No rock so hard but that a little wave May beat admission in a thousand years. -- Tennyson

interests / soc.culture.china / Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

SubjectAuthor
* Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaJedi Master
`* Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaByker
 +- Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaJedi Master
 `* Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaRusty Wyse
  +* Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Seabmoore
  |+* Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sealtlee1
  ||`- Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Seabmoore
  |+- Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaRusty Wyse
  |`- Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaByker
  `* Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Seaborie
   `- Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China SeaByker

1
Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<40a77426-9f76-410a-ae8e-034d99c367d3n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3426&group=soc.culture.china#3426

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2021 22:33:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea
From: cybernet...@gmail.com (Jedi Master)
 by: Jedi Master - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 05:33 UTC

Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can be seen from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<3audnWTKfaBSpXL9nZ2dnUU7-eHNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3439&group=soc.culture.china#3439

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,talk.politics.misc,alt.global-warming,soc.culture.asian,soc.culture.india
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2021 14:19:43 -0500
 by: Byker - Wed, 14 Jul 2021 19:19 UTC

"Jedi Master" wrote in message

> Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The
> dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can
> be seen from space.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks

No biggie. It's biodegradable...

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<badd6c36-59cd-4c40-af96-37445f8c7a6fn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3532&group=soc.culture.china#3532

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 09:36:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: cybernet...@gmail.com (Jedi Master)
 by: Jedi Master - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 16:36 UTC

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 9:19:50 AM UTC-10, Byker wrote:
> "Jedi Master" wrote in message
> >
> > Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The
> > dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can
> > be seen from space.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks
> No biggie. It's biodegradable...

Don't give me that shit!

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<ade1ac27-dc13-4d66-8f70-171ed3088763n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3538&group=soc.culture.china#3538

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 10:55:47 -0700 (PDT)
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 17:55 UTC

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
> "Jedi Master" wrote in message
> >
> > Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The
> > dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can
> > be seen from space.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks
> No biggie. It's biodegradable...

Yeah!!! What's the big deal????

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<ff7c3138-40a5-45f5-a088-fd50b44d1cfan@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3544&group=soc.culture.china#3544

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:01:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:01 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 10:55:48 AM UTC-7, yale...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
> > "Jedi Master" wrote in message
> > >
> > > Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The
> > > dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can
> > > be seen from space.
> > >
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks
> > No biggie. It's biodegradable...
> Yeah!!! What's the big deal????

https://www.insider.com/chinese-ships-dumped-sewage-south-china-sea-see-from-space-2021-7

Raw sewage discharged from more than 200 Chinese fishing vessels around the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea is causing extensive damage to coral reefs, Simularity, a US satellite imagery analysis firm, said Monday.

"The sewage from the anchored ships in the Spratlys is damaging the reefs, and we can see this from space," Simularity founder and CEO Liz Derr said during a digital forum hosted by the Manila think tank Stratbase ADR Institute.

"The hundreds of ships that are anchored there are dumping raw sewage, every day onto the reefs they are occupying," said Derr during the presentation, adding "when the ships don't move, the poop piles up."

The satellite images taken over five years — between May 14, 2016 and June 17, 2021— show a stark contrast in alga growth. Researchers found that 236 Chinese vessels were recorded motionless In the waters during that time period.

Peter Koning, vice president of sales at Simularity, told Insider in an email that it is not normal for vessels to stay motionless for such long periods, and that they have been monitoring the ships for months.

Excess sewage encourages the growth of phytoplankton in the water, which can cause oxygen shortages. Without adequate oxygen supply in the water, coral reefs habitats can die.

"These bacteria consume oxygen that would normally be available to the fish, creating a 'dead zone,'" Simularity said in its report. Coral reefs take up to 10,000 years to form, and barrier reefs and atolls take between 100,000 and 30 million years to fully form.

"This is a catastrophe of epic proportions and we are close to the point of no return," Derr said.

Simularity warned that it's not just coral reefs that are at risk here, but fish stocks in the South China Sea — an important food source for the region.

The Philippines, one of the claimants to the South China Sea, said it is in the process of verifying Simularity's report.

"While we are confirming and verifying these wastes being dumped … We consider such irresponsible acts, if true, to be gravely detrimental to the marine ecology in the area," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, per Reuters.

"China treating us as its toilet is a clear violation of both international and local environmental laws," Philippines Senator Grace Poe said in a statement, reported the Inquirer.

At least five countries lay claim to islands in the South China Sea, including the Philippines, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Indonesia. In 2016, the International Court of Justice, or The Hague, rejected China's claims in the South China Sea.

A 600-foot 'garbage belt' has taken over a Chinese UNESCO world heritage site and is overwhelming local herders tasked with cleaning it up
Years of trash building up in the tourist-filled region has littered the region with swathes of plastic bags, paint buckets, cans, and even dead sheep and yaks.

