Just because you like my stuff doesn't mean I owe you anything. -- Bob Dylan

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallengePete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: US pres., CanChallengeMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge

<qoWdnYNDEfT6pSX8nZ2dnUU7-dXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3496&group=rec.games.trivia#3496

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <SqqdnadgvIGgtiX8nZ2dnUU7-VHNnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 00:23:35 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 06:23 UTC

(Reposted because I forgot to start a new thread the first time.
Answers in either thread will be accepted.)

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-23,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - History - US Presidential Trivia

All questions refer to US presidents.

Several questions ask you to name a president. If any of the
answers have the same surname as another president, you must
make it clear which one you mean.

1. Who """has been""" the only president to serve two
non-consecutive terms?

2. Who """is""" the oldest person to be elected president?

3. Who was the first president born outside the area that is now
the contiguous United States?

4. Who """has been""" the only person unanimously elected president
by the Electoral College?

5. Before the 12th Amendment was passed in 1804, how was the
vice-president determined?

6. Which president signed the treaty to purchase Alaska from Russia?

7. Who was the first president to appoint an African-American to
the Supreme Court?

8. Who was the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

9. Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about
which president?

10. By what name is the commission established to investigate John
F. Kennedy's assassination known?

** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

* A. Canadian Geography

A1. Canada's 15 highest mountains are all located in what
*specific* mountain range? The answer """is""" also the
name of the second-highest peak in that range.

A2. In what year was the """most recent""" territory in Canada
formed?

* B. Canadian History

B1. Who led the Métis in the rebellions at the Red River in
1870 and in the Northwest in 1885?

B2. What political post """is""" Bonar Law the only Canadian
to have held?

* C. Canadian 2010 Olympic Gold Medalists

C1. Name either member of the Canadian ice dance team that took
gold in Vancouver.

C2. In what sport did Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse
take gold?

* D. Canadian Actors in America

D1. This native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was the host
of two of the longest-running shows in broadcast history:
"House Party", which ran for 25 years on CBC TV and radio,
and "People are Funny", which ran on NBC for 19 years.
Name him.

D2. This Canadian actress was the former host of the Canadian
children's TV series "Popular Mechanics for Kids", before
she began her Hollywood career at 17. There she landed
the role of the daughter of CTU agent Jack Bauer in the
TV series "24", and then went on to star in the 2003 film
"The Girl Next Door". Name her.

* E. Canadian Franchise Opportunities

E1. """For a minimum investment of $650,000, you could own"""
a location of this proven and successful Canadian favorite
restaurant chain specializing in gastronomic breakfasts and
healthy lunches. Open since 1987, this franchise """now"""
has locations on Blue Jays Way and Carlton St. Name it.

E2. """For a minimum investment of $300,000 you could get"""
the growth of a start-up, backed by the world's most
successful bakery network, Bakers Delight. The company's
success can be attributed to the quality of its product
and warm and friendly customer service. There """is"""
a location in the Annex and one in the Beaches. Name it.

* F. Canadian Currency

F1. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
denomination would you have found the American robins?

F2. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
denomination would you have found the belted kingfisher?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is what customers do: they invent everything
msb@vex.net | you haven't thought of." -- David Slocombe

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge

<spatju$d1n$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3498&group=rec.games.trivia#3498

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 12:08:28 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:08 UTC

On 12/13/21 10:23 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - US Presidential Trivia
>
> All questions refer to US presidents.
>
> Several questions ask you to name a president. If any of the
> answers have the same surname as another president, you must
> make it clear which one you mean.
>
> 1. Who """has been""" the only president to serve two
> non-consecutive terms?

Grover Cleveland

> 2. Who """is""" the oldest person to be elected president?

Joe Biden

> 3. Who was the first president born outside the area that is now
> the contiguous United States?

Obama

> 4. Who """has been""" the only person unanimously elected president
> by the Electoral College?

Washington

> 5. Before the 12th Amendment was passed in 1804, how was the
> vice-president determined?

runner up in the Electoral College vote

> 6. Which president signed the treaty to purchase Alaska from Russia?

Andrew Johnson

> 7. Who was the first president to appoint an African-American to
> the Supreme Court?

Nixon

> 8. Who was the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

T Roosevelt

> 9. Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about
> which president?
>
> 10. By what name is the commission established to investigate John
> F. Kennedy's assassination known?

