Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Subject: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: CanTennis, movie quotes
From: msb...@vex.net (Mark Brader)
Supersedes: <6aCdnYYJ36l9CE_8nZ2dnUU7-e3NnZ2d@giganews.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 02:21:55 -0600
 by: Mark Brader - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 08:21 UTC

Once again I started a new question set without starting a new thread.
Please respond in either thread, but preferably this one. Sorry.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 4 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Tennis

*Note*: Sorry, but I don't understand the organization of tennis
tournaments well enough to try updating this round. Only the
answers that were correct in 2012 will be accepted.

1. Name the Canadian tennis pro from Thornhill who """has already
won""" 2 ATP tournaments in his young career.

2. Name either the *city* where <answer 1> won """*last* year""".
or the *country* where he won """earlier *this* year""".

3. Who was the last Canadian male tennis player prior to <answer 1>
to win the singles event at an ATP tournament? He """is"""
perhaps best known for his tennis defection to Great Britain.

4. Name the Canadian who """is""" #1 all-time in doubles wins
and """has won""" a career Grand Slam in doubles and """is
currently""" #3 in the world in doubles.

5. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
the previous question. Ng juvpu Bylzcvpf qvq Qnavry Arfgbe
naq Fronfgvra Ynernh grnz hc gb jva n qbhoyrf tbyq zrqny?
Tvir gur lrne be gur pvgl.

6. Which corporation """is the current""" title sponsor of the
"""two""" high-level tour events, one for males and one for
females, that are annually played in Canada?

7. Name the woman tennis player who """is currently""" the
highest-ranked Canadian in the world.

8. Name the Canadian tennis player, a fixture on the tour from the
mid-1980's through the early 1990's, who was known as Hurricane
Helen.

9. Name the Canadian female tennis player who reached #8 in the
1980s and starred in the movie "Spring Fever". She married
fellow tennis pro Robert Seguso.

10. In which Canadian city """is""" the Davis Cup tie with France
being played next weekend?

* Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Quotes

In each case, name the movie that featured the line and made it famous.

1. "As you wish."
2. "They call me Mr. Tibbs!"
3. "You can't handle the truth."
4. "There's no crying in baseball!"
5. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."
6. "What we have here... is failure to communicate."
7. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
8. "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."
9. "Surely you can't be serious."
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."
10. "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is
no basis for a system of government."

--
Mark Brader | I hate to get pedantic [*], but...
Toronto | [*] I also lie a lot.

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: CanTennis, movie quotes

<sqv7pp$bfo$1@reader1.panix.com>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3540&group=rec.games.trivia#3540

From: too...@panix.com (Dan Blum)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:21:13 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Dan Blum - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 16:21 UTC

Mark Brader <msb@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Tennis

> 2. Name either the *city* where <answer 1> won """*last* year""".
> or the *country* where he won """earlier *this* year""".

Australia; United Kingdom

> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Ng juvpu Bylzcvpf qvq Qnavry Arfgbe
> naq Fronfgvra Ynernh grnz hc gb jva n qbhoyrf tbyq zrqny?
> Tvir gur lrne be gur pvgl.

1992; 1996

> 10. In which Canadian city """is""" the Davis Cup tie with France
> being played next weekend?

Vancouver; Halifax

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Quotes

> 1. "As you wish."

The Princess Bride

> 2. "They call me Mr. Tibbs!"

In the Heat of the Night

> 3. "You can't handle the truth."

A Few Good Men

> 4. "There's no crying in baseball!"

A League of Their Own

> 5. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Apocalypse Now

> 6. "What we have here... is failure to communicate."

Cool Hand Luke

> 7. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Dr. Strangelove

> 8. "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 9. "Surely you can't be serious."
> "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Airplane!

> 10. "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is
> no basis for a system of government."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Dan Blum tool@panix.com

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: CanTennis, movie quotes

<XnsAE14D0E16910AYazorman@127.0.0.1>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3541&group=rec.games.trivia#3541

From: esq...@sommarskog.se (Erland Sommarskog)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2022 20:32:01 +0100
 by: Erland Sommarskog - Mon, 3 Jan 2022 19:32 UTC

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 4 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Tennis
>
> *Note*: Sorry, but I don't understand the organization of tennis
> tournaments well enough to try updating this round. Only the
> answers that were correct in 2012 will be accepted.

And I don't know Canadian tennis enough to even try.
> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Quotes

And I am very bad at movie quotes too, but I making too guesses.
Don't laugh too loud if they are wrong!

> 5. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Deer Hunter

> 8. "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."

