Lord, what fools these mortals be! -- William Shakespeare, "A Midsummer-Night's Dream"

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengePete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeJoshua Kreitzer
`* Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challengeMark Brader
 `- RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10 answers: hats, challengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<uMWdnWNNtNo9xwr8nZ2dnUU7-avNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3440&group=rec.games.trivia#3440

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 02:04:48 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 08:04 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats

Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.

1. Montera.
2. Shako.
3. Stetson.
4. Cloche.
5. Biretta.
6. Chullo.

Please complete those questions before decoding the rot13 for the
remaining questions, in which, of course, you are given a letter
and asked to name the hat.

7. P.
8. V.
9. O.
10. A.

Now decode the rot13 below if you want to see which ones were the
decoys; name them if you like for fun, but for no points. Note:
Some of these answers were suggested by entrants the last time I
posted these rounds.

11. Z.
12. U.
13. T.
14. Y.

** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge

* A. Literature: Bond... Not Fleming

Ian Fleming died in 1964, but James Bond went on to new adventures,
penned by a variety of authors.

A1. He wrote "The James Bond Dossier", the first critical study
of Fleming's series. Three years later, in 1968, he
published the first non-Fleming Bond novel, "Colonel Sun".
His pen name for this book was Robert Markham. Who was
he really? We need both his first and his last name,
but his title is not necessary.

A2. American Jeffery Deaver, author of many crime novels
and creator of criminalist Lincoln Rhyme, wrote the """most
recent""" Bond novel. What's the title?

* B. Venice

B1. This city was administratively unified with Venice about
100 years ago, but previously, when Venice proper was
entirely on islands, this was the nearest mainland city
to it. Name the place.

B2. The oldest """surviving""" bridge across the Grand Canal
dates from 1591. What's its name?

* C. David Cronenberg in the 21st Century

This Canadian director no longer """writes""" all his own scripts,
but he's """not done""" scaring us yet.

C1. Ralph Fiennes plays a recovering/relapsing mental patient.
Patrick McGrath wrote the screenplay based on his own novel.
The cast also includes Gabriel Byrne and Lynn Redgrave.
Name the Cronenberg movie from 2002.

C2. The Russian mob in London. Viggo Mortensen plays Nikolai,
just the driver... or is he? Naomi Watts co-stars. Steven
Knight wrote the screenplay. Name the 2007 Cronenberg movie.

* D. Public Sculpture

D1. In 1926, sculptor Emmanuel Hahn created the statue of Ned
Hanlan that """now""" stands at Hanlan's Point on the
Toronto Islands. But you don't have to go that far to
see Hahn's work. Two objects you """have""" in your hands
almost every day were designed by Hahn in 1937. Name either.

D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?

* E. Fashion Pioneers

E1. The father of haute couture was an Englishman (born 1825,
died 1895) who moved to Paris in 1846. He made dresses
for the Empress Eugénie, Sarah Bernhardt, and Nellie Melba
among others, and is believed to be the first designer to
put labels in his clothes. Name him.

E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
fashion shows. Who are we talking about?

* F. Music: Requiems

F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.

F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
his mother. Name the bereaved son.

--
Mark Brader "Oh, I'm a programmer and I'm O.K....
Toronto I work all night and I sleep all day"

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<XnsADE7B2CAA841Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3441&group=rec.games.trivia#3441

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 17:34:33 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 16:34 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
> and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.
>
> 1. Montera.

> 2. Shako.

> 3. Stetson.

> 4. Cloche.

> 5. Biretta.

> 6. Chullo.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Bond... Not Fleming
>
> * B. Venice
>
> B1. This city was administratively unified with Venice about
> 100 years ago, but previously, when Venice proper was
> entirely on islands, this was the nearest mainland city
> to it. Name the place.

Mestre
> B2. The oldest """surviving""" bridge across the Grand Canal
> dates from 1591. What's its name?

Rialto
> D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
> Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
> seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?

Halifax

> E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
> Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
> innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
> couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
> fashion shows. Who are we talking about?

Yves Saint-Laurent
> * F. Music: Requiems
>
> F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
> mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
> Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.

Verdi

> F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
> in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
> the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
> his mother. Name the bereaved son.
Schumann

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<sn9ao7$7fh$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3442&group=rec.games.trivia#3442

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:07:51 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:07 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats

> 1. Montera.

E; G

> 2. Shako.

> 3. Stetson.

> 4. Cloche.

> 5. Biretta.

> 6. Chullo.

G; E

> 7. P.

deerstalker

> 8. V.

mortarboard

> 9. O.

boater

> 10. A.

porkpie

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge

> * D. Public Sculpture

> D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
> Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
> seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?

