Today is the first day of the rest of the mess.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Trudeau I, Letter G

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter GPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Trudeau I, Letter GMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<ZrWdnRYZRstEyxr8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3412&group=rec.games.trivia#3412

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 23:32:25 -0500
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 04:32 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-11,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania

These questions are about Pierre Trudeau. (Yes, it's the third
Canadiana round in the same game. Not my doing!)

1. In 1949 Trudeau gave a speech on human rights in a Quebec mining
town which was suffering through a bitter strike. Name the town.

2. Which influential political journal did Trudeau co-found in 1950?

3. On 1966-04-04, Trudeau was appointed to his first federal
cabinet -- in what post?

4. Before entering politics, Trudeau was a law professor at which
university?

5. What was the maiden name of Trudeau's mother, Grace?

6. In 1966 he met Margaret, later his wife. What was her maiden
name?

7. "If all politicians were like Pierre Trudeau, there would be
world peace." Who said this in 1969 after a meeting, in Canada,
with the PM?

8. The CBC made """two""" dramas on the life of Pierre Trudeau,
"Trudeau" and the prequel "Trudeau 2: A Maverick in the Making".
Name either of the two actors who played Trudeau.

9. In 1971 Trudeau mouthed some naughty words beginning with F at
opposition MPs in the House of Commons. When asked by reporters
about it, he told them he had said what now-famous phrase?

10. During the 1970s FLQ crisis, Trudeau was asked how far he
would go to stop the terrorists. What was his response?

** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G

In each case name the person, place, or whatever that's being
described *and* has the initials indicated in each category title.

*NOTE*: In each case you must name the person, place, or whatever
that's being described *and* has the initials indicated in each
category title or preamble.

* A. Sports GGs

A1. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
Queen's University? (The long form, to fit the category.)

A2. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
the University of Guelph?

* B. G-ography: Canadian Towns

B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
and Marc Garneau.

B2. The Manitoba town where you'll find the largest concentration
of Icelanders outside of Iceland.

* C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations

These exclamations each contain two or more words, at least two
of which begin with the letter G.

C1. What exclamation is associated with Perry White,
editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet?

C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
characters frequently use?

* D. New Wave BGs

D1. He sang "Soviet Jewelry (Nyet, Nyet, Soviet)".

D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.

* E. "Better Known As" GGs

E1. 1970s British TV personality Graham Kerr: better known
as the...?

E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
better known as the...?

* F. Can-Lit GGs

These Canadian authors won Governor-General's Awards for fiction,
and their last names (but *not* their first names) begin with G
as well.

F1. Toronto-based TV personality and author of the 2005
GG-award-winning novel "A Perfect Night to Go to China".

F2. Paris-based doyenne of Canadian letters and author of the
1981 GG-award-winning short story collection "Home Truths".

--
Mark Brader "Elaborative, polysyllabic multipartite agglu-
Toronto tinations can obfuscate and become obstructive

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<sm7mvg$4rp$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3413&group=rec.games.trivia#3413

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 05:08:01 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 05:08 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania

> 4. Before entering politics, Trudeau was a law professor at which
> university?

McGill

> 7. "If all politicians were like Pierre Trudeau, there would be
> world peace." Who said this in 1969 after a meeting, in Canada,
> with the PM?

Richard Nixon
(admittedly it doesn't sound like him)

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G

> * B. G-ography: Canadian Towns

> B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
> after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
> and Marc Garneau.

Gander

> * C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations

> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

Good grief!

> * E. "Better Known As" GGs

> E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
> better known as the...?

Grey Ghost

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<XnsADDB78801A6A8Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3414&group=rec.games.trivia#3414

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 11:50:44 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 10:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G
>
> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

Good Grief!
> D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.

