So... did you ever wonder, do garbagemen take showers before they go to work?

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3 answers: Empire lit, center of universe

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universePete Gayde
`- RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3 answers: Empire lit, center of universeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<XOOdnTl_WcAmxBb8nZ2dnUU7-I3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3419&group=rec.games.trivia#3419

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2021 23:33:47 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 05:33 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 10 (2011-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Another celebrity newborn with a ridiculous name: "Harper
Seven" came into the world last week. Who are her parents?
(Last name is sufficient.)

2. He created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island".
He died last week at age 94. Who was he?

* Game 10, Round 2 - Literature - The Empire Writes Back

These questions deal with modern writers from India and the
subcontinent, writers on India, and writings from the diaspora.

1. In 1986, this Calcutta-born author made literary waves
with his first fiction, "The Golden Gate", a novel in verse.
But it was his second novel, the 1500-page "A Suitable Boy",
published in 1993, that made him an international best-seller.
Name him.

2. Vikas Swarup is both India's consul-general to Osaka-Kobe and
a successful novelist. His prize-winning debut, 2005's "Q&A",
was transformed into a prize-winning movie -- under what title?

3. Did Dr. Aziz really assault Adela Quested in the caves of
Marabar, or was that all a product of her repressed English
imagination? And where is Mrs. Moore when you need her?
East meets West somewhat disastrously in this classic
1924 novel. Name it.

4. "I was born in the city of Bombay... in Doctor Narlikar's
Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947... Clock-hands joined
palms in respectful greeting as I came... At the precise
instant of India's arrival at independence, I tumbled forth
into the world." Name Salman Rushdie's epic novel of the
birth of India.

5. Poet, playwright, novelist, painter, prolific composer.
Bengal and India's greatest literary figure, and """so far"""
the only Indian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 1913.
Name him.

6. Born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1865, his parents sent him
to be raised in England at the age of 5. He would return
to India at 16 to work as a journalist, but his most beloved
work on India -- featuring such characters Bagheera, Akela,
and Kaa the python -- was largely written in a wooden house
in Vermont in the dead of winter. Who was he?

7. Also born in Bombay, educated at U of T, resident of Brampton.
Recipient of the Governor-General's award, the Giller Prize,
and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, and short-listed for
the Booker. Most lucratively, his novel "A Fine Balance"
was selected for Oprah's Book Club. Who are we talking about?

8. This Indian writer's first novel, "The God of Small Things",
won the Booker Prize and hit #4 on the New York Times
best-seller list in 1997. But the world is still waiting
for the follow-up, as the author devotes herself full-time
to social and political activism. Name her.

9. In this popular 2003 novel, later made into a movie,
Bangladesh-born Monica Ali portrays the lives of London's
Bangladeshi community. The novel takes its name from the
street at the heart of the community. Name it.

10. Like mother like daughter. Mother Anita has been short-listed
for the Booker """three""" times, including 1980's "Clear Light
of Day". Daughter Kiran won it in 2006 for "The Inheritance
of Loss". Their family name?

* Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the Universe!

But on the off chance that you want to go somewhere else,
you need to know the way. So, we name a city. On the map,
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr3/univ.png>, you tell the
letter of the line radiating from Toronto where that city lies.
Answers do not repeat.

1. Chicago IL.
2. Cleveland OH.
3. Detroit MI.
4. Montréal QC.
5. New York NY.
6. North Bay ON.
7. Ottawa ON.
8. Pittsburgh PA.
9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.
10. Washington DC.

As to the other 16 lines on the map, many of them don't have any
places on them as notable as the 10 places listed above. For each
of the other 16 lines, I've picked *two* places, some of them not
at all notable, that are either in or just beyond the mapped area,
and are on or close to the respective lines.

So if you're interested, for fun but for no points, then decode the
rot13 to see the list of possible answers and my list of 32 places,
and guess the line letter for each place.

