I've got a very bad feeling about this. -- Han Solo

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, history

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, historyDan Blum
`* RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, historyMark Brader
 `- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, historyErland Sommarskog

1
RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<N6ydnXm0ZoAkrwb8nZ2dnUU7-N3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3447&group=rec.games.trivia#3447

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 00:03:37 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 06:03 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of NATO
forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

2. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported $1,000,000.
That should help with the alimony payments. Name the star.

3. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital Commission
and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging haste, the
Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that he has no
plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of which nationally
significant structure?

** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment

* TV Vehicles

Name the TV shows on which these vehicles were featured.
For each one we'll give you the years when the TV show was
originally broadcast.

1. 1983-86, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/1.jpg
2. 1984-89, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/2.jpg
3. 2001-05, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/3.jpg

* Classic Film Posters

Identify the acclaimed classics whose titles have been removed
from these movie posters.

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/5.jpg
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

* Bad Girls

These are actresses under the influence of ego or something
stronger. From the description and picture, name the Bad Girl.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/7.jpg

"""Best known""" for her role in the "American Pie" movies,
this actress has also appeared in "The Big Lebowski" and
"Josie and the Pussycats". Her career has gone off the rails in
"""recent""" years due to a run-in with bad plastic surgery, many
drunken public appearances, and a famous red-carpet "nip-slip".

8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/8.jpg

This actress made her big debut impact in 1935's "Come and Get
It", and was slated to be a big star at Paramount. Due to a
series of run-ins with police and reported erratic behavior,
she was eventually sent to a mental hospital. In her biography
"Will There Really Be a Morning?", she documented various abuses
she was subjected to while institutionalized. She died in 1971.

9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/9.jpg

Apparently hot but not too bright, this model and actress
appeared in the TV series "My Name is Earl" and the "classic"
movies "Tomcats" and "Joe Dirt". She told Howard Stern on his
radio show that he looked like "he got hit with the Jew stick".
She was arrested in 2011 for DUI.

* Trivia Teams

The answers for these movie questions are all names of Canadian
Inquisition teams (though not necessarily with the same spelling).

10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.
11. Portrayed by Oliver Reed.
12. Played (well, some of them) by Jack Nicholson.

* Actors in Character

The men pictured had prominent roles in feature films of the
"""last four years""". In each case, name the actor nearest the
camera (not counting the hands holding the microphones in one shot).

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/15.jpg

** Final, Round 3 - History

* Spain, 1492

1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last
emirate.

2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
Jews of Spain known?

3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
chain* is it located?

* Indonesia

4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
What is that name?

5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
of Indonesia's capital?

6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

* The Hapsburgs

7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
for Louis XVI of France?

8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
you must say which one*.

9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

* Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere

10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
In which country?

12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

* Discoveries

Put the discoveries or feats in each list in chronological order.

13. Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of viruses,
discovery of penicillin.

14. Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Ivan Pavlov
on conditioning dogs, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek on protozoa.

15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "GUALITY IS FIRST"
msb@vex.net | --slogan of "Dongda electron CO.,LTD"

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<snfk9o$fso$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3449&group=rec.games.trivia#3449

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 00:27:34 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 08:27 UTC

On 11/21/21 10:03 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of NATO
> forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?
>
> 2. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported $1,000,000.
> That should help with the alimony payments. Name the star.
>
> 3. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital Commission
> and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging haste, the
> Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that he has no
> plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of which nationally
> significant structure?

Rideau Hall ?

> ** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment
>
> * TV Vehicles
>
> Name the TV shows on which these vehicles were featured.
> For each one we'll give you the years when the TV show was
> originally broadcast.
>
> 1. 1983-86, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/1.jpg
> 2. 1984-89, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/2.jpg
> 3. 2001-05, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/3.jpg
>

> * Classic Film Posters
>
> Identify the acclaimed classics whose titles have been removed
> from these movie posters.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg
> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/5.jpg

Joan of Arc ??

