By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: science, arts/lit

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/litMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/litJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/litErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/litDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/litDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: science, arts/litMark Brader

1
RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit

<tqadnVm-7st_hz78nZ2dnUU7-YnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3461&group=rec.games.trivia#3461

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 00:00:02 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 06:00 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Misplaced Modifiers, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 7 - Science

* Breakthroughs

1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
use today. What is it?

2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
than atoms. What do we call them?

3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
make photographic film. What do we call it today?

* Single-Malt Scotch

4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
distilling?

5. The grain used to make Scotch is soaked in water for 2-3 days
and then allowed to germinate to produce the necessary enzymes
required to turn the starch into fermentable sugars. What is
this process called?

6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
burning what?

* Ornithology

We'll show you a bird resident year-round in the Toronto area.
You name it, in English. *All answers are two words*, counting
hyphenated words as one.

7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/7.jpg
8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/8.jpg
9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/9.jpg

* Orbits

10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
from the Earth?

11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
given to this type of orbit?

12. In the Sun-Jupiter system, there are two points in Jupiter's
orbit where asteroids can stably remain without being disturbed
by either the Sun or Jupiter. One point is well ahead of Jupiter
on its orbital path, the other is well behind. They are named
for two groups linked in myth, and they make good hiding places
for spaceships in science fiction. What name refers to both
of these points?

* The Romantic Era

13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
When a new planet swims into his ken.

These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

14. He sailed with Captain Cook to the South Seas, won renown
as a botanist, and served as President of the Royal Society for
more than 40 years, presiding over an age of exploration and
scientific discovery. The opium-addicted poet Samuel Coleridge
also found him to be a reliable source of exotic and experimental
drugs, such as Indian hemp and cannabis. Name him.

15. Coleridge also partook with keen interest in this chemist's
early investigations into the bliss-inducing properties of
nitrous oxide. Later, this chemist would discover sodium,
and develop a celebrated safety helmet for miners. He was also
one of the first people to work on iodine. Name the chemist.

** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature

* Margaret Atwood Book Covers

In each case, identify the Margaret Atwood book whose title has
been removed. They are not necessarily Canadian editions.

1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/1.jpg
2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/2.jpg
3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/3.jpg

* Jean-Paul Sartre

4. A character in Sartre's play "No Exit" ("Huis Clos") defines
hell. Complete the aphorism, "Hell is..."

5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
points.

6. The seminal work of existentialism is Sartre's 1943 philosophical
treatise. What is its title?

* Chick Lit

We name the author, as well as the date and stars of a movie that
was based on her book. You name the book -- or the movie, because
in each case, the two titles are the same.

7. The author was Emily Giffin. The 2011 movie starred Kate Hudson,
Ginnifer Goodwin, and John Krasinski.

8. The author was Cecila Ahern. The 2007 movie starred Hilary
Swank and Gerard Butler.

9. The author was Jennifer Wiener. The 2005 movie starred Cameron
Diaz, Toni Collette, and Shirley MacLaine.

* Saints Alive

Given the image, name the Christian saint.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/10.jpg
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/11.jpg
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/12.jpg

* Humorists

Name the literary figure from the description.

13. Grammy-Award-nominated American writer, known for his work on
NPR's "This American Life". His semi-autobiographical works
include "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "When You Are Engulfed
in Flames". His """most recent""" book is "Squirrel Seeks
Chipmunk".

14. This American political satirist, journalist and author
"""is""" a regular contributor to the "Atlantic Monthly" and
the Weekly Standard. His books include "Give War a Chance"
and "Eat the Rich". His """most recent""" work is "Don't Vote:
It Just Encourages the Bastards".

15. Known for her acting career early on, she later became an
author and humorist. Her works include "Surrender the Pink",
"Postcards from the Edge", and her autobiography "Wishful
Drinking".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Some people like my advice so much that they frame it
msb@vex.net | upon the wall instead of using it. --Gordon R. Dickson

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit

<f07a1899-c30a-4f83-ab75-36c1310c6cdan@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3462&group=rec.games.trivia#3462

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2021 22:16:12 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 06:16 UTC

On Sunday, November 28, 2021 at 12:00:08 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Science
>
> * Breakthroughs
>
> 1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
> combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
> corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
> use today. What is it?

