Newsgroups: soc.genealogy.medieval
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2021 18:14:03 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: Francis Hutton, father-in-law of George Thomason
From: jsmog...@gmail.com (Joel Rane)
 by: Joel Rane - Wed, 15 Dec 2021 02:14 UTC

On Monday, March 1, 2021 at 7:37:30 PM UTC-8, davt...@gmail.com wrote:
> Can anyone tell me whether Sir Richard Hutton of Goldsborough, Justice of the Common Pleas (1560-1639), who was descended from Edward III via Lionel of Antwerp, and his wife Agnes Briggs, were the parents of the Francis Hutton who was in the retinue of Count Gondomar?
>
> Francis Hutton and his wife, Mary Fetherston, an aunt of the first baronet Fetherston, were the parents of the Katherine Hutton who married George Thomason, the collector of the English Civil Wars-era tracts now in the British Library.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Greetings,
I know I am late to the game, but I can't find any evidence for Francis, or that he was part of the "retinue" of Count Gondomar. I did find that a Henry Hutton was King James' ambassador to the Dutch Republic in the early 17th century, when it was still fresh from rebellion and not recognized by Spain, so he was mentioned in several letters by Gondomar. I don't know if this was the Henry who was one of Richard's sons either, as that Henry is named as a reverend in Cumbria.

What is interesting is that a Henry Hutton was a satirist and a poet during this period, and it could be that this poet - who is someone that George Thomason would probably have known - was the reverend who was also the son of Richard Hutton. However, he was from Durham, not Cumbria, and from his writing was related to the family of Matthew Hutton, the Archbishop of York.

It looks like it could be fun to research. For the record, my great-grandmother was Bertha Mae Thomason of Columbus, Georgia.