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

Battleship Potemkin

> * Bad Girls
>
> These are actresses under the influence of ego or something
> stronger. From the description and picture, name the Bad Girl.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/7.jpg
>
> """Best known""" for her role in the "American Pie" movies,
> this actress has also appeared in "The Big Lebowski" and
> "Josie and the Pussycats". Her career has gone off the rails in
> """recent""" years due to a run-in with bad plastic surgery, many
> drunken public appearances, and a famous red-carpet "nip-slip".
>
> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/8.jpg
>
> This actress made her big debut impact in 1935's "Come and Get
> It", and was slated to be a big star at Paramount. Due to a
> series of run-ins with police and reported erratic behavior,
> she was eventually sent to a mental hospital. In her biography
> "Will There Really Be a Morning?", she documented various abuses
> she was subjected to while institutionalized. She died in 1971.
>
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/9.jpg
>
> Apparently hot but not too bright, this model and actress
> appeared in the TV series "My Name is Earl" and the "classic"
> movies "Tomcats" and "Joe Dirt". She told Howard Stern on his
> radio show that he looked like "he got hit with the Jew stick".
> She was arrested in 2011 for DUI.
>

> * Trivia Teams
>
> The answers for these movie questions are all names of Canadian
> Inquisition teams (though not necessarily with the same spelling).
>
> 10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.

The Usual Suspects

> 11. Portrayed by Oliver Reed.
> 12. Played (well, some of them) by Jack Nicholson.

Five Guys Named Moe ??

> * Actors in Character
>
> The men pictured had prominent roles in feature films of the
> """last four years""". In each case, name the actor nearest the
> camera (not counting the hands holding the microphones in one shot).
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/15.jpg
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - History
>
> * Spain, 1492
>
> 1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
> as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
> of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last
> emirate.

Granada

> 2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
> convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
> Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
> Jews of Spain known?

Sephardic Jews

> 3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
> on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
> chain* is it located?

Bahamas

> * Indonesia
>
> 4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
> its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
> What is that name?
>
> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

lost the initial letter (D)

> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali

> * The Hapsburgs
>
> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.

Carlos I of Spain

> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

War of the Austrian Succession

> * Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere
>
> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?
>
> 11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
> and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
> He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
> reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
> revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
> In which country?

Cuba; Philippines

> 12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
> an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
> anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

Hungary

> * Discoveries
>
> Put the discoveries or feats in each list in chronological order.
>
> 13. Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of viruses,
> discovery of penicillin.

viruses
penicillin
coelecanth

> 14. Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Ivan Pavlov
> on conditioning dogs, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek on protozoa.

Van Leeuwenhoek
Malthus
Pavlov

> 15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
> space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

far side of Moon
soft landing
space station

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<XnsADEAE4849BCF8Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3450&group=rec.games.trivia#3450

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 22:27:51 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 21:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> ** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg

Ladra di bicicletta

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

Potemkin

> ** Final, Round 3 - History
>
> * Spain, 1492
>
> 1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
> as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
> of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last
> emirate.

Granada

> 2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
> convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
> Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
> Jews of Spain known?

Sephardic
> * Indonesia
>
> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

Djakarta became Jakarta
> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali

> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoniette

> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.

Charles V (or Austria)

> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

War on Austrian Succession
> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

Rurik
> 12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
> an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
> anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

Hungary
> 15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
> space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

Moon photos, soft landing, space station

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<b6d243c0-96ea-4499-86ae-9b72ed90e40cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3451&group=rec.games.trivia#3451

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 15:28:00 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 22 Nov 2021 23:28 UTC

On Monday, November 22, 2021 at 12:03:43 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment
>
> * Classic Film Posters
>
> Identify the acclaimed classics whose titles have been removed
> from these movie posters.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg

"The Bicycle Thief"

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/5.jpg

"The Trial of Joan of Arc"

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

"The Battleship Potemkin"

> * Bad Girls
>
> These are actresses under the influence of ego or something
> stronger. From the description and picture, name the Bad Girl.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/7.jpg
>
> """Best known""" for her role in the "American Pie" movies,
> this actress has also appeared in "The Big Lebowski" and
> "Josie and the Pussycats". Her career has gone off the rails in
> """recent""" years due to a run-in with bad plastic surgery, many
> drunken public appearances, and a famous red-carpet "nip-slip".

Reid

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/8.jpg
>
> This actress made her big debut impact in 1935's "Come and Get
> It", and was slated to be a big star at Paramount. Due to a
> series of run-ins with police and reported erratic behavior,
> she was eventually sent to a mental hospital. In her biography
> "Will There Really Be a Morning?", she documented various abuses
> she was subjected to while institutionalized. She died in 1971.

