The amount of weight an evangelist carries with the almighty is measured in billigrahams.

interests / rec.games.trivia / Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: Canadiana, sports/leisure

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisureMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisureJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisureDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisureErland Sommarskog
`- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: Canadiana, sports/leisureMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisure

<QpWdnTIPAsyavwL8nZ2dnUU7-X_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3455&group=rec.games.trivia#3455

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisure
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 23:41:27 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 05:41 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana

* Aboriginal Actors

Look at the image and identify the actor or actress of First
Nations or Métis descent.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/3.jpg

* The Toronto Symphony Orchestra

4. Who was the TSO's music director from 1965 to 1969? Hint:
he inspired two novels published in 1985.

5. In 2007, the TSO premiered a spoof oratorio, co-written by
Eric Idle. "Not the Messiah" was conducted by a Toronto-born
cousin of Idle's. Name him.

6. The TSO's music director from 1975 to 1988 was knighted in 1999.
He is """now""" the TSO's Conductor Laureate. Who is he?
(*Note*: Only the original answer will be accepted.)

* Canadian Firsts

7. Who was the first Jewish leader of a major federal party in
Canada, a post he held from 1971 to 1974?

8. Jeanne Sauvé was the first woman to serve as Governor-General,
from 1984 to 1990. Prior to that, from 1980 to 1984, she had
been the first woman to fill *what national office*?

9. William Hubbard, the son of slaves, was the first black man
to be elected to public office in a major Canadian city,
serving as a city councillor from 1894 to 1908, and acting
mayor in 1906 and 1907. Of *what city*?

* PM Portraits

Identify the Prime Ministers in these portraits from the House
of Commons Heritage Collection.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/10.jpg
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/11.jpg
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/12.jpg

* Canadian Observatories

13. The Algonquin Observatory, located in Algonquin Park since 1959,
"""was""" one of only two observatories in Canada using which
type of telescope?

14. The U of T's Southern Observatory in Chile had a 60 cm
reflecting telescope named for a famous Canadian astronomer.
She was noted for her research into global clusters and wrote
a popular astronomy column for the Toronto Star from 1951
until 1981. Name her.

15. Designed to look at particles from the Sun passing through
the Earth and monitor the resulting changes in these particles,
this northern Ontario facility """is""" known by its acronym SNO.
What does SNO stand for?

** Final, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure

* Defense Nicknames

1. What was the nickname given to the Minnesota Viking defensive
line of the late 1960s and 1970s, featuring Allan Page and
Carl Eller?

2. By what nickname was the Pittsburgh Steeler defensive line of
the '70s, featuring Mean Joe Greene, known?

3. This was the nickname for two generations of the Dallas Cowboys
of the late '60s into the '70s, featuring Bob Lilly, Mel Renfro,
and Ed "Too Tall" Jones. Name it.

* Olympic Track-and-Field Records Set at Beijing

We'll tell you the Olympic record from 2008 and whether it's for
men or women; you tell us the Olympic event. We need the specific
event, and if you only give distance, like "100 m", we'll assume
you're referring to running.

4. Men, 90.57 meters.
5. Women, 29 minutes 54.66 seconds.
6. Men, 19.30 seconds.

* Professional Cycling

7. The Tour de France """is""" one of the three "grand tours"
of cycling. Name either one of the other two, in the applicable
language.

8. In the Tour de France, the cyclist with the lowest overall time
wears a yellow jersey. Describe the jersey of the cyclist
known as "The King of the Mountains".

9. In professional tour races, what is the term given to the largest
mass of riders on the road? It has been borrowed from French.

* Fans Gone Wild

Three questions about overzealous sports fans.

10. In the 2004 Olympics, Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil was leading
in what event before a defrocked Irish priest attacked him?

11. In 1993, James Miller interrupted the Holyfield-Bowe boxing
match at Caesar's Palace. He was subsequently beaten up by
fans and security, and later dubbed the "Fan Man" by the press.
In what manner did he arrive?

