If you don't say anything, you won't be called on to repeat it. -- Calvin Coolidge

interests / alt.language.latin / Re: chronogrammata in camel case

SubjectAuthor
* chronogrammata in camel caseBtraven
+* Re: chronogrammata in camel caseA.T. Murray
|`- Re: chronogrammata in camel caseBtraven
`* Re: chronogrammata in camel caseEd Cryer
 `* Re: chronogrammata in camel caseBtraven
  `- Re: chronogrammata in camel caseEd Cryer

1
chronogrammata in camel case

<06e8a315-3ac3-4cfa-9598-ea3de60aaae2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=340&group=alt.language.latin#340

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 13:15:39 -0800 (PST)
Subject: chronogrammata in camel case
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Sat, 14 Jan 2023 21:15 UTC

I have read all of Nicholas Gross' Epistula Leonina (269 and counting) an ephemeris of news, opinion, and especially Latin translations from German literature. I either skipped or barely skimmed the chronogrammata, except to verify that the Latin somehow corresponded with the German original and assumed that the construction of these puzzles was routine.
After learning the word 'denascor' * from one of these puzzles, I started looking at them more closely and I now think that it would be very challenging to construct a non trivial specimen. Here is an example from the December, 2022 issue (all legitimate roman numeral characters [mdclxvi] must be added to the year a.d. computation):
"
J o h n S t e i n b e c k
* 27. Februar 1902 in Salinas , Kalifornien
† 20. Dezember 1968 in New York City
John Steinbeck war ein US-amerikanischer Schriftsteller. Er ist einer der
meistgelesenen Autoren des 20. Jahrhunderts und hat zahlreiche Romane,
Kurzgeschichten, Novellen und Drehbücher verfasst. Zeitweilig arbeitete er als Journalist und war 1943 Kriegsberichterstatter im Zweiten Weltkrieg. 1940 erhielt er den Pulitzer-Preis für seinen Roman Früchte des Zorns und 1962 den Nobelpreis für Literatur.
Quelle: Wikipedia

vvciiiicivivvcivdivivximililvv
(+ 5 5 100 1 1 1 1 100 1 5 50 1 5 5 100 1 5 500 1 5 1 5 10 1 1000 1 50 1 50 5 5)
= 2022

«THE GRAPES OF vvRATH » ScRiPSiT
iOANNES STEiNBEcK
iN vRBE SAliNAS NATvS
BONvS ScRiPTOR ATQvE divRNARivS
ANTE SExAGiNTA ANNOS
PRAEmiO NOBEliANO lAvREATvS
MMXXII

Er hat „The Grapes of Wrath“ geschrieben.
Der große Schriftsteller und Journalist JOHNSTEINBECK , geboren in der Stadt Salinas , wurde vor 60 Jahren mit dem Nobelpreis (für Literatur ) ausgezeichnet .

The original is from a pdf with colored letters, rendered here with lower case.
"

Available here:
https://ephemerisnuntii.eu/leonina.php

Here the lower case letters are the Roman numerals , unordered, that is ix in chronogrammata equal xi (not 9 and 11). All numerals in an arbitrary length string are added.

I think it might be fairly routine to write a program that computes the chronogramm of an arbitrarily long string. This might be a help in composing the puzzle (computer aided chronogrammetry, a notion modeled after CAD). To have AI output a puzzle equivalent to the above one on Steinbeck would be like asking a computer to design a mid latitude litoral city in a seismic zone for one million people. Make it so, number two.

Here are the rules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronogram
where you will encounter this miracle:

TV DeVs IaM propItIVs sIs regI regnoqVe hVIC VnIVerso."
"O goD noVV sheVV faVoVr to the kIng anD thIs VVhoLe LanD

(in this more normal transcription the convention is to use upper case for roman numerals)

The link by a random walk eventually leads to the magic square
SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

which being interpreted is
[ego] sator I the sower [of discord]
arepo creep away
tenet [autem] He [however] holds
opera with skill
rotas the wheels
[Deus] [God, that is]

* This seems to mean not 'to be aborted' (of a fetus) but rather 'to become as if never having been born' (i.e. 'to die.'), a radically pagan notion, applying to everyone except people like Vergil or Ovid.