Gur cbffvoyr nafjref ner OPQTUVWYACEHIJLM, naq rnpu bar jvyy bpphe
rknpgyl gjvpr.

11. Ngynagvp Pvgl AW.
12. Onapebsg BA.
13. Orniregba BA.
14. Oybbzvatgba VA.
15. Puneyrfgba JI.
16. Svaqynl BU.
17. Tbqrevpu BA.
18. Wnzrfgbja AL.
19. Xvapneqvar BA.
20. Xvatfgba BA.
21. Yvaqfnl BA.
22. Yvggyr Pheerag BA.
23. Znpxvanj Pvgl ZV.
24. Zbagcryvre IG.
25. Bcnfngvxn BA.
26. Crgnjnjn BA.
27. Cuvynqrycuvn CN.
28. Cynggfohetu AL.
29. Cebivqrapr EV.
30. Ebzr AL.
31. Fnengbtn Fcevatf AL.
32. Furobltna JV.
33. Fbhgunzcgba BA.
34. Fcevatsvryq ZN.
35. Fgnhagba IN.
36. Fgrcurafba JV.
37. Fhqohel BA.
38. Iny q'Be DP.
39. Jngregbja AL.
40. Jrlzbag DP.
41. Juvgr Evire BA.
42. Lbhatfgbja BU.

--
Mark Brader | "We may take pride in observing that there is
Toronto | not a single film showing in London today which
| -- Lord Tyrell, British film censors' chief, 1937

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<smfmf6$mok$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3420&group=rec.games.trivia#3420

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 05:48:22 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 05:48 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10 (2011-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Literature - The Empire Writes Back

> 1. In 1986, this Calcutta-born author made literary waves
> with his first fiction, "The Golden Gate", a novel in verse.
> But it was his second novel, the 1500-page "A Suitable Boy",
> published in 1993, that made him an international best-seller.
> Name him.

V. S. Naipal

> 2. Vikas Swarup is both India's consul-general to Osaka-Kobe and
> a successful novelist. His prize-winning debut, 2005's "Q&A",
> was transformed into a prize-winning movie -- under what title?

Slumdog Millionaire

> 4. "I was born in the city of Bombay... in Doctor Narlikar's
> Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947... Clock-hands joined
> palms in respectful greeting as I came... At the precise
> instant of India's arrival at independence, I tumbled forth
> into the world." Name Salman Rushdie's epic novel of the
> birth of India.

Midnight Children

> 5. Poet, playwright, novelist, painter, prolific composer.
> Bengal and India's greatest literary figure, and """so far"""
> the only Indian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 1913.
> Name him.

Rabindranath Tagore

> 6. Born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1865, his parents sent him
> to be raised in England at the age of 5. He would return
> to India at 16 to work as a journalist, but his most beloved
> work on India -- featuring such characters Bagheera, Akela,
> and Kaa the python -- was largely written in a wooden house
> in Vermont in the dead of winter. Who was he?

Rudyard Kipling

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the Universe!

> 1. Chicago IL.

> 2. Cleveland OH.

> 3. Detroit MI.

> 4. Montr?al QC.

> 5. New York NY.

> 6. North Bay ON.

Y; Z

> 7. Ottawa ON.

> 8. Pittsburgh PA.

> 9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.

> 10. Washington DC.

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<92fe9dec-f9cf-44cb-9233-63dadcbea674n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3421&group=rec.games.trivia#3421

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2021 22:16:22 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 06:16 UTC

On Tuesday, November 9, 2021 at 11:33:53 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10 (2011-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 2. He created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island".
> He died last week at age 94. Who was he?

Schwartz

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Literature - The Empire Writes Back
>
> These questions deal with modern writers from India and the
> subcontinent, writers on India, and writings from the diaspora.
>
> 1. In 1986, this Calcutta-born author made literary waves
> with his first fiction, "The Golden Gate", a novel in verse.
> But it was his second novel, the 1500-page "A Suitable Boy",
> published in 1993, that made him an international best-seller.
> Name him.

