This will be a memorable month -- no matter how hard you try to forget it.

interests / rec.boats / Travel report part 2

SubjectAuthor
* Travel report part 2gfretwell
`* Re: Travel report part 2Mr. Luddite
 `* Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell
  `* Re: Travel report part 2Bill
   +* Re: Travel report part 2waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com
   |+* Re: Travel report part 2justan
   ||`* Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell
   || `* Re: Travel report part 2Bill
   ||  `* Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell
   ||   `* Re: Travel report part 2Bill
   ||    `* Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell
   ||     `- Re: Travel report part 2Bill
   |`- Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell
   `- Re: Travel report part 2gfretwell

1
Travel report part 2

<o72tsgp0o4nvf1paqi666l83cmmqiuklsd@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3522&group=rec.boats#3522

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Subject: Travel report part 2
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 00:00:08 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 05:00 UTC

We had a good visit but we thought we got stuck in Detroit. The plane
from GRR to DTW was delayed and that caused us to miss our connection
to RSW or any other plane going to Florida anywhere.
They had us routed out on a coach flight through LGA the next day.
That was totally unacceptable. First I knew missing tight connections
at LGA is more of a tradition than a rarity (La Guardia being Italian
for "an hour late"), Covid was running wild in New York and we didn't
want to fly coach after paying 3 grand to fly up front. We got to the
airport early and I started down the line talking to any gate agent
with a plane going to Florida. They managed to get us on a plane to
TPA and we took an Uber home. We ended up in Ft Myers before the milk
train through LGA would have got us here if it was on time and we were
home, not at the airport.
It was snowing in Grand Rapids before we left. Other than that the
weather was OK for the rest of the visit. High 30s and sunny.
Don't ever go to Kalkaska MI expecting anything fancy. The best hotel
in town is pretty shabby and the only real restaurant isn't much more
than a diner. Other than that it was a good visit with the kids.

https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Greg%20in%20GRR.jpg

Re: Travel report part 2

<J5Odnf0z5M_adlP8nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3523&group=rec.boats#3523

Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 06:36:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Travel report part 2
Newsgroups: rec.boats
From: noth...@noland.com (Mr. Luddite)
 by: Mr. Luddite - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:36 UTC

On 12/31/2021 12:00 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
> We had a good visit but we thought we got stuck in Detroit. The plane
> from GRR to DTW was delayed and that caused us to miss our connection
> to RSW or any other plane going to Florida anywhere.
> They had us routed out on a coach flight through LGA the next day.
> That was totally unacceptable. First I knew missing tight connections
> at LGA is more of a tradition than a rarity (La Guardia being Italian
> for "an hour late"), Covid was running wild in New York and we didn't
> want to fly coach after paying 3 grand to fly up front. We got to the
> airport early and I started down the line talking to any gate agent
> with a plane going to Florida. They managed to get us on a plane to
> TPA and we took an Uber home. We ended up in Ft Myers before the milk
> train through LGA would have got us here if it was on time and we were
> home, not at the airport.
> It was snowing in Grand Rapids before we left. Other than that the
> weather was OK for the rest of the visit. High 30s and sunny.
> Don't ever go to Kalkaska MI expecting anything fancy. The best hotel
> in town is pretty shabby and the only real restaurant isn't much more
> than a diner. Other than that it was a good visit with the kids.
>
> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Greg%20in%20GRR.jpg

I can't envision trying to fly anywhere. We just wait and let
the "kids" come to us. :-)

Seems the whole country, including Florida, is under a covid attack
again. Just read that Florida set a record this week in new cases.
Same here in Massachusetts.

So much for the "seasonal" theories with people staying indoors more
in the north. You guys in Florida are under attack as well.

https://www.avg.com

Re: Travel report part 2

<i75usglo8vuijm5ur5nkk7pumb6huse413@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3524&group=rec.boats#3524

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:54:28 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 14:54 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 06:36:39 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
wrote:

>On 12/31/2021 12:00 AM, gfretwell@aol.com wrote:
>> We had a good visit but we thought we got stuck in Detroit. The plane
>> from GRR to DTW was delayed and that caused us to miss our connection
>> to RSW or any other plane going to Florida anywhere.
>> They had us routed out on a coach flight through LGA the next day.
>> That was totally unacceptable. First I knew missing tight connections
>> at LGA is more of a tradition than a rarity (La Guardia being Italian
>> for "an hour late"), Covid was running wild in New York and we didn't
>> want to fly coach after paying 3 grand to fly up front. We got to the
>> airport early and I started down the line talking to any gate agent
>> with a plane going to Florida. They managed to get us on a plane to
>> TPA and we took an Uber home. We ended up in Ft Myers before the milk
>> train through LGA would have got us here if it was on time and we were
>> home, not at the airport.
>> It was snowing in Grand Rapids before we left. Other than that the
>> weather was OK for the rest of the visit. High 30s and sunny.
>> Don't ever go to Kalkaska MI expecting anything fancy. The best hotel
>> in town is pretty shabby and the only real restaurant isn't much more
>> than a diner. Other than that it was a good visit with the kids.
>>
>> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Greg%20in%20GRR.jpg
>