bt

p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit.
(cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)

Re: chronogrammata in camel case

<0153ce1d-6941-4438-bcea-8dcfc2576a9an@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=341&group=alt.language.latin#341

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2023 23:25:22 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: chronogrammata in camel case
From: mentific...@gmail.com (A.T. Murray)
 by: A.T. Murray - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 07:25 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 1:15:40 PM UTC-8, Btraven wrote:
> [...]
> OPERA
> ROTAS
>
> which being interpreted is
> [ego] sator I the sower [of discord]
> arepo creep away
> tenet [autem] He [however] holds
> opera with skill
> rotas the wheels
> [Deus] [God, that is]
>

> * This seems to mean not 'to be aborted' (of a fetus) but rather 'to become as if never having been born' (i.e. 'to die.'), a radically pagan notion, applying to everyone except people like Vergil or Ovid.
>
> bt
>
> p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit..
> (cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)

Although I do not understand this post very well, I have mined Latin links from it for the sake of:
"Changes being made on 2023-01-14 Saturday":
* Introducing mens.html link as "Latin AI";
* Removing material about Ada's Technical Books;
* Changing AI-in-Latin link from eBook to paperback w. improved format;
* Adding apparatus including Mentifex Autograph Postcard links;
* Adding https://ephemerisnuntii.eu -- EPHEMERIS - Nuntii Latini Universi;
* Adding http://www.leolatinus.de
and thus - thank you - I have updated my webpage of Latin-language resources at

https://ai.neocities.org/Concursus.html

Mentifex (Arthur)

Re: chronogrammata in camel case

<tq0j9r$2an97$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=342&group=alt.language.latin#342

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:06:58 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Sun, 15 Jan 2023 10:06 UTC

Btraven wrote:

> p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit.
> (cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)
dēnascor
dē-nascor, nasci,
v. dep., to perish, die (ante-class. and rare), opp. nasci, Varr. L. L.
5, § 70 Müll.; 21; Cass. Hem. ap. Non. 101, 29 ( = decrescere, Non.).

http://www.thecamperbook.com/man-saved-john-steinbecks-van/
Steinbeck says that it was purpose-built to his own design. He called it
"Rocinante" after Don Quixote's horse. Then he set off with his dog to
go amongst the people, re-establish the empathy that he put into Cannery
Row and The Grapes of Wrath.
He was very famous at the time, and with a vehicle like that it reminds
me of Leo Tolstoy (probably the most famous man in the world in 1910) in
his peasant garb getting on a train - to be instantly recognised!
Ed

Re: chronogrammata in camel case

<624eb4bd-a02f-46fb-a188-8b8aa5fe5126n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=343&group=alt.language.latin#343

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 07:00:07 -0800 (PST)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 15:00 UTC

On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 2:10:01 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
> Btraven wrote:
> >
> > p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit.
> > (cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)
> dēnascor
> dē-nascor, nasci,
> v. dep., to perish, die (ante-class. and rare), opp. nasci, Varr. L. L.
> 5, § 70 Müll.; 21; Cass. Hem. ap. Non. 101, 29 ( = decrescere, Non.).
>

> http://www.thecamperbook.com/man-saved-john-steinbecks-van/
> Steinbeck says that it was purpose-built to his own design. He called it
> "Rocinante" after Don Quixote's horse. Then he set off with his dog to
> go amongst the people, re-establish the empathy that he put into Cannery
> Row and The Grapes of Wrath.
> He was very famous at the time, and with a vehicle like that it reminds
> me of Leo Tolstoy (probably the most famous man in the world in 1910) in
> his peasant garb getting on a train - to be instantly recognised!
>
> Ed

Also Edison, Marconi, Twain, Teddy Rooseveldt (sp?) at about that time. Not many mainstreet Americans had heard of Tolstoy in 1910. There seems to be an oblique reference to him (unnamed) in _A portrait of the artist_ , if memory serves, but that might have been the tsar. This would have been about 10 years earlier, say 1901

Anyway, talk about synchronicity and serendipity! Want to girl up? See this link:

https://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_460218978c159d6ed865dfc5b6e999c1

Now I have to worry about Jess (commonwealther, not a yank) laying her bike down in an emergency. She seems willing to lay herself down as long as the bike and Moxie are unharmed. Moxie (the German shepherd) wears goggles to keep the cinders coming at her at 80 km per hour out of her canine eyes.

bt, sollicitus

p.s. How will Jess and Moxie's relationship affect her (the dog's) mind? She is not having normal superwolf experiences.