Halifax; Victoria

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<sna65a$lqp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3443&group=rec.games.trivia#3443

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 00:55:38 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 06:55 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
> and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.
>
> 1. Montera.

> 2. Shako.

> 3. Stetson.

> 4. Cloche.

> 5. Biretta.

> 6. Chullo.
>
> Please complete those questions before decoding the rot13 for the
> remaining questions, in which, of course, you are given a letter
> and asked to name the hat.
>
> 7. P.
> 8. V.

Mortar board

> 9. O.

Straw hat

> 10. A.

Porkpie

> Now decode the rot13 below if you want to see which ones were the
> decoys; name them if you like for fun, but for no points. Note:
> Some of these answers were suggested by entrants the last time I
> posted these rounds.
>
> 11. Z.
> 12. U.
> 13. T.
> 14. Y.
>

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Bond... Not Fleming
>
> Ian Fleming died in 1964, but James Bond went on to new adventures,
> penned by a variety of authors.
>
> A1. He wrote "The James Bond Dossier", the first critical study
> of Fleming's series. Three years later, in 1968, he
> published the first non-Fleming Bond novel, "Colonel Sun".
> His pen name for this book was Robert Markham. Who was
> he really? We need both his first and his last name,
> but his title is not necessary.
>
> A2. American Jeffery Deaver, author of many crime novels
> and creator of criminalist Lincoln Rhyme, wrote the """most
> recent""" Bond novel. What's the title?
>

> * B. Venice
>
> B1. This city was administratively unified with Venice about
> 100 years ago, but previously, when Venice proper was
> entirely on islands, this was the nearest mainland city
> to it. Name the place.

Menza

> B2. The oldest """surviving""" bridge across the Grand Canal
> dates from 1591. What's its name?

Rialto

> * C. David Cronenberg in the 21st Century
>
> This Canadian director no longer """writes""" all his own scripts,
> but he's """not done""" scaring us yet.
>
> C1. Ralph Fiennes plays a recovering/relapsing mental patient.
> Patrick McGrath wrote the screenplay based on his own novel.
> The cast also includes Gabriel Byrne and Lynn Redgrave.
> Name the Cronenberg movie from 2002.
>
> C2. The Russian mob in London. Viggo Mortensen plays Nikolai,
> just the driver... or is he? Naomi Watts co-stars. Steven
> Knight wrote the screenplay. Name the 2007 Cronenberg movie.
>

> * D. Public Sculpture
>
> D1. In 1926, sculptor Emmanuel Hahn created the statue of Ned
> Hanlan that """now""" stands at Hanlan's Point on the
> Toronto Islands. But you don't have to go that far to
> see Hahn's work. Two objects you """have""" in your hands
> almost every day were designed by Hahn in 1937. Name either.
>
> D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
> Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
> seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?

Vancouver; Victoria

> * E. Fashion Pioneers
>
> E1. The father of haute couture was an Englishman (born 1825,
> died 1895) who moved to Paris in 1846. He made dresses
> for the Empress Eugénie, Sarah Bernhardt, and Nellie Melba
> among others, and is believed to be the first designer to
> put labels in his clothes. Name him.
>
> E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
> Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
> innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
> couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
> fashion shows. Who are we talking about?
>

> * F. Music: Requiems
>
> F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
> mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
> Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.

Verdi

> F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
> in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
> the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
> his mother. Name the bereaved son.

Brahms

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<sna7i4$jhd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3444&group=rec.games.trivia#3444

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 23:19:31 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 20 Nov 2021 07:19 UTC

On 11/19/21 12:04 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
> and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.
>
> 1. Montera.
> 2. Shako.

> 3. Stetson.

> 4. Cloche.

K; D

> 5. Biretta.

> 6. Chullo.
>
> Please complete those questions before decoding the rot13 for the
> remaining questions, in which, of course, you are given a letter
> and asked to name the hat.
>
> 7. P.

deerstalker

> 8. V.

mortarboard

> 9. O.

boater

> 10. A.

derby

> [...]
> see Hahn's work. Two objects you """have""" in your hands
> almost every day were designed by Hahn in 1937. Name either.
>
> D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
> Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
> seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?
>

> * E. Fashion Pioneers
>
> E1. The father of haute couture was an Englishman (born 1825,
> died 1895) who moved to Paris in 1846. He made dresses
> for the Empress Eugénie, Sarah Bernhardt, and Nellie Melba
> among others, and is believed to be the first designer to
> put labels in his clothes. Name him.
>
> E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
> Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
> innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
> couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
> fashion shows. Who are we talking about?