Farmer

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/9.jpg
>
> Apparently hot but not too bright, this model and actress
> appeared in the TV series "My Name is Earl" and the "classic"
> movies "Tomcats" and "Joe Dirt". She told Howard Stern on his
> radio show that he looked like "he got hit with the Jew stick".
> She was arrested in 2011 for DUI.

Pressly

> * Trivia Teams
>
> The answers for these movie questions are all names of Canadian
> Inquisition teams (though not necessarily with the same spelling).
>
> 10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.

The Usual Suspects

> ** Final, Round 3 - History
>
> * Spain, 1492
>
> 3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
> on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
> chain* is it located?

Bahamas

> * Indonesia
>
> 4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
> its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
> What is that name?

Garuda Indonesia

> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

"Djakarta" changed to "Jakarta"

> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali

> * The Hapsburgs
>
> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor

> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

War of the Austrian Succession

> * Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere
>
> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

Vladimir

> 11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
> and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
> He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
> reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
> revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
> In which country?

Philippines

> 12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
> an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
> anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

Hungary

> * Discoveries
>
> Put the discoveries or feats in each list in chronological order.
>
> 13. Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of viruses,
> discovery of penicillin.

Discovery of viruses, discovery of penicillin, discovery of a living coelecanth

> 14. Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Ivan Pavlov
> on conditioning dogs, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek on protozoa.

Van Leeuwenhoek, Malthus, Pavlov
> 15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
> space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

First photos of the far side of the Moon, first space probe to land softly on another planet, first space station

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<snhl7b$1a5j$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3452&group=rec.games.trivia#3452

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2021 20:55:39 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 02:55 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> [...]
> Inquisition teams (though not necessarily with the same spelling).
>
> 10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.

The Usual Suspects

> 11. Portrayed by Oliver Reed.
> 12. Played (well, some of them) by Jack Nicholson.
>

> * Actors in Character
>
> The men pictured had prominent roles in feature films of the
> """last four years""". In each case, name the actor nearest the
> camera (not counting the hands holding the microphones in one shot).
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/15.jpg
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - History
>
> * Spain, 1492
>
> 1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
> as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
> of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last

Cordoba; Sevilla

> 2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
> convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
> Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
> Jews of Spain known?

Ashkenazi

> 3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
> on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
> chain* is it located?
>

> * Indonesia
>
> 4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
> its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
> What is that name?
>
> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

A 'D' was added to the beginning; A 'D' was removed from the beginning

> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali

> * The Hapsburgs
>
> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?
>
> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.
>
> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler >
>
> * Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere
>
> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

Ivan; Peter

> 11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
> and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
> He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
> reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
> revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
> In which country?

El Salvador; Nicaragua

> 12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
> an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
> anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

Hungary

> * Discoveries
>
> Put the discoveries or feats in each list in chronological order.
>
> 13. Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of viruses,
> discovery of penicillin.

Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of penicillin, discovery of
viruses

> 14. Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Ivan Pavlov
> on conditioning dogs, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek on protozoa.

Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek
on protozoa, Ivan Pavlov on conditioning dogs

> 15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
> space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

first photos of the far side of the Moon, first space station, First
space probe to land softly on another planet

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3: entertainment, history

<snho6a$9o5$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3453&group=rec.games.trivia#3453

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:46:18 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 23 Nov 2021 03:46 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of NATO
> forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

National Security Advisor

> ** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment

> * TV Vehicles

> 1. 1983-86, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/1.jpg

The A-Team

> 2. 1984-89, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/2.jpg

The Rockford Files

> * Classic Film Posters

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg

The Bicycle Thief

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/5.jpg

Joan of Arc

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

Battleship Potemkin

> * Bad Girls

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/8.jpg

Frances Farmer

> * Trivia Teams

> 10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.

The Usual Suspects

> 11. Portrayed by Oliver Reed.

D'Artagnan

> 12. Played (well, some of them) by Jack Nicholson.

Five Easy Pieces

> * Actors in Character

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/13.jpg

Adrien Brody

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/14.jpg

Jeremy Renner

> ** Final, Round 3 - History

> * Spain, 1492

> 1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
> as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
> of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last
> emirate.

Granada

> 2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
> convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
> Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
> Jews of Spain known?

Marranos

> 3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
> on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
> chain* is it located?

Greater Antilles

> * Indonesia

> 4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
> its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
> What is that name?

Garuda

> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

The initial "Dj" was changed to "J."

> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali

> * The Hapsburgs

> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette

> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.

Philip I of Spain

> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

War of the Austrian Succession

> * Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere

> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

Alexander Nevsky

> 11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
> and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
> He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
> reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
> revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
> In which country?

Honduras; Costa Rica

> 12. Just west of the Palais Royale on the waterfront """is"""
> an abstract piece installed in 1966 to commemorate the 10th
> anniversary of this country's failed uprising. What country?

Hungary

> * Discoveries

> 13. Discovery of a living coelecanth, discovery of viruses,
> discovery of penicillin.

viruses, penicillin, coelecanth

> 14. Writings of Thomas Malthus on population growth, Ivan Pavlov
> on conditioning dogs, Anton Van Leeuwenhoek on protozoa.

Leeuwenhoek, Malthus, Pavlov

> 15. First space probe to land softly on another planet, first
> space station, first photos of the far side of the Moon.

photos, probe, space station

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, history

<9vWdnY3ZWt-_vAL8nZ2dnUU7-SHNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3454&group=rec.games.trivia#3454

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, history
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 23:37:38 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 05:37 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2011 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. American General David Petraeus has handed over command of NATO
> forces in Afghanistan. What will be his next job?

Head of the CIA.

> 2. Fresh off a well-publicized break-up, this star's private
> performance at a Ukrainian wedding netted a reported $1,000,000.
> That should help with the alimony payments. Name the star.

Jennifer Lopez.

> 3. Despite repeated pressure from the National Capital Commission
> and a 3-year-old Auditor General's report urging haste, the
> Prime Minister's office confirmed last week that he has no
> plans to speed up the $10,000,000 renovation of which nationally
> significant structure?

24 Sussex Dr.

That's the PM's official residence. Justin Trudeau hasn't been able
to live there in the 6+ years he's been in office, although he did
when his father was PM. And as of 2021 the cost estimate is now up
to $36,600,000.

Rideau Hall is the *GG*'s official residence.

> ** Final, Round 2 - Entertainment

> * TV Vehicles

> Name the TV shows on which these vehicles were featured.
> For each one we'll give you the years when the TV show was
> originally broadcast.

> 1. 1983-86, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/1.jpg

"The A-Team". 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. 1984-89, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/2.jpg

"Miami Vice".

> 3. 2001-05, http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/car/3.jpg

"Six Feet Under".

> * Classic Film Posters

> Identify the acclaimed classics whose titles have been removed
> from these movie posters.

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/4.jpg

"The Bicycle Thieves", "The Bicycle Thief", or "Ladri di Biciclette"
(1948). 4 for Erland, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/5.jpg

"The Passion of Joan of Arc" or "La passion de Jeanne d'Arc" (1928).

No points for "Joan of Arc" alone in either language. The subject
could be guessed from the poster, there have been lots of other
movies about her, and it's not "more than half" of the title.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg

"The Battleship Potemkin" or "Bronenosets Potyomkin" (1925).
4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

For consistency, no points for "Potemkin" alone.

> * Bad Girls

> These are actresses under the influence of ego or something
> stronger. From the description and picture, name the Bad Girl.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/7.jpg

> """Best known""" for her role in the "American Pie" movies,
> this actress has also appeared in "The Big Lebowski" and
> "Josie and the Pussycats". Her career has gone off the rails in
> """recent""" years due to a run-in with bad plastic surgery, many
> drunken public appearances, and a famous red-carpet "nip-slip".

Tara Reid. (I know nothing about her career since 2011, except that
she seems to still be working in Hollywood.) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/8.jpg

> This actress made her big debut impact in 1935's "Come and Get
> It", and was slated to be a big star at Paramount. Due to a
> series of run-ins with police and reported erratic behavior,
> she was eventually sent to a mental hospital. In her biography
> "Will There Really Be a Morning?", she documented various abuses
> she was subjected to while institutionalized. She died in 1971.

Frances Farmer. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/bad/9.jpg

> Apparently hot but not too bright, this model and actress
> appeared in the TV series "My Name is Earl" and the "classic"
> movies "Tomcats" and "Joe Dirt". She told Howard Stern on his
> radio show that he looked like "he got hit with the Jew stick".
> She was arrested in 2011 for DUI.

Jaime Pressley. 4 for Joshua.

> * Trivia Teams

> The answers for these movie questions are all names of Canadian
> Inquisition teams (though not necessarily with the same spelling).