Re: chronogrammata in camel case

<b5207f9c-c622-4f7f-9106-9e4aa6c9283bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=346&group=alt.language.latin#346

Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 07:12:22 -0800 (PST)
From: caud...@gmail.com (Btraven)
 by: Btraven - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 15:12 UTC

On Saturday, January 14, 2023 at 11:25:27 PM UTC-8, menti...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit.
> > (cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)
> Although I do not understand this post very well, I have mined Latin links from it for the sake of:
> "Changes being made on 2023-01-14 Saturday":
> * Introducing mens.html link as "Latin AI";
> * Removing material about Ada's Technical Books;
> * Changing AI-in-Latin link from eBook to paperback w. improved format;
> * Adding apparatus including Mentifex Autograph Postcard links;
> * Adding https://ephemerisnuntii.eu -- EPHEMERIS - Nuntii Latini Universi;
> * Adding http://www.leolatinus.de
> and thus - thank you - I have updated my webpage of Latin-language resources at

You're welcome. Here's some more links ( to neolatin bloggers). Some urls may be defunct:

AGE, ASCENDE SVPERIVS! http://baccalaureatussecundus.blogspot.com/
Alea Iacta Est http://latineloquimur.blogspot.com/
Beatus Helveticus Salodurensis http://beatushelveticus.blogspot.com/
Catullus http://www.gaiusvaleriuscatullus.com/
Chorus Breviarii http://chorusbreviarii.blogspot.com/
Cogitationes Latinae | Aliquod Longius quam una Titiatio https://meletuslatinista.wordpress.com/
Commentariolum http://latin.centerblog.net/
Cras istud http://crasistud.blogspot.com/
De Rerum Scriptura http://dererumscriptura.blogspot.com/
Deus ex Crapula http://beluosus.livejournal.com/
dodecafonia https://dodecafonia.wordpress.com/ Rosa
Dē verbīs prōverbiīsque Latīnīs http://deverbisproverbiisque.blogspot.com/
Grex Latinus Didacopolitanus http://gladivs.blogspot.com/
Guido Woolnough https://guidowoolnough.wordpress.com/
Home Fuge http://homofuge.blogspot.com/
Iconoclastes http://iconoclastes2.blogspot.com/
In Aversa Charta http://inaversacharta.blogspot.com/
Ionathai Latinus Blogus http://www.latinusblogus.org/
La tribune de Renaud Mercier http://www.renaudmercier.org/ [Rostrum Rinaldi M.]
Latine altum videtur http://latinealtumvidetur.blogspot.com/
latine http://pastrix.canalblog.com/
Latinitas http://latinitas.blogspot.com/
Latinitas Viget http://vivalatinitas.blogspot.com/
Loci Amoeni http://loci-amoeni.blogspot.com/
Ludamus Latine (characteres utf-8) http://irisatus.blogspot.com/
Magister CivCiv http://magistercivciv.blogspot.com/ [Magister Civilitatis ???]
Morphologia Latina http://jortaga.blogs.uv.es/
Opus Scholaris https://scholarisopus.wordpress.com/
PONS TAGI http://ponstagi.blogspot.com/
Quod in solum http://quodinsolum.blogspot.com/
quodiversusabis http://quodiversusabis.blogspot.com/
Scripta Subsiciva http://scriptasubsiciva.blogspot.com/
Scriptorium Academicum Latinum http://sandra-ramosmaldonado.blogspot.com/ Alexandra Ramos
Societas Hispana Studiorum Classicorum http://seeclegionensis.blogspot.com/
Sodalitas Latina Veronensis https://sodalitaslatinaveronensis.wordpress.com/
Sulpicia http://sulpicia-sulpicia.blogspot.com/
The Mad Latinist http://jdm314.livejournal.com/ [Latinista cerritus]
Thersites http://thersites.blogia.com/
Veni Mecum, Sequere Me! http://latineloquamur.blogspot.com/
Verba et Facta http://nemo-nusquam.blogspot.com/ nemo.nusquam@gmail.com
Verba Varia http://verbavaria1.blogspot.com/
Vir cum Pluteo Pleno http://pluteopleno.blogspot.com/ https://plus.google.com/105985614558366179588 Peter Sipes
ἑαυτὸν παιδευόμενος http://heautonpaideuomenos.blogspot.com/ [autodidactus ???]
Ἰνδικῶν μεταφράσεων πρόδρομος http://sanskritika.blogspot.com/ http://www.blogger.com/profile/16266239627232788741 [praecursor versionum Indicarum]
使って覚えるしかないでしょうかラテン語 http://latina.sblo.jp/ [quod tantummodo Latine disci potest]

