"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -- William E. Davidsen

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrasesMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrasesJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrasesDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrasesDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrasesPete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: serial killers, TV catchphrasesMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<7sCdnT5uwJmts138nZ2dnUU7-KXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3509&group=rec.games.trivia#3509

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 01:18:08 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:18 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers

We are doing our best to provide you with an interesting game,
but perhaps not necessarily a pleasant one!

1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
retain her youth. Name her.

2. This Frenchman, who lived from 1404 to 1440, was a Breton
knight, a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms
of Joan of Arc. But he is perhaps best known as a prolific
serial killer of children. Name him.

3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
'90s?

4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
letters describing the details of the killings to police and
to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
murders took place.

5. John Christie was a notorious English serial killer active in
the 1940s and '50s. He murdered at least 8 females by strangling
them in his flat in Notting Hill, London. Name the 1971 *movie*,
starring Richard Attenborough, that told his story.

6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
her story.

7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?

8. FBI agents had noticed a significant number of murder victims
being dumped alongside Interstate highways. These murders
mostly involved women leading high-risk transient lifestyles,
and were difficult to solve. As a result, in 2009 the FBI
launched the HSK initiative. What do the letters HSK stand for?

9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.

10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?

* Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases

Each catchphrase is associated with a specific TV character or
real-life personality. Name that person. In some cases the first
name or nickname will be accepted for fictional characters, and
you may also, alternatively, name the real-life person playing them.

1. "Would you believe...?"
2. "Sufferin' succotash!"
3. "The tribe has spoken."
4. "No soup for you!"
5. "Dyn-o-mite!"
6. "God'll get you for that."
7. "Respect my authori-ta!"
8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"
9. "Good night, and good luck."
10. "I know nothing!"

--
Mark Brader | "I think it's safe to say that no person can hope to
Toronto | achieve basic life competence without consulting my

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<0c42da68-6d5f-412b-b520-1d31066e4fd2n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3510&group=rec.games.trivia#3510

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 23:38:04 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 07:38 UTC

On Monday, December 20, 2021 at 1:18:14 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers
>
> 1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
> of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
> accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
> retain her youth. Name her.

Elizabeth Bathory
> 3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
> the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
> '90s?

Green River Killer

> 4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
> people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
> letters describing the details of the killings to police and
> to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
> murders took place.

BTK

> 6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
> Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
> Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
> her story.

"Monster"
> 7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
> useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
> murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?

DNA

> 9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
> or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.

Dahmer
> 10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?

David Berkowitz

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases
>
> Each catchphrase is associated with a specific TV character or
> real-life personality. Name that person. In some cases the first
> name or nickname will be accepted for fictional characters, and
> you may also, alternatively, name the real-life person playing them.
>
> 1. "Would you believe...?"

Maxwell Smart; Don Adams

> 2. "Sufferin' succotash!"

Sylvester

> 3. "The tribe has spoken."

Jeff Probst

> 4. "No soup for you!"

the Soup Nazi

> 5. "Dyn-o-mite!"

J.J. Evans; Jimmie Walker
> 6. "God'll get you for that."

Maude; Bea Arthur
> 7. "Respect my authori-ta!"

Eric Cartman
> 8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

Hannibal Smith; George Peppard

> 9. "Good night, and good luck."

Edward Murrow

> 10. "I know nothing!"

Sgt. Schultz

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<spqtfr$6en$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3511&group=rec.games.trivia#3511

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 13:44:25 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 21:44 UTC

On 12/19/21 11:18 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers
>
> We are doing our best to provide you with an interesting game,
> but perhaps not necessarily a pleasant one!
>
> 1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
> of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
> accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
> retain her youth. Name her.

Bathory

> 2. This Frenchman, who lived from 1404 to 1440, was a Breton
> knight, a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms
> of Joan of Arc. But he is perhaps best known as a prolific
> serial killer of children. Name him.
>
> 3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
> the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
> '90s?

Green River Killer

> 4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
> people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
> letters describing the details of the killings to police and
> to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
> murders took place.
>
> 5. John Christie was a notorious English serial killer active in
> the 1940s and '50s. He murdered at least 8 females by strangling
> them in his flat in Notting Hill, London. Name the 1971 *movie*,
> starring Richard Attenborough, that told his story.
>
> 6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
> Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
> Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
> her story.
>
> 7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
> useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
> murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?
>
> 8. FBI agents had noticed a significant number of murder victims
> being dumped alongside Interstate highways. These murders
> mostly involved women leading high-risk transient lifestyles,
> and were difficult to solve. As a result, in 2009 the FBI
> launched the HSK initiative. What do the letters HSK stand for?