oxygen

> 2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
> charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
> than atoms. What do we call them?

electrons

> 3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
> Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
> developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
> manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
> make photographic film. What do we call it today?

cellulose

> * Single-Malt Scotch
>
> 4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
> distilling?

wheat

> 6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
> and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
> burning what?

peat
> * Orbits
>
> 10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
> Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
> from the Earth?

apogee
> 11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
> orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
> Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
> given to this type of orbit?

geostationary

> * The Romantic Era
>
> 13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
> When a new planet swims into his ken.
>
> These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
> Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

Uranus
> 15. Coleridge also partook with keen interest in this chemist's
> early investigations into the bliss-inducing properties of
> nitrous oxide. Later, this chemist would discover sodium,
> and develop a celebrated safety helmet for miners. He was also
> one of the first people to work on iodine. Name the chemist.

Davy

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Margaret Atwood Book Covers
>
> In each case, identify the Margaret Atwood book whose title has
> been removed. They are not necessarily Canadian editions.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/1.jpg

"Oryx & Crake"

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/2.jpg

"Oryx & Crake"

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/3.jpg

"Oryx & Crake"

> * Jean-Paul Sartre
>
> 4. A character in Sartre's play "No Exit" ("Huis Clos") defines
> hell. Complete the aphorism, "Hell is..."

"other people"

> 5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
> points.

Nobel Prize for Literature

> 6. The seminal work of existentialism is Sartre's 1943 philosophical
> treatise. What is its title?

"Being and Nothingness"
> * Humorists
>
> Name the literary figure from the description.
>
> 13. Grammy-Award-nominated American writer, known for his work on
> NPR's "This American Life". His semi-autobiographical works
> include "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "When You Are Engulfed
> in Flames". His """most recent""" book is "Squirrel Seeks
> Chipmunk".

Sedaris
> 14. This American political satirist, journalist and author
> """is""" a regular contributor to the "Atlantic Monthly" and
> the Weekly Standard. His books include "Give War a Chance"
> and "Eat the Rich". His """most recent""" work is "Don't Vote:
> It Just Encourages the Bastards".

O'Rourke

> 15. Known for her acting career early on, she later became an
> author and humorist. Her works include "Surrender the Pink",
> "Postcards from the Edge", and her autobiography "Wishful
> Drinking".

Fisher

---
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit

<XnsADF078673F8D4Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3463&group=rec.games.trivia#3463

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 11:50:09 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 10:50 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Science
>
> * Breakthroughs
>
> 1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
> combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
> corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
> use today. What is it?

Nitrogen
> 2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
> charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
> than atoms. What do we call them?

Electrons
> 3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
> Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
> developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
> manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
> make photographic film. What do we call it today?

Celluloid

> * Single-Malt Scotch
>
> 4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
> distilling?

Wheat
> 6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
> and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
> burning what?

Oak
> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/9.jpg

Pilgrim falk

> * Orbits
>
> 10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
> Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
> from the Earth?

Perigee
> 11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
> orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
> Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
> given to this type of orbit?

Geo-stationary
> * The Romantic Era
>
> 13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
> When a new planet swims into his ken.
>
> These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
> Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

Uranus
> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature
>
> 5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
> points.

Nobel prize in Literature

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit

<so064e$n$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3464&group=rec.games.trivia#3464

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:10:06 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sun, 28 Nov 2021 15:10 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Science

> * Breakthroughs

> 1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
> combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
> corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
> use today. What is it?

oxygen

> 2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
> charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
> than atoms. What do we call them?

electrons

> 3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
> Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
> developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
> manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
> make photographic film. What do we call it today?

celluloid

> * Single-Malt Scotch

> 4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
> distilling?

barley

> 6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
> and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
> burning what?

peat

> * Ornithology

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/7.jpg

red cardinal

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/8.jpg

mourning dove

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/9.jpg

red-tailed hawk

> * Orbits

> 10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
> Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
> from the Earth?

apogee

> 11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
> orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
> Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
> given to this type of orbit?

geosynchronous

> 12. In the Sun-Jupiter system, there are two points in Jupiter's
> orbit where asteroids can stably remain without being disturbed
> by either the Sun or Jupiter. One point is well ahead of Jupiter
> on its orbital path, the other is well behind. They are named
> for two groups linked in myth, and they make good hiding places
> for spaceships in science fiction. What name refers to both
> of these points?

