Facts are the enemy of truth. -- Don Quixote

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherErland Sommarskog
+- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 schedule adjustmentMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherPete Gayde
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weatherDan Tilque
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: CanArt, weatherMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<F7CdnXhR1Z4Y3ln8nZ2dnUU7-SXNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3515&group=rec.games.trivia#3515

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 03:38:13 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 09:38 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Arts - Canadian Artists

Please see: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/02-07/art.pdf>.
We give you the name of a well-known Canadian artist, and you
give us the number corresponding to one of their works.

1. Tom Thomson.
2. Lawren Harris.
3. Norval Morrisseau.
4. Alex Colville.
5. Jean Paul Riopelle.
6. Ken Danby.
7. Emily Carr.
8. Arthur Lismer.
9. Kathleen Munn.
10. Frederick Verner.

Here are the other 8 artists in alphabetical order. Decode the
rot13 if you want to name them for fun, but for no points.

11. Eboreg Ongrzna.
12. Orawnzva Purr Purr.
13. N.L. Wnpxfba.
14. Wnpdhrf Fpuretraf.
15. Wnpx Funqobyg.
16. Serqn Crzoregba Fzvgu.
17. Serqrevpx Ineyrl.
18. Ubzre Jngfba.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather

1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
intensity?

2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
North America relatively cool?

3. What kind of storm is a haboob?

4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

5. Meteorologists call these winds föhn winds, from the German.
Argentinians call them zonda winds, and South Africans,
bergwinds. What name is given to this type of wind in certain
parts of Canada where they occur?

6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
connect places of equal air pressure?

7. Name the 1992 hurricane that hit southern Florida, causing
$26,500,000,000 US of damage, a record at the time.

8. This weather event has been called the greatest natural disaster
in Canadian history. Insurance claims topped $800,000,000 and
the monthly national GDP dropped by almost 1% in January of
the year of the event. Name this weather disaster (for full
points include the year, within 1).

9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.

10. What common name is given to lightning that occurs so far away
from the observer that no thunder can be heard? It is sometimes
confused with "dry lightning" because often it's not raining
at the observer's location.

--
Mark Brader, "It is impossible. Solution follows..."
Toronto, msb@vex.net -- Richard Heathfield

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<sq1tnh$rst$1@reader1.panix.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3516&group=rec.games.trivia#3516

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 13:31:30 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 13:31 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather

> 1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
> intensity?

Fujita

> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

Humboldt

> 3. What kind of storm is a haboob?

sandstorm

> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii

> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

isobars

> 7. Name the 1992 hurricane that hit southern Florida, causing
> $26,500,000,000 US of damage, a record at the time.

Andrew

> 8. This weather event has been called the greatest natural disaster
> in Canadian history. Insurance claims topped $800,000,000 and
> the monthly national GDP dropped by almost 1% in January of
> the year of the event. Name this weather disaster (for full
> points include the year, within 1).

Blizzard of 1977

> 9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
> It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
> electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
> near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
> weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
> lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.

St. Elmo's Fire

> 10. What common name is given to lightning that occurs so far away
> from the observer that no thunder can be heard? It is sometimes
> confused with "dry lightning" because often it's not raining
> at the observer's location.

heat lightning

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<XnsAE09D01D8DF13Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3517&group=rec.games.trivia#3517

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 20:27:30 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather
>
> 1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
> intensity?

Beaufort (well, at least it's wind scale.)
> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

Labrador
> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii
> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

Isobar

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 schedule adjustment

<45ydnReVt4Mdm1j8nZ2dnUU7-QnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3518&group=rec.games.trivia#3518

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 schedule adjustment
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 17:30:08 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Thu, 23 Dec 2021 23:30 UTC

Mark Brader:
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days.