Bob Geldof

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<sm8i6g$q2f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3415&group=rec.games.trivia#3415

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 04:52:30 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 12:52 UTC

On 11/6/21 9:32 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania
>
> These questions are about Pierre Trudeau. (Yes, it's the third
> Canadiana round in the same game. Not my doing!)
>
> 1. In 1949 Trudeau gave a speech on human rights in a Quebec mining
> town which was suffering through a bitter strike. Name the town. >
> 2. Which influential political journal did Trudeau co-found in 1950?
>
> 3. On 1966-04-04, Trudeau was appointed to his first federal
> cabinet -- in what post?
>
> 4. Before entering politics, Trudeau was a law professor at which
> university?
>
> 5. What was the maiden name of Trudeau's mother, Grace?
>
> 6. In 1966 he met Margaret, later his wife. What was her maiden
> name?
>
> 7. "If all politicians were like Pierre Trudeau, there would be
> world peace." Who said this in 1969 after a meeting, in Canada,
> with the PM?
>
> 8. The CBC made """two""" dramas on the life of Pierre Trudeau,
> "Trudeau" and the prequel "Trudeau 2: A Maverick in the Making".
> Name either of the two actors who played Trudeau.
>
> 9. In 1971 Trudeau mouthed some naughty words beginning with F at
> opposition MPs in the House of Commons. When asked by reporters
> about it, he told them he had said what now-famous phrase?
>
> 10. During the 1970s FLQ crisis, Trudeau was asked how far he
> would go to stop the terrorists. What was his response?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G
>
> In each case name the person, place, or whatever that's being
> described *and* has the initials indicated in each category title.
>
> *NOTE*: In each case you must name the person, place, or whatever
> that's being described *and* has the initials indicated in each
> category title or preamble.
>
> * A. Sports GGs
>
> A1. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> Queen's University? (The long form, to fit the category.)
>
> A2. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> the University of Guelph?
>

> * B. G-ography: Canadian Towns
>
> B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
> after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
> and Marc Garneau.

Gander

> B2. The Manitoba town where you'll find the largest concentration
> of Icelanders outside of Iceland.

Gimli

> * C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations
>
> These exclamations each contain two or more words, at least two
> of which begin with the letter G.
>
> C1. What exclamation is associated with Perry White,
> editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet?

Great Caesar's Ghost

> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

Good Grief

> * D. New Wave BGs
>
> D1. He sang "Soviet Jewelry (Nyet, Nyet, Soviet)".
>
> D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.
>

> * E. "Better Known As" GGs
>
> E1. 1970s British TV personality Graham Kerr: better known
> as the...?

Galloping Gourmet

> E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
> better known as the...?

Galloping Ghost

> * F. Can-Lit GGs
>
> These Canadian authors won Governor-General's Awards for fiction,
> and their last names (but *not* their first names) begin with G
> as well.
>
> F1. Toronto-based TV personality and author of the 2005
> GG-award-winning novel "A Perfect Night to Go to China".
>
> F2. Paris-based doyenne of Canadian letters and author of the
> 1981 GG-award-winning short story collection "Home Truths".

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<a86f5217-acbf-4eb1-8f68-9d6ce9d191f3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3416&group=rec.games.trivia#3416

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 11:44:50 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 7 Nov 2021 19:44 UTC

On Saturday, November 6, 2021 at 11:32:31 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania
>
> These questions are about Pierre Trudeau. (Yes, it's the third
> Canadiana round in the same game. Not my doing!)
>
> 9. In 1971 Trudeau mouthed some naughty words beginning with F at
> opposition MPs in the House of Commons. When asked by reporters
> about it, he told them he had said what now-famous phrase?

"Fuddle duddle"

> 10. During the 1970s FLQ crisis, Trudeau was asked how far he
> would go to stop the terrorists. What was his response?

"Just watch me"

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G
>
> In each case name the person, place, or whatever that's being
> described *and* has the initials indicated in each category title.
>
> * B. G-ography: Canadian Towns
>
> B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
> after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
> and Marc Garneau.

Gander

> B2. The Manitoba town where you'll find the largest concentration
> of Icelanders outside of Iceland.

Gimli

> * C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations
>
> These exclamations each contain two or more words, at least two
> of which begin with the letter G.
>
> C1. What exclamation is associated with Perry White,
> editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet?

Great Caesar's ghost!

> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

Good grief!

> * D. New Wave BGs
>
> D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.

Bob Geldof

> * E. "Better Known As" GGs
>
> E1. 1970s British TV personality Graham Kerr: better known
> as the...?

Galloping Gourmet

> E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
> better known as the...?

