i may
be able to finish a pretty large area and get that ready
too which means only some spot weeding needs to be done
and whatever else i can do. today it will be colder but
not as much wind so it will probably feel about the same
out there overall.

i already have a big trench dug out for what i'll need
to bury today and then once i fill that back in i can
spread three buckets of ashes and get them dug in or
raked in and that will be it for that space this season.

considering a few days ago i didn't think i was going
to be able to get any of this done it is nice when we
got a break in the weather and it is warm enough to take
advantage of it.

the more items i can cross off my to do list before
winter the more joy juice in my brain. :)

songbird

Re: first snow

<sol9g0$c2l$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=342&group=rec.gardens.edible#342

From: nowh...@nearyou.com (Wilson)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 10:16:18 -0500
 by: Wilson - Mon, 6 Dec 2021 15:16 UTC

On 12/3/2021 9:23 AM, songbird wrote:
> Bob F wrote:
>> We got all the vegie beds weeded, and spread 1-2 inches of our compost
>> over all of them. Ready for spring.
>
> it's great when you can get things done and ready for
> the next season so you have time to do other things too.
>
> yesterday the weather was warm enough that we got out
> and put some of the gardens up for winter. today i may
> be able to finish a pretty large area and get that ready
> too which means only some spot weeding needs to be done
> and whatever else i can do. today it will be colder but
> not as much wind so it will probably feel about the same
> out there overall.
>
> i already have a big trench dug out for what i'll need
> to bury today and then once i fill that back in i can
> spread three buckets of ashes and get them dug in or
> raked in and that will be it for that space this season.
>
> considering a few days ago i didn't think i was going
> to be able to get any of this done it is nice when we
> got a break in the weather and it is warm enough to take
> advantage of it.
>
> the more items i can cross off my to do list before
> winter the more joy juice in my brain. :)
>

> songbird

You must be a little warmer where you live. Michigan I think you said. But
curious as to what you bury in your trench? ;)

Re: first snow

<q3038i-t28.ln1@anthive.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=343&group=rec.gardens.edible#343

From: songb...@anthive.com (songbird)
Newsgroups: rec.gardens.edible
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 22:13:30 -0500
 by: songbird - Tue, 7 Dec 2021 03:13 UTC

Wilson wrote:
> You must be a little warmer where you live. Michigan I think you said.

yes, it was cold and a bit snowy this morning and then it got
more windy and less snowy, but at least it wasn't rain and sleet
or ice like they had in the forecast the day before. so that was
good to see.

> But
> curious as to what you bury in your trench? ;)

weeds and other garden debris, sometimes i also add
ashes to those too since they'll eventually get mixed
in more as i keep rotating through a garden.

if i'm lucky i'll get some bags of leaves or other
organic materials i can put in there. things that will
keep the worms happy. :)

songbird