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<6948589f-80b4-470e-8d19-874e0e1ed27bn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3546&group=soc.culture.china#3546

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: ltl...@hotmail.com (ltlee1)
 by: ltlee1 - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:21 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 3:01:24 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 10:55:48 AM UTC-7, yale...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
> > > "Jedi Master" wrote in message

> > > No biggie. It's biodegradable...
> > Yeah!!! What's the big deal????
> https://www.insider.com/chinese-ships-dumped-sewage-south-china-sea-see-from-space-2021-7
>
> Raw sewage discharged from more than 200 Chinese fishing vessels around the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea is causing extensive damage to coral reefs, Simularity, a US satellite imagery analysis firm, said Monday.
>
> "The sewage from the anchored ships in the Spratlys is damaging the reefs, and we can see this from space," Simularity founder and CEO Liz Derr said during a digital forum hosted by the Manila think tank Stratbase ADR Institute.
>
> "The hundreds of ships that are anchored there are dumping raw sewage, every day onto the reefs they are occupying," said Derr during the presentation, adding "when the ships don't move, the poop piles up."
>
> The satellite images taken over five years — between May 14, 2016 and June 17, 2021— show a stark contrast in alga growth. Researchers found that 236 Chinese vessels were recorded motionless In the waters during that time period.
>
> Peter Koning, vice president of sales at Simularity, told Insider in an email that it is not normal for vessels to stay motionless for such long periods, and that they have been monitoring the ships for months.
>
> Excess sewage encourages the growth of phytoplankton in the water, which can cause oxygen shortages. Without adequate oxygen supply in the water, coral reefs habitats can die.
>
> "These bacteria consume oxygen that would normally be available to the fish, creating a 'dead zone,'" Simularity said in its report. Coral reefs take up to 10,000 years to form, and barrier reefs and atolls take between 100,000 and 30 million years to fully form.
>
> "This is a catastrophe of epic proportions and we are close to the point of no return," Derr said.
>
> Simularity warned that it's not just coral reefs that are at risk here, but fish stocks in the South China Sea — an important food source for the region.
>
> The Philippines, one of the claimants to the South China Sea, said it is in the process of verifying Simularity's report.
>
> "While we are confirming and verifying these wastes being dumped … We consider such irresponsible acts, if true, to be gravely detrimental to the marine ecology in the area," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, per Reuters.

"While we are confirming and veriying..."
Basically still unconfirmed and unverified accusation per the news report.
Is such pick from the ether reporting just a way to divert attention from far more serious confirmed and verified contamination?
For example, 17 million gallons of sewage spill into Santa Monica Bay last week. Four miles of beach was closed for three days.

> "China treating us as its toilet is a clear violation of both international and local environmental laws," Philippines Senator Grace Poe said in a statement, reported the Inquirer.
>
> At least five countries lay claim to islands in the South China Sea, including the Philippines, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Indonesia. In 2016, the International Court of Justice, or The Hague, rejected China's claims in the South China Sea.
>
> A 600-foot 'garbage belt' has taken over a Chinese UNESCO world heritage site and is overwhelming local herders tasked with cleaning it up
> Years of trash building up in the tourist-filled region has littered the region with swathes of plastic bags, paint buckets, cans, and even dead sheep and yaks.

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<2c3769c7-1129-442d-82e1-ab77b6010cc1n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3547&group=soc.culture.china#3547

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2021 12:27:19 -0700 (PDT)
From: bmo...@nyx.net (bmoore)
 by: bmoore - Sat, 17 Jul 2021 19:27 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:21:40 PM UTC-7, ltlee1 wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 3:01:24 PM UTC-4, bmoore wrote:

> > > Yeah!!! What's the big deal????
> > https://www.insider.com/chinese-ships-dumped-sewage-south-china-sea-see-from-space-2021-7
> >
> > Raw sewage discharged from more than 200 Chinese fishing vessels around the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea is causing extensive damage to coral reefs, Simularity, a US satellite imagery analysis firm, said Monday.
> >
> > "The sewage from the anchored ships in the Spratlys is damaging the reefs, and we can see this from space," Simularity founder and CEO Liz Derr said during a digital forum hosted by the Manila think tank Stratbase ADR Institute.
> >
> > "The hundreds of ships that are anchored there are dumping raw sewage, every day onto the reefs they are occupying," said Derr during the presentation, adding "when the ships don't move, the poop piles up."
> >
> > The satellite images taken over five years — between May 14, 2016 and June 17, 2021— show a stark contrast in alga growth. Researchers found that 236 Chinese vessels were recorded motionless In the waters during that time period.
> >
> > Peter Koning, vice president of sales at Simularity, told Insider in an email that it is not normal for vessels to stay motionless for such long periods, and that they have been monitoring the ships for months.
> >
> > Excess sewage encourages the growth of phytoplankton in the water, which can cause oxygen shortages. Without adequate oxygen supply in the water, coral reefs habitats can die.
> >
> > "These bacteria consume oxygen that would normally be available to the fish, creating a 'dead zone,'" Simularity said in its report. Coral reefs take up to 10,000 years to form, and barrier reefs and atolls take between 100,000 and 30 million years to fully form.
> >
> > "This is a catastrophe of epic proportions and we are close to the point of no return," Derr said.
> >
> > Simularity warned that it's not just coral reefs that are at risk here, but fish stocks in the South China Sea — an important food source for the region.
> >
> > The Philippines, one of the claimants to the South China Sea, said it is in the process of verifying Simularity's report.
> >
> > "While we are confirming and verifying these wastes being dumped … We consider such irresponsible acts, if true, to be gravely detrimental to the marine ecology in the area," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, per Reuters.
> "While we are confirming and veriying..."
> Basically still unconfirmed and unverified accusation per the news report..
> Is such pick from the ether reporting just a way to divert attention from far more serious confirmed and verified contamination?
> For example, 17 million gallons of sewage spill into Santa Monica Bay last week. Four miles of beach was closed for three days.

Lotta shit in that ether. Get real.

> > "China treating us as its toilet is a clear violation of both international and local environmental laws," Philippines Senator Grace Poe said in a statement, reported the Inquirer.

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<702a5f6c-18e9-4ed6-9f4b-733feb7a7ae0n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3568&group=soc.culture.china#3568

Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 09:19:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: yale....@gmail.com (Rusty Wyse)
 by: Rusty Wyse - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 16:19 UTC

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 12:01:24 PM UTC-7, bmoore wrote:
> On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 10:55:48 AM UTC-7, yale...@gmail.com wrote:
> > On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
> > > "Jedi Master" wrote in message

> > > No biggie. It's biodegradable...
> > Yeah!!! What's the big deal????
> https://www.insider.com/chinese-ships-dumped-sewage-south-china-sea-see-from-space-2021-7
>
> Raw sewage discharged from more than 200 Chinese fishing vessels around the contested Spratly
Islands in the South China Sea is causing extensive damage to coral reefs, Simularity, a US satellite imagery analysis firm, said Monday.

It's not believable!!!! 200 fishing vessels? with how many people on each? Don't they have families? Don't they have to make money to live???

> "The sewage from the anchored ships in the Spratlys is damaging the reefs, and we can see this from space," Simularity founder and CEO Liz Derr said during a digital forum hosted by the Manila think tank Stratbase ADR Institute.
>
> "The hundreds of ships that are anchored there are dumping raw sewage, every day onto the reefs they are occupying," said Derr during the presentation, adding "when the ships don't move, the poop piles up."
>
> The satellite images taken over five years — between May 14, 2016 and June 17, 2021— show a stark contrast in alga growth. Researchers found that 236 Chinese vessels were recorded motionless In the waters during that time period.
>
> Peter Koning, vice president of sales at Simularity, told Insider in an email that it is not normal for vessels to stay motionless for such long periods, and that they have been monitoring the ships for months.
>
> Excess sewage encourages the growth of phytoplankton in the water, which can cause oxygen shortages. Without adequate oxygen supply in the water, coral reefs habitats can die.
>
> "These bacteria consume oxygen that would normally be available to the fish, creating a 'dead zone,'" Simularity said in its report. Coral reefs take up to 10,000 years to form, and barrier reefs and atolls take between 100,000 and 30 million years to fully form.
>
> "This is a catastrophe of epic proportions and we are close to the point of no return," Derr said.
>
> Simularity warned that it's not just coral reefs that are at risk here, but fish stocks in the South China Sea — an important food source for the region.
>
> The Philippines, one of the claimants to the South China Sea, said it is in the process of verifying Simularity's report.
>
> "While we are confirming and verifying these wastes being dumped … We consider such irresponsible acts, if true, to be gravely detrimental to the marine ecology in the area," Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said in a statement, per Reuters.
>
> "China treating us as its toilet is a clear violation of both international and local environmental laws," Philippines Senator Grace Poe said in a statement, reported the Inquirer.
>
> At least five countries lay claim to islands in the South China Sea, including the Philippines, China, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Indonesia. In 2016, the International Court of Justice, or The Hague, rejected China's claims in the South China Sea.
>
> A 600-foot 'garbage belt' has taken over a Chinese UNESCO world heritage site and is overwhelming local herders tasked with cleaning it up
> Years of trash building up in the tourist-filled region has littered the region with swathes of plastic bags, paint buckets, cans, and even dead sheep and yaks.