Grey Ghost

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10: Trudeau I, Letter G

<smfavi$73l$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3417&group=rec.games.trivia#3417

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 20:32:19 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 02:32 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania
>
> These questions are about Pierre Trudeau. (Yes, it's the third
> Canadiana round in the same game. Not my doing!)
>
> 1. In 1949 Trudeau gave a speech on human rights in a Quebec mining
> town which was suffering through a bitter strike. Name the town.
>
> 2. Which influential political journal did Trudeau co-found in 1950?
>
> 3. On 1966-04-04, Trudeau was appointed to his first federal
> cabinet -- in what post?
>
> 4. Before entering politics, Trudeau was a law professor at which
> university?
>
> 5. What was the maiden name of Trudeau's mother, Grace?
>
> 6. In 1966 he met Margaret, later his wife. What was her maiden
> name?
>
> 7. "If all politicians were like Pierre Trudeau, there would be
> world peace." Who said this in 1969 after a meeting, in Canada,
> with the PM?

John Lennon

> 8. The CBC made """two""" dramas on the life of Pierre Trudeau,
> "Trudeau" and the prequel "Trudeau 2: A Maverick in the Making".
> Name either of the two actors who played Trudeau.
>
> 9. In 1971 Trudeau mouthed some naughty words beginning with F at
> opposition MPs in the House of Commons. When asked by reporters
> about it, he told them he had said what now-famous phrase?
>
> 10. During the 1970s FLQ crisis, Trudeau was asked how far he
> would go to stop the terrorists. What was his response?
>

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G
>
> In each case name the person, place, or whatever that's being
> described *and* has the initials indicated in each category title.
>
> *NOTE*: In each case you must name the person, place, or whatever
> that's being described *and* has the initials indicated in each
> category title or preamble.
>
> * A. Sports GGs
>
> A1. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> Queen's University? (The long form, to fit the category.)
>
> A2. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> the University of Guelph?
>

> * B. G-ography: Canadian Towns
>
> B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
> after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
> and Marc Garneau.

Gander

> B2. The Manitoba town where you'll find the largest concentration
> of Icelanders outside of Iceland.
>

> * C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations
>
> These exclamations each contain two or more words, at least two
> of which begin with the letter G.
>
> C1. What exclamation is associated with Perry White,
> editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet?

Great Caesar's Ghost

> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

Good Grief

> * D. New Wave BGs
>
> D1. He sang "Soviet Jewelry (Nyet, Nyet, Soviet)".
>
> D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.
>

> * E. "Better Known As" GGs
>
> E1. 1970s British TV personality Graham Kerr: better known
> as the...?

Galloping Gourmet

> E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
> better known as the...?
>

> * F. Can-Lit GGs
>
> These Canadian authors won Governor-General's Awards for fiction,
> and their last names (but *not* their first names) begin with G
> as well.
>
> F1. Toronto-based TV personality and author of the 2005
> GG-award-winning novel "A Perfect Night to Go to China".
>
> F2. Paris-based doyenne of Canadian letters and author of the
> 1981 GG-award-winning short story collection "Home Truths".

Pete Gayde (with only 1 G)

RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Trudeau I, Letter G

<As6dnej6tP10yBb8nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3418&group=rec.games.trivia#3418

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 9, Rounds 9-10 answers: Trudeau I, Letter G
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 23:17:29 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 05:17 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-11,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 9 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has an easy win. Hearty
congratulations!

> ** Game 9, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Trudeaumania

> These questions are about Pierre Trudeau. (Yes, it's the third
> Canadiana round in the same game. Not my doing!)

And on top of that, half of the challenge round was Canadiana.

> 1. In 1949 Trudeau gave a speech on human rights in a Quebec mining
> town which was suffering through a bitter strike. Name the town.

2011 answer: Asbestos. 2021 answer: It's now called Val-des-Sources.

> 2. Which influential political journal did Trudeau co-found in 1950?

"Cité Libre".

> 3. On 1966-04-04, Trudeau was appointed to his first federal
> cabinet -- in what post?

Minister of Justice.

> 4. Before entering politics, Trudeau was a law professor at which
> university?

Université de Montréal.

> 5. What was the maiden name of Trudeau's mother, Grace?

Elliot -- his middle name.