>I can't envision trying to fly anywhere. We just wait and let
>the "kids" come to us. :-)
>
>Seems the whole country, including Florida, is under a covid attack
>again. Just read that Florida set a record this week in new cases.
>Same here in Massachusetts.
>
>So much for the "seasonal" theories with people staying indoors more
>in the north. You guys in Florida are under attack as well.

Just based on what I saw at the airport "the north" came here last
week.
I don't really believe this has much to do with staying inside, just
the fact that people are not staying inside alone. I read an article
last night that said the average infected person may infect 10 more
people with Omicron.
CNN reports that they are now admitting cloth masks are just "face
decorations". I don't know if this is just the CNN "expert" or the
scientific community in general.
I had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane but I was doing
it is correctly as possible using a Chinese surgical mask that I
replaced with new every time I took it off. Then I disposed of it in
the trash and sanitized my hands.
I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who
were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were
looking at me like I was crazy.
The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks
but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask
back up.
OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid
germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking
insanity.
Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask
off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one.
Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We
have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long
before covid.

Re: Travel report part 2

<sqn9m3$e3p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3525&group=rec.boats#3525

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:04:20 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:vFh7eHb/sLqKaOis4niwqgOAcQ4=
 by: Bill - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:04 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
> the trash and sanitized my hands.
> I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who
> were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were
> looking at me like I was crazy.
> The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks
> but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask
> back up.
> OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid
> germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking
> insanity.
> Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask
> off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one.
> Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We
> have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long

Where’s the shorts?

Re: Travel report part 2

<2946213b-95c0-48d6-8917-02d1bfb4bd1cn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3526&group=rec.boats#3526

Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:43:31 -0800 (PST)
From: wayne.be...@gmail.com (waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com)
 by: waynebatrecdotboats@ - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:43 UTC

On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:04:22 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
> <gfre...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 06:36:39 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" <not...@noland.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I can't envision trying to fly anywhere. We just wait and let
> >> the "kids" come to us. :-)
> >>
> >> Seems the whole country, including Florida, is under a covid attack
> >> again. Just read that Florida set a record this week in new cases.
> >> Same here in Massachusetts.
> >>
> >> So much for the "seasonal" theories with people staying indoors more
> >> in the north. You guys in Florida are under attack as well.
> >
> > Just based on what I saw at the airport "the north" came here last
> > week.
> > I don't really believe this has much to do with staying inside, just
> > the fact that people are not staying inside alone. I read an article
> > last night that said the average infected person may infect 10 more
> > people with Omicron.
> > CNN reports that they are now admitting cloth masks are just "face
> > decorations". I don't know if this is just the CNN "expert" or the
> > scientific community in general.
> > I had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane but I was doing
> > it is correctly as possible using a Chinese surgical mask that I
> > replaced with new every time I took it off. Then I disposed of it in
> > the trash and sanitized my hands.
> > I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who
> > were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were
> > looking at me like I was crazy.
> > The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks
> > but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask
> > back up.
> > OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid
> > germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking
> > insanity.
> > Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask
> > off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one.
> > Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We
> > have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long
> > before covid.
> >
> Where’s the shorts?
==That was my first thought :-)

Re: Travel report part 2

<sqnhkf$5gu$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3527&group=rec.boats#3527

From: me...@here.com (justan)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 13:19:58 -0500 (EST)
 by: justan - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 18:19 UTC

"waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com" <wayne.beardsley@gmail.com>
Wrote in message:r
> On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:04:22 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:> <gfre...@aol.com> wrote: > > On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 06:36:39 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" <not...@noland.com> > > wrote: > > > >> On 12/31/2021 12:00 AM, gfre...@aol.com wrote: > >>> We had a good visit but we thought we got stuck in Detroit. The plane > >>> from GRR to DTW was delayed and that caused us to miss our connection > >>> to RSW or any other plane going to Florida anywhere. > >>> They had us routed out on a coach flight through LGA the next day. > >>> That was totally unacceptable. First I knew missing tight connections > >>> at LGA is more of a tradition than a rarity (La Guardia being Italian > >>> for "an hour late"), Covid was running wild in New York and we didn't > >>> want to fly coach after paying 3 grand to fly up front. We got to the > >>> airport early and I started down the line talking to any gate agent > >>> with a plane going to Florida. They managed to get us on a plane to > >>> TPA and we took an Uber home. We ended up in Ft Myers before the milk > >>> train through LGA would have got us here if it was on time and we were > >>> home, not at the airport. > >>> It was snowing in Grand Rapids before we
left. Other than that the > >>> weather was OK for the rest of the visit. High 30s and sunny. > >>> Don't ever go to Kalkaska MI expecting anything fancy. The best hotel > >>> in town is pretty shabby and the only real restaurant isn't much more > >>> than a diner. Other than that it was a good visit with the kids. > >>> > >>> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/Greg%20in%20GRR.jpg > >> > >> > >> I can't envision trying to fly anywhere. We just wait and let > >> the "kids" come to us. :-) > >> > >> Seems the whole country, including Florida, is under a covid attack > >> again. Just read that Florida set a record this week in new cases. > >> Same here in Massachusetts. > >> > >> So much for the "seasonal" theories with people staying indoors more > >> in the north. You guys in Florida are under attack as well. > > > > Just based on what I saw at the airport "the north" came here last > > week. > > I don't really believe this has much to do with staying inside, just > > the fact that people are not staying inside alone. I read an article > > last night that said the average infected person may infect 10 more > > people with Omicron. > > CNN reports that they are now admitting cloth masks are
just "face > > decorations". I don't know if this is just the CNN "expert" or the > > scientific community in general. > > I had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane but I was doing > > it is correctly as possible using a Chinese surgical mask that I > > replaced with new every time I took it off. Then I disposed of it in > > the trash and sanitized my hands. > > I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who > > were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were > > looking at me like I was crazy. > > The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks > > but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask > > back up. > > OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid > > germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking > > insanity. > > Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask > > off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one. > > Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We > > have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long > > before covid. > >> Where?s the shorts?===That
was my first thought :-)

Greg must be getting old and suffering from thinner blood. Plus
he's much too skinny for a guy his age.
--
Thanks Donald. Do you miss him yet?

----Android NewsGroup Reader----

Re: Travel report part 2

<bs1vsg1hebascporgt5eijv6a32s0tl1ib@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3528&group=rec.boats#3528

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:51:40 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:51 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 16:04:20 -0000 (UTC), Bill
<califbill9998remove8@gmail.com> wrote:

><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 06:36:39 -0500, "Mr. Luddite" <nothere@noland.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I can't envision trying to fly anywhere. We just wait and let
>>> the "kids" come to us. :-)
>>>
>>> Seems the whole country, including Florida, is under a covid attack
>>> again. Just read that Florida set a record this week in new cases.
>>> Same here in Massachusetts.
>>>
>>> So much for the "seasonal" theories with people staying indoors more
>>> in the north. You guys in Florida are under attack as well.
>>
>> Just based on what I saw at the airport "the north" came here last
>> week.
>> I don't really believe this has much to do with staying inside, just
>> the fact that people are not staying inside alone. I read an article
>> last night that said the average infected person may infect 10 more
>> people with Omicron.
>> CNN reports that they are now admitting cloth masks are just "face
>> decorations". I don't know if this is just the CNN "expert" or the
>> scientific community in general.
>> I had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane but I was doing
>> it is correctly as possible using a Chinese surgical mask that I
>> replaced with new every time I took it off. Then I disposed of it in
>> the trash and sanitized my hands.
>> I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who
>> were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were
>> looking at me like I was crazy.
>> The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks
>> but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask
>> back up.
>> OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid
>> germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking
>> insanity.
>> Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask
>> off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one.
>> Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We
>> have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long
>> before covid.
>>

>Where’s the shorts?

I was on my way to the plane. We didn't see snow until we got back to
Grand Rapids. It was relatively warm 150 miles north at that time
(36-39) and I survived just fine without the coat I forgot to bring
although I did have a hoodie on a few times.
In real life you are usually just going from the house to the car,
into a store or into the hotel. We did go out and walk around the
kid's place. They have a 10 acre wooded lot, surrounded by acreage so
you do get the country feel. I just want to do it in the summer when
stuff is alive. Dead sticks do not make an appealing walk in the
woods. Most of the time our vacations are in the spring when things
are coming back to life.