Trojan

> * The Romantic Era

> 13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
> When a new planet swims into his ken.

> These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
> Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

Uranus

> * Jean-Paul Sartre

> 4. A character in Sartre's play "No Exit" ("Huis Clos") defines
> hell. Complete the aphorism, "Hell is..."

other people

> 5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
> points.

Nobel Prize in Literature

> 6. The seminal work of existentialism is Sartre's 1943 philosophical
> treatise. What is its title?

Nausea

> * Saints Alive

> Given the image, name the Christian saint.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/10.jpg

Thomas

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/11.jpg

Christopher

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/12.jpg

Jerome

> * Humorists

> Name the literary figure from the description.

> 13. Grammy-Award-nominated American writer, known for his work on
> NPR's "This American Life". His semi-autobiographical works
> include "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "When You Are Engulfed
> in Flames". His """most recent""" book is "Squirrel Seeks
> Chipmunk".

David Sedaris

> 14. This American political satirist, journalist and author
> """is""" a regular contributor to the "Atlantic Monthly" and
> the Weekly Standard. His books include "Give War a Chance"
> and "Eat the Rich". His """most recent""" work is "Don't Vote:
> It Just Encourages the Bastards".

P. J. O'Rourke

> 15. Known for her acting career early on, she later became an
> author and humorist. Her works include "Surrender the Pink",
> "Postcards from the Edge", and her autobiography "Wishful
> Drinking".

Carrie Fisher

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8: science, arts/lit

<so4ms2$ov4$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3465&group=rec.games.trivia#3465

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 00:20:16 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 30 Nov 2021 08:20 UTC

On 11/27/21 10:00 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 7 - Science
>
> * Breakthroughs
>
> 1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
> combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
> corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
> use today. What is it?

oxygen

> 2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
> charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
> than atoms. What do we call them?

electrons

> 3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
> Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
> developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
> manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
> make photographic film. What do we call it today?

celluloid

> * Single-Malt Scotch
>
> 4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
> distilling?

barley

> 5. The grain used to make Scotch is soaked in water for 2-3 days
> and then allowed to germinate to produce the necessary enzymes
> required to turn the starch into fermentable sugars. What is
> this process called?

malting

> 6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
> and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
> burning what?

oak

> * Ornithology
>
> We'll show you a bird resident year-round in the Toronto area.
> You name it, in English. *All answers are two words*, counting
> hyphenated words as one.
>
> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/7.jpg

Baltimore oriole

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/8.jpg

mourning dove

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/9.jpg
>

> * Orbits
>
> 10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
> Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
> from the Earth?

apogee

> 11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
> orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
> Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
> given to this type of orbit?

geostationary

> 12. In the Sun-Jupiter system, there are two points in Jupiter's
> orbit where asteroids can stably remain without being disturbed
> by either the Sun or Jupiter. One point is well ahead of Jupiter
> on its orbital path, the other is well behind. They are named
> for two groups linked in myth, and they make good hiding places
> for spaceships in science fiction. What name refers to both
> of these points?

Trojan

> * The Romantic Era
>
> 13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
> When a new planet swims into his ken.
>
> These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
> Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

discovery of Uranus

> 14. He sailed with Captain Cook to the South Seas, won renown
> as a botanist, and served as President of the Royal Society for
> more than 40 years, presiding over an age of exploration and
> scientific discovery. The opium-addicted poet Samuel Coleridge
> also found him to be a reliable source of exotic and experimental
> drugs, such as Indian hemp and cannabis. Name him.
>
> 15. Coleridge also partook with keen interest in this chemist's
> early investigations into the bliss-inducing properties of
> nitrous oxide. Later, this chemist would discover sodium,
> and develop a celebrated safety helmet for miners. He was also
> one of the first people to work on iodine. Name the chemist.

Sir Humphry Davy

(abominated gravy.
He lived with the odium
of having discovered sodium.)

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Margaret Atwood Book Covers
>
> In each case, identify the Margaret Atwood book whose title has
> been removed. They are not necessarily Canadian editions.
>
> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/1.jpg

The Handmaid's Tale

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/2.jpg
> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/3.jpg
>

> * Jean-Paul Sartre
>
> 4. A character in Sartre's play "No Exit" ("Huis Clos") defines
> hell. Complete the aphorism, "Hell is..."

other people

> 5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
> points.
>
> 6. The seminal work of existentialism is Sartre's 1943 philosophical
> treatise. What is its title?