Seth

> 2. Vikas Swarup is both India's consul-general to Osaka-Kobe and
> a successful novelist. His prize-winning debut, 2005's "Q&A",
> was transformed into a prize-winning movie -- under what title?

"Slumdog Millionaire"

> 3. Did Dr. Aziz really assault Adela Quested in the caves of
> Marabar, or was that all a product of her repressed English
> imagination? And where is Mrs. Moore when you need her?
> East meets West somewhat disastrously in this classic
> 1924 novel. Name it.

"A Passage to India"

> 4. "I was born in the city of Bombay... in Doctor Narlikar's
> Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947... Clock-hands joined
> palms in respectful greeting as I came... At the precise
> instant of India's arrival at independence, I tumbled forth
> into the world." Name Salman Rushdie's epic novel of the
> birth of India.

"Midnight's Children"

> 5. Poet, playwright, novelist, painter, prolific composer.
> Bengal and India's greatest literary figure, and """so far"""
> the only Indian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 1913.
> Name him.

Tagore

> 6. Born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1865, his parents sent him
> to be raised in England at the age of 5. He would return
> to India at 16 to work as a journalist, but his most beloved
> work on India -- featuring such characters Bagheera, Akela,
> and Kaa the python -- was largely written in a wooden house
> in Vermont in the dead of winter. Who was he?

Kipling

> 8. This Indian writer's first novel, "The God of Small Things",
> won the Booker Prize and hit #4 on the New York Times
> best-seller list in 1997. But the world is still waiting
> for the follow-up, as the author devotes herself full-time
> to social and political activism. Name her.

Roy

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the Universe!
>
> But on the off chance that you want to go somewhere else,
> you need to know the way. So, we name a city. On the map,
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr3/univ.png>, you tell the
> letter of the line radiating from Toronto where that city lies.
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. Chicago IL.

> 2. Cleveland OH.

P; Q

> 3. Detroit MI.

> 4. Montréal QC.

> 5. New York NY.

> 6. North Bay ON.

Z; Y

> 7. Ottawa ON.

D; C

> 8. Pittsburgh PA.

M; N

> 9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.

> 10. Washington DC.

M; N
> As to the other 16 lines on the map, many of them don't have any
> places on them as notable as the 10 places listed above. For each
> of the other 16 lines, I've picked *two* places, some of them not
> at all notable, that are either in or just beyond the mapped area,
> and are on or close to the respective lines.
>
> So if you're interested, for fun but for no points, then decode the
> rot13 to see the list of possible answers and my list of 32 places,
> and guess the line letter for each place.
>
> Gur cbffvoyr nafjref ner OPQTUVWYACEHIJLM, naq rnpu bar jvyy bpphe
> rknpgyl gjvpr.
>
> 11. Ngynagvp Pvgl AW.

> 14. Oybbzvatgba VA.

> 27. Cuvynqrycuvn CN.

> 29. Cebivqrapr EV.

Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<XnsADDEDE441B108Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3422&group=rec.games.trivia#3422

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 21:50:58 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Wed, 10 Nov 2021 20:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the
> Universe!
>
> But on the off chance that you want to go somewhere else,
> you need to know the way. So, we name a city. On the map,
><http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr3/univ.png>, you tell the
> letter of the line radiating from Toronto where that city lies.
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. Chicago IL.

> 2. Cleveland OH.

> 3. Detroit MI.

> 4. Montréal QC.

> 5. New York NY.

> 6. North Bay ON.

> 7. Ottawa ON.

> 8. Pittsburgh PA.

> 9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.

> 10. Washington DC.

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<smhqvj$cu5$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3423&group=rec.games.trivia#3423

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2021 17:17:37 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Thu, 11 Nov 2021 01:17 UTC

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3: Empire lit, center of universe

<smmiqa$7gl$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3424&group=rec.games.trivia#3424

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 14:28:58 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 12 Nov 2021 20:28 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 10 (2011-07-18), Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Another celebrity newborn with a ridiculous name: "Harper
> Seven" came into the world last week. Who are her parents?
> (Last name is sufficient.)
>
> 2. He created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island".
> He died last week at age 94. Who was he?