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<0JednXsdn6PoN2n9nZ2dnUU7-TfNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3576&group=soc.culture.china#3576

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,alt.global-warming,alt.fan.rush-limbaugh,sci.military.naval,talk.politics.misc
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2021 17:25:55 -0500
 by: Byker - Sun, 18 Jul 2021 22:25 UTC

"bmoore" wrote in message

On Saturday, July 17, 2021 at 10:55:48 AM UTC-7, yale...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
>> >
>> > No biggie. It's biodegradable...
>> Yeah!!! What's the big deal????
>
> https://www.insider.com/chinese-ships-dumped-sewage-south-china-sea-see-from-space-2021-7
>
> Raw sewage discharged from more than 200 Chinese fishing vessels around
> the contested Spratly Islands in the South China Sea is causing extensive
> damage to coral reefs, Simularity, a US satellite imagery analysis firm,
> said Monday.
>
> "The sewage from the anchored ships in the Spratlys is damaging the reefs,
> and we can see this from space," Simularity founder and CEO Liz Derr said
> during a digital forum hosted by the Manila think tank Stratbase ADR
> Institute.

Where's Greenpeace? They're probably afraid of becoming
involuntary organ donors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unXw_TQSpFw

or plastinated cadavers:
https://img.thedailybeast.com/image/upload/v1505520351/170915-BODY-SEX-tease_bbeddj.jpg

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<sd41um$3p0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3589&group=soc.culture.china#3589

From: bor...@gmail.com (borie)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 22:24:28 +0800
 by: borie - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:24 UTC

For years, American, and Japanese fishing boats and ocean fishing ships,
commercial ships like oil tankers and container ships, navy ships and
submarines, have all dumped their human wastes directly into the sea.

They never complained about themselves. They said they are okayed with that
because they are bio-degradable, as it is the waste from the digestion of
foods discharged from the human body.

Seriously, the American complainer who wrote about it, should visit India
and write how India is devastated with human wastes. The American writer on
this should be able to smell human waste from the moment when the airliner's
door is open for alighting at the aerobridge.

The shit smell pervades throughout the aerobridge to the escalators and to
the custom and immigration areas, and even to the arrival hall.

The 1.3 billion Indians in India are dumping tons of human wastes on the
grounds polluting the air as well as underground well water.

The carbon dioxide from the human wastes has depleted all the oxygen in the
air in India. No wonder, thousands of Indians are dying of Indian Covid -
the so-called Delta variant, is now choking the country to breathlessness of
deaths.

"Rusty Wyse" wrote in message

On Wednesday, July 14, 2021 at 12:19:50 PM UTC-7, Byker wrote:
> "Jedi Master" wrote in message
> >
> > Chinese vessels are flushing 'human waste' in the #SouthChinaSea. The
> > dumping levels are so intense that the waste has formed clusters and can
> > be seen from space.
> >
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmIQprH3zks
> No biggie. It's biodegradable...

Yeah!!! What's the big deal????

Re: Gravitas: China is dumping 'human waste' in South China Sea

<H4-dnUMwyv1sUGj9nZ2dnUU7-VnNnZ2d@earthlink.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3615&group=soc.culture.china#3615

From: byk...@do~rag.net (Byker)
Newsgroups: soc.culture.china,soc.culture.india,uk.politics.misc,talk.politics.misc,alt.global-warming
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2021 14:09:36 -0500
 by: Byker - Mon, 19 Jul 2021 19:09 UTC

"borie" wrote in message news:sd41um$3p0$1@dont-email.me...

> Seriously, the American complainer who wrote about it, should visit India
> and write how India is devastated with human wastes. The American writer
> on this should be able to smell human waste from the moment when the
> airliner's door is open for alighting at the aerobridge.

That's something that comes up again and again, the odor of human shit upon
de-planing.

> The shit smell pervades throughout the aerobridge to the escalators and to
> the custom and immigration areas, and even to the arrival hall.
>
> The 1.3 billion Indians in India are dumping tons of human wastes on the
> grounds polluting the air as well as underground well water.
>
> The carbon dioxide from the human wastes has depleted all the oxygen in
> the air in India. No wonder, thousands of Indians are dying of Indian
> Covid - the so-called Delta variant, is now choking the country to
> breathlessness of deaths.

You'd think they'd have SOME natural resistance, considering all the
pathogens they're exposed to on a daily basis. Even the Chinese are
repulsed:
https://www.chinasmack.com/filthy-india-photos-chinese-netizen-reactions