12. In Major League Baseball, in 1979, in Chicago's Comiskey Park,
the riot police were called in to deal with a raging bonfire
and rampaging fans. 37 were arrested and the game was forfeited
to the Tigers. And it all started because local DJ Steve Dahl
wanted to explode a pile of what?

* Gardening

In each case, identify the herb. (In the original game, samples
of the herbs were handed out, but you'll have to make do with
pictures here.)

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/15.jpg

--
Mark Brader | "Before I began researching... I thought that confirmation bias
Toronto | was a major problem, and everything I've read since then

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisure

<312f4437-03e6-439a-825e-76a63f5eb2ecn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3456&group=rec.games.trivia#3456

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2021 23:55:46 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 07:55 UTC

On Wednesday, November 24, 2021 at 11:41:33 PM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana
>
> * Aboriginal Actors
>
> Look at the image and identify the actor or actress of First
> Nations or Métis descent.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/1.jpg

Cardinal

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure
>
> * Defense Nicknames
>
> 1. What was the nickname given to the Minnesota Viking defensive
> line of the late 1960s and 1970s, featuring Allan Page and
> Carl Eller?

Purple People Eaters
> * Olympic Track-and-Field Records Set at Beijing
>
> We'll tell you the Olympic record from 2008 and whether it's for
> men or women; you tell us the Olympic event. We need the specific
> event, and if you only give distance, like "100 m", we'll assume
> you're referring to running.
>
> 4. Men, 90.57 meters.

javelin throw

> 5. Women, 29 minutes 54.66 seconds.

10,000 m

> 6. Men, 19.30 seconds.

200 m

> * Professional Cycling
>
> 7. The Tour de France """is""" one of the three "grand tours"
> of cycling. Name either one of the other two, in the applicable
> language.

Giro d'Italia

> 9. In professional tour races, what is the term given to the largest
> mass of riders on the road? It has been borrowed from French.

peloton
> * Fans Gone Wild
>
> Three questions about overzealous sports fans.
>
> 10. In the 2004 Olympics, Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil was leading
> in what event before a defrocked Irish priest attacked him?

marathon
> 11. In 1993, James Miller interrupted the Holyfield-Bowe boxing
> match at Caesar's Palace. He was subsequently beaten up by
> fans and security, and later dubbed the "Fan Man" by the press.
> In what manner did he arrive?

parachute

> 12. In Major League Baseball, in 1979, in Chicago's Comiskey Park,
> the riot police were called in to deal with a raging bonfire
> and rampaging fans. 37 were arrested and the game was forfeited
> to the Tigers. And it all started because local DJ Steve Dahl
> wanted to explode a pile of what?

disco records

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisure

<sno96l$80t$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3457&group=rec.games.trivia#3457

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 15:13:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 15:13 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * PM Portraits

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/10.jpg

King

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/11.jpg

Macdonald

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/12.jpg

Macdonald

> * Canadian Observatories

> 13. The Algonquin Observatory, located in Algonquin Park since 1959,
> """was""" one of only two observatories in Canada using which
> type of telescope?

reflecting; radio

> 15. Designed to look at particles from the Sun passing through
> the Earth and monitor the resulting changes in these particles,
> this northern Ontario facility """is""" known by its acronym SNO.
> What does SNO stand for?

Solar Neutrino Observatory

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure

> * Defense Nicknames

> 1. What was the nickname given to the Minnesota Viking defensive
> line of the late 1960s and 1970s, featuring Allan Page and
> Carl Eller?

Purple People-Eaters

> * Olympic Track-and-Field Records Set at Beijing

> We'll tell you the Olympic record from 2008 and whether it's for
> men or women; you tell us the Olympic event. We need the specific
> event, and if you only give distance, like "100 m", we'll assume
> you're referring to running.

> 4. Men, 90.57 meters.

shot put; discus

> 5. Women, 29 minutes 54.66 seconds.

10,000 m

> 6. Men, 19.30 seconds.

