Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: food origins, L&O casts
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 18:11:02 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Sat, 11 Dec 2021 00:11 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Food and Drink Origins

> 1. According to the book "The History of Science and Technology",
> the origin of what snack can be traced to the shape of folded
> arms of children in prayer?

Pretzels. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. The "French Paradox" is the observation that the French suffer
> a relatively low incidence of heart disease, despite having a
> diet rich in saturated fats such as butter. When a description
> of it aired on "60 Minutes" in 1991, the consumption of what
> item increased by 44%?

Red wine. "Red" was required. 4 for Pete, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 3. What Chinese dipping sauce that is common in Cantonese cuisine
> derives its name from a word meaning seafood, although it
> contains none?

Hoisin sauce. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 4. The term "holy trinity of cuisine" refers specifically to the
> celery, bell peppers, and onions that form the heart of which
> cuisine?

Cajun or Creole. 4 for Joshua.

> 5. Which dish consisting of pureed or finely chopped olives,
> capers, and olive oil is a popular food in the south of France,
> where it is generally eaten as an hors d'oeuvre?

Tapenade. Not to he confused with tamponade, which is a medical
condition. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Blum.

> 6. The name of which wine, called "Hermitage" in Australia till the
> 1980s, comes from a city in Iran where the process of winemaking
> originated 7,000 years ago?

Shiraz or syrah. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Which hazelnut liqueur comes in a bottle with a knotted white
> cord around its waist that is meant to mimic the religious
> garments of a friar?

Frangelico. 4 for Pete, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> 8. The name of which spice (also known as Jamaica pepper) was coined
> by people who thought that it combined the flavour of cinnamon,
> nutmeg, and cloves?

Allspice. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Because it is lethally poisonous if not done right, which
> Japanese dish prepared from the meat of pufferfish is the only
> delicacy officially forbidden to the Emperor of Japan, for his
> own safety?

Fugu. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Named for a French diplomat, what are confections made from
> nuts and sugar syrup called?

Pralines. 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 1, Round 6 - Entertainment - Law & Order Actors

In the original game, this was the easiest round in the entire season.

#7. 4 for Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

#10. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#4. 2 for Dan Blum.

#9. 4 for Joshua.

#13. 4 for Joshua. 3 for Dan Blum.

#2.

#5. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#1. 4 for Pete, Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

#6. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

#8. 4 for Dan Blum.

#16. Joshua got this.

#17. Joshua got this.

#18.

#3. Joshua got this.

#14.

#12. Joshua got this.

#15. Joshua got this.

#11.

NCIS fans may recognize her as the recurring character CGIS agent
Abby Borin.

> 19. There have been """two""" more related shows whose titles
> also start(ed) with "Law & Order", but which were *not* used
> in the round. Name them.

"Law & Order: Trial by Jury" (which ran only one season, 2005-06),
"Law & Order: UK" (which ran 5 years on British TV, 2009-14, and
consisted of episodes of the original series remade with a London
setting); and now "Law & Order: Organized Crime" (which started
in 2021). I would also have accepted the a non-fiction mini-series
"Law & Order True Crime", which ran in 2017.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Mis Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 36 27 135
Dan Blum 39 11 32 29 111
Pete Gayde 40 28 20 12 100
Dan Tilque 40 16 20 12 88
Erland Sommarskog 40 0 8 0 48

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Yes, you're very smart. Shut up."
msb@vex.net --The Princess Bride

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 4,6 answers: food origins, L&O casts