Re: Travel report part 2

<5c2vsg97ieuc788fkeep4bdhk4grql1aes@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3529&group=rec.boats#3529

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:53:55 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:53 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 09:43:31 -0800 (PST),
"waynebatrecdotboats@hotmail.com" <wayne.beardsley@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:04:22 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
>> <gfre...@aol.com> wrote:

>> > Just based on what I saw at the airport "the north" came here last
>> > week.
>> > I don't really believe this has much to do with staying inside, just
>> > the fact that people are not staying inside alone. I read an article
>> > last night that said the average infected person may infect 10 more
>> > people with Omicron.
>> > CNN reports that they are now admitting cloth masks are just "face
>> > decorations". I don't know if this is just the CNN "expert" or the
>> > scientific community in general.
>> > I had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane but I was doing
>> > it is correctly as possible using a Chinese surgical mask that I
>> > replaced with new every time I took it off. Then I disposed of it in
>> > the trash and sanitized my hands.
>> > I had a dozen in my computer case in a zip lock bag. The people who
>> > were just shoving their well worn cloth masks in their pocket were
>> > looking at me like I was crazy.
>> > The policy on the plane was just silly. They bring you food and drinks
>> > but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask
>> > back up.
>> > OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid
>> > germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking
>> > insanity.
>> > Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask
>> > off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one.
>> > Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We
>> > have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long
>> > before covid.
>> >
>> Where’s the shorts?
>===
>That was my first thought :-)

It might have been easier to get through TSA. I really got groped a
couple times on this trip. The guy offered to take me into the back
room but that wouldn't make me feel more comfortable. ;-)

Re: Travel report part 2

<kg2vsghb7kcufigt8rsn0tiulqact63fts@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3530&group=rec.boats#3530

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 17:55:34 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 22:55 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 13:19:58 -0500 (EST), justan <me@here.com> wrote:

> [...]
silly.
>They bring you food and drinks > > but tell you "pull down you mask, take a bite/sip then pull your mask > > back up. > > OK so now I have this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid > > germs all day. I handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking > > insanity. > > Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask > > off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one. > > Delta was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We > > have always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long > > before covid. > >> Where?s the shorts?===That was my first thought :-)
>
>Greg must be getting old and suffering from thinner blood. Plus

Who's skinny?
I'm 190 pounds of spring steel and rawhide, cleverly disguised as a
crotchety old redneck.

Re: Travel report part 2

<sqo4qf$q3f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3531&group=rec.boats#3531

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:47:28 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:YcyAWChwxPnRuSx4pOe3ZKG2EW8=
 by: Bill - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:47 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
> silly.
>> They bring you food and drinks > > but tell you "pull down you mask,
>> take a bite/sip then pull your mask > > back up. > > OK so now I have
>> this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid > > germs all day. I
>> handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking > > insanity. > >
>> Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask > >
>> off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one. > > Delta
>> was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We > > have
>> always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long > >
>> before covid. > >> Where?s the shorts?===That was my first thought :-)
>>
>> Greg must be getting old and suffering from thinner blood. Plus
>> he's much too skinny for a guy his age.
>
> Who's skinny?
> I'm 190 pounds of spring steel and rawhide, cleverly disguised as a

Redneck? So you are taking your wife in a cruise for New Years. Driving
around the Dairy Queen.

Re: Travel report part 2

<g7gvsghgugchq7m89m73niam0jv08lg08l@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3532&group=rec.boats#3532

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 21:50:33 -0500
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 02:50 UTC

On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:47:28 -0000 (UTC), Bill
> [...]

>>> take a bite/sip then pull your mask > > back up. > > OK so now I have
>>> this mask that has been dutifully collecting covid > > germs all day. I
>>> handle it, then I handle my food. Pure fucking > > insanity. > >
>>> Fortunately in 1st class they did not enforce that. I took my mask > >
>>> off, sanitized me hands, ate my food, then put on a new one. > > Delta
>>> was giving out sanitary wipes on the plane but we had some. We > > have
>>> always wiped down everything we could reach from our seat, long > >
>>> before covid. > >> Where?s the shorts?===That was my first thought :-)
>>>
>>> Greg must be getting old and suffering from thinner blood. Plus
>>> he's much too skinny for a guy his age.
>>
>> Who's skinny?
>> I'm 190 pounds of spring steel and rawhide, cleverly disguised as a
>> crotchety old redneck.
>>

>Redneck? So you are taking your wife in a cruise for New Years. Driving

Sounds like fun but I think we are staying home.

We did go on a New Years cruise a few years ago. That's where I got my
oar. (Nassau)
https://gfretwell.com/ftp/oar.jpg

Re: Travel report part 2

<sqogp6$hga$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3533&group=rec.boats#3533

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:11:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:lc2B2Y3UjjUtCGHPzRKUga85aDE=
 by: Bill - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:11 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:47:28 -0000 (UTC), Bill
> <califbill9998remove8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:

>>> silly.