Re: chronogrammata in camel case

<tq48r4$2rmej$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=348&group=alt.language.latin#348

From: ed...@somewhere.in.the.uk (Ed Cryer)
Newsgroups: alt.language.latin
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:33:28 +0000
 by: Ed Cryer - Mon, 16 Jan 2023 19:33 UTC

Btraven wrote:
> On Sunday, January 15, 2023 at 2:10:01 AM UTC-8, Ed Cryer wrote:
>> Btraven wrote:
>>>
>>> p.s. Ego quoque, Ede abhinc multos annos legi _Itinera una cum Carulolo cane sed iam non memini utrum Ioannes noster usus sit vehiculo domiporto an habitaculo remulcato vel fortasse hamaxa sive plostellum tentorium adhibuit.
>>> (cab-over camper in pickup bed, trailer camper, or maybe a popup camper)
>> dēnascor
>> dē-nascor, nasci,
>> v. dep., to perish, die (ante-class. and rare), opp. nasci, Varr. L. L.
>> 5, § 70 Müll.; 21; Cass. Hem. ap. Non. 101, 29 ( = decrescere, Non.).
>>

>> http://www.thecamperbook.com/man-saved-john-steinbecks-van/
>> Steinbeck says that it was purpose-built to his own design. He called it
>> "Rocinante" after Don Quixote's horse. Then he set off with his dog to
>> go amongst the people, re-establish the empathy that he put into Cannery
>> Row and The Grapes of Wrath.
>> He was very famous at the time, and with a vehicle like that it reminds
>> me of Leo Tolstoy (probably the most famous man in the world in 1910) in
>> his peasant garb getting on a train - to be instantly recognised!
>>
>> Ed
>
> Also Edison, Marconi, Twain, Teddy Rooseveldt (sp?) at about that time. Not many mainstreet Americans had heard of Tolstoy in 1910. There seems to be an oblique reference to him (unnamed) in _A portrait of the artist_ , if memory serves, but that might have been the tsar. This would have been about 10 years earlier, say 1901
>
> Anyway, talk about synchronicity and serendipity! Want to girl up? See this link:
>
> https://lite.cnn.com/en/article/h_460218978c159d6ed865dfc5b6e999c1
>
> Now I have to worry about Jess (commonwealther, not a yank) laying her bike down in an emergency. She seems willing to lay herself down as long as the bike and Moxie are unharmed. Moxie (the German shepherd) wears goggles to keep the cinders coming at her at 80 km per hour out of her canine eyes.
>
> bt, sollicitus
>
> p.s. How will Jess and Moxie's relationship affect her (the dog's) mind? She is not having normal superwolf experiences.
He wrote that nobody recognised him. He drove right across America from
east to west, then back again. He describes encounters with lots of
fellow-Americans, most of whom seem to be uneducated and of the lower
stratum, and seems almost pleased.
Personally, I'd love to have met him. I'd have indulged myself over his
great empathy with the land in the Salinas valley, his belief in the
underdogs, his refusal to accept reason as a guide.
Overall, there's a toughness to the guy that I love; he doesn't let the
uneducated overwhelm him, he fights for his ideals when most others
would just say "give in", he gives us "sons of the soil" - uncorrupted
by society's seductions.
Ed