Sherwood Schwartz

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Literature - The Empire Writes Back
>
> These questions deal with modern writers from India and the
> subcontinent, writers on India, and writings from the diaspora.
>
> 1. In 1986, this Calcutta-born author made literary waves
> with his first fiction, "The Golden Gate", a novel in verse.
> But it was his second novel, the 1500-page "A Suitable Boy",
> published in 1993, that made him an international best-seller.
> Name him.
>
> 2. Vikas Swarup is both India's consul-general to Osaka-Kobe and
> a successful novelist. His prize-winning debut, 2005's "Q&A",
> was transformed into a prize-winning movie -- under what title?
>
> 3. Did Dr. Aziz really assault Adela Quested in the caves of
> Marabar, or was that all a product of her repressed English
> imagination? And where is Mrs. Moore when you need her?
> East meets West somewhat disastrously in this classic
> 1924 novel. Name it.
>
> 4. "I was born in the city of Bombay... in Doctor Narlikar's
> Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947... Clock-hands joined
> palms in respectful greeting as I came... At the precise
> instant of India's arrival at independence, I tumbled forth
> into the world." Name Salman Rushdie's epic novel of the
> birth of India.

Midnight's Child

> 5. Poet, playwright, novelist, painter, prolific composer.
> Bengal and India's greatest literary figure, and """so far"""
> the only Indian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 1913.
> Name him.
>
> 6. Born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1865, his parents sent him
> to be raised in England at the age of 5. He would return
> to India at 16 to work as a journalist, but his most beloved
> work on India -- featuring such characters Bagheera, Akela,
> and Kaa the python -- was largely written in a wooden house
> in Vermont in the dead of winter. Who was he?
>
> 7. Also born in Bombay, educated at U of T, resident of Brampton.
> Recipient of the Governor-General's award, the Giller Prize,
> and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, and short-listed for
> the Booker. Most lucratively, his novel "A Fine Balance"
> was selected for Oprah's Book Club. Who are we talking about?
>
> 8. This Indian writer's first novel, "The God of Small Things",
> won the Booker Prize and hit #4 on the New York Times
> best-seller list in 1997. But the world is still waiting
> for the follow-up, as the author devotes herself full-time
> to social and political activism. Name her.
>
> 9. In this popular 2003 novel, later made into a movie,
> Bangladesh-born Monica Ali portrays the lives of London's
> Bangladeshi community. The novel takes its name from the
> street at the heart of the community. Name it.
>
> 10. Like mother like daughter. Mother Anita has been short-listed
> for the Booker """three""" times, including 1980's "Clear Light
> of Day". Daughter Kiran won it in 2006 for "The Inheritance
> of Loss". Their family name?
>

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the Universe!
>
> But on the off chance that you want to go somewhere else,
> you need to know the way. So, we name a city. On the map,
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr3/univ.png>, you tell the
> letter of the line radiating from Toronto where that city lies.
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> 1. Chicago IL.

> 2. Cleveland OH.

Q; R

> 3. Detroit MI.

> 4. Montréal QC.

> 5. New York NY.

> 6. North Bay ON.

Y; A

> 7. Ottawa ON.

> 8. Pittsburgh PA.

> 9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.

> 10. Washington DC.