Highway Serial Killers

(somehow I doubt it's that obvious, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong)

> 9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
> or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.
>
> 10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?
>

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases
>
> Each catchphrase is associated with a specific TV character or
> real-life personality. Name that person. In some cases the first
> name or nickname will be accepted for fictional characters, and
> you may also, alternatively, name the real-life person playing them.
>
> 1. "Would you believe...?"

Maxwell Smart

> 2. "Sufferin' succotash!"

Sylvester

> 3. "The tribe has spoken."
> 4. "No soup for you!"

Soup Nazi

> 5. "Dyn-o-mite!"
> 6. "God'll get you for that."
> 7. "Respect my authori-ta!"
> 8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"
> 9. "Good night, and good luck."
> 10. "I know nothing!"

Sergeant Schultz

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<spr1nu$5sk$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3512&group=rec.games.trivia#3512

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:57:02 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 20 Dec 2021 22:57 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers

> 1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
> of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
> accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
> retain her youth. Name her.

Elizabeth Bathory

> 2. This Frenchman, who lived from 1404 to 1440, was a Breton
> knight, a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms
> of Joan of Arc. But he is perhaps best known as a prolific
> serial killer of children. Name him.

Gilles des Rais

> 3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
> the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
> '90s?

Green River Killer

> 4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
> people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
> letters describing the details of the killings to police and
> to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
> murders took place.

BTK

> 6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
> Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
> Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
> her story.

Monster

> 7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
> useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
> murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?

DNA

> 9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
> or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.

Jeffrey Dahmer

> 10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?

David Berkowitz

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases

> 2. "Sufferin' succotash!"

Sylvester the Cat

> 4. "No soup for you!"

Soup Nazi

> 7. "Respect my authori-ta!"

Cartman

> 8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

George Peppard

> 9. "Good night, and good luck."

Edward Murrow

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<sprt2c$1mrq$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3513&group=rec.games.trivia#3513

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 00:43:25 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Tue, 21 Dec 2021 06:43 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers
>
> We are doing our best to provide you with an interesting game,
> but perhaps not necessarily a pleasant one!
>
> 1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
> of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
> accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
> retain her youth. Name her.
>
> 2. This Frenchman, who lived from 1404 to 1440, was a Breton
> knight, a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms
> of Joan of Arc. But he is perhaps best known as a prolific
> serial killer of children. Name him.
>
> 3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
> the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
> '90s?
>
> 4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
> people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
> letters describing the details of the killings to police and
> to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
> murders took place.

BTK Killer

> 5. John Christie was a notorious English serial killer active in
> the 1940s and '50s. He murdered at least 8 females by strangling
> them in his flat in Notting Hill, London. Name the 1971 *movie*,
> starring Richard Attenborough, that told his story.
>
> 6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
> Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
> Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
> her story.
>
> 7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
> useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
> murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?
>
> 8. FBI agents had noticed a significant number of murder victims
> being dumped alongside Interstate highways. These murders
> mostly involved women leading high-risk transient lifestyles,
> and were difficult to solve. As a result, in 2009 the FBI
> launched the HSK initiative. What do the letters HSK stand for?
>
> 9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
> or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.

Dahmer

> 10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?

Berkowitz

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases
>
> Each catchphrase is associated with a specific TV character or
> real-life personality. Name that person. In some cases the first
> name or nickname will be accepted for fictional characters, and
> you may also, alternatively, name the real-life person playing them.
>
> 1. "Would you believe...?"

Maxwell Smart

> 2. "Sufferin' succotash!"

Sylvester

> 3. "The tribe has spoken."

Ryan Seacrest

> 4. "No soup for you!"

Soup Nazi

> 5. "Dyn-o-mite!"

Jimmy Walker

> 6. "God'll get you for that."

Maude

> 7. "Respect my authori-ta!"

Eric Cartman

> 8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

McGiver

> 9. "Good night, and good luck."

Edward R. Murrow

> 10. "I know nothing!"