Being and Nothingness

> * Chick Lit
>
> We name the author, as well as the date and stars of a movie that
> was based on her book. You name the book -- or the movie, because
> in each case, the two titles are the same.
>
> 7. The author was Emily Giffin. The 2011 movie starred Kate Hudson,
> Ginnifer Goodwin, and John Krasinski.
>
> 8. The author was Cecila Ahern. The 2007 movie starred Hilary
> Swank and Gerard Butler.
>
> 9. The author was Jennifer Wiener. The 2005 movie starred Cameron
> Diaz, Toni Collette, and Shirley MacLaine.
>

> * Saints Alive
>
> Given the image, name the Christian saint.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/10.jpg

St Francis of Assisi

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/11.jpg

St Patrick

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/12.jpg

St Jerome

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: science, arts/lit

<e_WdnTlTGLDW3Tr8nZ2dnUU7-WfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3466&group=rec.games.trivia#3466

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIMM11 Final, Rounds 7-8 answers: science, arts/lit
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2021 03:28:43 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Wed, 1 Dec 2021 09:28 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2011-07-25,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 7 - Science

> * Breakthroughs

> 1. It had been called "dephlogisticated air" and its effect on
> combustion was well known. However, in 1778, Antoine Lavoisier
> corrected some important details and gave it the name we still
> use today. What is it?

Oxygen. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. In 1897, J.J. Thomson called them "corpuscles" -- negatively
> charged particles emitted by cathode-ray tubes and smaller
> than atoms. What do we call them?

Electrons. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. It was called "xylonite" by earlier experimenters. But John
> Wesley Hyatt and his brother Isaiah made a few changes and
> developed a material that they used to replace ivory in the
> manufacture of billiard balls. A little later, it was used to
> make photographic film. What do we call it today?

Celluloid. (Not cellulose, a natural substance.) 4 for Erland,
Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

This is why it's "was" used for film:

http://tf-cmsv2-smithsonianmag-media.s3.amazonaws.com/filer/ce/19/ce190b18-5d2c-4a29-b86e-948a907f212f/vault_fire.jpg

> * Single-Malt Scotch

> 4. In a single-malt scotch, what is the only grain used for
> distilling?

Barley. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 5. The grain used to make Scotch is soaked in water for 2-3 days
> and then allowed to germinate to produce the necessary enzymes
> required to turn the starch into fermentable sugars. What is
> this process called?

Malting. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. In most cases smoke is introduced to the kiln to add aroma
> and flavor to the whisky. Generally the smoke is produced by
> burning what?

Peat. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> * Ornithology

> We'll show you a bird resident year-round in the Toronto area.
> You name it, in English. *All answers are two words*, counting
> hyphenated words as one.

> 7. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/7.jpg

Cedar waxwing.

> 8. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/8.jpg

Mourning dove. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr7/bird/9.jpg

Red-tailed hawk. 4 for Dan Blum.

> * Orbits

> 10. What is the name of the highest point in the orbit of an
> Earth-orbiting satellite: that is, the point where it is farthest
> from the Earth?

Apogee. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 11. An Earth-orbiting satellite that takes exactly one day to
> orbit the Earth, and appears to never move as seen from the
> Earth, is extremely useful for communications. What name is
> given to this type of orbit?

Geosynchronous or, more specifically, geostationary or Clarke orbit.
4 for everyone.

A geosynchronous orbit in general is any one with a period equal
to one sidereal day. If it isn't geostationary, then the satellite
appears to traverse a path in the sky that exactly repeats every day.

> 12. In the Sun-Jupiter system, there are two points in Jupiter's
> orbit where asteroids can stably remain without being disturbed
> by either the Sun or Jupiter. One point is well ahead of Jupiter
> on its orbital path, the other is well behind. They are named
> for two groups linked in myth, and they make good hiding places
> for spaceships in science fiction. What name refers to both
> of these points?

Trojan points or Greek points. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

There are five Lagrange points altogether, but only two meet the
description, namely the Trojan points, called L4 and L5. Asteroids
orbiting in these two areas of Jupiter's orbit are conventionally
given names relating to the Trojan war, Greeks at L4 and Trojans
at L5 (thus safely separated by 840,000,000 miles); the term "Trojan
point" is in turn derived from this naming convention.