Warren Commission

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round
>
> * A. Canadian Geography
>
> A1. Canada's 15 highest mountains are all located in what
> *specific* mountain range? The answer """is""" also the
> name of the second-highest peak in that range.

Wrangle Range

> A2. In what year was the """most recent""" territory in Canada
> formed?

1998

> * B. Canadian History
>
> B1. Who led the Métis in the rebellions at the Red River in
> 1870 and in the Northwest in 1885?
>
> B2. What political post """is""" Bonar Law the only Canadian
> to have held?
>

> * C. Canadian 2010 Olympic Gold Medalists
>
> C1. Name either member of the Canadian ice dance team that took
> gold in Vancouver.
>
> C2. In what sport did Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse
> take gold?
>

> * D. Canadian Actors in America
>
> D1. This native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was the host
> of two of the longest-running shows in broadcast history:
> "House Party", which ran for 25 years on CBC TV and radio,
> and "People are Funny", which ran on NBC for 19 years.
> Name him.
>
> D2. This Canadian actress was the former host of the Canadian
> children's TV series "Popular Mechanics for Kids", before
> she began her Hollywood career at 17. There she landed
> the role of the daughter of CTU agent Jack Bauer in the
> TV series "24", and then went on to star in the 2003 film
> "The Girl Next Door". Name her.
>

> * E. Canadian Franchise Opportunities
>
> E1. """For a minimum investment of $650,000, you could own"""
> a location of this proven and successful Canadian favorite
> restaurant chain specializing in gastronomic breakfasts and
> healthy lunches. Open since 1987, this franchise """now"""
> has locations on Blue Jays Way and Carlton St. Name it.
>
> E2. """For a minimum investment of $300,000 you could get"""
> the growth of a start-up, backed by the world's most
> successful bakery network, Bakers Delight. The company's
> success can be attributed to the quality of its product
> and warm and friendly customer service. There """is"""
> a location in the Annex and one in the Beaches. Name it.
>

> * F. Canadian Currency
>
> F1. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the American robins?
>
> F2. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the belted kingfisher?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge

<spb2n0$c4t$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3499&group=rec.games.trivia#3499

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:35:28 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 14 Dec 2021 21:35 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - US Presidential Trivia

> 1. Who """has been""" the only president to serve two
> non-consecutive terms?

Cleveland

> 2. Who """is""" the oldest person to be elected president?

Biden

> 3. Who was the first president born outside the area that is now
> the contiguous United States?

Obama

> 4. Who """has been""" the only person unanimously elected president
> by the Electoral College?

Washington

> 5. Before the 12th Amendment was passed in 1804, how was the
> vice-president determined?

person with the second-most electoral votes

> 6. Which president signed the treaty to purchase Alaska from Russia?

Lincoln; Andrew Johnson

> 7. Who was the first president to appoint an African-American to
> the Supreme Court?

Lyndon Johnson

> 8. Who was the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt

> 9. Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about
> which president?

Lincoln

> 10. By what name is the commission established to investigate John
> F. Kennedy's assassination known?

Warren Commission

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

> * A. Canadian Geography

> A2. In what year was the """most recent""" territory in Canada
> formed?

2014; 2010

> * B. Canadian History

> B1. Who led the M?tis in the rebellions at the Red River in
> 1870 and in the Northwest in 1885?

Louis Riel

> * D. Canadian Actors in America

> D1. This native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was the host
> of two of the longest-running shows in broadcast history:
> "House Party", which ran for 25 years on CBC TV and radio,
> and "People are Funny", which ran on NBC for 19 years.
> Name him.

Art Linkletter

> * F. Canadian Currency

> F1. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the American robins?

$5; $10

> F2. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the belted kingfisher?

$10; $20

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: US pres., CanChallenge

<spbj8t$gah$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3500&group=rec.games.trivia#3500

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 20:18:06 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:18 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> (Reposted because I forgot to start a new thread the first time.
> Answers in either thread will be accepted.)
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - US Presidential Trivia
>
> All questions refer to US presidents.
>
> Several questions ask you to name a president. If any of the
> answers have the same surname as another president, you must
> make it clear which one you mean.
>
> 1. Who """has been""" the only president to serve two
> non-consecutive terms?

Cleveland

> 2. Who """is""" the oldest person to be elected president?

Reagan

> 3. Who was the first president born outside the area that is now
> the contiguous United States?

Washington

> 4. Who """has been""" the only person unanimously elected president
> by the Electoral College?