Sorry, make that 5 days (from the original posting).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This is as 'real' as your so-called life gets!"
msb@vex.net | "Q Who", ST:TNG, Maurice Hurley

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<sq37bp$16ek$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3519&group=rec.games.trivia#3519

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 19:22:01 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 01:22 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Arts - Canadian Artists
>
> Please see: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/02-07/art.pdf>.
> We give you the name of a well-known Canadian artist, and you
> give us the number corresponding to one of their works.
>
> 1. Tom Thomson.
> 2. Lawren Harris.
> 3. Norval Morrisseau.
> 4. Alex Colville.
> 5. Jean Paul Riopelle.
> 6. Ken Danby.
> 7. Emily Carr.
> 8. Arthur Lismer.
> 9. Kathleen Munn.
> 10. Frederick Verner.
>
> Here are the other 8 artists in alphabetical order. Decode the
> rot13 if you want to name them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Eboreg Ongrzna.
> 12. Orawnzva Purr Purr.
> 13. N.L. Wnpxfba.
> 14. Wnpdhrf Fpuretraf.
> 15. Wnpx Funqobyg.
> 16. Serqn Crzoregba Fzvgu.
> 17. Serqrevpx Ineyrl.
> 18. Ubzre Jngfba.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather
>
> 1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
> intensity?
>
> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

La Nina

> 3. What kind of storm is a haboob?
>
> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii

> 5. Meteorologists call these winds föhn winds, from the German.
> Argentinians call them zonda winds, and South Africans,
> bergwinds. What name is given to this type of wind in certain
> parts of Canada where they occur?
>
> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

Isobars

> 7. Name the 1992 hurricane that hit southern Florida, causing
> $26,500,000,000 US of damage, a record at the time.

Andrew

> 8. This weather event has been called the greatest natural disaster
> in Canadian history. Insurance claims topped $800,000,000 and
> the monthly national GDP dropped by almost 1% in January of
> the year of the event. Name this weather disaster (for full
> points include the year, within 1).
>
> 9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
> It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
> electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
> near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
> weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
> lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.
>
> 10. What common name is given to lightning that occurs so far away
> from the observer that no thunder can be heard? It is sometimes
> confused with "dry lightning" because often it's not raining
> at the observer's location.

Pete Gayde

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<8ab55565-fec6-4567-8b6b-30166347f80dn@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3520&group=rec.games.trivia#3520

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2021 18:07:40 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Fri, 24 Dec 2021 02:07 UTC

On Thursday, December 23, 2021 at 3:38:19 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Arts - Canadian Artists
>
> Please see: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/02-07/art.pdf>.
> We give you the name of a well-known Canadian artist, and you
> give us the number corresponding to one of their works.
>
> 1. Tom Thomson.

1; 2

> 2. Lawren Harris.

3; 4

> 3. Norval Morrisseau.

5; 6

> 4. Alex Colville.

7; 8

> 5. Jean Paul Riopelle.

9; 10

> 6. Ken Danby.

11; 12

> 7. Emily Carr.

13; 14

> 8. Arthur Lismer.

15; 16

> 9. Kathleen Munn.

17; 18

> 10. Frederick Verner.

1; 2

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather
>
> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

Gulf Stream

> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii
> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

isobars

> 9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
> It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
> electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
> near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
> weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
> lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.

St. Elmo's Fire

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: CanArt, weather

<sq86b7$6k1$1@dont-email.me>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3521&group=rec.games.trivia#3521

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2021 14:35:15 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Sat, 25 Dec 2021 22:35 UTC

On 12/23/21 1:38 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana Arts - Canadian Artists
>
> Please see: <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/02-07/art.pdf>.
> We give you the name of a well-known Canadian artist, and you
> give us the number corresponding to one of their works.
>
> 1. Tom Thomson.
> 2. Lawren Harris.
> 3. Norval Morrisseau.
> 4. Alex Colville.
> 5. Jean Paul Riopelle.
> 6. Ken Danby.
> 7. Emily Carr.
> 8. Arthur Lismer.
> 9. Kathleen Munn.
> 10. Frederick Verner.
>
> Here are the other 8 artists in alphabetical order. Decode the
> rot13 if you want to name them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Eboreg Ongrzna.
> 12. Orawnzva Purr Purr.
> 13. N.L. Wnpxfba.
> 14. Wnpdhrf Fpuretraf.
> 15. Wnpx Funqobyg.
> 16. Serqn Crzoregba Fzvgu.
> 17. Serqrevpx Ineyrl.
> 18. Ubzre Jngfba.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather
>
> 1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
> intensity?
>
> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

Japan Current

> 3. What kind of storm is a haboob?

wind storm

> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii

> 5. Meteorologists call these winds föhn winds, from the German.
> Argentinians call them zonda winds, and South Africans,
> bergwinds. What name is given to this type of wind in certain
> parts of Canada where they occur?