100 m

> * Professional Cycling

> 8. In the Tour de France, the cyclist with the lowest overall time
> wears a yellow jersey. Describe the jersey of the cyclist
> known as "The King of the Mountains".

rainbow jersey

> 9. In professional tour races, what is the term given to the largest
> mass of riders on the road? It has been borrowed from French.

peloton

> * Fans Gone Wild

> 12. In Major League Baseball, in 1979, in Chicago's Comiskey Park,
> the riot police were called in to deal with a raging bonfire
> and rampaging fans. 37 were arrested and the game was forfeited
> to the Tigers. And it all started because local DJ Steve Dahl
> wanted to explode a pile of what?

disco records

> * Gardening

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/13.jpg

basil

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/14.jpg

thyme; dill

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6: Canadiana, sports/leisure

<XnsADEDD6DD65135Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3459&group=rec.games.trivia#3459

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 21:07:19 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:07 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Olympic Track-and-Field Records Set at Beijing
>
> We'll tell you the Olympic record from 2008 and whether it's for
> men or women; you tell us the Olympic event. We need the specific
> event, and if you only give distance, like "100 m", we'll assume
> you're referring to running.
>
> 4. Men, 90.57 meters.

Javelin

> 5. Women, 29 minutes 54.66 seconds.

10 000 m

> 6. Men, 19.30 seconds.

200 m
> * Professional Cycling
>
> 7. The Tour de France """is""" one of the three "grand tours"
> of cycling. Name either one of the other two, in the applicable
> language.

Giro d'Italia, Vuela d'España
> 8. In the Tour de France, the cyclist with the lowest overall time
> wears a yellow jersey. Describe the jersey of the cyclist
> known as "The King of the Mountains".

Red with white dots
> * Fans Gone Wild
>
> Three questions about overzealous sports fans.
>
> 10. In the 2004 Olympics, Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil was leading
> in what event before a defrocked Irish priest attacked him?

Marathon

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: Canadiana, sports/leisure

<jOidnbc5V41DhD78nZ2dnUU7-e_NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3460&group=rec.games.trivia#3460

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 4,6 answers: Canadiana, sports/leisure
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 23:55:42 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 05:55 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 4 - Canadiana

> * Aboriginal Actors

> Look at the image and identify the actor or actress of First
> Nations or Métis descent.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/1.jpg

Tantoo Cardinal. 4 for Joshua.

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/2.jpg

Tom Jackson.

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/abo/3.jpg

Adam Beach.

> * The Toronto Symphony Orchestra

> 4. Who was the TSO's music director from 1965 to 1969? Hint:
> he inspired two novels published in 1985.

Seiji Ozawa. ("Almost Japanese" by Sarah Sheard, "A Certain
Mr. Takahashi" by Ann Ireland.)

> 5. In 2007, the TSO premiered a spoof oratorio, co-written by
> Eric Idle. "Not the Messiah" was conducted by a Toronto-born
> cousin of Idle's. Name him.

Peter Oundjian.

> 6. The TSO's music director from 1975 to 1988 was knighted in 1999.
> He is """now""" the TSO's Conductor Laureate. Who is he?
> (*Note*: Only the original answer will be accepted.)

Sir Andrew Davis.

> * Canadian Firsts

> 7. Who was the first Jewish leader of a major federal party in
> Canada, a post he held from 1971 to 1974?

David Lewis (NDP).

> 8. Jeanne Sauvé was the first woman to serve as Governor-General,
> from 1984 to 1990. Prior to that, from 1980 to 1984, she had
> been the first woman to fill *what national office*?

Speaker of the House of Commons.

> 9. William Hubbard, the son of slaves, was the first black man
> to be elected to public office in a major Canadian city,
> serving as a city councillor from 1894 to 1908, and acting
> mayor in 1906 and 1907. Of *what city*?

Toronto.

> * PM Portraits

> Identify the Prime Ministers in these portraits from the House
> of Commons Heritage Collection.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/10.jpg

Alexander Mackenzie.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/11.jpg

Charles Tupper.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr4/pm/12.jpg

Robert Borden.