Washington

> 5. Before the 12th Amendment was passed in 1804, how was the
> vice-president determined?

Voted on by the Senate

> 6. Which president signed the treaty to purchase Alaska from Russia?

Andrew Johnson

> 7. Who was the first president to appoint an African-American to
> the Supreme Court?

Eisenhower

> 8. Who was the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Obama

> 9. Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about
> which president?

Kennedy

> 10. By what name is the commission established to investigate John
> F. Kennedy's assassination known?

Warren

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round
>
> * A. Canadian Geography
>
> A1. Canada's 15 highest mountains are all located in what
> *specific* mountain range? The answer """is""" also the
> name of the second-highest peak in that range.

Athabascan

> A2. In what year was the """most recent""" territory in Canada
> formed?
>

> * B. Canadian History
>
> B1. Who led the Métis in the rebellions at the Red River in
> 1870 and in the Northwest in 1885?
>
> B2. What political post """is""" Bonar Law the only Canadian
> to have held?
>

> * C. Canadian 2010 Olympic Gold Medalists
>
> C1. Name either member of the Canadian ice dance team that took
> gold in Vancouver.

Virtue

> C2. In what sport did Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse
> take gold?
>

> * D. Canadian Actors in America
>
> D1. This native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was the host
> of two of the longest-running shows in broadcast history:
> "House Party", which ran for 25 years on CBC TV and radio,
> and "People are Funny", which ran on NBC for 19 years.
> Name him.
>
> D2. This Canadian actress was the former host of the Canadian
> children's TV series "Popular Mechanics for Kids", before
> she began her Hollywood career at 17. There she landed
> the role of the daughter of CTU agent Jack Bauer in the
> TV series "24", and then went on to star in the 2003 film
> "The Girl Next Door". Name her.
>

> * E. Canadian Franchise Opportunities
>
> E1. """For a minimum investment of $650,000, you could own"""
> a location of this proven and successful Canadian favorite
> restaurant chain specializing in gastronomic breakfasts and
> healthy lunches. Open since 1987, this franchise """now"""
> has locations on Blue Jays Way and Carlton St. Name it.
>
> E2. """For a minimum investment of $300,000 you could get"""
> the growth of a start-up, backed by the world's most
> successful bakery network, Bakers Delight. The company's
> success can be attributed to the quality of its product
> and warm and friendly customer service. There """is"""
> a location in the Annex and one in the Beaches. Name it.
>

> * F. Canadian Currency
>
> F1. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the American robins?
>
> F2. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the belted kingfisher?

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: US pres., CanChallenge

<bNmdnWwjA-jCsyH8nZ2dnUU7-XnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3501&group=rec.games.trivia#3501

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 1, Rounds 9-10 answers: US pres., CanChallenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 00:29:51 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 06:29 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-23,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and the winner by all of 11 points is
JOSHUA KREITZER. Congratulations, eh?

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - History - US Presidential Trivia

> All questions refer to US presidents.

> Several questions ask you to name a president. If any of the
> answers have the same surname as another president, you must
> make it clear which one you mean.

> 1. Who """has been""" the only president to serve two
> non-consecutive terms?

Grover Cleveland. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 2. Who """is""" the oldest person to be elected president?

2012 answer: Ronald Reagan (age 69 on election day, 73 when
reelected). 2021 answer: Joe Biden (77 on election day).
4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. Who was the first president born outside the area that is now
> the contiguous United States?

Barack Obama. (Hawaii.) 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque,
and Dan Blum.

In 2012 Stan Brown noted:
>> The smear campaigns of contemporary "birthers" are not a new
>> phenomenon. After posting my answer, I... found that Chester
>> A. Arthur was inaccurately accused of being Canadian!

And I responded:
> Yeah, I knew about that... US politics in the late 19th century
> may well have had even worse excesses of partisanship than we've
> been seeing in recent election cycles. Compare the total screw-up
> of the 1876 election to the one in 2000, for example.

However, I rather think that that remark of mine is now out of date!

I also noted:

> Of course, Arthut's citizenship might not have mattered if Alexander
> Graham Bell had known about mattresses with metal springs.

> 4. Who """has been""" the only person unanimously elected president
> by the Electoral College?

George Washington. (Still true.) 4 for everyone.

> 5. Before the 12th Amendment was passed in 1804, how was the
> vice-president determined?