Yves Saint Laurent

> * F. Music: Requiems
>
> F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
> mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
> Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.
>
> F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
> in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
> the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
> his mother. Name the bereaved son.

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<d2ea83c7-d6e1-4530-b476-ef75b8350df5n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3445&group=rec.games.trivia#3445

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2021 16:12:44 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 21 Nov 2021 00:12 UTC

On Friday, November 19, 2021 at 2:04:54 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats
>
> Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
> and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.
>
> 1. Montera.

A; M

> 2. Shako.

> 3. Stetson.

F; N

> 4. Cloche.

> 5. Biretta.

A; M

> 6. Chullo.

E; M

> Please complete those questions before decoding the rot13 for the
> remaining questions, in which, of course, you are given a letter
> and asked to name the hat.
>
> 7. P.

deerstalker

> 8. V.

mortarboard

> 9. O.

Panama hat

> 10. A.

derby

> Now decode the rot13 below if you want to see which ones were the
> decoys; name them if you like for fun, but for no points. Note:
> Some of these answers were suggested by entrants the last time I
> posted these rounds.
>
> 13. T.

shtriemel

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge
>
> * A. Literature: Bond... Not Fleming
>
> Ian Fleming died in 1964, but James Bond went on to new adventures,
> penned by a variety of authors.
>
> A1. He wrote "The James Bond Dossier", the first critical study
> of Fleming's series. Three years later, in 1968, he
> published the first non-Fleming Bond novel, "Colonel Sun".
> His pen name for this book was Robert Markham. Who was
> he really? We need both his first and his last name,
> but his title is not necessary.

Kingsley Amis
> * B. Venice
>
> B2. The oldest """surviving""" bridge across the Grand Canal
> dates from 1591. What's its name?

Ponte Vecchio

> * C. David Cronenberg in the 21st Century
>
> This Canadian director no longer """writes""" all his own scripts,
> but he's """not done""" scaring us yet.
>
> C2. The Russian mob in London. Viggo Mortensen plays Nikolai,
> just the driver... or is he? Naomi Watts co-stars. Steven
> Knight wrote the screenplay. Name the 2007 Cronenberg movie.

"A History of Violence"

> * E. Fashion Pioneers
>
> E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
> Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
> innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
> couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
> fashion shows. Who are we talking about?

Yves Saint Laurent
> * F. Music: Requiems
>
> F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
> mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
> Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.

Verdi

> F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
> in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
> the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
> his mother. Name the bereaved son.

Brahms

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10: hats, challenge

<h_WdnYbf0OlIrAb8nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3446&group=rec.games.trivia#3446

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 23:59:49 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 05:59 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-18,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 10 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has romped to a win. Hearty
congratulations, sir! Next will be the season's Final game.

> ** Game 10, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - Hats

> Please see the handout <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gXr9/hats.jpg>,
> and for the first 6 questions, give the letter of the hat.

> 1. Montera.

E. 4 for Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Shako.

J. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 3. Stetson.

F. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Joshua.

> 4. Cloche.

K. 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, Pete, and Joshua. 3 for Dan Tilque.

The name is French for "bell". Not knowing this one when it came
up on a Daily Double contributed to the ending of Ken Jennings's
74-game winning streak on "Jeopardy!".

> 5. Biretta.

A. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

> 6. Chullo.

D.

> Please complete those questions before decoding the rot13 for the
> remaining questions, in which, of course, you are given a letter
> and asked to name the hat.

> 7. C.

Deerstalker. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 8. I.

Mortarboard. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Joshua.

> 9. B.

Boater. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 10. N.

Pork pie hat. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

That's Gene Hackman in the picture, from "The French Connection".

> Now decode the rot13 below if you want to see which ones were the
> decoys; name them if you like for fun, but for no points. Note:
> Some of these answers were suggested by entrants the last time I
> posted these rounds.

> 11. M.

Tam-o-shanter.

> 12. H.

Bicycle-racing cap.

> 13. G.

Shtreimel. Joshua got this.

> 14. L.

Gandhi cap.

> ** Game 10, Round 10 - Challenge

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> * A. Literature: Bond... Not Fleming

> Ian Fleming died in 1964, but James Bond went on to new adventures,
> penned by a variety of authors.

> A1. He wrote "The James Bond Dossier", the first critical study
> of Fleming's series. Three years later, in 1968, he
> published the first non-Fleming Bond novel, "Colonel Sun".
> His pen name for this book was Robert Markham. Who was
> he really? We need both his first and his last name,
> but his title is not necessary.

Sir Kingsley Amis. 4 for Joshua.

