Nobody ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the bright side of something.

interests / rec.games.trivia / RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2 (sorry, not 3), Rounds 9-10 answers: 1812 war, colors challenge

SubjectAuthor
* RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengeMark Brader
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengeDan Blum
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengeErland Sommarskog
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengeJoshua Kreitzer
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengeDan Tilque
+- Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challengePete Gayde
`- RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2 (sorry, not 3), Rounds 9-10 answers: 1812 war, colors challenMark Brader

1
RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<M-SdnRmXELPaNlf8nZ2dnUU7-RfNnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3523&group=rec.games.trivia#3523

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 00:14:31 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 06:14 UTC

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812

Here are ten questions on a seminal period in the early history
of Canada.

1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?

2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
unnecessary. Name it.

4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

5. What was the name of the famous Shawnee Indian leader who
helped keep the Americans at bay in what is now Southern
Ontario, near Detroit?

6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
"We have met the enemy and they are ours."

7. This battle 1813-04-27 was an overwhelming American victory.
The success of the operation was marred by acts of arson and
looting carried out by the American forces. Name the battle.

8. In August 1814 the British took their revenge for <answer 7>
and other American raids into Canada. What revenge?

9. Who, on 1813-05-27, warned a combined force of British soldiers
and Mohawk warriors about the advancing Americans, giving them
time to prepare for and win the Battle of Beaver Dams?

10. Which city in Eastern Ontario is named after the man known as
the "Hero of Upper Canada"?

** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors

* A. Green Party of Canada

A1. Which federal riding """does""" Green Party leader Elizabeth
May represent?

A2. Which former NHL tough guy, a francophone who last played
for the Canadiens in 2010, """is""" a Deputy Leader of the
Green Party?

* B. Blue Light

B1. What term refers to the shortening of the wavelength of
light as the source moves towards the observer, due to the
Doppler effect?

B2. What property of visible blue light, as opposed to other
colors in the visible spectrum of light such as yellow or
red, causes the sky to appear blue?

* C. Red Rock Bands

C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?
C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
rock band?

* D. Black Geography

D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?
D2. The Black Country is an area just to the north and west of
which major UK city?

* E. Orange History

E1. Who is the """current""" head of the House of Orange-Nassau?
E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
century?

* F. White: The Human Body

F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?
F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

--
Mark Brader |"I am at a loss to figure a good reason why it was done.
Toronto | In fact I cannot think of a bad reason either!"

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<sqeaou$ese$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3524&group=rec.games.trivia#3524

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 06:27:42 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 06:27 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812

> 1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
> trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
> American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?

impress sailors

> 2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

Treaty of Ghent

> 3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
> place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
> unnecessary. Name it.

Battle of New Orleans

> 4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

Andrew Jackson

> 5. What was the name of the famous Shawnee Indian leader who
> helped keep the Americans at bay in what is now Southern
> Ontario, near Detroit?

Tecumseh

> 6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
> fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
> "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

Perry

> 8. In August 1814 the British took their revenge for <answer 7>
> and other American raids into Canada. What revenge?

burning the White House

> 9. Who, on 1813-05-27, warned a combined force of British soldiers
> and Mohawk warriors about the advancing Americans, giving them
> time to prepare for and win the Battle of Beaver Dams?

Secord

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors

> * B. Blue Light

> B1. What term refers to the shortening of the wavelength of
> light as the source moves towards the observer, due to the
> Doppler effect?

blue shift

> * C. Red Rock Bands

> C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
> rock band?

Red Hot Chili Peppers

> * D. Black Geography

> D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?

South Dakota

> * E. Orange History

> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?

Orange Free State

> * F. White: The Human Body

> F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?

lymphocytes

> F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

sclera

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<XnsAE0ED02F7B709Yazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3525&group=rec.games.trivia#3525

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 20:27:55 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Tue, 28 Dec 2021 19:27 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * B. Blue Light
>
> * C. Red Rock Bands
>
> C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?