Sgt. Schultz

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: serial killers, TV catchphrases

<Qqadnc3h54uL3ln8nZ2dnUU7-K3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3514&group=rec.games.trivia#3514

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 4,6 answers: serial killers, TV catchphrases
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 03:36:22 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:36 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Miscellaneous - Serial Killers

> We are doing our best to provide you with an interesting game,
> but perhaps not necessarily a pleasant one!

> 1. This Hungarian countess is purported to have killed hundreds
> of victim between 1590 and 1610. Later writings led to legendary
> accounts of her bathing in the blood of virgins in order to
> retain her youth. Name her.

Elizabeth Bathory. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 2. This Frenchman, who lived from 1404 to 1440, was a Breton
> knight, a leader in the French army, and a companion-in-arms
> of Joan of Arc. But he is perhaps best known as a prolific
> serial killer of children. Name him.

Gilles de Rais. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. What *nickname* was given to Gary Ridgway, who was convicted of
> the murders of 49 women in the Seattle area during the 1980s and
> '90s?

The Green River Killer. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 4. What *nickname* was given to Dennis Rader, who murdered 10
> people in and around Wichita between 1974 and 1991? He sent
> letters describing the details of the killings to police and
> to local news outlets during the period of time in which the
> murders took place.

BTK Killer. ("Bind, Torture, Kill.") 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum,
and Pete.

> 5. John Christie was a notorious English serial killer active in
> the 1940s and '50s. He murdered at least 8 females by strangling
> them in his flat in Notting Hill, London. Name the 1971 *movie*,
> starring Richard Attenborough, that told his story.

"10 Rillington Place".

> 6. Women serial killers are pretty rare. One of them was Aileen
> Wuornos, who murdered 7 men in Florida in 1989 and 1990.
> Name the 2003 *movie*, starring Charlize Theron, that told
> her story.

"Monster". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 7. CODIS is a database funded by the United States FBI. It is
> useful in the identification of suspects in crimes such as serial
> murders. What *type of information* is stored in the database?

DNA. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. FBI agents had noticed a significant number of murder victims
> being dumped alongside Interstate highways. These murders
> mostly involved women leading high-risk transient lifestyles,
> and were difficult to solve. As a result, in 2009 the FBI
> launched the HSK initiative. What do the letters HSK stand for?

Highway Serial Killer. Yes, it was that obvious. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Which serial killer was known as either the Milwaukee Monster
> or the Milwaukee Cannibal? Name him or her.

Jeffrey Dahmer. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. What was the real name of the Son of Sam?

David Berkowitz. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Entertainment - TV Catchphrases

> Each catchphrase is associated with a specific TV character or
> real-life personality. Name that person. In some cases the first
> name or nickname will be accepted for fictional characters, and
> you may also, alternatively, name the real-life person playing them.

> 1. "Would you believe...?"

Don Adams as Maxwell Smart, agent 86 ("Get Smart"). 4 for Joshua
(the hard way), Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. "Sufferin' succotash!"

Sylvester the cat ("Looney Tunes" cartoons). 4 for everyone --
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 3. "The tribe has spoken."

Jeff Probst ("Survivor"). 4 for Joshua.

> 4. "No soup for you!"

Larry Thomas as Yev Kassem the Soup Nazi ("Seinfeld"). "Soup Nazi"
was sufficient. 4 for everyone.

Today, there is a chain of soup places in the US and Canada called
the Soup Nutsy. (Still true.)

> 5. "Dyn-o-mite!"

Jimmy Walker as J.J. Evans ("Good Times"). "J.J." was sufficient.
4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Pete.

> 6. "God'll get you for that."

Bea Arthur as Maude Findlay ("Maude"). "Maude" was sufficient.
4 for Joshua (the hard way) and Pete.

> 7. "Respect my authori-ta!"

Eric Cartman ("South Park"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 8. "I love it when a plan comes together!"

George Peppard as Hannibal ("The A-Team"). 4 for Joshua (the hard
way) and Dan Blum.

> 9. "Good night, and good luck."

Edward R. Murrow ("See it Now"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 10. "I know nothing!"

John Banner as Sgt. Schultz ("Hogan's Heroes"). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Mis Ent
Joshua Kreitzer 40 20 28 40 128
Dan Blum 32 16 32 20 100
Pete Gayde 40 15 12 32 99
Dan Tilque 28 12 12 16 68
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "There are no new ideas, only new
msb@vex.net mouths to speak them." -- Linda Burman