> * Canadian Observatories

> 13. The Algonquin Observatory, located in Algonquin Park since 1959,
> """was""" one of only two observatories in Canada using which
> type of telescope?

Radio telescope. (It closed in 1987 and now there is only one.)
2 for Dan.

> 14. The U of T's Southern Observatory in Chile had a 60 cm
> reflecting telescope named for a famous Canadian astronomer.
> She was noted for her research into global clusters and wrote
> a popular astronomy column for the Toronto Star from 1951
> until 1981. Name her.

Helen Hogg.

> 15. Designed to look at particles from the Sun passing through
> the Earth and monitor the resulting changes in these particles,
> this northern Ontario facility """is""" known by its acronym SNO.
> What does SNO stand for?

Sudbury Neutrino Observatory. Answers must include both "Sudbury"
and "Neutrino" for points.

The facility is now SNOLAB; I don't know if the old acronym is still
used as well.

> ** Final, Round 6 - Sports & Leisure

> * Defense Nicknames

> 1. What was the nickname given to the Minnesota Viking defensive
> line of the late 1960s and 1970s, featuring Allan Page and
> Carl Eller?

The Purple People Eaters. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> 2. By what nickname was the Pittsburgh Steeler defensive line of
> the '70s, featuring Mean Joe Greene, known?

The Steel Curtain.

> 3. This was the nickname for two generations of the Dallas Cowboys
> of the late '60s into the '70s, featuring Bob Lilly, Mel Renfro,
> and Ed "Too Tall" Jones. Name it.

The Doomsday Defense.

> * Olympic Track-and-Field Records Set at Beijing

> We'll tell you the Olympic record from 2008 and whether it's for
> men or women; you tell us the Olympic event. We need the specific
> event, and if you only give distance, like "100 m", we'll assume
> you're referring to running.

> 4. Men, 90.57 meters.

Javelin. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 5. Women, 29 minutes 54.66 seconds.

10 km. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan, and Erland.

> 6. Men, 19.30 seconds.

200 m. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> * Professional Cycling

> 7. The Tour de France """is""" one of the three "grand tours"
> of cycling. Name either one of the other two, in the applicable
> language.

La Vuelta a España, Giro d'Italia. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua
and Erland (the hard way).

> 8. In the Tour de France, the cyclist with the lowest overall time
> wears a yellow jersey. Describe the jersey of the cyclist
> known as "The King of the Mountains".

Polka-dot (white with reddish-pink dots). 3 for Erland.

> 9. In professional tour races, what is the term given to the largest
> mass of riders on the road? It has been borrowed from French.

The peloton. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> * Fans Gone Wild

> Three questions about overzealous sports fans.

> 10. In the 2004 Olympics, Vanderlei de Lima of Brazil was leading
> in what event before a defrocked Irish priest attacked him?

Marathon. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 11. In 1993, James Miller interrupted the Holyfield-Bowe boxing
> match at Caesar's Palace. He was subsequently beaten up by
> fans and security, and later dubbed the "Fan Man" by the press.
> In what manner did he arrive?

Flew in on a powered paraglider. I scored parachute as almost
correct. 3 for Joshua.

> 12. In Major League Baseball, in 1979, in Chicago's Comiskey Park,
> the riot police were called in to deal with a raging bonfire
> and rampaging fans. 37 were arrested and the game was forfeited
> to the Tigers. And it all started because local DJ Steve Dahl
> wanted to explode a pile of what?

Disco records. 4 for Joshua and Dan.

> * Gardening

> In each case, identify the herb. (In the original game, samples
> of the herbs were handed out, but you'll have to make do with
> pictures here.)

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/13.jpg

Basil. 4 for Dan.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/14.jpg

Rosemary.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr6/herb/15.jpg

Thyme.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent His Can Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 24 48 4 35 111
Dan Blum 28 36 2 20 86
Erland Sommarskog 4 32 0 23 59
Dan Tilque 8 46 -- -- 54
Pete Gayde 4 14 -- -- 18

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You know you've made it when you have
msb@vex.net | a disease named after you." --Andrew Niccol