Red Rider

> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?

Orange Free State

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<6f87812e-f081-42ca-a0d4-17e028f74744n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3526&group=rec.games.trivia#3526

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 17:07:04 -0800 (PST)
From: gromi...@hotmail.com (Joshua Kreitzer)
 by: Joshua Kreitzer - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 01:07 UTC

On Tuesday, December 28, 2021 at 12:14:36 AM UTC-6, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812
>
> Here are ten questions on a seminal period in the early history
> of Canada.
>
> 1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
> trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
> American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?

impress (force) sailors into the Royal Navy
> 2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

Treaty of Ghent; Treaty of Paris

> 3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
> place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
> unnecessary. Name it.

Battle of New Orleans

> 4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

Andrew Jackson

> 6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
> fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
> "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

Perry

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors
>
> * B. Blue Light
>
> B2. What property of visible blue light, as opposed to other
> colors in the visible spectrum of light such as yellow or
> red, causes the sky to appear blue?

Rayleigh scattering

> * C. Red Rock Bands
>
> C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?

Red Rider

> C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
> rock band?

Red Hot Chili Peppers

> * D. Black Geography
>
> D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?

South Dakota

> * E. Orange History
>
> E1. Who is the """current""" head of the House of Orange-Nassau?

King Willem Alexander

> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?

Orange Free State

> * F. White: The Human Body
>
> F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?

leukocytes

> F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

uvea

--
Joshua Kreitzer
gromit82@hotmail.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<sqh2m1$bop$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3527&group=rec.games.trivia#3527

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2021 23:27:59 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Wed, 29 Dec 2021 07:27 UTC

On 12/27/21 10:14 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812
>
> Here are ten questions on a seminal period in the early history
> of Canada.
>
> 1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
> trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
> American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?

impress seamen

> 2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

Treaty of Ghent

> 3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
> place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
> unnecessary. Name it.

Battle of New Orleans

> 4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

Andrew Jackson

> 5. What was the name of the famous Shawnee Indian leader who
> helped keep the Americans at bay in what is now Southern
> Ontario, near Detroit?

Tecumseh

> 6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
> fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
> "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

Perry

> 7. This battle 1813-04-27 was an overwhelming American victory.
> The success of the operation was marred by acts of arson and
> looting carried out by the American forces. Name the battle.
>
> 8. In August 1814 the British took their revenge for <answer 7>
> and other American raids into Canada. What revenge?

burning the White House

> 9. Who, on 1813-05-27, warned a combined force of British soldiers
> and Mohawk warriors about the advancing Americans, giving them
> time to prepare for and win the Battle of Beaver Dams?
>
> 10. Which city in Eastern Ontario is named after the man known as
> the "Hero of Upper Canada"?
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors
>
> * A. Green Party of Canada
>
> A1. Which federal riding """does""" Green Party leader Elizabeth
> May represent?
>
> A2. Which former NHL tough guy, a francophone who last played
> for the Canadiens in 2010, """is""" a Deputy Leader of the
> Green Party?
>

> * B. Blue Light
>
> B1. What term refers to the shortening of the wavelength of
> light as the source moves towards the observer, due to the
> Doppler effect?

blue shift

> B2. What property of visible blue light, as opposed to other
> colors in the visible spectrum of light such as yellow or
> red, causes the sky to appear blue?

shorter wavelengths are preferentially Rayleigh scattered

> * C. Red Rock Bands
>
> C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?
> C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
> rock band?
>

> * D. Black Geography
>
> D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?

South Dakota

> D2. The Black Country is an area just to the north and west of
> which major UK city?

Manchester

> * E. Orange History
>
> E1. Who is the """current""" head of the House of Orange-Nassau?
> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?

