Failure is more frequently from want of energy than want of capital.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: US college towns, mystery sport

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sportPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: US college towns, mystery sportMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<-6GdnbmE6PR-syH8nZ2dnUU7-QPNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3502&group=rec.games.trivia#3502

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 00:32:03 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 06:32 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. Where did the World Economic Forum take place this week?
(No, the country is not sufficient.)

2. US Navy Seals rescued aid workers in which country?

* Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns

We have all heard of the following American universities and may
know their general location, but we want the specific town where
the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.

1. Yale.
2. Harvard.
3. Michigan.
4. Ohio State.
5. Wayne State University.
6. Florida State.
7. Purdue.
8. Brigham Young.
9. Brown.
10. Duke.

* Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>

The subject of this round is the answer to the first question.

1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
for question #2 *ONLY*.

2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

Now, *after* you have finished with questions #1-2, please decode
the rot13 for the questions #3-10.

3. Gur sbezng bs gur Nzrevpn'f Phc vf n zngpu enpr. Jung *vf*
n zngpu enpr?

4. Jung vf gur Ybhvf Ihvggba Phc lnpugvat pbzcrgvgvba?

5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".

6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
enpvat grnz?

7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
Anzr gur pbhagel.

9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Volts are like proof." --Steve Summit
msb@vex.net | "Trains are like libraries." --Michael Enright

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<cdcbeef2-6dfa-4177-a6a4-782dbc000dd9n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3503&group=rec.games.trivia#3503

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2021 22:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 06:40 UTC

On Friday, December 17, 2021 at 12:32:09 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns
>
> We have all heard of the following American universities and may
> know their general location, but we want the specific town where
> the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
> we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.
>
> 1. Yale.

New Haven

> 2. Harvard.

Cambridge

> 3. Michigan.

Ann Arbor

> 4. Ohio State.

Columbus

> 5. Wayne State University.

Detroit

> 6. Florida State.

Tallahassee

> 7. Purdue.

West Lafayette
> 8. Brigham Young.

Provo

> 9. Brown.

Providence

> 10. Duke.

Durham

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>
>
> The subject of this round is the answer to the first question.
>
> 1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
> master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
> there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

America's Cup
(as it is now known; not sure if that was the original name)
> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> for question #2 *ONLY*.
>
> 2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

yacht clubs

> Now, *after* you have finished with questions #1-2, please decode
> the rot13 for the questions #3-10.
>
> 3. Gur sbezng bs gur Nzrevpn'f Phc vf n zngpu enpr. Jung *vf*
> n zngpu enpr?

a competition where a group of challengers compete to be the one that faces the defending champion

> 5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
> be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".

Barcelona; Marseille

> 6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
> Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
> enpvat grnz?

San Diego

> 7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
> N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

Australia

> 8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
> gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
> Anzr gur pbhagel.

New Zealand

> 9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
> 1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
> gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

46

> 10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
> unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
> gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

Switzerland

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<spik00$avg$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3504&group=rec.games.trivia#3504

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 10:13:16 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 18:13 UTC

On 12/16/21 10:32 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Where did the World Economic Forum take place this week?
> (No, the country is not sufficient.)
>
> 2. US Navy Seals rescued aid workers in which country?
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns
>
> We have all heard of the following American universities and may
> know their general location, but we want the specific town where
> the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
> we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.
>
> 1. Yale.

New Haven CT

> 2. Harvard.

Cambridge MA

> 3. Michigan.

Ann Arbor MI

> 4. Ohio State.

Columbus OH

> 5. Wayne State University.

Fort Wayne IN

> 6. Florida State.

Gainsville FL

> 7. Purdue.

West Lafayette IN

> 8. Brigham Young.

Provo UT

> 9. Brown.

Providence RI

> 10. Duke.

Raleigh NC ?

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>
>
> The subject of this round is the answer to the first question.
>
> 1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
> master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
> there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

Henley Regata

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> for question #2 *ONLY*.
>
> 2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

yacht club

> Now, *after* you have finished with questions #1-2, please decode
> the rot13 for the questions #3-10.
>
> 3. Gur sbezng bs gur Nzrevpn'f Phc vf n zngpu enpr. Jung *vf*
> n zngpu enpr?

multiple races, each counting one point

> 4. Jung vf gur Ybhvf Ihvggba Phc lnpugvat pbzcrgvgvba?

race around the world

> 5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
> be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".
>
> 6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
> Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
> enpvat grnz?

San Francisco

> 7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
> N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

New Zealand

> 8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
> gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
> Anzr gur pbhagel.
>
> 9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
> 1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
> gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

42; 56

> 10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
> unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
> gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

Switzerland

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<XnsAE03E1B78FD85Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3505&group=rec.games.trivia#3505

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:11:19 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Fri, 17 Dec 2021 21:11 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Where did the World Economic Forum take place this week?
> (No, the country is not sufficient.)