Lagrange points L1, L2, and L3 all fall along a line drawn through
Jupiter and the Sun. L3 is exactly halfway around Jupiter's orbit,
and the other two, if I calculate correctly, are about 32,000,000
miles from Jupiter in each direction. All three are unstable: a
spacecraft could remain at one in the long term as long as it could
expend small amounts of fuel for stationkeeping from time to time
as needed, but an asteroid or any inert body would eventually be
perturbed away.

Other systems with a body in more or less circular orbit, such as
Earth-Moon and Sun-Earth, each have their own set of 5 Lagrange
points L1 through L5, with the same properties.

> * The Romantic Era

> 13. Then felt I like some watcher of the skies
> When a new planet swims into his ken.

> These lines from John Keats's 1816 poem "On First Looking into
> Chapman's Homer" allude to which 18th-century astronomical find?

Uranus. 4 for everyone.

> 14. He sailed with Captain Cook to the South Seas, won renown
> as a botanist, and served as President of the Royal Society for
> more than 40 years, presiding over an age of exploration and
> scientific discovery. The opium-addicted poet Samuel Coleridge
> also found him to be a reliable source of exotic and experimental
> drugs, such as Indian hemp and cannabis. Name him.

Sir Joseph Banks.

> 15. Coleridge also partook with keen interest in this chemist's
> early investigations into the bliss-inducing properties of
> nitrous oxide. Later, this chemist would discover sodium,
> and develop a celebrated safety helmet for miners. He was also
> one of the first people to work on iodine. Name the chemist.

Sir Humphry Davy. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> ** Final, Round 8 - Arts & Literature

> * Margaret Atwood Book Covers

> In each case, identify the Margaret Atwood book whose title has
> been removed. They are not necessarily Canadian editions.

> 1. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/1.jpg

"The Blind Assassin".

> 2. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/2.jpg

"Surfacing".

> 3. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/3.jpg

"The Edible Woman".

One entrant in 2012 guessed "The Handmaid's Tale" for two of the
questions on the grounds that it was the only other Margaret Atwood
novel he could think of. On a whim I decided to google up a book
cover for that one, and was surprised at how many *different* covers
I found. Just for fun, here they are (as found in 2012):

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/tale.jpg

And in 2021, one entrant guessed "Oryx & Crake" for all three questions,
so I did the same thing again:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/atw/oryx.jpg

Some of these are not actual book covers but are for audiobooks or
ebooks. On each search I also found some covers with the same art
but other variations (differently placed lettering, for example).

> * Jean-Paul Sartre

> 4. A character in Sartre's play "No Exit" ("Huis Clos") defines
> hell. Complete the aphorism, "Hell is..."

Other people. (Or "les autres".) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What honor did Sartre decline in 1964? Be specific for full
> points.

Nobel Prize for Literature. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 6. The seminal work of existentialism is Sartre's 1943 philosophical
> treatise. What is its title?

"Being and Nothingness" ("L'Être et le Néant"). 4 for Joshua
and Dan Tilque.

> * Chick Lit

> We name the author, as well as the date and stars of a movie that
> was based on her book. You name the book -- or the movie, because
> in each case, the two titles are the same.

> 7. The author was Emily Giffin. The 2011 movie starred Kate Hudson,
> Ginnifer Goodwin, and John Krasinski.

"Something Borrowed".

> 8. The author was Cecila Ahern. The 2007 movie starred Hilary
> Swank and Gerard Butler.

"P.S. I Love You".

> 9. The author was Jennifer Wiener. The 2005 movie starred Cameron
> Diaz, Toni Collette, and Shirley MacLaine.

"In Her Shoes".

> * Saints Alive

> Given the image, name the Christian saint.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/10.jpg

St. Francis (of Assisi). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/11.jpg

St. James (Santiago).

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/gfr8/st/12.jpg

St. Mark.

> * Humorists

> Name the literary figure from the description.

> 13. Grammy-Award-nominated American writer, known for his work on
> NPR's "This American Life". His semi-autobiographical works
> include "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "When You Are Engulfed
> in Flames". His """most recent""" book is "Squirrel Seeks
> Chipmunk".

Click here to read the complete article