> 6. In 1966 he met Margaret, later his wife. What was her maiden
> name?

Sinclair.

> 7. "If all politicians were like Pierre Trudeau, there would be
> world peace." Who said this in 1969 after a meeting, in Canada,
> with the PM?

John Lennon. 4 for Pete.

> 8. The CBC made """two""" dramas on the life of Pierre Trudeau,
> "Trudeau" and the prequel "Trudeau 2: A Maverick in the Making".
> Name either of the two actors who played Trudeau.

Colm Feore, Stephane Demers.

I don't know if there have been more since.

> 9. In 1971 Trudeau mouthed some naughty words beginning with F at
> opposition MPs in the House of Commons. When asked by reporters
> about it, he told them he had said what now-famous phrase?

"Fuddle-duddle". 4 for Joshua.

To be exact: "'fuddle-duddle', or something like that".

> 10. During the 1970s FLQ crisis, Trudeau was asked how far he
> would go to stop the terrorists. What was his response?

"Just watch me." 4 for Joshua.

You will remember this as the title of a biography of Trudeau that
was a decoy on a handout in another season.

> ** Game 9, Round 10 - Challenge - Brought to You by the Letter G

> In each case name the person, place, or whatever that's being
> described *and* has the initials indicated in each category title.

> *NOTE*: In each case you must name the person, place, or whatever
> that's being described *and* has the initials indicated in each
> category title or preamble.

In the original game, this round was tied with Round 3
(the geography round) for being the easiest.

> * A. Sports GGs

> A1. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> Queen's University? (The long form, to fit the category.)

Golden Gaels.

> A2. What is the name shared by the athletic teams that represent
> the University of Guelph?

Guelph Gryphons.

> * B. G-ography: Canadian Towns

> B1. The Newfoundland town where you'll find streets named
> after Amelia Earhart, Eddie Rickenbacker, Charles Lindbergh,
> and Marc Garneau.

Gander. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

Aviation was important to the town in the days when transatlantic
flights generally needed refueling en route, because this was one
of the places where they could do it.

> B2. The Manitoba town where you'll find the largest concentration
> of Icelanders outside of Iceland.

Gimli. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

This town also has an important aviation connection, since it's where
an airliner that ran out of fuel made a succesful emergency landing
in 1983.

> * C. Golly Gee! Cartoon Exclamations

> These exclamations each contain two or more words, at least two
> of which begin with the letter G.

> C1. What exclamation is associated with Perry White,
> editor-in-chief of the Daily Planet?

"Great Caesar's Ghost!" 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> C2. What exclamation do Charlie Brown and other Peanuts
> characters frequently use?

"Good grief!" 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Joshua, and Pete.

> * D. New Wave BGs

> D1. He sang "Soviet Jewelry (Nyet, Nyet, Soviet)".

B.B. Gabor.

> D2. He was the lead singer for The Boomtown Rats.

Sir Bob Geldof. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> * E. "Better Known As" GGs

> E1. 1970s British TV personality Graham Kerr: better known
> as the...?

Galloping Gourmet. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Pete.

> E2. Elusive Confederate Army commander John Singleton Mosby:
> better known as the...?

Gray Ghost. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

Someone tried "Galloping Ghost". *That* nickname belonged to Red
Grange, a star player with the Chicago Bears in the 1920s and '30s.

> * F. Can-Lit GGs

> These Canadian authors won Governor-General's Awards for fiction,
> and their last names (but *not* their first names) begin with G
> as well.

> F1. Toronto-based TV personality and author of the 2005
> GG-award-winning novel "A Perfect Night to Go to China".

David Gilmour.

> F2. Paris-based doyenne of Canadian letters and author of the
> 1981 GG-award-winning short story collection "Home Truths".

Mavis Gallant.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Can Geo Spo Can Ent Sci Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 8 34 36 0 36 0 8 28 150
Dan Blum 0 24 32 10 20 8 0 12 106
Pete Gayde 2 23 12 11 22 4 4 16 88
Dan Tilque 4 12 20 0 16 12 0 20 84
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 16 0 12 0 0 8 56

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "What caused the submarine to sink?"
msb@vex.net | "Dad, it was the 20,000 leaks!!"