Davos, Switzerland
> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns
>
> We have all heard of the following American universities and may
> know their general location, but we want the specific town where
> the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
> we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.
>
> 1. Yale.

Boston

> 2. Harvard.

Boston

> 3. Michigan.

Chicago

> 4. Ohio State.

Cleveland

> 6. Florida State.

Miami

> 10. Duke.

New York

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>
>
> 2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

Country
> 3. Gur sbezng bs gur Nzrevpn'f Phc vf n zngpu enpr. Jung *vf*
> n zngpu enpr?

Two boats sails against each other.
> 5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
> be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".

Valencia
> 6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
> Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
> enpvat grnz?

Newport
> 7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
> N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

New Zealand
> 8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
> gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
> Anzr gur pbhagel.

New Zealand
> 9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
> 1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
> gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

42
> 10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
> unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
> gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

Switzerland

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<spktgu$o8e$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3506&group=rec.games.trivia#3506

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:08:14 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Sat, 18 Dec 2021 15:08 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns

> 1. Yale.

New Haven

> 2. Harvard.

Cambridge

> 3. Michigan.

Ann Arbor

> 4. Ohio State.

Columbus

> 5. Wayne State University.

Detroit

> 6. Florida State.

Tallahassee

> 7. Purdue.

Indianapolis

> 8. Brigham Young.

Salt Lake City

> 9. Brown.

Providence

> 10. Duke.

Durham

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>

> 1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
> master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
> there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

Ascot

> 2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

sponsors

> 5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
> be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".

Marseilles; Valletta

> 6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
> Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
> enpvat grnz?

San Francisco

> 7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
> N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

Australia

> 8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
> gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
> Anzr gur pbhagel.

Australia

> 9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
> 1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
> gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

37

> 10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
> unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
> gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

Switzerland

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3: US college towns, mystery sport

<spp6g1$22m$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3507&group=rec.games.trivia#3507

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 00:05:53 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 06:05 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)
>
> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. Where did the World Economic Forum take place this week?
> (No, the country is not sufficient.)
>
> 2. US Navy Seals rescued aid workers in which country?
>

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns
>
> We have all heard of the following American universities and may
> know their general location, but we want the specific town where
> the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
> we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.
>
> 1. Yale.

New Haven

> 2. Harvard.

Cambridge

> 3. Michigan.

Ann Arbor

> 4. Ohio State.

Columbus

> 5. Wayne State University.

Detroit

> 6. Florida State.

Tallahassee

> 7. Purdue.

West Lafayette

> 8. Brigham Young.

Provo

> 9. Brown.

Providence

> 10. Duke.

Durham

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>
>
> The subject of this round is the answer to the first question.
>
> 1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
> master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
> there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

Wimbledon

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> for question #2 *ONLY*.
>
> 2. Pbagraqref sbe gur Nzrevpn'f Phc ercerfrag gurve... jung?

Country

> Now, *after* you have finished with questions #1-2, please decode
> the rot13 for the questions #3-10.
>
> 3. Gur sbezng bs gur Nzrevpn'f Phc vf n zngpu enpr. Jung *vf*
> n zngpu enpr?

Race head-to-head a pre-determined number of times with the overall
winner determined by most races won.

> 4. Jung vf gur Ybhvf Ihvggba Phc lnpugvat pbzcrgvgvba?

Determines the contender to challenge the current Cup holder

> 5. Anzr rvgure gur lrne bs gur """zbfg erprag""" Nzrevpn'f Phc,
> be gur ubfg pvgl, """juvpu vf n cbeg ba gur Zrqvgreenarna""".

Barcelona

> 6. Jung Nzrevpna pvgl """jvyy or""" gur ubfg sbe gur 2013 Nzrevpn'f
> Phc, pbhegrfl bs n jva ng gur 2010 Phc ol gur OZJ Benpyr
> enpvat grnz?

San Francisco

> 7. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho uryq gur Nzrevpn'f Phc sebz 1857 gb 1983.
> N pyho sebz jung pbhagel svanyyl orng gurz?

New Zealand

> 8. Va gur lrne 2000 n lnpug pyho sebz guvf pbhagel orpnzr gur svefg
> gb zbhag n fhpprffshy Nzrevpn'f Phc qrsrafr bhgfvqr bs gur HFN.
> Anzr gur pbhagel.