> As to the other 16 lines on the map, many of them don't have any
> places on them as notable as the 10 places listed above. For each
> of the other 16 lines, I've picked *two* places, some of them not
> at all notable, that are either in or just beyond the mapped area,
> and are on or close to the respective lines.
>
> So if you're interested, for fun but for no points, then decode the
> rot13 to see the list of possible answers and my list of 32 places,
> and guess the line letter for each place.
>
> Gur cbffvoyr nafjref ner OPQTUVWYACEHIJLM, naq rnpu bar jvyy bpphe
> rknpgyl gjvpr.
>
> 11. Ngynagvp Pvgl AW.
> 12. Onapebsg BA.
> 13. Orniregba BA.
> 14. Oybbzvatgba VA.
> 15. Puneyrfgba JI.
> 16. Svaqynl BU.
> 17. Tbqrevpu BA.
> 18. Wnzrfgbja AL.
> 19. Xvapneqvar BA.
> 20. Xvatfgba BA.
> 21. Yvaqfnl BA.
> 22. Yvggyr Pheerag BA.
> 23. Znpxvanj Pvgl ZV.
> 24. Zbagcryvre IG.
> 25. Bcnfngvxn BA.
> 26. Crgnjnjn BA.
> 27. Cuvynqrycuvn CN.
> 28. Cynggfohetu AL.
> 29. Cebivqrapr EV.
> 30. Ebzr AL.
> 31. Fnengbtn Fcevatf AL.
> 32. Furobltna JV.
> 33. Fbhgunzcgba BA.
> 34. Fcevatsvryq ZN.
> 35. Fgnhagba IN.
> 36. Fgrcurafba JV.
> 37. Fhqohel BA.
> 38. Iny q'Be DP.
> 39. Jngregbja AL.
> 40. Jrlzbag DP.
> 41. Juvgr Evire BA.
> 42. Lbhatfgbja BU.

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3 answers: Empire lit, center of universe

<7pCdneLYVvpj1RL8nZ2dnUU7-f3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3425&group=rec.games.trivia#3425

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 2-3 answers: Empire lit, center of universe
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 23:11:26 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 13 Nov 2021 05:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 10..., Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Another celebrity newborn with a ridiculous name: "Harper
> Seven" came into the world last week. Who are her parents?
> (Last name is sufficient.)

Victoria and David Beckham.

> 2. He created "The Brady Bunch" and "Gilligan's Island".
> He died last week at age 94. Who was he?

Sherwood Schwartz. Joshua and Pete got this.

> * Game 10, Round 2 - Literature - The Empire Writes Back

> These questions deal with modern writers from India and the
> subcontinent, writers on India, and writings from the diaspora.

> 1. In 1986, this Calcutta-born author made literary waves
> with his first fiction, "The Golden Gate", a novel in verse.
> But it was his second novel, the 1500-page "A Suitable Boy",
> published in 1993, that made him an international best-seller.
> Name him.

Vikram Seth. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. Vikas Swarup is both India's consul-general to Osaka-Kobe and
> a successful novelist. His prize-winning debut, 2005's "Q&A",
> was transformed into a prize-winning movie -- under what title?

"Slumdog Millionaire". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 3. Did Dr. Aziz really assault Adela Quested in the caves of
> Marabar, or was that all a product of her repressed English
> imagination? And where is Mrs. Moore when you need her?
> East meets West somewhat disastrously in this classic
> 1924 novel. Name it.

"A Passage to India". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. "I was born in the city of Bombay... in Doctor Narlikar's
> Nursing Home on August 15th, 1947... Clock-hands joined
> palms in respectful greeting as I came... At the precise
> instant of India's arrival at independence, I tumbled forth
> into the world." Name Salman Rushdie's epic novel of the
> birth of India.

"Midnight's Children". 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua. 3 for Pete.

> 5. Poet, playwright, novelist, painter, prolific composer.
> Bengal and India's greatest literary figure, and """so far"""
> the only Indian to win the Nobel Prize for Literature, in 1913.
> Name him.

Rabindranath Tagore. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 6. Born in Bombay (now Mumbai) in 1865, his parents sent him
> to be raised in England at the age of 5. He would return
> to India at 16 to work as a journalist, but his most beloved
> work on India -- featuring such characters Bagheera, Akela,
> and Kaa the python -- was largely written in a wooden house
> in Vermont in the dead of winter. Who was he?

