From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Subject: TN: Andy turns 18 ('04 LdH Bosconia)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2022 15:48:36 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Wed, 21 Sep 2022 19:48 UTC

Last Friday, Jean and I celebrated the 18th birthday of our son Andy,
who alas wasn't present for the festivities now that he's in college in
Maine (and actually turned 18 a few days earlier). Nonetheless, we
decided to celebrate in fine fashion with a dinner of rabbit in mustard
sauce with mashed Yukon gold potatoes and gazpacho. With this feast, we
opened a birthyear wine:

2004 Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia
nose: lovely red cherry fruit, a hint of VA, some earth and leather
palate: smooth tannins, crisp acidity, medium body, beautiful balance

An altogether lovely showing for this classic Rioja. Most notable to me
was no trace of the dill that I expect to get from its American oak
treatment. Although LdH bottles this as their "Burgundian" cuvee, Jean
found it quite Bordeaux-like.

The guest of honor, meanwhile, was celebrating a joint birthday with
another Freshman in his dorm. According to him, it was great fun, too.

Mark Lipton
--
alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx

Re: TN: Andy turns 18 ('04 LdH Bosconia)

<270d8afb-a914-4414-a81f-601d49dbcf39n@googlegroups.com>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=354&group=alt.food.wine#354

Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2022 12:01:10 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: TN: Andy turns 18 ('04 LdH Bosconia)
From: dalewill...@gmail.com (dalewilli...@gmail.com)
 by: dalewilli...@gmail.c - Thu, 22 Sep 2022 19:01 UTC

On Wednesday, September 21, 2022 at 3:48:39 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:
> Last Friday, Jean and I celebrated the 18th birthday of our son Andy,
> who alas wasn't present for the festivities now that he's in college in
> Maine (and actually turned 18 a few days earlier). Nonetheless, we
> decided to celebrate in fine fashion with a dinner of rabbit in mustard
> sauce with mashed Yukon gold potatoes and gazpacho. With this feast, we
> opened a birthyear wine:
>
> 2004 Lopez de Heredia Viña Bosconia
> nose: lovely red cherry fruit, a hint of VA, some earth and leather
> palate: smooth tannins, crisp acidity, medium body, beautiful balance
>
> An altogether lovely showing for this classic Rioja. Most notable to me
> was no trace of the dill that I expect to get from its American oak
> treatment. Although LdH bottles this as their "Burgundian" cuvee, Jean
> found it quite Bordeaux-like.
>
> The guest of honor, meanwhile, was celebrating a joint birthday with
> another Freshman in his dorm. According to him, it was great fun, too.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: RIP cwdjrx

Congratulations, on empty nest and celebration. Hard to believe he's 18.
LdH sounds great. I can never decide with rabbit in mustard sauce whether light red (PN usually) or bigger framed white.

Re: TN: Andy turns 18 ('04 LdH Bosconia)

<tgkvfm$1jod$1@gioia.aioe.org>

 copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=355&group=alt.food.wine#355

From: not...@eudrup.ude (Mark Lipton)
Newsgroups: alt.food.wine
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 2022 14:55:49 -0400
 by: Mark Lipton - Fri, 23 Sep 2022 18:55 UTC

On 9/22/22 3:01 PM, dalewilli...@gmail.com wrote:

> Congratulations, on empty nest and celebration. Hard to believe he's 18.
> LdH sounds great. I can never decide with rabbit in mustard sauce whether light red (PN usually) or bigger framed white.

Thanks, Dale. For our part, we often find a bigger-framed Gamay
(Foillard CdP e.g.) works well with this dish. If I were going with a
white, I think it'd have to be big. We don't drink white Burgundy
(Jean's become quite Chardonnay-averse in everything but bubbles) but
I'd think an Alsatian or Friulian PG might do the trick or a Pieropan Soave?

Mark Lipton