Orange Free State

> * F. White: The Human Body
>
> F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?
> F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 9-10: 1812 war, colors challenge

<sqlfog$11dp$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3528&group=rec.games.trivia#3528

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 17:35:45 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:35 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812
>
> Here are ten questions on a seminal period in the early history
> of Canada.
>
> 1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
> trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
> American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?
>
> 2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

Treaty of Paris

> 3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
> place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
> unnecessary. Name it.

Battle of New Orleans

> 4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

John Paul Jones

> 5. What was the name of the famous Shawnee Indian leader who
> helped keep the Americans at bay in what is now Southern
> Ontario, near Detroit?
>
> 6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
> fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
> "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

Peary

> 7. This battle 1813-04-27 was an overwhelming American victory.
> The success of the operation was marred by acts of arson and
> looting carried out by the American forces. Name the battle.
>
> 8. In August 1814 the British took their revenge for <answer 7>
> and other American raids into Canada. What revenge?

Burned the White House

> 9. Who, on 1813-05-27, warned a combined force of British soldiers
> and Mohawk warriors about the advancing Americans, giving them
> time to prepare for and win the Battle of Beaver Dams?
>
> 10. Which city in Eastern Ontario is named after the man known as
> the "Hero of Upper Canada"?

Kitchener; Windsor

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors
>
> * A. Green Party of Canada
>
> A1. Which federal riding """does""" Green Party leader Elizabeth
> May represent?
>
> A2. Which former NHL tough guy, a francophone who last played
> for the Canadiens in 2010, """is""" a Deputy Leader of the
> Green Party?

Domi

> * B. Blue Light
>
> B1. What term refers to the shortening of the wavelength of
> light as the source moves towards the observer, due to the
> Doppler effect?
>
> B2. What property of visible blue light, as opposed to other
> colors in the visible spectrum of light such as yellow or
> red, causes the sky to appear blue?

Reflection; Refraction

> * C. Red Rock Bands
>
> C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?
> C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
> rock band?
>

> * D. Black Geography
>
> D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?

South Dakota

> D2. The Black Country is an area just to the north and west of
> which major UK city?
>

> * E. Orange History
>
> E1. Who is the """current""" head of the House of Orange-Nassau?

Beatrix; Wilhelmina

> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?
>

> * F. White: The Human Body
>
> F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?
> F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

Uvea

Pete Gayde

RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2 (sorry, not 3), Rounds 9-10 answers: 1812 war, colors challenge

<9eSdnTAcO_QhB1P8nZ2dnUU7-U3NnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3529&group=rec.games.trivia#3529

Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 2 (sorry, not 3), Rounds 9-10 answers: 1812 war, colors challenge
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 23:53:00 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Fri, 31 Dec 2021 05:53 UTC

Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-01-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2021-07-20 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

Game 2 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER has won by 11 points.
Congratulations, sir!

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Canadiana History - The War of 1812

> Here are ten questions on a seminal period in the early history
> of Canada.

This was the second-easiest round in the original game, after
current events.

> 1. One of the reasons for the war was British interference with
> trade between the US and France. British ships would stop
> American vessels at sea, board them, and do what?

Steal crew members. More precisely, "impress" (conscript) American
sailors into the Royal Navy on the basis that they were British.
4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. What was the name of the treaty that ended the war?

Treaty of Ghent (December 1814). 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.
3 for Joshua.

> 3. Due to the slow communications of the time, this battle took
> place after the <answer 2> was signed, and was thus totally
> unnecessary. Name it.

Battle of New Orleans (January 1815). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

The state of war actually lasted until February 1815, because the US
not only had to hear about the treaty, they also had to ratify it.
But the treaty specified that territorial gains by either side during
the war were nullified, so even if the British had won the battle
of New Orleans -- which they didn't -- it would not have mattered.

> 4. Who was the American commander at <answer 3>?

Andrew Jackson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What was the name of the famous Shawnee Indian leader who
> helped keep the Americans at bay in what is now Southern
> Ontario, near Detroit?