Rudyard Kipling ("The Jungle Book"). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Also born in Bombay, educated at U of T, resident of Brampton.
> Recipient of the Governor-General's award, the Giller Prize,
> and the Commonwealth Writers' Prize, and short-listed for
> the Booker. Most lucratively, his novel "A Fine Balance"
> was selected for Oprah's Book Club. Who are we talking about?

Rohinton Mistry.

> 8. This Indian writer's first novel, "The God of Small Things",
> won the Booker Prize and hit #4 on the New York Times
> best-seller list in 1997. But the world is still waiting
> for the follow-up, as the author devotes herself full-time
> to social and political activism. Name her.

Arundhati Roy. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. In this popular 2003 novel, later made into a movie,
> Bangladesh-born Monica Ali portrays the lives of London's
> Bangladeshi community. The novel takes its name from the
> street at the heart of the community. Name it.

"Brick Lane".

> 10. Like mother like daughter. Mother Anita has been short-listed
> for the Booker """three""" times, including 1980's "Clear Light
> of Day". Daughter Kiran won it in 2006 for "The Inheritance
> of Loss". Their family name?

Desai. (Still true.)

> * Game 10, Round 3 - Geography - Toronto Really is the Center of the Universe!

> But on the off chance that you want to go somewhere else,
> you need to know the way. So, we name a city. On the map,
> <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr3/univ.png>, you tell the
> letter of the line radiating from Toronto where that city lies.
> Answers do not repeat.

> 1. Chicago IL.

T. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Cleveland OH.

Q. 4 for Erland. 3 for Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 3. Detroit MI.

S. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Montréal QC.

F. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. New York NY.

K. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 6. North Bay ON.

A. 2 for Pete.

> 7. Ottawa ON.

E. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. Pittsburgh PA.

O.

> 9. Sault Ste. Marie ON.

X. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. Washington DC.

M. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> As to the other 16 lines on the map, many of them don't have any
> places on them as notable as the 10 places listed above. For each
> of the other 16 lines, I've picked *two* places, some of them not
> at all notable, that are either in or just beyond the mapped area,
> and are on or close to the respective lines.

> So if you're interested, for fun but for no points... The possible
> answers are BCDGHIJLNPRUVWYZ, and each one will occur exactly twice.

> 11. Atlantic City NJ.

L. Joshua got this.

> 12. Bancroft ON.

D.

> 13. Beaverton ON.

B.

> 14. Bloomington IN.

R. Joshua got this.

> 15. Charleston WV.

P.

> 16. Findlay OH.

R.

> 17. Goderich ON.

U.

> 18. Jamestown NY.

N.

> 19. Kincardine ON.

V.

> 20. Kingston ON.

G.

> 21. Lindsay ON.

C.

> 22. Little Current ON.

Y.

> 23. Mackinaw City MI.

W.

> 24. Montpelier VT.

H.

> 25. Opasatika ON.

Z.

> 26. Petawawa ON.

C.

> 27. Philadelphia PA.

L. Joshua got this.

> 28. Plattsburgh NY.

G.

> 29. Providence RI.

J. Joshua got this.

> 30. Rome NY.

I.

> 31. Saratoga Springs NY.

I.

> 32. Sheboygan WI.

U.

> 33. Southampton ON.

W.

> 34. Springfield MA.

J.

> 35. Staunton VA.

N.

> 36. Stephenson WI.

V.

> 37. Sudbury ON.

Z.

> 38. Val d'Or QC.

B.

> 39. Watertown NY.

H.

> 40. Weymont QC.

D.

> 41. White River ON.

Y.

> 42. Youngstown OH.

P.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Geo
Joshua Kreitzer 28 25 53
Dan Blum 16 16 32
Dan Tilque 4 28 32
Pete Gayde 3 29 32
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 8

--
Mark Brader | "Weight... wait... what?"
Toronto | "Last night I had a dream that I weighed less