2001 - A Space Oddessy

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: CanTennis, movie quotes

<sr1960$5oj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3545&group=rec.games.trivia#3545

From: dtil...@frontier.com (Dan Tilque)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2022 02:57:01 -0800
 by: Dan Tilque - Tue, 4 Jan 2022 10:57 UTC

On 1/3/22 12:21 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Tennis
>
> *Note*: Sorry, but I don't understand the organization of tennis
> tournaments well enough to try updating this round. Only the
> answers that were correct in 2012 will be accepted.
>
> 1. Name the Canadian tennis pro from Thornhill who """has already
> won""" 2 ATP tournaments in his young career.
>
> 2. Name either the *city* where <answer 1> won """*last* year""".
> or the *country* where he won """earlier *this* year""".
>
> 3. Who was the last Canadian male tennis player prior to <answer 1>
> to win the singles event at an ATP tournament? He """is"""
> perhaps best known for his tennis defection to Great Britain.
>
> 4. Name the Canadian who """is""" #1 all-time in doubles wins
> and """has won""" a career Grand Slam in doubles and """is
> currently""" #3 in the world in doubles.
>
> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Ng juvpu Bylzcvpf qvq Qnavry Arfgbe
> naq Fronfgvra Ynernh grnz hc gb jva n qbhoyrf tbyq zrqny?
> Tvir gur lrne be gur pvgl.
>
> 6. Which corporation """is the current""" title sponsor of the
> """two""" high-level tour events, one for males and one for
> females, that are annually played in Canada?
>
> 7. Name the woman tennis player who """is currently""" the
> highest-ranked Canadian in the world.
>
> 8. Name the Canadian tennis player, a fixture on the tour from the
> mid-1980's through the early 1990's, who was known as Hurricane
> Helen.
>
> 9. Name the Canadian female tennis player who reached #8 in the
> 1980s and starred in the movie "Spring Fever". She married
> fellow tennis pro Robert Seguso.
>
> 10. In which Canadian city """is""" the Davis Cup tie with France
> being played next weekend?
>

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Quotes
>
> In each case, name the movie that featured the line and made it famous.
>
> 1. "As you wish."

The Princess Bride

> 2. "They call me Mr. Tibbs!"

In the Heat of the Night

> 3. "You can't handle the truth."

A Few Good Men

> 4. "There's no crying in baseball!"

Field of Dreams ??

> 5. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Apocalypse Now

> 6. "What we have here... is failure to communicate."
> 7. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Dr Strangelove

> 8. "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 9. "Surely you can't be serious."
> "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Airplane!

> 10. "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is
> no basis for a system of government."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

--
Dan Tilque

Re: RQFTCIFFF12 Game 3, Rounds 4,6: CanTennis, movie quotes

<sr3dtu$v7d$1@gioia.aioe.org>

  copy mid

https://www.novabbs.com/interests/article-flat.php?id=3548&group=rec.games.trivia#3548

From: pete.ga...@gmail.com (Pete Gayde)
Newsgroups: rec.games.trivia
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 00:30:22 -0600
 by: Pete Gayde - Wed, 5 Jan 2022 06:30 UTC

Mark Brader wrote:
> Once again I started a new question set without starting a new thread.
> Please respond in either thread, but preferably this one. Sorry.
>
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2012-02-06,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of Footloose and Firkin Free, but have been reformatted
> and may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """ notation
> that may appear in these rounds, see my 2021-07-20 companion posting
> on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 3, Round 4 - Canadiana Sports - Canadian Tennis
>
> *Note*: Sorry, but I don't understand the organization of tennis
> tournaments well enough to try updating this round. Only the
> answers that were correct in 2012 will be accepted.
>
> 1. Name the Canadian tennis pro from Thornhill who """has already
> won""" 2 ATP tournaments in his young career.
>
> 2. Name either the *city* where <answer 1> won """*last* year""".
> or the *country* where he won """earlier *this* year""".
>
> 3. Who was the last Canadian male tennis player prior to <answer 1>
> to win the singles event at an ATP tournament? He """is"""
> perhaps best known for his tennis defection to Great Britain.
>
> 4. Name the Canadian who """is""" #1 all-time in doubles wins
> and """has won""" a career Grand Slam in doubles and """is
> currently""" #3 in the world in doubles.
>
> 5. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished with
> the previous question. Ng juvpu Bylzcvpf qvq Qnavry Arfgbe
> naq Fronfgvra Ynernh grnz hc gb jva n qbhoyrf tbyq zrqny?
> Tvir gur lrne be gur pvgl.
>
> 6. Which corporation """is the current""" title sponsor of the
> """two""" high-level tour events, one for males and one for
> females, that are annually played in Canada?
>
> 7. Name the woman tennis player who """is currently""" the
> highest-ranked Canadian in the world.

Eugenie Bouchard

> 8. Name the Canadian tennis player, a fixture on the tour from the
> mid-1980's through the early 1990's, who was known as Hurricane
> Helen.
>
> 9. Name the Canadian female tennis player who reached #8 in the
> 1980s and starred in the movie "Spring Fever". She married
> fellow tennis pro Robert Seguso.
>
> 10. In which Canadian city """is""" the Davis Cup tie with France
> being played next weekend?

Vancouver; Montreal

> * Game 3, Round 6 - Entertainment - Movie Quotes
>
> In each case, name the movie that featured the line and made it famous.
>
> 1. "As you wish."
> 2. "They call me Mr. Tibbs!"

In the Heat of the Night

> 3. "You can't handle the truth."

A Few Good Men

> 4. "There's no crying in baseball!"

A League of their Own

> 5. "I love the smell of napalm in the morning."

Apocalypse Now

> 6. "What we have here... is failure to communicate."

Cool Hand Luke

> 7. "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

Dr. Strangelove

> 8. "Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose any more. Goodbye."

2001: A Space Odyssey

> 9. "Surely you can't be serious > "I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Airplane

> 10. "Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is
> no basis for a system of government."

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Pete Gayde