> 10. Rounded up by Claude Rains.

Yes! It's the Usual Suspects. 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, Pete,
and Dan Blum.

> 11. Portrayed by Oliver Reed.

Bill Sikes (Bill Psychs).

> 12. Played (well, some of them) by Jack Nicholson.

Five Easy Pieces. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * Actors in Character

> The men pictured had prominent roles in feature films of the
> """last four years""". In each case, name the actor nearest the
> camera (not counting the hands holding the microphones in one shot).

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/13.jpg

Jay Baruchel (in "The Trotsky" (2009)).

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/14.jpg

Jeremy Renner (in "The Hurt Locker" (2008)). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/act/15.jpg

Michael Sheen (in "Frost/Nixon" (2008)).

> ** Final, Round 3 - History

> * Spain, 1492

> 1. On 1492-01-02, the so-called Reconquest of Spain came to an end
> as Andalusia's last Muslim emirate surrendered to the armies
> of the Catholic monarchs. Name the capital city of the last
> emirate.

Granada. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 2. By the Alhambra decree of March 1492, all Jews were ordered to
> convert to Christianity or leave Spain by July 31 of that year.
> Approximately half chose exile. By what name are the exiled
> Jews of Spain known?

Sephardim. 4 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> 3. Christopher Columbus touched land in the Caribbean on 1492-10-12,
> on an island which he christened San Salvador. In which *island
> chain* is it located?

Bahamas. 4 for Dan Tilque and Joshua.

> * Indonesia

> 4. Indonesia's national airline, founded in 1949, """takes"""
> its name from a winged creature of Hindu and Buddhist myth.
> What is that name?

Garuda. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

Most interesting wrong answer in 2012: "Pope Pius XII".

> 5. In 1972, Indonesia and Malaysia harmonized the spelling of
> their common language; what changed in the spelling of the name
> of Indonesia's capital?

Djakarta became Jakarta. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua,
and Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 6. On 2002-10-12, the """deadliest""" terror attack in the country's
> history claimed over 200 lives on which Indonesian *island*?

Bali. (Thankfully, still true.) 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque,
Erland, Joshua, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> * The Hapsburgs

> 7. Dynastic marriages in the Middle Ages frequently involved
> Hapsburgs married off to cement peace treaties. In 1775 the
> Hapsburg-Lorraine branch of the family provided which bride
> for Louis XVI of France?

Marie Antoinette. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 8. In 1516 this son of Philip I of Castile divided the Hapsburgs
> into two branches, the Spanish and Austrian. As inheritor of
> Castille and Aragon, he became the first King of Spain; and
> he was also Holy Roman Emperor. Give his *name and number*.
> You may answer for either of those two royal positions, *but
> you must say which one*.

King Charles I of Spain, Emperor Charles V. 4 for Dan Tilque,
Erland, and Joshua.

> 9. Upon the death of Charles VI in 1740, the Austrian male line
> of the Hapsburgs became extinct. What was the name given to
> the war that broke out to decide the new ruler?

The War of the Austrian Succession. 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland,
Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> * Monuments in Toronto Commemorating History Elsewhere

> 10. Across the street from the U of T athletic center, you """can"""
> see a statue of the great king of the early Russian state known
> as Kievan Rus, who during the "Golden Age" of the late 10th
> century brought Christianity to his kingdom. What was his name?

St. Vladimir (or Volodymir) the Great. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

> 11. Earl Bales Park """is""" the site for this community's picnics
> and for the statue commemorating their national hero, Jose Rizal.
> He stood up to the Spanish colonialists, calling for peaceful
> reformation up until his execution in 1896, shortly before the
> revolution. His day of execution """is""" a national holiday.
> In which country?

Click here to read the complete article
Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 2-3 answers: entertainment, history

<XnsADEDD620D4420Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3458&group=rec.games.trivia#3458

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:02:58 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:02 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr2/pos/6.jpg
>
> "The Battleship Potemkin" or "Bronenosets Potyomkin" (1925).
> 4 for Dan Tilque, Joshua, and Dan Blum.
>
> For consistency, no points for "Potemkin" alone.

I was only able to think of the Swedish name, and was uncertain how
to translate it to English, so I took a chance by only giving the
name of the boat, but I did not really expect to get any points.

I was still quite amazed of spotting two out three posters - movies
is certainly my best topic.