Chinook

> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

isobar

> 7. Name the 1992 hurricane that hit southern Florida, causing
> $26,500,000,000 US of damage, a record at the time.

Andrew

> 8. This weather event has been called the greatest natural disaster
> in Canadian history. Insurance claims topped $800,000,000 and
> the monthly national GDP dropped by almost 1% in January of
> the year of the event. Name this weather disaster (for full
> points include the year, within 1).
>
> 9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
> It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
> electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
> near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
> weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
> lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.

St Elmo's Fire

> 10. What common name is given to lightning that occurs so far away
> from the observer that no thunder can be heard? It is sometimes
> confused with "dry lightning" because often it's not raining
> at the observer's location.

heat lightning

--
Dan Tilque

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: CanArt, weather

<bcmdnchOXIBGN1f8nZ2dnUU7-IfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3522&group=rec.games.trivia#3522

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2, Rounds 7-8 answers: CanArt, weather
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 00:12:43 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 06:12 UTC

Mark Brader:

#14 ("The West Wind").

#3 ("North Shore Lake Superior"). 3 for Joshua.

#9 ("Self Portrait").

#10 ("To Prince Edward Island").

#5 ("Il était une fois une ville", i.e. "Once upon a Time, There
was a City").

#1 ("The Great Farewell"; that is, of course, Wayne Gretzky).

#2 ("Autumn in France").

#11 ("Cathedral Mountain").

#13 (untitled).

#18 ("Ojibway Family Gathering").

> Here are the other 8 artists in alphabetical order. Decode the
> rot13 if you want to name them for fun, but for no points.

For some reason, nobody tried these.

#4 ("On the Wing").

#6 ("Learning"). I like the rot13 version of this guy's name!

#8 ("Red Maple").

#17 ("Storm Approaching").

#15 ("Mighty in his Melon-Making").

#16 ("Barrels on the Dock").

#12 ("Self Portrait").

#7 ("Herding Sheep").

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Science - Weather

> 1. What is the name of the scale used for measuring tornado
> intensity?

(Enhanced) Fujita. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. What name is given to the ocean current responsible for keeping
> the ocean waters and air temperatures off the western coast of
> North America relatively cool?

The expected answer was Japan or Kuroshio Current, but that's the
northward current on the Asian side of the circulation. The cold
southward current along the North American coast is the California
Current, and I'm accepting both answers. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 3. What kind of storm is a haboob?

Sandstorm. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 4. The wettest place in the United States is located in which
> state? This locale average about 500 inches of rain per annum,
> and precipitation falls on over 90% of the days in the year.

Hawaii. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

> 5. Meteorologists call these winds föhn winds, from the German.
> Argentinians call them zonda winds, and South Africans,
> bergwinds. What name is given to this type of wind in certain
> parts of Canada where they occur?

Chinook. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. What is the name given to lines on a meteorological map that
> connect places of equal air pressure?

Isobars. 4 for everyone.

> 7. Name the 1992 hurricane that hit southern Florida, causing
> $26,500,000,000 US of damage, a record at the time.

Andrew. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. This weather event has been called the greatest natural disaster
> in Canadian history. Insurance claims topped $800,000,000 and
> the monthly national GDP dropped by almost 1% in January of
> the year of the event. Name this weather disaster (for full
> points include the year, within 1).

Ice storm of 1998 (accepting 1997-99).

> 9. This is a luminous, and often audible, electric discharge.
> It occurs around objects, especially pointed ones, when the
> electrical field strength near their surfaces attains a value
> near 1,000 volts per centimeter. It often occurs during stormy
> weather and might be seen on a ship's mast or yardarm, aircraft,
> lightning rods, and steeples. Name this weather phenomenon.

St. Elmo's fire (or corona discharge or corposant). 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. What common name is given to lightning that occurs so far away
> from the observer that no thunder can be heard? It is sometimes
> confused with "dry lightning" because often it's not raining
> at the observer's location.

Heat lightning. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Mis Ent Can Sci FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 40 20 28 40 3 12 128
Dan Blum 32 16 32 20 0 28 112
Pete Gayde 40 15 12 32 0 12 99
Dan Tilque 28 12 12 16 0 28 84
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 -- -- 0 8 24

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "No flames were used in the creation of
msb@vex.net | this message." -- Ray Depew