Tecumseh. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Who was the American commander of the victorious American
> fleet in the Battle of Lake Erie? He uttered the famous phrase,
> "We have met the enemy and they are ours."

Oliver Hazard Perry. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. This battle 1813-04-27 was an overwhelming American victory.
> The success of the operation was marred by acts of arson and
> looting carried out by the American forces. Name the battle.

Battle of (Fort) York.

> 8. In August 1814 the British took their revenge for <answer 7>
> and other American raids into Canada. What revenge?

They burned the White House and other public buildings in Washington.
4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

The British made one exception -- for the patent office, after its
director argued that its contents were of value to all mankind.

Ironically, in 1836, after work had begun on a new fireproof
building for the patent office to move into, its existing building
was destroyed in an accidental fire and most of the information in it
was lost. The patent department did learn from this to make off-site
backup copies, so that when a large part of the new fireproof building
was in turn destroyed by an even larger accidental fire in 1877,
this time they were able to recover most of the information.

> 9. Who, on 1813-05-27, warned a combined force of British soldiers
> and Mohawk warriors about the advancing Americans, giving them
> time to prepare for and win the Battle of Beaver Dams?

Laura Secord. 4 for Dan Blum.

She didn't really have any connection with the chocolate/candy stores
named after her.

> 10. Which city in Eastern Ontario is named after the man known as
> the "Hero of Upper Canada"?

Brockville. (Sir Isaac Brock.)

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - The Challenge Round of Colors

> * A. Green Party of Canada

> A1. Which federal riding """does""" Green Party leader Elizabeth
> May represent?

Saanich -- Gulf Islands (either part was sufficient). (She still
represents the riding but is no longer the party leader.)

> A2. Which former NHL tough guy, a francophone who last played
> for the Canadiens in 2010, """is""" a Deputy Leader of the
> Green Party?

Georges Laraque. (Still alive, no longer active in the party.)

> * B. Blue Light

> B1. What term refers to the shortening of the wavelength of
> light as the source moves towards the observer, due to the
> Doppler effect?

Blue shift. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> B2. What property of visible blue light, as opposed to other
> colors in the visible spectrum of light such as yellow or
> red, causes the sky to appear blue?

It's more easily scattered. In the original game "has a shorter
wavelength" was also accepted, so I'm reluctantly accepting that too,
but not just "wavelength". 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque.

> * C. Red Rock Bands

> C1. Which Canadian rock band did Tom Cochrane lead in the 1980s?

Red Rider. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> C2. Anthony Kiedis """is""" the vocalist for which well-known
> rock band?

Red Hot Chili Peppers. (Still alive and still true.) 4 for Dan Blum
and Joshua.

> * D. Black Geography

> D1. The Black Hills are predominately located in which US state?

South Dakota. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> D2. The Black Country is an area just to the north and west of
> which major UK city?

Birmingham.

> * E. Orange History

> E1. Who is the """current""" head of the House of Orange-Nassau?

2012 answer: Queen Beatrix. 2021 answer: King Willem-Alexander.
(Netherlands.) 4 for Joshua. 3 for Pete.

> E2. What was the exact name of the independent Boer republic
> in southern Africa during the second half of the 19th
> century?

Orange Free State. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> * F. White: The Human Body

> F1. What is the scientific name for white blood cells?

Leukocytes. (Not lymphocytes, which are a particular type of
leukocytes.) 4 for Joshua.

> F2. What is the scientific name for the white of the eye?

Sclera. 4 for Dan Blum.

The uvea is the next layer inward from the sclera.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Mis Ent Can Sci Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 20 28 40 3 12 19 28 175
Dan Blum 32 16 32 20 0 28 32 20 164
Dan Tilque 28 12 12 16 0 28 28 16 128
Pete Gayde 40 15 12 32 0 12 12 7 123
Erland Sommarskog 0 16 -- -- 0 8 0 8 32

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I usually sign my name "J O backspace o h n"
msb@vex.net | -- John Chew