The presidential candidate receiving the second-most electoral votes.
4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 6. Which president signed the treaty to purchase Alaska from Russia?

Andrew Johnson. (Both names or an indication thereof required.)
4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 7. Who was the first president to appoint an African-American to
> the Supreme Court?

Lyndon Johnson. (Both names or an indication thereof required.)
4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. Who was the first president to win the Nobel Peace Prize?

Theodore Roosevelt (1906, for brokering an end to the Russo-Japanese
War; both names or an indication thereof required). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 9. Walt Whitman's poem "Oh Captain, My Captain" was written about
> which president?

Abraham Lincoln. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. By what name is the commission established to investigate John
> F. Kennedy's assassination known?

The Warren Commission. 4 for everyone.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Canadiana Challenge Round

> * A. Canadian Geography

> A1. Canada's 15 highest mountains are all located in what
> *specific* mountain range? The answer """is""" also the
> name of the second-highest peak in that range.

St. Elias Mtns. (part of the Coast Ranges, not the Rockies; still
true).

> A2. In what year was the """most recent""" territory in Canada
> formed?

1999. (Nunavut. Still true.) 4 for Erland.

> * B. Canadian History

> B1. Who led the Métis in the rebellions at the Red River in
> 1870 and in the Northwest in 1885?

Louis Riel. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

He was elected to Parliament in 1873, exiled in 1875, executed for
treason in 1885, and recognized as a Father of Confederation in 1992.

> B2. What political post """is""" Bonar Law the only Canadian
> to have held?

Prime Minister of the UK. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua.

He was born in New Brunswick when it was still a British colony, and
moved with his family to Britain shortly after Canada was unified as
a dominion, but that's sufficient to reasonably count him as Canadian.
In actual citizenship terms, he was never anything but a British
subject; British citizenship was not distinguished from Canadian
until much later, and from the (remaining) colonies still later.

> * C. Canadian 2010 Olympic Gold Medalists

> C1. Name either member of the Canadian ice dance team that took
> gold in Vancouver.

Tessa Virtue, Scott Moir. 4 for Pete.

> C2. In what sport did Kaillie Humphries and Heather Moyse
> take gold?

Bobsled.

> * D. Canadian Actors in America

> D1. This native of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, was the host
> of two of the longest-running shows in broadcast history:
> "House Party", which ran for 25 years on CBC TV and radio,
> and "People are Funny", which ran on NBC for 19 years.
> Name him.

Art Linkletter. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> D2. This Canadian actress was the former host of the Canadian
> children's TV series "Popular Mechanics for Kids", before
> she began her Hollywood career at 17. There she landed
> the role of the daughter of CTU agent Jack Bauer in the
> TV series "24", and then went on to star in the 2003 film
> "The Girl Next Door". Name her.

Elisha Cuthbert. 4 for Joshua.

> * E. Canadian Franchise Opportunities

In both cases, the chain is still around but I have not tried to
check on the other details indicated.

> E1. """For a minimum investment of $650,000, you could own"""
> a location of this proven and successful Canadian favorite
> restaurant chain specializing in gastronomic breakfasts and
> healthy lunches. Open since 1987, this franchise """now"""
> has locations on Blue Jays Way and Carlton St. Name it.

Cora.

> E2. """For a minimum investment of $300,000 you could get"""
> the growth of a start-up, backed by the world's most
> successful bakery network, Bakers Delight. The company's
> success can be attributed to the quality of its product
> and warm and friendly customer service. There """is"""
> a location in the Annex and one in the Beaches. Name it.

Cobs Bread.

> * F. Canadian Currency

> F1. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the American robins?

$2 (with the Queen on the front).

> F2. In the 1986 Birds of Canada series of bills, on what
> denomination would you have found the belted kingfisher?

$5 (with Sir Wilfrid Laurier on the front).

Production of $2 bills ended when the $2 coin was introduced in 1996.
Production of the remaining Birds of Canada bills ended in 2004-06
when the Canadian Journey bills appeared.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Mis Ent Lit Sci His Can SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 36 27 26 14 40 16 201
Dan Blum 39 11 32 29 28 24 38 8 190
Dan Tilque 40 16 20 12 28 12 32 0 148
Pete Gayde 40 28 20 12 4 0 20 4 124
Erland Sommarskog 40 0 8 0 -- -- 20 4 72

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Don't let it drive you crazy...
msb@vex.net | Leave the driving to us!" --Wayne & Shuster