> A2. American Jeffery Deaver, author of many crime novels
> and creator of criminalist Lincoln Rhyme, wrote the """most
> recent""" Bond novel. What's the title?

2011 answer: "Carte Blanche". 2021 answer: "Forever and a Day"
(by Anthony Horowitz, 2018).

> * B. Venice

> B1. This city was administratively unified with Venice about
> 100 years ago, but previously, when Venice proper was
> entirely on islands, this was the nearest mainland city
> to it. Name the place.

Mestre. 4 for Erland.

> B2. The oldest """surviving""" bridge across the Grand Canal
> dates from 1591. What's its name?

Rialto Bridge. (Still there.) 4 for Erland and Pete.

> * C. David Cronenberg in the 21st Century

> This Canadian director no longer """writes""" all his own scripts,
> but he's """not done""" scaring us yet.

I don't know if he's done, but he is still alive.

> C1. Ralph Fiennes plays a recovering/relapsing mental patient.
> Patrick McGrath wrote the screenplay based on his own novel.
> The cast also includes Gabriel Byrne and Lynn Redgrave.
> Name the Cronenberg movie from 2002.

"Spider".

> C2. The Russian mob in London. Viggo Mortensen plays Nikolai,
> just the driver... or is he? Naomi Watts co-stars. Steven
> Knight wrote the screenplay. Name the 2007 Cronenberg movie.

"Eastern Promises".

> * D. Public Sculpture

> D1. In 1926, sculptor Emmanuel Hahn created the statue of Ned
> Hanlan that """now""" stands at Hanlan's Point on the
> Toronto Islands. But you don't have to go that far to
> see Hahn's work. Two objects you """have""" in your hands
> almost every day were designed by Hahn in 1937. Name either.

Dime, quarter. (All still true, except maybe the "almost every day"
part, since the pandemic has led to increased use of credit cards.)

This refers to the coins' usual designs, with the Bluenose and
the caribou, not the ridiculous number of commemorative alternates
that may show up in your hands these days. In the original game
you had be specific about that, but I'm not requiring it here.
And any mention of a coin scores as "almost correct".

> D2. The "Little Mermaid" in Copenhagen harbor inspired sculptor
> Elek Imredy to create "Girl in a Wetsuit". She """can be
> seen""" perched on a rock in what Canadian city?

Vancouver. (Still true.) 3 for Pete.

Copenhagen: http://denmark.net/wp-content/uploads/1245049240_91ceccf930.jpg
Vancouver: http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/16/38/5b/e8/the-girl.jpg

> * E. Fashion Pioneers

> E1. The father of haute couture was an Englishman (born 1825,
> died 1895) who moved to Paris in 1846. He made dresses
> for the Empress Eugénie, Sarah Bernhardt, and Nellie Melba
> among others, and is believed to be the first designer to
> put labels in his clothes. Name him.

Charles Frederick Worth.

> E2. Born in Algeria in 1936, he became head of the House of
> Dior at age 21. He started his own house in 1961. Among his
> innovations were a line of prêt-à-porter (as well as haute
> couture) and the use of ethnically diverse models in his
> fashion shows. Who are we talking about?

Yves St-Laurent. (He died in 2008.) 4 for Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Joshua.

> * F. Music: Requiems

> F1. Known for his operas, this agnostic set the Latin requiem
> mass to music in honor of Italian novelist Alessandro
> Manzoni, who died in 1873. Name the composer.

Giuseppe Verdi. 4 for Erland, Pete, and Joshua.

> F2. The "German Requiem" (1868) was a setting of Bible texts
> in the composer's own language rather than a setting of
> the Latin mass. It is thought to have been written for
> his mother. Name the bereaved son.

Johannes Brahms. 4 for Pete and Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Geo Sci Aud Can Spo Ent Mis Cha SEVEN
Joshua Kreitzer 28 25 16 20 8 40 26 22 16 177
Dan Blum 16 16 16 20 8 16 12 35 0 131
Pete Gayde 3 29 -- -- -- 40 8 28 15 123
Dan Tilque 4 28 16 8 9 28 4 23 4 116
Erland Sommarskog 0 8 4 0 0 -- -- 4 16 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I tried to hit Bjarne Stroustrup with a snowball,
msb@vex.net | but missed." --Clive Feather

RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10 answers: hats, challenge

<TLqdnWyVcNF3rwb8nZ2dnUU7-RvNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3448&group=rec.games.trivia#3448

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Game 10, Rounds 9-10 answers: hats, challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 00:04:26 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:04 UTC

For the answers, see my previous posting in the thread -- I forgot to
change the Subject line.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Luckily, it's impossible to mispronounce "Canada"
msb@vex.net | even if you try. --Stan Brown