New Zealand; Australia

> 9. Gur Arj Lbex Lnpug Pyho qrsraqrq gur Phc sbe gur svefg gvzr va
> 1870. Jvguva 10% bs gur pbeerpg ahzore, ubj znal gvzrf """unf"""
> gur Nzrevpn'f Phc orra pbagrfgrq?

45

> 10. Anzr gur bayl pbhagel gung unf ab znevgvzr pbnfgyvar ohg qbrf
> unir n lnpug pyho gung unf jba gur Nzrevpn'f Phc. Va snpg,
> gurl unir jba vg gjvpr.

Switzerland

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: US college towns, mystery sport

<pNydnbIu5fL_sF38nZ2dnUU7-d3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3508&group=rec.games.trivia#3508

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 2-3 answers: US college towns, mystery sport
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 01:14:42 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:14 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 1 - Current Events (excerpt)

> Answer these 2012 questions if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. Where did the World Economic Forum take place this week?
> (No, the country is not sufficient.)

Davos (Switzerland). Erland got this.

> 2. US Navy Seals rescued aid workers in which country?

Somalia.

They had been captured by pirates 3 months earlier and were still
being held hostage. See:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/us-forces-rescue-kidnapped-aid-workers-jessica-buchanan-and-poul-hagen-thisted-in-somalia/2012/01/25/gIQA7WopPQ_story.html

> * Game 2, Round 2 - Geography - US University and College Towns

> We have all heard of the following American universities and may
> know their general location, but we want the specific town where
> the main campus of the given school is located. For example, if
> we said "University of Notre Dame", the answer would be South Bend.

> 1. Yale.

New Haven CT. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 2. Harvard.

Cambridge MA. (Across the river from Boston, but you were asked for
the specific place.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. Michigan.

Ann Arbor MI. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 4. Ohio State.

Columbus OH. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. Wayne State University.

Detroit MI. (The city is in Wayne County, but I don't know what's
named after what.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 6. Florida State.

Tallahassee FL. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. Purdue.

West Lafayette IN. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Brigham Young.

Provo UT. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Brown.

Providence RI. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. Duke.

Durham NC. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * Game 2, Round 3 - Sports - <answer 1>

> The subject of this round is the answer to the first question.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. In 1851, Queen Victoria posed a series of questions to her signal
> master. The answer to her final question was "Ah, your Majesty,
> there is no second". What sporting event was she asking about?

The yacht race later known as the America's Cup. 4 for Joshua.

> After you have finished with question #1, please decode the rot13
> for question #2 *ONLY*.

> 2. Contenders for the America's Cup represent their... what?

Yacht clubs (not countries, and "teams" was too non-specific).
4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> Now, *after* you have finished with questions #1-2, please decode
> the rot13 for the questions #3-10.

> 3. The format of the America's Cup is a match race. What *is*
> a match race?

One with only two competitors. 4 for Erland.

> 4. What is the Louis Vuitton Cup yachting competition?

2012 answer: It is the selection series that determines which one of
multiple international challengers will challenge the last winner
for the America's Cup. (The name was changed in 2017 and 2021,
so I should have put """ marks around "is".) 4 for Pete.

> 5. Name either the year of the """most recent""" America's Cup,
> or the host city, """which is a port on the Mediterranean""".

2012 answer: 2010 (and if you didn't get it, look at question 6
again!); Valencia, Spain. 2021 answer: 2021; Auckland, New Zealand.
4 for Erland.

> 6. What American city """will be""" the host for the 2013 America's
> Cup, courtesy of a win at the 2010 Cup by the BMW Oracle
> racing team?

2012 answer: San Francisco (Golden Gate Yacht Club). 2021 answer:
None. The date and venue for the next challenge have not yet
been set. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. The New York Yacht Club held the America's Cup from 1857 to 1983.
> A club from what country finally beat them?

Australia (Royal Perth YC). 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. In the year 2000 a yacht club from this country became the first
> to mount a successful America's Cup defense outside of the USA.
> Name the country.

New Zealand (Royal New Zealand Yacht Squadron). 4 for Joshua
and Erland. 3 for Pete.

> 9. The New York Yacht Club defended the Cup for the first time in
> 1870. Within 10% of the correct number, how many times """has"""
> the America's Cup been contested?

2012 answer: 33. 2021 answer: 36. Accepting 30-39. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 10. Name the only country that has no maritime coastline but does
> have a yacht club that has won the America's Cup. In fact,
> they have won it twice.

Switzerland. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Tilque, Erland, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo
Joshua Kreitzer 40 20 60
Pete Gayde 40 15 55
Dan Blum 32 16 48
Dan Tilque 28 12 40
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "*Nature*, Mr. Allnutt, is what we are put in this
msb@vex.net | world *to rise above*." -- The African Queen