>>> Who's skinny?
>>> I'm 190 pounds of spring steel and rawhide, cleverly disguised as a
>>> crotchety old redneck.
>>>

>> Redneck? So you are taking your wife in a cruise for New Years. Driving
>> around the Dairy Queen.
>
> Sounds like fun but I think we are staying home.
>
> We did go on a New Years cruise a few years ago. That's where I got my
> oar. (Nassau)
> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/oar.jpg

W went on a new year’s cruise when a bunch of us turned 60. Not a good
time to cruise. Weather was really windy and I think 90% of the cruise
ships in the world were in the Caribbean. Secondary and tertiary ports.
We ended up in Freeport on NY day. They opened up the shops for us as they
did not know a ship was scheduled. We did have fun with the locals.
Surprised me how many prejudice people on the cruises to a predominantly
black region.

Re: Travel report part 2

<lptvsgt6auodl239n0jc9mugog2nt1cmpc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3534&group=rec.boats#3534

From: gfretw...@aol.com
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 01 Jan 2022 01:43:18 -0500
References: <o72tsgp0o4nvf1paqi666l83cmmqiuklsd@4ax.com> <J5Odnf0z5M_adlP8nZ2dnUU7-dnNnZ2d@giganews.com> <i75usglo8vuijm5ur5nkk7pumb6huse413@4ax.com> <sqn9m3$e3p$1@dont-email.me> <2946213b-95c0-48d6-8917-02d1bfb4bd1cn@googlegroups.com> <sqnhkf$5gu$1@dont-email.me> <kg2vsghb7kcufigt8rsn0tiulqact63fts@4ax.com> <sqo4qf$q3f$1@dont-email.me> <g7gvsghgugchq7m89m73niam0jv08lg08l@4ax.com> <sqogp6$hga$1@dont-email.me>
 by: gfretw...@aol.com - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 06:43 UTC

On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:11:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill
<califbill9998remove8@gmail.com> wrote:

><gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2021 23:47:28 -0000 (UTC), Bill
>> <califbill9998remove8@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Redneck? So you are taking your wife in a cruise for New Years. Driving
>>> around the Dairy Queen.
>>
>> Sounds like fun but I think we are staying home.
>>
>> We did go on a New Years cruise a few years ago. That's where I got my
>> oar. (Nassau)
>> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/oar.jpg
>>

>W went on a new year’s cruise when a bunch of us turned 60. Not a good
>time to cruise. Weather was really windy and I think 90% of the cruise
>ships in the world were in the Caribbean. Secondary and tertiary ports.
>We ended up in Freeport on NY day. They opened up the shops for us as they
>did not know a ship was scheduled. We did have fun with the locals.
>Surprised me how many prejudice people on the cruises to a predominantly
>black region.

I think a lot of people are confused about the Caribbean. The island
paradises are carved out of slums, much like Mexico.

Re: Travel report part 2

<sqq3k1$esb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3535&group=rec.boats#3535

From: califbil...@gmail.com (Bill)
Newsgroups: rec.boats
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2022 17:39:13 -0000 (UTC)
<lptvsgt6auodl239n0jc9mugog2nt1cmpc@4ax.com>
sha1:33+Ruwf8MsvxihA79J0LQsi9ZdQ=
 by: Bill - Sat, 1 Jan 2022 17:39 UTC

<gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jan 2022 03:11:34 -0000 (UTC), Bill
> <califbill9998remove8@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <gfretwell@aol.com> wrote:

>>> Sounds like fun but I think we are staying home.
>>>
>>> We did go on a New Years cruise a few years ago. That's where I got my
>>> oar. (Nassau)
>>> https://gfretwell.com/ftp/oar.jpg
>>>

>> W went on a new year’s cruise when a bunch of us turned 60. Not a good
>> time to cruise. Weather was really windy and I think 90% of the cruise
>> ships in the world were in the Caribbean. Secondary and tertiary ports.
>> We ended up in Freeport on NY day. They opened up the shops for us as they
>> did not know a ship was scheduled. We did have fun with the locals.
>> Surprised me how many prejudice people on the cruises to a predominantly
>> black region.
>
> I think a lot of people are confused about the Caribbean. The island
> paradises are carved out of slums, much like Mexico.

Other than maybe Cuba and Hispaniola, most of the islands were too small
and not enough topsoil to grow decent crops. So, other than tourist
destinations, not much going for them. And then the politics of Haiti,
from Emperor Dessalines, to now, make it a giant slum, that can never be
self sufficient. Since all,the top soil on that side of Hispaniola is
gone, they could never feed themselves.